• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once Upon A Time S5 |OT| The Brave and the Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

Yeah you're right, just went and rewatched the bits
Merlin definitely gets powers 1000 years ago, then they skip to 200 years ago when he meets Nimue, but then in his convo with her he said that he drank from the holy grail 500 years ago so 700 years before Arthur

seems the show has got its own timeline wrong
200 years definitely doesn't seem long enough for the Dark One to be such a menace, not unless they're all utterly incompetent with keeping the dagger.
Do we know how long the one before Rumple was it? After all he wanted to be killed by rumple so clearly he had had enough of the whole thing
btw, dialogue in the scene was right (because I heard it). The super is wrong on the broadcast though.

7Dah8rJ.png

Ehhh, I'm tired and probably should've waited until I got up to watch, I guess Merida's story was concluded and it was cool to see Mulan again but this felt like an epilogue after the twist from the episode before it. I see why the wanted to get that episode out of the way.

I'm so, so sick of Hook at this point.

Lol at Dr. Whale's hair. It's like he did his scenes in between iZombie takes.

Also lol at the Ruby retcon.

Yeah he probably did, knowing why his hair is like that made it funnier than it would have though.

Wait what Ruby retcon?

That she was in the diner when the baby was named. She looks a bit different from what I remember.

Sober

I dunno guys, I loved both episodes. They don't really make sense together but scheduling is gonna happen. I think I agree with an AVClub comment I saw where they should've paired off the Nimue episode with the first one. Also just depends if you liked Brave or how the show seemed to keep it that part of that at arm's length compared to the rest of the core show (that I don't like as much, especially when compared to what they did with Frozen).

Ehhh, I'm tired and probably should've waited until I got up to watch, I guess Merida's story was concluded and it was cool to see Mulan again but this felt like an epilogue after the twist from the episode before it. I see why the wanted to get that episode out of the way.

I'm so, so sick of Hook at this point.
Watching Merida, Mulan, Ruby go around kicking ass and taking names was worth it being essentially a standalone episode, IMO. Especially if hopefully Mulan and Ruby either get more to do or join up with the main cast. Surprised to see how many seasons-old references they pulled out (Mulan having experience with people turned into beasts, and Aurora). I didn't see any previouslies either for those.

Also I'm also middling with Hook. I feel like the two actors have like okay chemistry most of the time and they can definitely act when they need it (Jennifer Morrison is really impressing me the past two or so seasons where she's doing a bunch more interesting stuff), but Emma and Hook on a bad day isn't really worth watching when other couples even in bad episodes (even on OUAT) are more fun to watch.

Hell a friend of mine quit watching the show over Captain Swan because of lore reasons and why it wouldn't make any sense so I can't blame her for stopping there.

That she was in the diner when the baby was named. She looks a bit different from what I remember.
I think it was fine. Could've been worse IMO. What has Ruby really been part of though, I can barely remember. Was basically BFFs with Snow when she was on the run, ate her boyfriend, try to find her pack but hated it (or something), sat in the background for a while. I think her last appearance was like when they all got sent back to the Enchanted Forest after the Peter Pan arc? Like damn that was a while ago.

I did enjoy David Anders snarking it up though!

KevinCow

Banned
So where are the dwarves, anyway? They made a big deal out of it in the first episode, all like, "No way we're getting left behind this time, sister!" but they've hardly shown up in the flashbacks at all.

zeemumu

Overall I really liked this episode. It was decently paced with a good twist and whatnot. It also kinda made Arthur unnecessary as far as the main plot goes. His role is more or less done.

Should I start keeping a counter of the amount of times Zelena's taken that bracelet off only to have it shoved back on?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Second episode was cute but was the very definition of filler
holy shit at them managing to bring up Red again

I don't understand why Hook hasn't got powers beyond not being able to die

zeemumu

Second episode was cute but was the very definition of filler
holy shit at them managing to bring up Red again

I don't understand why Hook hasn't got powers beyond not being able to die

I guess because he didn't have powers before. Merlin and Emma were inherently magical and Rumble stole his from the previous dark one. There seems to be a difference between becoming the dark one and getting bound to the dagger like Merlin and Hook

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I guess because he didn't have powers before. Merlin and Emma were inherently magical and Rumble stole his from the previous dark one. There seems to be a difference between becoming the dark one and getting bound to the dagger like Merlin and Hook

but then why they acting lie he can be another dark one? Just because he cant die?

Sober

Pretty sure that what Emma did binding Hook to Excalibur is what made him a Dark One. Like, that is what they said.

Also Hook probably has Dark One powers but Emma wiped all their memories so as far as he knows he doesn't know, so how on earth could he even try to use his powers? Not getting hurt/killed is just how they showed that Hook isn't human anymore.

Haven't watched the double episode yet but I wanted to chime in to say how much I'm digging this season so far. I especially love the Dark Soulsy vibes with the embers, spark and original flame speak. This is what attracted me to season one when I was playing the original Dark Souls and Charming was fighting dragons and lake ghosts and such. Love this aesthetic so much.

zeemumu

but then why they acting lie he can be another dark one? Just because he cant die?

Because the darkness is what's keeping him alive. He and Merlin are the only ones to become dark ones this way and Merlin already had powers so it's unclear if you get powers automatically or not because all of the dark ones with powers either already had them or inherited them from the previous dark one (aside from the original, obviously), but I'm banking on the darkness just making him a walking corpse

Pretty sure that what Emma did binding Hook to Excalibur is what made him a Dark One. Like, that is what they said.

Also Hook probably has Dark One powers but Emma wiped all their memories so as far as he knows he doesn't know, so how on earth could he even try to use his powers? Not getting hurt/killed is just how they showed that Hook isn't human anymore.

The dreamcatcher probably helped with that. He has his memories back. My guess is that he's double-crossing Zelena and will fight back the darkness. He's really become a hero over the past season or so.

Also, this is the best I've seen Jennifer Morrison act in this role since the first season. I love her more vulnerable, ferocious moments where her voice drops. She becomes really compelling in those moments.

She has been brilliant as a villain.

The standalone episode was mediocre. Mulan doesn't work for me and Ruby was just thrown in there to appease viewers. She's a better and more complicated character than what the writers are doing with her. Merida's dad was laughably bad; the accent was horrible as was the beard and wig. Just rough all around.

Also, the heroes continue to play dumb to magic, constantly letting Zelena and Arthur escape to continue on with their stupid diabolical plan. Every time it happens, it just makes me root for the bad guys even more. Regina, thankfully, knows what it takes to defeat these people but everyone else is too braindead heroic to understand.

Matt_

No new episode?
Is it just a break for a week or has it gone on the Christmas break?

zeemumu

Okay so you were right that
Hook couldn't use magic because of his amnesia, not because of a lack of ability.

Oh no it's
Dark One
Organization XIII!!!

Sober

With all the complaining I sometimes do about Hook/Emma and Belle/Rumple, damn when they start flinging shit they are always on point. Like I thought Belle was resigned to whatever status last season but when her 'dark' self in the Snow Queen's mirror fucking tore her down, I was like damn.

Hook was so fun to watch last night. Love it when the characters get all evil on each other honestly, sometimes I feel like when they're all good guys it feels really hammy and milquetoast.

sangreal

Now that Merlin is dead, I wonder if they will revisit Rumple's gift of foresight. It wasn't from being the dark one -- he took it from the seer and it seems to have been forgotten

sangreal

Okay, that was a twist I didn't see coming

Also, next half of the season looks good, with the best villains returning

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Why have
rumpel become the dark one again when you have Hades coming up? I was hoping this would be the end of that

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I mean, Rumple has been really boring lately let's not lie.

I'm glad he's the Dark One again, he's so fun when he's being devious.

sangreal

I mean, Rumple has been really boring lately let's not lie.

I'm glad he's the Dark One again, he's so fun when he's being devious.

They could have done something else like have him develop magic of his own or something idk. I too think he and the show is at its best when he is being devious but the whole dark one schtick with the dagger and everything is getting tired. I also just hate the name Dark One -- especially when there is more than one

zeemumu

Sigh...

A pretty interesting premise, though. At least it'll provide a good explanation for the returning villains. Wouldn't it be nuts if it was all Event Horizon down there?

Matt_

Kinda meh on that last episode
at least the preview looks interesting

One thing that I don't understand is why Rumple would have a dagger again, rather than just having the dark magic in him. The dagger was created as a way to control by Merlin so after the whole Excalibur was destroyed it shouldn't be a thing anymore surely?

Rodin

Last couple of episodes were s2 level of trash or even worse, didn't think they could manage that. I'm not necessarily against Rumple being the Dark One again, or Emma going to the underworld to find Hook, the problem is how we got there. Writing was beyond terrible, at some points it was like they weren't even trying anymore.

That being said, the premise for the second half of the season is pretty good, so i'm hopeful again.

Yeah, what turned into something promising with Emma becoming the Dark One ended up being lame as fuck. I never cared for the Hook/Emma relationship because it felt like one of those moments of the people in charge putting characters together to appease a certain segment of their audience but now with this season so far, ugh. I'm completely sick of Hook. The bullshit with Merlin getting killed off so incredibly uneventfully and whatever happened to Arthur and everyone from Camelot? Oh then there's the Zelena nonsense.

And how many Dark Ones were there in the like 500 or whatever years since they existed? Why is there a new dagger?? I wish Rumple and Belle could've just been written off the show, their story could've been closed, give them a happy ending and be over with it but nope, Rumple is the "Supreme Dark One" now and Belle is going to find out and more drama will ensue as she leaves him for the 700th time.

Velcro Fly

the build up was good but the payoff was meh

he went from in love with her to hating her fucking guts to in love with her over the span of like 3 episodes

he pretty much gave up his huge plan for revenge in a matter of seconds

and of course she'll go to hell for him but not for the father of her child!

and the whole dagger thing i don't get either unless it is becoming a plot point in the second half.

show is still fun for me but i'd by lying if i said i wasn't disappointed with how it ended.

KevinCow

Banned
I hate when shows make huge changes like this and then immediately return to the status quo. Why did Rumple have to become the Dark One again? Maybe they have something planned, but I don't see it resulting in anything other than what we've already had four seasons of: Rumple abuses his power in an effort to become more powerful, Belle finds out and leaves him, Rumple redeems himself somehow, Belle forgives him, repeat. It's so tired at this point.

Oh well. Maybe the Underworld will be interesting. But LOL at them bringing Henry along. They are LITERALLY GOING TO HELL, and they're just bringing the kid along like it's nothing.

Velcro Fly

would have liked rumple becoming the dark one again if it was like not his own doing

like it just defaults back to him because he was the last one before emma

and it is something that he didn't really want to have happen

but no we get the same old same old nothing changes. i kinda felt that was how it would happen.

sangreal

would have liked rumple becoming the dark one again if it was like not his own doing

like it just defaults back to him because he was the last one before emma

and it is something that he didn't really want to have happen

but no we get the same old same old nothing changes. i kinda felt that was how it would happen.

just wait until the dark curse next season that makes everyone lose their memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom