• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnLive thread of why you should be playing with us in the cloud

bangai-o

Banned
i was watching some of the Warhammer games in the arena. It is one game i want to try but i cant read any of the text onscreen.
I can blame it on my small 10 inch screen and the streaming sure, but i also have to ask why the developers thought that putting such small text would be a good idea.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Bboy AJ said:
OnLive and Frictional struck a deal. They say it's because of a certain OnLive forum. As a result, they're giving Amnesia away for free. Use promo code THANKYOU within the next 24 hours.

Bunch of new games added. Oddworld, Ghostbusters...
Glyph 2, too.

Hope to see more from Atari. E3 should be good, I hope. I'm first excited about Nintendo then OnLive :D

Ionic

I have to say, every time I log into OnLive (which is not often), I'm impressed by how much it has improved. The games lineup is pretty good now too. And their commitment to great deals is mindblowing given that the cheap games people buy run on their own servers.

vgamer1

Bboy AJ said:
OnLive and Frictional struck a deal. They say it's because of a certain OnLive forum. As a result, they're giving Amnesia away for free. Use promo code THANKYOU within the next 24 hours.

Bunch of new games added. Oddworld, Ghostbusters...

Thanks! Added this one to my collection.

Free game, pretty cool. No use for it since I own a Steam copy, but free is free.

Maybe someday I'll be stuck in a shack that has broadband internet access and a video card that can handle streaming HD Video but not modern video game graphics, and I'll be glad to have my collection of four free OnLive games to pass the days.

They need some exclusives or at least something that isn't on Steam. Maybe they should turn that Geni4 thing in the showcase section into a dating sim...

JesseZao

I was looking forward to Amnesia being added because my video card is too old to run it, so SURE I'll take it for free! Rock on.

This should probably be its own thread even. (Although I've refrained since I'm not sure many people would care as seen by this sprawling OT.)

Okay, guess I'm testing my hypothesis.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
JesseZao said:
(Although I've refrained since I'm not sure many people would care as seen by this sprawling OT.)
You should probably make it, considering the absurd accusations of me being an OnLive viral marketer.

Cool, wanted to play this game at some point too.

Maybe it's my eyes but quality in the UK looks improved, expecting it to turn into jpg squares in a minute :p

HadesGigas said:
They need some exclusives or at least something that isn't on Steam. Maybe they should turn that Geni4 thing in the showcase section into a dating sim...
In all seriousness, I'm expecting either an exclusive or at the very least a title that's heavily optimized for OnLive to be shown at E3. Their CEO Steve Perlman always hints at exclusives during interviews, and there's no better time to show it off than E3. In fact, any later than this E3 may be too late, as Cafe will be unveiled, Battlefield 3 shown in all of its glory, etc. I feel like the gap between whatever OnLive can pump out via their megafarms and what's possible via consoles may soon shrink rapidly. They need something big to demonstrate that they're more than just a cooler version of GameFly (i.e. simply an alternate distribution method for existing games) albeit with a far more limited library.

bangai-o said:
or you could stop buying from Steam and just buy thru Onlive

I personally have no reason to buy something on Onlive if it's on Steam. My PC is good enough to provide a better quality picture than I'd get on Onlive for most games, with better controls, and similar or better pricing.

I can see the appeal and usefulness of Onlive for people who don't have a decent video card or are on Macs, but for me it's got very little to offer. Only thing I really like is how easy it is to use on my TV, no messing around with display settings to get it to show up on the "second monitor", just drag it over there.

neclas

I can deal with the input lag (it was noticeable, but not terrible) for single player games, but the image quality is not very fun. It basically looks like an animated JPEG with compression artifacts.

I really like the 30 minute preview features, though. Such a simple idea, yet soo nice.

JesseZao

They're getting really aggressive with these free console offers pre-E3.

Now they have one for Deus Ex:HR (comes with OG free as well). Now every time someone mentions it you don't even have to reinstall it, you just fire up your internet :D.

I know it's blasphemy, but my PC won't run this, so I'll probably look at the 360 version first, but this is tempting for classic keyboard control

Bboy AJ

From OnLive's Twitter:

OnLive OnLive, Inc.
RED FACTION: ARMAGEDDON PC/MAC DEMO! Play the first 30 min of the game exclusively on the @OnLive Game Service. http://bit.ly/m9rWgi #RFA

OnLive OnLive, Inc.
Oh, did we mention that this demo is different than the XBL demo? It's the first 30 minutes of the full game! #RFA http://bit.ly/m9rWgi

Bert

Been using it on my MBA 11" (so basically a netbook), yet to buy anything mainly because I'm in the UK pretending to be an American (but yay! I can connect in the UK with a 10 meg connection!).

Really good, strategy games work especially well and I love the fact that I can play 30 mins of a game before I buy it.

The two things stopping me from giving them money are:

1) Not any must have games yet, I've completed Batman: AA, but if a similar game came out I'd be all over it.

2) Not being able to have a UK account.

On a related note, anyone know how to get a PS3 pad working on a MBA? I've googled till the cows come home, but can't find anything that works. Or is this another OnLive issue?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
So I went to the premier of the Red Factions Origins movie in San Fran last night, and OnLive was there giving out free consoles and a free $60 game of your choice. I didn't have any plans to try it previously, but with that kind of generosity - why the hell not? They have to ship the console out though; they weren't handing them out in person... Just saw the thread and thought I'd chime in since I'll see how it is soon.

I'm really curious to see what happens because my net connection is iffy at home. Comcrap seems to drop for a few seconds every 10-15 minutes for me. Maybe I'll just hook it up at work, the connection is beastly here.

- AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! – $2.50 (Normally $9.99)
- Alpha Protocol – $7.50 (Normally $29.99)
- The Ball – $5.00 (Normally $19.99)
- Batman: Arkham Asylum – $7.50 (Normally $29.99)
- Borderlands – $9.99 (Normally $19.99)
- Braid – $2.50 (Normally $9.99)
- Dark Void – $7.50 (Normally $29.99)
- Darksiders – $9.99 (Normally $19.99)
- Defense Grid Gold – $3.50 (Normally $13.99)
- F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin – $9.99 (Normally $19.99)
- Fishdom 2 – $5.00 (Normally $19.99)
- Gene Labs – $4.99 (Normally $9.99)
- Ghostbusters: The Video Game – $9.99 (Normally $19.99)
- Homefront – $33.49 (Normally $49.99)
- Just Cause 2 – $7.50 (Normally $29.99)
- Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days – $5.00 (Normally $19.99)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 – $19.99 (Normally $29.99)
- Madballs in Babo: Invasion – $2.50 (Normally $9.99)
- Mafia II – $14.99 (Normally $29.99)
- Metro 2033 – $9.99 (Normally $19.99)
- Patrician IV: Conquest by Trade – $14.99 (Normally $29.99)
- Remington Super Slam Hunting: Africa – $5.00 (Normally $19.99)
- Royal Envoy – $9.99 (Normally $19.99)
- Shatter – $2.25 (Normally $9.99)
- Trine – $5.00 (Normally $19.99
- Unreal Tournament III: Titan Pack – $5.00 (Normally $19.99)
- Virtua Tennis 2099 – $5.00 (Normally $19.99)
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Chaos Rising – $9.99 (Normally $19.99)
- World of Goo – $2.50 (Normally $9.99)

Bboy AJ

Onlive showcased a new browser that will be available for tablets and their microconsole.

The browser uses their servers so everything should download in 10 GB/second on their end. In addition you'll be able to use flash on an iPad.

Also there's a deal going that if you spend $10 or more on a game on onlive you get a microconsole for free. So a lot of cool shit is happening with Onlive but it will all be ignored by the public.

http://onlivefans.com/news/an-onliv...t-connections-faster-coming-this-summer/1035/

bathala

Banned
Finally, onlive player

This is the only thing I'm waiting for. From Dust on iPad
Posted the onlive player news on iOS gaming

Any word on witcher 2 onlive?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Bboy AJ said:
Also there's a deal going that if you spend $10 or more on a game on onlive you get a microconsole for free. So a lot of cool shit is happening with Onlive but it will all be ignored by the public.
See, that just screams crazy desperation to me. I wonder what their R&D costs were for that little cheap box.
That said, my experiences with OnLive were not bad.

Defense Grid Gold – $3.50
Shatter - $2.25

Those should be picked up by anyone. Fantastic games that work great with OnLive.

bathala said:
Finally, onlive player
Any word on witcher 2 onlive?
Yes, Witcher 2 is coming soon for OnLive, among other games. It'll be interesting to see how generous they set the graphics for Witcher 2. There's no reason, compression aside, that it shouldn't look better than the coming 360 version.

A list of games shown off in their coming soon reel:

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (September)
DiRT 3 (ASAP)
Saints Row The Third
Tropico 4
Batman: Arkham City (October)
Might and Magic: Heroes VI (September)
Dead Island (September)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (August)
Lord of the Rings: War in the North (August)
F3AR (June)
Dungeon Siege 3 (June)
Call of Juarez The Cartel (July)
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (ASAP)
Duke Nukem Forever (June)

Hazaro said:
See, that just screams crazy desperation to me. I wonder what their R&D costs were for that little cheap box.
They've stated since 2009 that the microconsole is so cheap - apparently the case cost more than the chipset it contains - that they're able to give it away.

I don't think they care about pure hardware sales at all. They're just trying to get you using the service in some fashion, period. That's why they have the Vizio deal, newly-announced Intel deal, iOS & Android player apps coming, etc.

19Kilo

New deal going on right now: Spend $10 and get a 100% off code until Saturday.

100% off code can be used for any game, game controller, or the micro-console (includes a controller).

I snagged Split/Second (which right now gets you an additional code for 50% off), and will use the 100% off code on the micro-console :)

Gvaz

Banned
I tried the Armageddon demo thing and thought it was a neat idea but No way am I buying anything for Onlive until they:

Increase the graphic quality displayed
Increase the visual streaming quality displayed
Try to reduce the lag

For now it seems like those who want to play PC games but don't have the money to buy a decent computer.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ready Up Already said:
They've stated since 2009[/URL] that the microconsole is so cheap - apparently the case cost more than the chipset it contains - that they're able to give it away.

I don't think they care about pure hardware sales at all. They're just trying to get you using the service in some fashion, period. That's why they have the Vizio deal, newly-announced Intel deal, iOS & Android player apps coming, etc.
Yeah I know their hardware costs are cheap, but R&D for stuff like that isn't, unless the Quicktime guy also put a lot towards it, I don't know.

shoplifter

19Kilo said:
New deal going on right now: Spend $10 and get a 100% off code until Saturday.

100% off code can be used for any game, game controller, or the micro-console (includes a controller).

I snagged Split/Second (which right now gets you an additional code for 50% off), and will use the 100% off code on the micro-console :)
When am I supposed to get the 100% off coupon? I picked up Split Second and got the 50% coupon immediately, but no 100% yet.

bangai-o

Banned
shoplifter said:
When am I supposed to get the 100% off coupon? I picked up Split Second and got the 50% coupon immediately, but no 100% yet.
i was looking that deal as well. I think it said the 13th.

I wanted to get Oddworld or that Vin Diesl driving game but they are only available for the monthly plan. Ultimately I just want the 100% coupon for Homefront.

markatisu

shoplifter said:

100% off coupon will come between 6/11 and 6/13. The terms said after the sale ends and the sale ends tomorrow

shoplifter

markatisu said:
100% off coupon will come between 6/11 and 6/13. The terms said after the sale ends and the sale ends tomorrow

Cool - for some reason I was thinking 'no later than x' and I was assuming some people were getting their 100%s right away.

My OnLive name is either the same as it is here on GAF, or it's the same as my SteamID, I forget. I rarely use it though, especially now that I'm home for the summer and don't have as good of an internet connection as I did at college.

Bboy AJ

Did anyone grab Duke? How is it? Are the load times bad? Multiplayer?

have things gotten better with onlive? I remember i had the free trial and despite a very fast connection at home 20mb/s it was choppy and pixellated and the input lag was aggravating. Really disappointing overall.

Maybe things have improved.

Bboy AJ

Calavera520 said:
have things gotten better with onlive? I remember i had the free trial and despite a very fast connection at home 20mb/s it was choppy and pixellated and the input lag was aggravating. Really disappointing overall.

Check it out again yourself. Free 30 minute demos and a tiny download for the actual client itself.

markatisu

19kilo said:
I received my 100% off code today :)

Yeah I got mine at midnight on the 13th and immediately used it for the console which should be here this afternoon!

Calavera520 said:

I have a 4mb connection and it works fine, I have been playing WH Dawn of War II the past few nights and only had congestion/pixellation on one session.

Hey I figured since most people got their MicroConsole today, I would post my OnLive Name. It's monkyofdoom if you want to add me.

It is worth noting that the Duke Nukem Forever trial allows you to play the Multiplayer, it is pretty fun.

Finally got around to trying this out....and i'm pretty impressed i must say. Considering i live in the UK and data's bouncing around half-way across the world AVP (the new 'un) was very much playable. i was actually getting "into" the game and enjoying it.

I mean, it took less than 10 minutes of setting up an account, installing the thing and choosing a title. That's very slick.

darkressurection said:
Hey I figured since most people got their MicroConsole today, I would post my OnLive Name. It's monkyofdoom if you want to add me.

It is worth noting that the Duke Nukem Forever trial allows you to play the Multiplayer, it is pretty fun.
Cool, they finally worked out the kinks with Duke Nukem (framerate issues and freezing), and it's now playable on Mac clients. I will try it out soon. I'm just hoping enough people are in the multiplayer mode.

Bboy AJ

Today is OnLive's one year anniversary. Hopefully the future of gaming continues.

OnLive has a 30% off any game sale. Promo code is eatcake. Doesn't apply to games with promos.

edit: I just realized how much this sounds like a fucking ad.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...y-likes-onlive/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS

Far from spurning OnLive as a worrying threat to his Steam business, Valve boss Gabe Newell "really likes" the games-on-demand service. At least, that's according to OnLive.

The Cloud gaming company has told CVG that it has engaged in "conversations" with Valve boss Gabe Newell about working more closely together, and that it considers the exec and his business as "friends".

And that's not all - Valve has even given the California-based start-up advice on what to include in the future feature set of its service.

"Gabe and his team really like what we're doing," said OnLive VP of Engineering Joe Bentley. "I can't go into specifics of any conversations we've had but we have had conversations with everybody in the industry. They really dig OnLive. Gabe is a funny guy because he's really not competitive - very similar to Randy [Pitchford]. He sees us a complementary in a lot of different ways.

"If you get to know Valve as a company, Steam was something that they just had to do because nobody else was handling a decent digital distribution model. Gabe and his team's hearts are really in making games like Portal 2 and so forth. If you see where Portal 2 is, it's on every other platform.

"If Gabe was so intent on Steam's dominance he would make it exclusive on Steam, but that's not what he is. He's about making the best quality games out there.

"He's really fascinated with our features and given us a lot of suggestions, they've got similar features coming out and we've chatted about really innovative ideas. I regard him and the company as friends. Sure we're going to have other people doing similar things, but the industry is big enough. We're only a 200 person start-up, we don't need to own it all, there's something for everybody."

OnLive showed its service off on a range of mobile devices at E3 earlier this month, including iPad. Bentley showed CVG how the company's controller will soon sync wirelessly with most popular tablets on the market. (See below for a video of OnLive CEO Steve Perlman demonstrating the tech in Los Angeles.)

Bentley told us: "For me, Steam can't really take their game to that mobile level... Gabe [Newell] walks around with his iPad so he sees OnLive and maybe thinks about how he can get Portal out to the world to the mobile market without compromises."

UK gamers can already sign up to OnLive ahead of its launch .

BT has the exclusive rights to bundle OnLive together with its broadband service offerings in the UK, although customers will also have the option to order directly from OnLive to run over any UK ISP.

Also, F3AR has been added, and Bloodrayne 2 is now in the Playpack.

Bboy AJ

That would be fantastic news. That article deserves its own thread, IMO. It'll get the OnLive haters to hate.

sajj316

hey guys .. I just updated the onlive client and running into issues logging in. Anyone having similar issues? The Valve news got me back in to check out.

I just tried this, and it's a very impressive service. I just played the opening of AC: Brohood from my Macbook and it ran great. Now, if only they had a bit better of a library, and I didn't spend 2/3rds of the year at a campus with a terrible internet connection, I would really use it more.

Angry Fork

Is it possible to rent games through the service? And if you buy it do you own it forever or only until your subscription with OnLive runs out?

Top Bottom