• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Firestorm

it still makes no sense to compare a black and white still, to a scene from an animation
like, what are you even comparing? the shot composition? nonsensical
And the episode was better animated than the rest of the arc

Wait how is critiquing the composition nonsensical

BobLoblaw

Banned
comparing a scene to a panel doesnt make sense
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. They're both still images. One's from a cartoon and the other's a drawing from a comic. This isn't like comparing an imaginary scene in a book with someone else's interpretation in a movie. There's no valid reason why they should look so drastically different. Toei's managed to do justice to these types of panels before (as my examples showed). And with that being the case, it's completely justifiable to criticize them when they screw up a panel that badly. Now I'm just wondering why the hell you keep defending Toei and that abominable depiction of Oda's work.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wow calm down duder, its a weekly cartoon. Lets see you keep that kind of pace up with shot for shot quality.

Anyway, as others have said, next week looks to be the tight knit "bad ass" shot, while this episode concerned itself more with space and showing where all the characters were on the stage and how/where they assemble. Not everything works just jammed together as manga panels in an organically moving show, and certain animation directors have certain styles and ways of doing things. Oda's own artwork sometimes fluctuates massively with scales, while certain animators stick to that stuff as a religion.

Its a shame theyre on one episode per one chapter, but their hands were kinda tied from the beginning of Shabondy to after Fish-Man Island for any potential filler insertion, so I understand.

SykoTech

Some of the posts above kinda make me glad that I don't read the manga. I enjoyed both those moments just fine, and would hate to get to the point where all I did was complain everytime the anime isn't 1:1 with the manga.

Some of the posts above kinda make me glad that I don't read the manga. I enjoyed both those moments just fine, and would hate to get to the point where all I did was complain everytime the anime isn't 1:1 with the manga.

I think they are extremely minor issues to be honest, and its odd to compare a panel to a scene.

Luffy going to knock you out like a Boss. Music at the end was the best. Was there some synthesizer? Sort of sounded like some of the songs in the first Mass Effect but with horns.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
This is better than this? Seriously?

I know it's way too late here, but since you were replying to me originally, let me be clear. You said you "didn't care much for the way they showed the Straw Hats." The showing of the straw hats in the anime was not a single shot. It was an entire scene. The no-face intros for each character, their one-liners, the musical choices, finally culminating in that shot. I think that the scene in question, as composed in the anime, is superior as a whole to the single manga panel you are referencing. And since all you said was "how they showed the Straw Hats," I think it is fair. You did not imply that you were talking only about a shot-for-shot comparison of that one manga panel. Obviously the manga image is better than the anime screenshot there. Luckily the anime did not show the Straw Hats with only that still shot. That's all.

SykoTech

Basically an explanation episode with a badass ending. I suppose that those things did need explaining though.

Nice to see that Zoro and Sanji are familiar with Haki now. Wouldn't be surprised if they learned how to use some Haki techniques themselves, given who theytrained with. Not to mention Sanji was able to deduce that there were 100,000 in a couple of seconds (Observaton Haki)?

Raide

Did anyone think the voices were slightly off? Nami sounded weird, as did Franky.

Also Luffy's entrance was awesome and long-awaited. :D

Gradivus

I've waited a while for them to get up to this point :). I'll have to get back into watching the anime for the fights in this arc.

tumblr_m6fv6lx8Bj1ru046vo3_250.gif

That was pretty epic. Luffy always makes some of the best and memorable entrances and then that attack wow. Even more when Zoro and Sanji stepped off Thousand Sunny, need to see 554 right now!

789shadow

Banned
I can't say it was a good idea for the Straw Hats to arrive on the scene, then have a whole episode flashback explaining their plan and Zoro's escape. At the very least Zoro's escape was as fucking awesome as I imagined it would be.

upandaway

I can't say it was a good idea for the Straw Hats to arrive on the scene, then have a whole episode flashback explaining their plan and Zoro's escape. At the very least Zoro's escape was as fucking awesome as I imagined it would be.
It was pretty funny for them to pop up and then just screw around without giving a shit about anyone.

Randy

If one would answer the above question, please spoiler-tag. I don't want to know anything that happens after 554. Thanks!

KtSlime

This is pretty much how they do all the big battles. It took months for Luffy to actually get to battle Lucci at Enies Lobby.

Isnt there a special nami filler episode or two coming up anyway?

I hope so.

IHaveIce

Banned
SO here is just talking about the anime or also the manga?

But the last episodes were pretty good, the scene when Luffy beat Hody.

But it takes soooo long to finish this arc.

Maron

SO here is just talking about the anime or also the manga?

But the last episodes were pretty good, the scene when Luffy beat Hody.

But it takes soooo long to finish this arc.

If it didn't take so long they'd be in deep shit since the manga is only one arc ahead.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Too many damn flashbacks. They are really struggling to keep up the strict one episode per chapter pace.

It wasn't even an entire chapter. It was like 9 pages of a chapter. Some parts weren't even in the manga (Kung-Fu Point Chopper and Robin's multi-clutch)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Isnt there a special nami filler episode or two coming up anyway?

Yep. August 25th. 2 Hours long. Basically what Toei did with Movie's 8 & 9 but for the Arlong Arc. Should be great having it all in a movie format and HD.

Of course I'm not sure Funimation will stream it. Might not be formally part of the TV series even if it airs at the same time.

Mr. Fix

Yep. August 25th. 2 Hours long. Basically what Toei did with Movie's 8 & 9 but for the Arlong Arc. Should be great having it all in a movie format and HD.

Of course I'm not sure Funimation will stream it. Might not be formally part of the TV series even if it airs at the same time.

! This is airing on network right? Or theatres? Nami's backstory was easily one of the best.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Wait, what?

*googles*

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT. This is my first time hearing about this. I can't take this much hype. Please don't fuck this up, Toei. The Arlong Park arc is extremely special to me.

upandaway

Will it have Franky/Robin/etc?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
! This is airing on network right? Or theatres? Nami's backstory was easily one of the best.
Its airing on network. But on Saturday night rather than Sunday morning. Hence why I doubt Funimation will put it up at all.
Will it have Franky/Robin/etc?
Nope. Just original crew with their original character designs. As far as we currenlty know, its just Arlong Park arc in movie format and reanimated in HD.

Top Bottom