• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Older Call of Dutys now have fixed matchmaking, Thousands of players return.

Anybody have any Call of Duty recommendations for someone that despises espionage and military engagements, but enjoys sci-fi and pop-culture references?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
World at War stayed above 1k players all night. Felt great to play it again. I even got numerous games on DLC maps. I had all three map packs on an old 360 account and added it to my console and there they were, ready to install.

Also saw my first hacker. The name was shining in the lobby and then he put a message on the screen that said “god mode” but then the game crashed. Idk if he caused it or not, lobbies were crashing all night.
Ya. I tried last night and had 1600 people. Got a few games in right away no problem. Then 3 connection interrupted in a row. Then I hopped to BO 1 and got some more disconnects.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is the issue with SBMM, because its got to link you to other players similar skill level or MMR it takes ALOT longer, wish we would scrap it
I don’t mind sbmm, just that they make it so hardcore after every match. Why can’t activision just sort the gamer pool into let’s say 30 divisions. Like older games you can stick in a lobby with the same players. The game will whisk you away to a new sbmm lobby if your stats show you moved up or down a division. That would take a bit as everyone needs to grind it out before their stats are solid enough to move.

It’s like sports. You got different divisions in minor leagues and pro. Nobody hops around different tiers every game. You move up or down after a bit of time based on your new performance.

Destiny or Apex Legends haha
I was contemplating something along the lines of Advanced Warfare based on trailers, but have no point of reference as to whether the trailers are representative of the game. There was also some game I played with someone that had an alien survival mode or something... I don't recollect the details.

Crew511A

I was contemplating something along the lines of Advanced Warfare based on trailers, but have no point of reference as to whether the trailers are representative of the game. There was also some game I played with someone that had an alien survival mode or something... I don't recollect the details.

You're probably thinking of Ghosts. Instead of Zombies, it has Extinction, which I thought was really good.

Pakoe

The older games don’t cross play with PC. So no. You get to deal with the remote code execution and kiss your PC goodbye if you risk playing those versions.
Fucking bullshit, that's why i loved the modded clients. I wanna play the older CODs but can't now that they killed the clients.

Rykan

This is the issue with SBMM, because its got to link you to other players similar skill level or MMR it takes ALOT longer, wish we would scrap it
That's not true. SBMM takes about 15 - 20 seconds. The reason why it takes longer to get into a game is because it loads the map while you're in the lobby..

Last edited:

SomeGit

And they don't even help themselves, with the rotating modes BS.

I was playing WZ2 with some friends the other day searching for a Ranked Trios match, and MM was taking so long that I booted the Xbox, started MM on CoD4, found a match and played around 3 to 4 minutes before connecting to a match in WZ2. The matchmaking is awful, and it doesn't help that they keep adding and removing modes almost at random, SBMM already takes it's time in "normal" Trios BR mode, when you remove it and only have Ranked available it's even worse.

SkylineRKR

This sold me on BLOPS 2. Just look at the fact you stay in a lobby, vote for a new level, just 3 perks, just a few weapon attachments. Its less bloated. The resolution is on the low side and the framerate isn't solid, but to me it looks more pleasing than the new MW games. The menus and the use of color, you can see enemies much easier etc.

Rykan

This sold me on BLOPS 2. Just look at the fact you stay in a lobby, vote for a new level, just 3 perks, just a few weapon attachments. Its less bloated. The resolution is on the low side and the framerate isn't solid, but to me it looks more pleasing than the new MW games. The menus and the use of color, you can see enemies much easier etc.
Older Call of Duty games were better because they were more straight forward. Just look at (new) MW2. The perk system and progression system are an overcomplicated mess that add absolutely nothing to the game. Nothing.

Treyarch's CoD games used to have this distinct style to them: They were way more gritty than the MW series and, in my opinion, were the best CoDs. Black Ops 2 is my favorite one.

Good old days. No crossplay, No clown weapon skins, no characters dressed up as superheroes. Not having dedicated servers was the only downside of old CoD.

Last edited:

SomeGit

Older Call of Duty games were better because they were more straight forward. Just look at (new) MW2. The perk system and progression system are an overcomplicated mess that add absolutely nothing to the game. Nothing.

Treyarch's CoD games used to have this distinct style to them: They were way more gritty than the MW series and, in my opinion, were the best CoDs. Black Ops 2 is my favorite one.

Goold old days. No crossplay, No clown weapon skins, no characters dressed up as superheroes. Not having dedicated servers was the only downside of old CoD.

Crossplay is not even that bad if they actually pull their heads from their asses. Just create 2 pools, 1 for console controller users and 1 for the rest with aim assist disabled, for console kbm, mixed lobbies and pc players.

Boom, there goes most complaints about unfair inputs out the window.

Soulja

But it couldn't hold a candle to BO1 and BO2. Cold War comes closest to those feeling wise. Too bad there are almost no players left in the HC playlists

Oh I know that, blops 1 & 2 are for sure better. I'm just saying blops 3 was the last cod that I enjoyed... And probably because they went hardcore with the SBMM in future releases.

Three

In the new MW2 you can switch play style to "casual" instead of "competitive" and it gets rid of SBMM. The older games get you in a lobby quicker but the experience is worse too. Both in terms of ping to other players and skill balance.

havoc00

In the new MW2 you can switch play style to "casual" instead of "competitive" and it gets rid of SBMM. The older games get you in a lobby quicker but the experience is worse too. Both in terms of ping to other players and skill balance.
Did they just add this where is it

Over 120k people playing Black Ops 1 on 360.

These are Steam top-5 concurrent player numbers.

F1NlP3bXgAA4_Zf

I remember half a year after black ops 2 launched it was 1 mill on ps3.
Now I'm not big into COD and only got on it cause someone asked but I still remember that number and being blown away by it.
I can only assume it was also a mill on xbox 360.

2 million concurrent players is nuts. I think only PUBG ever reached that (on Steam).
And maybe League and Fortnite.

Last edited:
I remember half a year after black ops 2 launched it was 1 mill on ps3.
Now I'm not big into COD and only got on it cause someone asked but I still remember that number and being blown away by it.
I can only assume it was also a mill on xbox 360.

2 million concurrent players is nuts. I think only PUBG ever reached that (on Steam).
And maybe League and Fortnite.
The 123k figure is not real. The player counter has been glitched for quite a while. Great that these games are getting a mini revival but let's be realistic

Tried jumping in on COD4 and MW2 this morning and couldn't find a single match. BLOPS was the only one that would put me in matchmaking. Hopefully it's just not a lot of people playing on a Saturday morning.

Because no one plays those. They play the remastered versions.
Lots of people are playing them now. Those games have had immediate lobbies back to back to back for a week and were just as fast to get into as Blops. I restarted my console twice and quit out of them and got back to immediate matchmaking.

There is no MW2 MP remastered.

Top Bottom