One Piece Thread (redux)

#52
TheOneGuy said:
Thriller Bark is one of the arcs I really wanted to see in motion.

O: O: O:

Now I have to catch up.

I just have to say Brooks singing is amazing.
I can't wait for the closing flashback chapter to be animated its going to be so awesome with all the singing


ps In the last episode Moria was defeated and the shadows returned to their owners. But Kuma shows himself and gets the order to exterminate everyone on the island. queue three week cliffhanger of doom.
 

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
#53
neoanarch said:
I just have to say Brooks singing is amazing.
I can't wait for the closing flashback chapter to be animated its going to be so awesome with all the singing
Now that I'll have to make sure to watch.
 
#58
What episode did Thriller Bark start with? I stopped watching a few months ago because my One Piece is best enjoyed in binge sessions, and the waiting week by week thing just wasn't flying.

And yes, I don't watch a lot of anime anymore these days, but One Piece is one of my favorite shows, anime or otherwise. The characters are so damn unique and enjoyable, the show almost always delivers. Which is impressive seeing how it's approaching 400 episodes and shows no sign of slowing.
 

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
#60
I haven't watched OP in MOOONTHS because Vegapunk is where I was getting my fix, and they basically shut down their encoded fansubs :(

2 Questions:

1) Who are people using post- vegapunk? (ie post ~330s)? Instanz? Nakama Fansubs? How terrible are they?

2) Can someone tell me what's going on in the manga, post Thriller-Bark? Please don't SPOIL it per se - I just wanna know what the arc is *about*
 

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
#61
GDJustin said:
I haven't watched OP in MOOONTHS because Vegapunk is where I was getting my fix, and they basically shut down their encoded fansubs :(

2 Questions:

1) Who are people using post- vegapunk? (ie post ~330s)? Instanz? Nakama Fansubs? How terrible are they?
They're all decent enough I find. For all the time Vegapunk takes I really don't see an increase in quality compared to the far quicker ones.

2) Can someone tell me what's going on in the manga, post Thriller-Bark? Please don't SPOIL it per se - I just wanna know what the arc is *about*
It's the best one piece arc yet. That's all you need to know. Anything more and I'd probably spoil it for you.
 
#62
I was so down 'cos just yesterday I finished epic story of Slam Dunk (again) and I realized that I don't have anything to watch :(. But thanks to OP I remembered One Piece. I haven't seen singel episode of this show yet but I have heard lot of good things about it. I will be joining the One Piece party today <3

Is this show still going on ?
 

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
#63
GDJustin said:
I haven't watched OP in MOOONTHS because Vegapunk is where I was getting my fix, and they basically shut down their encoded fansubs :(

2 Questions:

1) Who are people using post- vegapunk? (ie post ~330s)? Instanz? Nakama Fansubs? How terrible are they?

2) Can someone tell me what's going on in the manga, post Thriller-Bark? Please don't SPOIL it per se - I just wanna know what the arc is *about*
Seriously, there is no way to tell you what its about, cos before you experience it, you simply cannot comprehend the magnitude and the OHMYGODFUCKINGAWESOME-ness of it all. Its like all of One Piece that went before was a room and we've just stepped out into the open world of dangers and possibilities.

I don't know how Oda does it, but he continuously wows and surprises the audience. The story is now on an arc where I have no idea wtf is going to happen, and I only barely understand what just passed :lol its an incredible ride, its fun, exciting and I can't think of any other anime which even comes close to this level.

Its not like those idiotic animes where the young hero gets destroyed by stronger guys only to suddenly get a surge of nothing but willpower to come back and win. One Piece pretty much never does that, and thats why we're left seriously wondering what they're gonna do from here on out.
 

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
#65
MidiSurf said:
Is this show still going on ?
oh boy is it. 11 years, over 500 chapters, near 500 episodes and yet its only half way over.

Firestorm said:
I found Thriller Bark not as good as Water 7 and Arabasta.

Water 7 > Arabasta >> Thriller Bark >> Skypia.
That's the common consent. Though I still argue that Thriller Bark has one of the best endings in the series to counter the slow beginning.
 
#66
kaizoku said:
I don't know how Oda does it, but he continuously wows and surprises the audience. The story is now on an arc where I have no idea wtf is going to happen, and I only barely understand what just passed :lol its an incredible ride, its fun, exciting and I can't think of any other anime which even comes close to this level.
Seriously. Every new story arc in the manga, I'm like, "WELL FUCK, this is my new most-want-to-see-in-animated-format story arc!"

So good. D:
 

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
#68
....was probably one of the best animated episodes yet, if not the best. The style was so close to the manga too. It was almost like they just colorized the manga pages and magically animated it. Also I'm so glad that they didn't mess up the ending. I was convinced they would mess it up by censoring it or downplaying the scene but instead they exceeded my wildest expectations. Bravo Toei, bravo.
 
#69
grandjedi6 said:
....was probably one of the best animated episodes yet, if not the best. The style was so close to the manga too. It was almost like they just colorized the manga pages and magically animated it. Also I'm so glad that they didn't mess up the ending. I was convinced they would mess it up by censoring it or downplaying the scene but instead they exceeded my wildest expectations. Bravo Toei, bravo.
It's really intense. You can only imagine, how
much pain Zoro has taken. Compared to this, the purgatory is just a piece of cake.
 
#70
Man I've been re-watching/reading One Piece and its sooooo awesome.

Quick things:

Water 7 (probably the most epic arc ever of anything)>Thriller Bark (totally agree with grandjedi6 in that the fuckawesome ending balances out with the slow beginning, also I hate haunted house stuff, so the introduction to TB sucked for me)=Skypiea (I think its slighter better than TB)>Arabasta.

But apparently they wont be as awesome as the current arc!

MidiSurf said:
I was so down 'cos just yesterday I finished epic story of Slam Dunk (again) and I realized that I don't have anything to watch :(. But thanks to OP I remembered One Piece. I haven't seen singel episode of this show yet but I have heard lot of good things about it. I will be joining the One Piece party today <3

Is this show still going on ?
Stick with it. For me I was meh until about ARLONG FUCKING PARK. Thats the moment I started loving it. I've been trying to get my little brother to love it like me, hopefully he'll come around.

It is going on? Hell its already the longest anime ever, it'll end up as being one of longest tv programs ever (scripted at least).

A question to others, how does OP do in the ratings? I know it the biggest manga, but does the show do? DVD's also?

Edit: Oh yeah, even though it was filler, G8 rocked. Especially right after the epicness of Skypiea.
 

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
#71
gdt5016 said:
It is going on? Hell its already the longest anime ever, it'll end up as being one of longest tv programs ever (scripted at least).
That's actually not true. There are alot of random animes like Doraemon that have been running non-stop since the 70s.

A question to others, how does OP do in the ratings? I know it the biggest manga, but does the show do? DVD's also?
Very well, have a look yourself: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-11-30/japanese-anime-tv-ranking-november-17-23
 
#72
I just watched episode 377 and holy shit it looked awesome, definitely the best animated One Piece episode ever, almost 400 episodes and it keeps delivering. Reading impressions for the next arc makes me pretty exciting of whats coming up (sans the obligatory filler after Thriller Bark of course)
 
#73
Per grandjedi6's request:

Just give me OP filler solely on the ship with the Straw Hats joking and messing around. I could probably watch that all day.
 

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
#74
Oh this thread!

So, I am not a huge One Piece fanboy. I read the manga every once in a while though. Some months ago I started watching the anime, and today I am at Episode 110 of the series. I am kinda liking it more in anime form than manga form :lol

Sadly my complaints still are here...... most enemies are not that menacing (Crocodile is very good though, and Arlong as well). I am happy at how they handled Ace in the anime, but the fillers were getting into my nerves. I didn't notice at first until that Scorpion dude appeared when I noticed I was in fillers :lol I am skipping them though, after Loguetown there as a small filler arc... skipped. I also hate how Oda wastes soo much time in other things (the giants and all that stuff, though the Chopper arc is better animated than in the manga. Ooooh how I hated that manga part), when he could do the same stuff on other way. I just don't like how it seems he fillerizes his own story >_>.

Oh well... I am bored. Gonna keep watching the anime now.
 

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
#75
are there any good fansubs beyond 355?

i started with the kaizoku group, but they were too slow. so then i moved onto some randoms that i can't remember, and they weren't very good and were also too slow. and now i'm up to vegapunk fansubs, but now they're also too slow.

surely there's some good quality fansubs out there beyond 355... there are raws already available up to 375!
 
#78
Scrow said:
are there any good fansubs beyond 355?

i started with the kaizoku group, but they were too slow. so then i moved onto some randoms that i can't remember, and they weren't very good and were also too slow. and now i'm up to vegapunk fansubs, but now they're also too slow.

surely there's some good quality fansubs out there beyond 355... there are raws already available up to 375!
Both Instantz and Nakama are definitely watchable. I rarely cringed and didn't see a huge step down from Vegapunk's quality.

I started watching OP in August of last year and now, 400 episodes later am finally up-to-date anime wise :D

Unlike many people in this thread I wasn't a fan of Arabasta at all (very slow beginning even though the end was good). To me it's Water 7 (despite the fact that 10 episode's worth of Enies Lobby action were extended into 30) > Thriller Bark (very close to W7) > Arlong Park > Skypiea > Arabasta. It's good to hear that the next arc is even better. I also can't wait for the eventual and obligatory Impel Down arc. Never has a 400 episode show managed to stay so fresh and varied throughout /bow.
 
#79
Kildace said:
Never has a 400 episode show managed to stay so fresh and varied throughout /bow.
It's the goddamn characters. I fucking love 'em. All of 'em.

Only one that took a while to grow on me was Robin, but even still.

Awesome.
 
#81
TheOneGuy said:
Only one that took a while to grow on me was Robin, but even still.
This isn't surprising, she's the deepest and most mysterious character of all, so of course she was quite suspicious in the beginning. I love her lady-charm.:D
 

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
#82
so...


for the love of god, would someone please tell me where i can find a good translation beyond episode 355? vegapunk is holding out on me. :(
 
#84
Neo C. said:
This isn't surprising, she's the deepest and most mysterious character of all, so of course she was quite suspicious in the beginning. I love her lady-charm.:D
Robin's my favourite Straw Hat. She is indeed the deepest Straw Hat. I love the transition from her Ms.All-Sunday persona to what she is now. The only thing that really disappoints me about Robin is that she went from one of the most intimidating characters to 'the lower tier' of the Straw Hats when it comes to fighting. I'm not up to date with the manga, and her calmer personality is a necessity in a pirate crew full of crazy people, but I wish she'd show a bit more of her ruthless side outside of being occasionally morbid. Come on, Oda -- Is it because she's a woman?
 
#85
Scribble said:
Robin's my favourite Straw Hat. She is indeed the deepest Straw Hat. I love the transition from her Ms.All-Sunday persona to what she is now. The only thing that really disappoints me about Robin is that she went from one of the most intimidating characters to 'the lower tier' of the Straw Hats when it comes to fighting. I'm not up to date with the manga, and her calmer personality is a necessity in a pirate crew full of crazy people, but I wish she'd show a bit more of her ruthless side outside of being occasionally morbid. Come on, Oda -- Is it because she's a woman?
Probably more like her power is broken. :)

I don't think she's much of a fighter, either. It was a survival tactic for most of her life, but now that she's found a place to belong, it isn't particularly necessary for her to utilize her powers to the extent she did before.
 
#86
Belfast said:
Probably more like her power is broken. :)

I don't think she's much of a fighter, either. It was a survival tactic for most of her life, but now that she's found a place to belong, it isn't particularly necessary for her to utilize her powers to the extent she did before.
That makes sense. But it's funny you say that -- considering a manga spoiler I read,
Separated Straw-Hats!
, she may have to rely on those tactics again.
 

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
#89
Dartastic said:
I don't know where to find OP Anime anymore, and I also don't know if the filler after Thriller Bark is over. Please, someone, educate me.
Subbers? Youtube? Just check any one piece site for info?

Yes the filler is over (it only last 3 episodes).
 

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
#92
Neo C. said:
So awesome. I've finally watched the episode.:D
Yep :D It was a well done episode too. No drawn out scenes, cool effects, nice moving backgrounds and spread shots, colorful animation... nice.

Plus the 11 Supernovas are here!



Each episode from here on out should be pretty awesome.
 
#96
Firestorm said:
I thought this was gonna be a short arc leading into the next arc. This episode makes me think I'm wrong!
Oh boy you couldn't be more wrong.

It's more of a two/three part arc so far.
 

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
#97
The new opening is amazing. Lots of good creative animation, even more forshadowing scenes than the 5th and 6th openings and even the song worked well. Nice.

I'll post a link whenever it gets youtube'd :D
 
#98
grandjedi6 said:
The new opening is amazing. Lots of good creative animation, even more forshadowing scenes than the 5th and 6th openings and even the song worked well. Nice.

I'll post a link whenever it gets youtube'd :D
Awesome, I have to watch that. So, I haven't watched OP since the end of thriller bark, how many episode have been broadcasted since the start of new non-filler arc?
 
#99
grandjedi6 said:
The new opening is amazing. Lots of good creative animation, even more forshadowing scenes than the 5th and 6th openings and even the song worked well. Nice.

I'll post a link whenever it gets youtube'd :D
Awesome. I'm not a huge fan of We Are or the new version of it. Loved the one right after Skypia though.

And no, I don't read the manga! I only read the manga for shows that are complete shit. So currently only read Naruto and I might start up Bleach sometime considering I haven't seen the show in over a year and would like to finish what I started.

One Piece I still find great so I don't want to subject myself to the torture of waiting an entire week for 1minute of reading :( I'll savour it for 20mins a week! The pacing isn't as godawful as Naruto and I can make more sense of fights in anime than in manga.