• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnLive thread of why you should be playing with us in the cloud

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Newbies: OnLive usually has a game on sale for $5 every Friday. It was Darksiders yesterday. Mafia 2 one week, Batman AA another. Great deals. Keep an eye out. Also, if you're a Playpack subscriber, you get 30% off everything. So I picked up the $5 game for $3.50. Very cool.

19Kilo

Ubisoft weeklong sale - today is Silent Hunter 5 at 75% off = $7.50 ($5.25 for PlayPack subscribers). Yesterday was Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands.

sfried

Finally gotten the MicroConsole through mail. Now I just need a way to extend my ethernet jack all the way downstairs...

aubradley84

Neo Member
For the most part I've been really impressed with OnLive. Though the selection was pretty sparse at first they've really grown the catalog nicely, and the PlayPack has let me go back to games I had all but forgotten about and dig into them once more. The only problem I have is occasional network issues (even when plugged into Ethernet), but other than that it's just as good as playing on a console.

aubradley84

Neo Member
StopMakingSense said:
The Witcher Director's Cut just got added to Playpack bundle

Awesome! I wasn't interested in buying the game by itself due to how hard it is (and fear I would get super-frustrated), but now that it's part of the bundle I can try it out and then move onto something else without feeling buyer's remorse.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is that game any good? I hear good things about the second but how about the first? I don't want to invest time into a game if it sucks.

Reave

Tried OnLive for the first time tonight, and simply put, this is awesome stuff. I'm not big on buying terribly high-end PCs that cost a lot of money, but to be able to pop in a 360 controller and get 80 games for $10 a month is pretty sweet. Now, I can finally play The Witcher and a bunch of other games I never had the chance to try. I'm in.

Bboy AJ

Reznor said:
Tried OnLive for the first time tonight, and simply put, this is awesome stuff. I'm not big on buying terribly high-end PCs that cost a lot of money, but to be able to pop in a 360 controller and get 80 games for $10 a month is pretty sweet. Now, I can finally play The Witcher and a bunch of other games I never had the chance to try. I'm in.
Welcome, brother. You'll get 30% off everything being a PP subscriber so you may get in deeper than you think.

DrBo42

Just tried Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. Really impressed, controls spot on compared to my 360 although there's some visual quality lost. If there was some sort of paid service for the optimum connection/performance/visual quality I'd be completely down for it. If you're someone that doesn't own a certain console and wants to play exclusive games straight from your PC, or your PC isn't beefy enough to play a certain title, I can't recommend it enough. Again, very impressed.

In addition to the free OnLive game codes that will be showing up in retail boxes (probably not at Gamestop anymore, LOL!), we have this news.

http://blog.onlive.com/2011/08/24/n...roup-voice-chat-facebook-achievement-sharing/

Parental Controls
Being a dad and a gamer on OnLive is a blast. Jumping into LEGO® Pirates of the Caribbean™ in co-op mode with multiple controllers and taking Brag Clip videos of our best moves to share with Mom is great family fun. But if you’re like me, you know there are a bunch of games in the Arena that some kids may not be ready for. Today we’ve taken the first step to enabling parents to manage how their kids to use the OnLive Game Service by sharing their own accounts in a restricted mode. Once an account is set up with Parental Controls, anyone accessing the Game Service with that account will experience whatever restrictions are applied. For example, no M-rated titles, no chatting with strangers, no Brag Clips, no spectating—just clean fun! As a parent, enter your secret passcode to temporarily remove or adjust the restrictions and jump back into the action! Set up Parental Controls now or learn more.

Group Voice Chat Beta
OnLive gaming is a uniquely social experience—and it just got a lot easier to make the most out of those social experiences. OnLive has had two types of voice chat: Game Chat (for multiplayer sessions) and Spectator Chat (for chatting while watching someone play a game). Today we’ve added a third: Group Chat (for voice chatting with friends, no matter what they are doing). Here’s how it works: Let’s say you have 10 college buddies you like to play multiplayer games with. Now, you can create a group for them on the service that will persist from session to session. Instead of trying to track them down individually, now you can jump into a group voice chat no matter what they’re doing on the service. Voice chat while they’re playing a game, spectating others or just browsing the Marketplace … and if they’re not signed into OnLive, you can invite them to join you via integrated email notifications. Make one group for gamers you meet on the service who play a certain multiplayer game. Make another for friends you just want to hang with when you find a great game to spectate. It’s all about easily connecting—and yakking it up—with the gamers of your choice and making the most of your gameplay time. Of course, as always, OnLive voice chat works across all platforms and worldwide, so whether your friends are using a TV, PC, Mac or are across the pond when the UK service goes live in a month, OnLive voice chat just works. Learn more here.

Achievement Sharing to Facebook
First, we made sharing your gaming highs and lows a reality with automatic exporting of Brag Clip videos to Facebook. Now, your friends will recognize your crazy gamer skill with automatic Facebook sharing of Achievements. And if the game has Achievement Brag Clips configured, the epic video of your Achievement will also get shared! It feels so good collecting Facebook “likes” and comments as your friends anywhere and everywhere learn of your latest game progress—or even watch a Brag Clip video of you smashing that boss. Learn more here.

This newest wave of features is far from the last and comes in response to feature requests from the OnLive community. You just keep on playing and letting us know what you think, and we’ll keep pushing to make the OnLive platform better!

—Joe Bentley, Dad, Gamer, VP of Engineering
OnLive Player Tag: joe

JesseZao

Reznor said:
And a mere $3.50 if you're a PlayPack subscriber. Again, OnLive with the killer deals. So good.
Tempted to double dip on borderlands. Wish I would've preordered deus ex, but there will be a sale eventually.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
ok i might give this a try. should i just make a free account, or is there some better way of doing it that I should know about? (like the one mentioned in the OP)

Waiting for UK pricing structure to be announced, then I'll jump on board.
I have a 20MB broadband connection, and I'm with BT (their partner in the UK) so would be daft not to join in!!!

pedr0theli0n said:
ok i might give this a try. should i just make a free account, or is there some better way of doing it that I should know about? (like the one mentioned in the OP)

Just go to onlive.com and make a free account.

Someone saw screens featuring the game at OnLive's booth at PAX. It's coming soon. I'm more concerned with input lag than anything else.

http://lagthis.com/2011/08/street-fighter-4-arcade-edition-coming-to-onlive/

photo-12.jpg

Bboy AJ

They have to be showing off no input lag if they're using SF4. They have to.

Reave

Bboy AJ said:
I'd agree. Not really sure if the connection they used for PAX is comparable to what most users use, so even though it was ballsy of them to present a fighting game at the show, there's still some cause for concern about how SF will play when it's officially on OnLive.

Bboy AJ said:
This is a make it or break it title for OnLive. I hope they have introduced a latency update when it comes out. Hopefully, it will be out on Tuesday.

Reave

OnLive is having a Facebook "Likes" promotion in the making. If we can get 45,000 likes by labor day weekend, they're going to give each of us a voucher to get Batman: Arkham Asylum for 99 cents!

In other words, get your ass over to their Facebook page and help make this happen! SWEAR TO ME!!!

http://on.fb.me/mZZBPO

Reave

Labor Day Sale: A whole slew of games are 75% off, guys. Just picked up Alpha Protocol for $3.50 and Tomb Raider: Guardian of Light for $2.70. Check it out!

BiggNife

What happened to Warhammer 40k Space Marine and Dawn of War Retribution? I don't see either listed as coming soon in the marketplace anymore.

HELL YES, I'VE BEEN ACTIVATED

*ahem*

Sorry, anyway. I just joined Onlive (preordered Arkham City and got the Microconsole for free) and I'm totally digging the service. I do experiance the occasional "network error" but they really are few and far between. Every other time is silky smooth.

My tag is SketchSanchez
so far I have the plackpack, ghostbusters, aliens vs. predator, amesia, and alpha protocol. So add me if you want.

Anyone buy anything form the labor day sale? Some of those games were 3 bucks for me, my jaw almost hit the floor.

Bboy AJ

BiggNife said:
What happened to Warhammer 40k Space Marine and Dawn of War Retribution? I don't see either listed as coming soon in the marketplace anymore.
I didn't see them last night but I do now. Huh.

I'm grabbing Virtual Tennis and AvP for cheap!

Bboy AJ

Bboy AJ said:
I didn't see them last night but I do now. Huh.
Scratch that, I still don't. WTF? I wanted Space Marine.

Ah, here we go:

We are writing to let you know that all the features of Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine will not be available on the OnLive Game Service at the time of its release, September 6 at 12:01 a.m. (EDT). While we are confident that the single-player modes will launch according to schedule, we will be working diligently to get the multiplayer component completed as quickly as possible. Look for an update soon on when multiplayer will be available.

Because we value your trust in pre-ordering from us, we wanted to give you a heads-up and offer you a promo code redeemable for $20 off any OnLive purchase, as a thank you for your patience. To redeem it, simply log in to OnLive and use code ******** on checkout.

If you would like to cancel your pre-order instead of using this promo code, please follow the instructions here: http://support.onlive.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/160

Thanks again for placing your trust in us. If you have questions, please contact us via support.onlive.com.

Sincerely,
Your friends at OnLive

sikkinixx

Batman AA is 99 cents with the coupon code "99CENTS". You already have to have your credit card info on file, otherwise the deal won't work apparently.

Also, anyone tried pairing that 50% off coupon they gave out at PAX with the Batman AC preorder? It's $50 AND you get another game free. So I figured you can get Batman AC and Deus Ex for $25. Not bad. I'm just somewhat leery of not getting my own copy. Argh.

Bboy AJ

OnLive. I do all of my single player gaming on OnLive. For multiplayer, the community isn't there yet. Of course, I am contributing to the problem.

Reave

19Kilo said:
Just used the 99CENTS code and got Batman AA for .69 cents (after PP discount) O_O. Crazy.
Same here. I had to laugh a bit at the price point -- felt like highway robbery.

Insane deal, OnLive.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Llama Drama on there, add me. I went ahead and got batman, and I am bidding on some consoles on ebay.

Berksy

OnLive doesn't want my money :(
It doesn't accept my European CC even with fake billing info.
Anyway to bypass this?

i checked this out today, pretty impressed. the screen resolution was kind of blurry and jaggy but the game performed well. is there anyway to improve the graphics in the games? might be interested but my pc is good enough to run these new games looking much better. still a really awesome setup they have, especially if your PC isn't that great

AndyD

aka andydumi
FrenchMovieTheme said:
i checked this out today, pretty impressed. the screen resolution was kind of blurry and jaggy but the game performed well. is there anyway to improve the graphics in the games? might be interested but my pc is good enough to run these new games looking much better. still a really awesome setup they have, especially if your PC isn't that great

I think quality varies based on your internet speed and wireless/wired.

Bboy AJ

AndyD said:
Llama Drama on there, add me. I went ahead and got batman, and I am bidding on some consoles on ebay.
I have a spare console, brand new, if anyone is interested. PM me with offers. Shipped in US only.

AndyD said:
I think quality varies based on your internet speed and wireless/wired.

well i have verizon fios which gets really good speeds so i'm not sure how much it could improve for me. are you getting a really crisp picture when you play? maybe i need to adjust the settings in onlive or something

Top Bottom