• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once Upon a Time Season 2 |OT| Only True in Fairy Tales

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

Seemed the moment they made Emma a believer is when things went a little kooky. I suppose they were dragging it out long enough that they couldn't figure out how to get her to be suspicious of her own cynicism. I realize they're writing as they go along, but they also mentioned one of the benefits the new season has over the first is more time to write compelling stories. So far it hasn't come off that way at all.

3phemeral

I almost think that he can't be a fairytale character because if he was then he wouldn't need convincing about that stuff.
Well, he was fairly ambiguous to begin with the the destiny thing. Plus, he didn't know he was Pinocchio, right? So I gather this would be like "wink, wink, nudge, nudge."

Although, this would require Pinocchio to know he was Bael, which I don't believe he ever disclosed.

Medalion

Banned
Oh god, I remember recommending a gaffer to watch this show along with Grimm. I hope he doesnt hate me!!!

This season has been complete shit! The acting, the writing, the twists, the reveals, the characters... everything just took a turn for the worse x 1000000. My gf and I both loved S1 only to be disappointing by S2. We have decided to pretty much drop it. This whole season, the episodes feel like those D-list horror movies, where they try to be serious but it just comes off as comedy because of how bad it is.
I honestly can't see how you consider the two seasons that astronomically different in quality... it has always been very hokey, questionably acted. The only thing I will say is that this season has tried way too hard in introducing more larger arcs, instead of more or less self-contained stories, to grow the mythos... they are kinda getting too ambitious.

Well, he was fairly ambiguous to begin with the the destiny thing. Plus, he didn't know he was Pinocchio, right? So I gather this would be like "wink, wink, nudge, nudge."

Although, this would require Pinocchio to know he was Bael, which I don't believe he ever disclosed.

August booth certainly knew about Baelfire in season 1 when he pretended to be rumple's son.

Didn't he also have the dark ones dagger in season 1.

So if its the case that that guy in Florida is Baelfire perhaps showing him the dark ones dagger is proof enough.

3phemeral

August booth certainly knew about Baelfire in season 1 when he pretended to be rumple's son.

Didn't he also have the dark ones dagger in season 1.

So if its the case that that guy in Florida is Baelfire perhaps showing him the dark ones dagger is proof enough.

Ah, you're right. I was wondering what the heck he could possibly show him. The only thing with the dagger, though, is Rumple still had it buried and August was actively looking for it after Emma was already in Storybrooke.

Again, as I've said before...this show needs to set up what the goals are of its characters. They're just floating around from point A to point B dealing with shit while it comes. We don't even know if the main cast wants to live in peace in harmony in SB or Fairy Tale world. The main cast has just been reacting to everything the bad guys are doing...nothing proactive. I'm not even sure what the hell people's motivations are at this point. Cora thinks her daughter wants her help after she killed the stable boy? Gold's motivation is to find his son yet he has no magic potion for him to leave the city? Regina wants to be with Henry but breaks her word and in previews is seen using magic...lol. Hook is the only bad guy who is making any lick of sense. Meanwhile the good guys have no goal whatsoever. David says he wants to take back the kingdom as a family, why? Who are you taking it back from? The Queen has no army and if she did you wouldn't kill her anyways when you fought through her soldiers. This show has played down some of its characters as just plain stupid and it really hurts the overall quality. I still have no idea why Belle likes Mr. Gold.

I was actually slightly disappointed at tonight's episode. Just because there weren't any "OMG!!!!!" moments, except maybe for Emma almost dying but it went downhill from there. I also thought for a moment Regina was going to sacrifice herself for Emma/Snow or maybe be gravely injured.

I just expected more from a mid-season finale

3phemeral

That episode certainly answered a fuckton of questions.
KuGsj.gif

Medalion

Banned
Emma is now Harry Potter... the woman, who lived
Survived the Killing Curse (aka Lady Voldemort, aka Cora)

Holy shit that was so really awkward fighting and acting in tonight's episode

I think they need to scale back on the flashiness, they do better when it's more subtle

Good ending though

The best part of the episode was the fact that in the first two minutes they answered everyone's complaints of "How the hell did Hook take Aurora's heart?" Pretty clever.

I do agree there needs to be some higher stakes. Season one had a purpose: break the curse. Season two so far has been get Emma/Mary Margaret back. As much as Cora and Hook showing up in Storybrooke was cool, the main driving force of drama has been solved. Something else needs to happen, and soon. There really needs to be a major conflict.

EulaCapra

Holy crap at all the criticisms.

Is there anyone out there that actually enjoys this season (and the first) like me knowing that things can get pretty hokey but still satisfying in the end? I'm thoroughly enjoying the season (minus the whole Giant and giant castle CGI).

Medalion

Banned
I do enjoy this season, actually overall more than the first season.

But there are moments where I laugh out loud in disbelief...yet still enjoy what they were trying to accomplish, but the show needs a better Director(s)

KevinCow

Banned
The best part of the episode was the fact that in the first two minutes they answered everyone's complaints of "How the hell did Hook take Aurora's heart?" Pretty clever.

I do agree there needs to be some higher stakes. Season one had a purpose: break the curse. Season two so far has been get Emma/Mary Margaret back. As much as Cora and Hook showing up in Storybrooke was cool, the main driving force of drama has been solved. Something else needs to happen, and soon. There really needs to be a major conflict.

I think the driving force for the rest of the season is pretty obvious: Defeat Cora.

And this will involve staying in contact with Aurora and Mulan through the flaming room and getting them to find and destroy Cora's heart.

Sober

I do enjoy this season, actually overall more than the first season.

But there are moments where I laugh out loud in disbelief...yet still enjoy what they were trying to accomplish, but the show needs a better Director(s)
This season is going at an awesome pace, but what I enjoyed about the first season was you got to see all the characters from the Enchanted Forest. I really hate padding/filler generally but I really liked the flashbacks in S1. Some Storybrooke/curse-brainwashed characters/plots I could do without from S1 but I'd be shocked if they didn't take a few episodes to catch up with some of the other characters.

Which is kinda a weird place because from the last episode, welp they're all there, more or less but the focus has kinda been all on them and not really too much on anyone else.

sleepykyo

Is there anyone out there that actually enjoys this season (and the first) like me knowing that things can get pretty hokey but still satisfying in the end? I'm thoroughly enjoying the season (minus the whole Giant and giant castle CGI).

I enjoy it, but I liked the whole Henry is right/delusional and Regina wants to destroy Emma but can't openly do it better, than Rumple and Regina aren't bad/well maybe they are stuff. Wonder Cora gets to reach Storybrook at full strength or she gets a nerf. The whole "magic is unpredictable" thing has been meaningless for a while.

Well, this episode was good for about the first half hour then it went down hill. Glad they explained how Hook took the heart and how he met Cora. It also explains when it first showed them on the beach together. Thought that was pretty cool. I am really hoping for more back story with Cora later on now that we have the Queen of the Hearts stuff out of the way.

After that it all became pretty cheesy. They get locked in the cell, the ink, the fighting it all just seemed cheesy. Kind of a let down end for the mid season finale as well. We all expected Cora and Hook to make it to StoryBrooke, they should have thrown a little extra in to lead to more speculation or something.

I think the driving force for the rest of the season is pretty obvious: Defeat Cora.

And this will involve staying in contact with Aurora and Mulan through the flaming room and getting them to find and destroy Cora's heart.

Same thing I thought, I can already see it leading to an argument when they don't want to kill Cora because they want to know where they can find Philip. The thing I don't know is how they will do it. I see the Hatter's hat coming into play more soon. I'd be fine with a whole season playing out like sliders with the cast going to different worlds. :lol Ok I may not be completely fine with that.

KevinCow

Banned
You know what bugs me a little bit? They never really followed through on the whole, "If Rumpelstiltskin knows your name, he'll have power over you!" thing from the pilot. He knows everyone's names and doesn't have power over any of them.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
You know what bugs me a little bit? They never really followed through on the whole, "If Rumpelstiltskin knows your name, he'll have power over you!" thing from the pilot. He knows everyone's names and doesn't have power over any of them.
Maybe they'll tie it this season to his weird jail cell note with Emmas name printed over and over.

I thought it was backwards and that no one could know Rumple's name? Or am I thinking of the wrong thing?

Eidan

I marathoned the first season with my girlfriend not too long ago, and we're now caught up on season 2. I've honestly haven't noticed a dip in quality. The show has always been fairly corny, poorly acted, saccharine, and stupid, but still entertaining. Same is true for the second season, which actually has me interested in what's going to happen next.

Also, nothing in this season has reached the low that was "Dreamy".

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I thought it was backwards and that no one could know Rumple's name? Or am I thinking of the wrong thing?
I might be wrong, but I think they brought both up in the first season. Rumple trying to learn the dark one's name so he could control him and Rumple making a deal with Snow for information about the curse in exchange for the name of her unborn child.

I might be wrong, but I think they brought both up in the first season. Rumple trying to learn the dark one's name so he could control him and Rumple making a deal with Snow for information about the curse in exchange for the name of her unborn child.

Oh, yeah I just tide that into the whole 'chosen one' thing. How he made her the chosen one and how all of this was planned by him. There could end up being more to it, but I just took it as that. With this episode going back to that.

Tuck

Currently just watching season 1. Almost done. Really like the show. The continuity is fantastic, the premise is fantastic and the story is clever.

I do however have one... concern. It has to deal with Regina/Evil Queen.
Right now, she's obviously evil. But the show has shown that she didn't use to be this way. She has a genuine back story and reason for being so mean. One that made me feel pretty bad for her. I hope they try and conclude that somehow. Maybe make her see the light, and give her a happy ending. As it stands, yeah, she is a bitch. But she is also really miserable. I can't help but feel bad for her. And Snow White *did* kind of ruin her life...

EDIT: Oh and the acting in some of the fairy-tale segments is somewhat iffy at times.

Medalion

Banned
Currently just watching season 1. Almost done. Really like the show. the continuity is fantastic, the premise is fantastic and the story is clever.

I do however have one... concern. It has to deal with Regina/Evil Queen.
Right now, she's obviously evil. But the show has shown that she didn't use to be this way. She has a genuine back story and reason for being so mean. One that made me feel pretty bad for her. I hope they try and conclude that somehow. Maybe make her see the light, and give her a happy ending. As it stands, yeah, she is a bitch. But she is also really miserable. I can't help but feel bad for her. And Snow White *did* kind of ruin her life...
I want to reply to your spoiler concerns...but if you are on your way to season 2, you will find out in time.

Kind of a meh episode to come back on. I liked the stuff between Regina and Emma, but the fairy tail stuff seemed mostly pointless besides having more info on how Rumple set the curse in motion. Also the whole Cora killing the cricket and the big reveal that he is alive in the same episode was kind of lame.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Didn't even know this came back. Still deciding whether or not I care (doesn't look like OUT-GAF even does). First half of the season was some of the wackest television I've ever watched. I'm finding it hard to even care about this show ironically anymore.

Didn't even know this came back. Still deciding whether or not I care (doesn't look like OUT-GAF even does). First half of the season was some of the wackest television I've ever watched. I'm finding it hard to even care about this show ironically anymore.

I would mostly agree. This season just went way down hill. If literally the only thing we get from a flashback is a little more detail on how Rumple set the curse in motion than it's kind of safe to say they've lost steam.

SuperPac

Awful episode. I think I can now close the book on this show. Why bother trying to make Regina a tragic figure to just revert right on back immediately? Not that this show is grounded in any reality, but how many sharp right turns can they possibly make with one character in such quick succession?

Medalion

Banned
A shame so many were letdown by this ep...granted it wasn't amazing, but it was decent.

But I get the Buffy season 2 vibes from this... big bads plotting in the background...

Hope they know what they doing.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
You're such an apologist. There's nothing background about anything in this show. Cora might as well have a fucking Snidely Whiplash mustache and top hat. Actually if Snidely Whiplash were in this show it would be worth watching again.

ZoddGutts

This show was never good to begin with, just middling. Interesting concept that was stolen from Fables. Funny how Grimm turned out to be the (slightly) better show when everybody thought it would the worse of the two because of NBC's budget.

This show was never good to begin with, just middling. Interesting concept that was stolen from Fables. Funny how Grimm turned out to be the (slightly) better show when everybody thought it would the worse of the two because of NBC's budget.
Nothing was stolen from Fables. Don't give Bill Willingham that much credit.

Literally the first thing this show established was that Emma can tell when someone is lying or telling the truth. So why the hell does she she constantly accuse people and not believe them especially in this episode? Couldn't she tell that Regina was telling the truth? That Gold was telling the truth? That whole "power" is completely irrelevant now.

Medalion

Banned
I honestly laugh at the idea that season 1 is seen as this show's peak for stories, acting etc

Season 2 is trying to be something that season 1 didn't... trying to have more of a continuing storyline throughout, and less episodic I guess. Expanding the universe, and maybe the show is kinda in over its head by doing that, but I admire the risk taking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom