• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ONE PIECE (Vol. 03) Don't Get Fooled Again

So this volume properly starts the fight between Luffy and Buggy. Zoro has beaten Cabaji in a pretty awesome fight and has collapsed to regain his strength right after, and Nami is in the background gawking in amazement at the fights going on. Oh, and the mayor is still knocked out, while Buggy's crew pretend to be so they don't have to do anything. The fight between Buggy and Luffy takes about half of the volume, mainly due to them constantly using their Devil Fruit powers. Buggy uses his more than Luffy and does, and I'm glad, because I really liked the abilities he showed off. He feels like a character that should be in a fighting game. My favourite part of the fight would probably be nearing the end when Nami actually decides to lend a hand and we get to see Buggy completely separate his body only for that to backfire on him. Also, maybe it's the way it was drawn, but I have no real idea how the Gum Gum Bazooka is supposed to work. Otherwise, the fight was pretty fun. After Buggy's defeat the crew head out and land on an island in a filler chapter. As per the usual filler, nothing really happens, and nothing's lost nor gained.

The second half of the volume has the crew entering another town, but not before introducing a character named Usopp. Back in the day I said that Usopp as my favorite character... and this chapter reminded me exactly why. Usopp is fucking awesome. From his hilarious lies and tall tales, the instant chemistry he has with he other characters to his pride in being the son of a pirate, Usopp is just such likeable asshole. As far as the story goes, it looks like its going to end up as a "Boy Who Cried Wolf" scenario, and the villain actually looks pretty interesting, as well the character Django that's working for him, so it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

the best way to read One Piece is via volumes... seeing as the pacing is a little off for the series to fully enjoy it week by week

Plus you get beautiful volume covers

Yea, that's what I'm doin'. On the note of this, I'm buying these digitally off of Google Play and I've noticed for (but forgot to mention) that Zoro's name is translated as Zolo. Is that going to be altered in future volumes?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Yea, that's what I'm doin'. On the note of this, I'm buying these digitally off of Google Play and I've noticed for (but forgot to mention) that Zoro's name is translated as Zolo. Is that going to be altered in future volumes?

It's going to be "Zolo" from now on because Viz is stupid and won't change it back.
It started as Zoro, but then the 4Kids dub happened, changed it, and forced Viz to change it too.
In 2014, Viz is the only one to still use "Zolo", every other media (anime sub, dub, and video games) calls him Zoro

I recommend using the Wiki as early volumes tend to be... off.
By the way, he's Jango, not Django. No idea why they changed that...
We later see in plain English his name is Jango.

It's going to be "Zolo" from now on because Viz is stupid and won't change it back.
It started as Zoro, but then the 4Kids dub happened, changed it, and forced Viz to change it too.
In 2014, Viz is the only one to still use "Zolo", every other media (anime sub, dub, and video games) calls him Zoro

I recommend using the Wiki as early volumes tend to be... off.
By the way, he's Jango, not Django. No idea why they changed that...
We later see in plain English his name is Jango.

Well that's really weird on both accounts.

I don't know. Dressrosa I feel could end at anytime with all the twists we've had so far. Yeah, bird cage is up at the moment but I bet someone like Blackbeard could have it disappear. Or any wide amount of characters. I just don't see this arc going out in typical fashion.

789shadow

Banned
I don't know. Dressrosa I feel could end at anytime with all the twists we've had so far. Yeah, bird cage is up at the moment but I bet someone like Blackbeard could have it disappear. Or any wide amount of characters. I just don't see this arc going out in typical fashion.
I still feel like Kaido will crash the ending party.

Dugna

Could at the end of the series have a special mega collectors edition that on every spine of every book they have artwork detailing the full journey of one piece from the beginnings to the end. Kinda like those special dragon ball collections.

img_0455.jpg

Stuff like that, would be kinda freaking awesome.

Kadux

Neo Member
I love one piece and have been reading it since the early 00's but recently, I don't know why, I find myself struggling to make sense of the panels in each page. I find the art so confusing sometimes, can't really tell what's going on anymore...maybe I just reached my limit and don't have much patience for it but I feel that Oda's art has been more and more confusing. I can't seem to enjoy reading the manga anymore.

yogloo

I love one piece and have been reading it since the early 00's but recently, I don't know why, I find myself struggling to make sense of the panels in each page. I find the art so confusing sometimes, can't really tell what's going on anymore...maybe I just reached my limit and don't have much patience for it but I feel that Oda's art has been more and more confusing. I can't seem to enjoy reading the manga anymore.

I am actually experiencing that too.

Quite often it does feel like he is cramming in enough action to give the anime team enough to make a full episode from. I started finding reading a bit more confusing at the war of the greatest.

Kadux

Neo Member
So it isn't just me. I would really like to know how the story unfolds but reading it has been terrible for the last year. I know he's an accomplished artist but his art has taken a dive in my opinion and if not the art alone, his ability to convey what is going on through his art. Maybe I should take a break from one piece and get back into it after a few months.

BatDan

*never understood the clutter complaints*

Anywho, small spoiler for next chapter
Rebecca vs. Diamante in Sunflower Fields

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
These Dressrosa fights have become so vignette-y that I think I might just wait for the arc to finish, and then re-read the assault on the palace section as a whole. Right now, reading one chapter a week is too much of a tease with the focus shifting to a different character every chapter or so.

BobLoblaw

Banned
This arc needs to wrap up.
This. I'm not one to complain normally, but the new world has been dragging. It's been 150+ chapters since part two of OP started and they're technically still on the second island. This arc will run for probably another 15-20 chapters, which will make it the longest (and it feels like it). There's been so much crap added to this arc it's like even Oda's adding filler.

Dugna

How does any of this feel like filler? Dunno all of this random stuff seems to fit in One Piece also I really hope the Yonko are actually a hard thing to take down and not some quick arc finishing them off...like Luffy beats Flamingo or somebody around his power level and then ends up just stomping over one of the Yonko...I don't want that.

Slayven

This. I'm not one to complain normally, but the new world has been dragging. It's been 150+ chapters since part two of OP started and they're technically still on the second island. This arc will run for probably another 15-20 chapters, which will make it the longest (and it feels like it). There's been so much crap added to this arc it's like even Oda's adding filler.

I lost track of why they even fighting. And this cast of thousands that pop in and out.

No villain has lived up to Crocodile for me.

Croc was good.

For me, the series has topped at Rob Lucci and Enies Lobby. I'm not saying that it won't get that good again (or even better!), but that was the best fight, that arc was the best arc, nothing else has even come close yet to me personally.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I'm not mad at this arc Donflamingo was built up as this powerful/smart bad ass who had a team of other bad asses working for him for a very long time. I would be more disappointed if beating him wasn't complicated.

This arc needs to wrap up.

thats an understatement i might take a break from one piece and then marathon all the chapters in this arc. Theres way too many charicters and too many things happining in this arc i dont even know what they are doing anymore.

demidar

I think the problem is there aren't enough dudes dying/losing yet. For example, Senor Pink has been duking it out with Franky for like 10 chapters or so. One of them needs to die/lose otherwise the story feels stagnant. Like, there's not much happening besides characters relocating. Peeka needs to lose in half a chapter so the plot can start moving again. Dedicate one chapter to Sabo vs. Fujitora and resolve it then and there.

robox

a few weeks ago, i got the idea of taking an arc from one piece and giving it the pluto treatment, where a more deliberate writer, like urasawa, takes 1 plotline, focus it, flesh it out and generally plan it thoroughly from start to finish so it has a more consistent feel. i think oda is somewhat constrained by the format that he's in, that is a weekly serial packed with action aimed at kids, competing against all the other comics for popularity in that weekly cycle. he can't afford to let up. and as a writer of 15 years, oda's evolved into someone that can juggle an epic story, in his head probably, but not as successfully on the pages. and while he has all these ideas, it still often feels like he has to fill in the details and connections as he goes along.

and 1 technique that urasawa uses, in pluto, monster and 20th cb, is that he switches scenes for 1 whole chapter, following an arc from beginning to end. which one piece could surely use. and has really gotten worse as the crew grows larger, as well as the addition of side characters in the plot.

BatDan

Uhhh... what? Do you seriously think Oda is still trying to compete with the other writers and artists?
New volumes sell 2 million copies every time. He could have a Togashi schedule if he wants. He just chooses not to since he loves his job.

robox

1. passion and competitiveness are highly correlated, i believe. oda is a big fan of manga, with one of his inspirations in dragonball. i do believe he has at some point compared and measured one piece to that reference. as well, i do believe he reads other manga and finds aspects of them that he will use, reference, and incorporate, if not competing overall directly.

2. jump has and continues to use weekly polls to rate chapters, and these results will go back to the authors. do you believe that oda wins every week and by a wide margin? giving amount of bitching up above, it's still not perfect.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The Alabasta saga is by far the best saga as a whole (I consider the Drum Island Arc to be kind of an intermission arc since it doesn't really tie in to the rest of the saga).

That said, I don't think there will be an "oh shit. :O" moment that tops eneru restarting his own fucking heart.

jercruz

Latest chapter says...

Sugar is now awake and have started turning people back into toys. Luffy's group is going to collide with her.

Sugar is pissed and wants to turn all SH to toys. She's also traumatized by Ussopp.

Yeah so we should have the arc of one of the most interesting and hyped shichibukais be ended soon just because people want to rush the story and rush the new world. ok.

We've got so many new characters here that have kind of fleshed out this 2nd part and it's vibe, i sincerely don't get people who already got bored here. Whatever.

i guess if Sugar does turn the SH into toys, there'll be a meltdown lol

Loved this chapter, and i'm sincerely hoping Rebecca holds her own against Diamante, alone, she has to.

Nice seeing Robin using her angel wings again too.

Kreed

One Piece 756:

Kanjuro is already providing a lot of laughs and it's nice to see Robin getting into a fight again, although I'm going to assume she will mostly be dealing with the toys while Bartolomeo will be taking on Gladius.

Sugar's devil fruit power continues to be one of the most dangerous in the series.

BatDan

Oh shit, Sugar is back in action. Luffy better be careful.

Robin and Bartolomeo team-up!
Rebecca vs Diamante will be interesting.

I'm liking Kanjuro.

*sees cries of "boring"* What? I will never understand MangaGAF...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh shit, Sugar is back in action. Luffy better be careful.

Robin and Bartolomeo team-up!
Rebecca vs Diamante will be interesting.

I'm liking Kanjuro.

*sees cries of "boring"* What? I will never understand MangaGAF...

If there's no guys in one on one fights then its automatically boring to some, same reason people like Bleach.

Zingerale

Banned
They keep setting up fight after fight. This arc is extremely painful to read week by week... I wish I had the willpower to read an arc only after it's finished.

BatDan

I'm starting to think Luffy vs Doflamingo will never happen.

Patience.
This pacing is normal for One Piece. Most people just don't know it because they marathoned the series through Alabasta, Skypiea and W7/EL.

I imagine forum posts back then going "Luffy's never going to fight Crocodile" or "Luffy's never going to fight Eneru" or "When is Luffy vs Lucci going to end" Oh wait, that last one actually happened.

If there's no guys in one on one fights then its automatically boring to some, same reason people like Bleach.

Disgusting. I hate how people demand instant gratification now. What happened to build-up?

One Piece 756:

Kanjuro is already providing a lot of laughs and it's nice to see Robin getting into a fight again, although I'm going to assume she will mostly be dealing with the toys while Bartolomeo will be taking on Gladius.

Sugar's devil fruit power continues to be one of the most dangerous in the series.

i really hope she gets to contribute a lot into this fight, it's been a while since Robin got a good encounter, and this seems appropiate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom