• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 1 PSN account per Vita - Cancel your preorders :(

Rolf NB

No. for instance Bioshock 2 DLC from US does not work on my EU copy of Bioshock 2.
DLC region mismatches are a separate issue. It's not the OS blocking the "off-region" DLC. It's the game itself not recognizing it, because it's indexed by disc title id, which is different by region.

I was referring to PSP/Vita.
That kind of assumes that both behave the same. I was just pointing out that the PS3 sets a different precedent. Until someone in the know clarifies, we can't really tell which one of the two models Vita will follow.

- Powerful portable HW
- Price
- Region free gaming
- Dual sticks
- 5 inch OLED screen

At the end of day it depends what you find more important. Does the positives outweighs the negatives?

These are all old news that we already know form day one or near day one........

In the end what made me not buying vita is the same as 3ds , battery life.

3ds fire emblem will push me to buy day one but Mario 3d land and kart 7 is very temping too.....

gogogow

And I believe iOS devices work the same way, no? You can only ever have one account in the system and switching requires a format, doesn't it?

Now, thinking again #2 makes me worried... it would be epic-level douchebaggery if memory cards must be "linked" to specific accounts.

You can have multiple accounts with iTunes, let's say one Amercian, one UK. You can buy stuff and sync with your iOS device and it will work, it's pretty hassle-free, no need to activate regional account like with the PSP, no idea about Vita yet.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Every single announcement since the price has made the vita look worse.

Looks like I'm skipping portable games this cycle except for stuff on my phone here and there.

The memory price gouging is enough to prevent any interest until it's hacked wide open.

Any news about whether the DLC stuff will be region locked? Thats only reason I have multiple accounts on PS3. If its not the case with Vita I'm ok with this, sort of.

If the PSN were set up properly (like Steam, where even if games aren't available, other people can gift them to you), this wouldn't be a problem. But since it's a complete fucking mess between the three different divisions, this is bullshit. What if I want to play Jeanne d'Arc? I don't even have the option of buying it because SCEE were enormous dicks and never bothered localising it. Fuck, what if I just want to play one of the Ys games? Not available in Australia or New Zealand so I'm fucked.

This isn't as bad as Nintendo region locking everything but it's a huge annoyance.

Galdelico

For me, that's some very bad news.

I can deal with the 1-only-account restriction on PSP because I don't buy pretty much anything for it from PSN (just a few Minis every now and then, so I have no problem in leaving logged in the only account I use for shopping).

But assuming my use of PSN + Vita could get close to actual mine on PS3 - so games and DLCs, from both EU and US PS Store - well, that kinda sucks.

gogogow

These are all old news that we already know form day one or near day one........

3ds fire emblem will push me to buy day one but Mario 3d land and kart 7 is very temping too.....

So? Positives are still positives, unless things have changed, they still count. But yeah, it has been negative after negative lately.

mehdi_san

In terms of connecting the vita to your ps3 i wouldn't be surprised tbh if it does exactly that.

Well it did say factory so i would assume all you've listed is on the chopping block (date and time also).

I added the Japanese phrasing in the OP, after talking with Steve (RedSunGamer) and arguing about the meaning of 初期化 in Japanese. For me, it means "reset or format", as in back to factory settings, but he's more optimistic and thinks it won't be that different from PSP...

Dreweyes

Although this is unfortunate, I dont see any titles that I would want that wont already be available stateside.
But I'm not getting one at launch, going to continue to support the 3DS.

gogogow

This 1 account per Vita makes ZERO sense. It's a region free device. You can buy a Japanese game, but can't buy DLC, because you have a US/EU account.

Kyoufu

If the PSN were set up properly (like Steam, where even if games aren't available, other people can gift them to you), this wouldn't be a problem. But since it's a complete fucking mess between the three different divisions, this is bullshit. What if I want to play Jeanne d'Arc? I don't even have the option of buying it because SCEE were enormous dicks and never bothered localising it. Fuck, what if I just want to play one of the Ys games? Not available in Australia or New Zealand so I'm fucked.

This isn't as bad as Nintendo region locking everything but it's a huge annoyance.

Yep. PSN can't evolve until Sony gets their heads out of their asses and stops with this SCEJ/SCEA/SCEE region bullshit.

The fact that we still can't gift anything to friends on the stores is laughable.

I added the Japanese phrasing in the OP, after talking with Steve (RedSunGamer) and arguing about the meaning of 初期化 in Japanese. For me, it means "reset or format", as in back to factory settings, but he's more optimistic and thinks it won't be that different from PSP...

初期化 means back to original setting in chinese, what does the psp manual said when changing account ?Anyone have japan psp manual?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Every single announcement since the price has made the vita look worse.

Are offerings really just the sum of recent news for you guys, or can you not evaluate something for what it actually is overall, rather than the run of news around a system in a given time period?

I mean, all 'the good stuff' is still there.

And FWIW news about the launch line-ups and the OS, for example, has been 'good' in the recent past. I think there's a bit of stretching going around about some of the news too - 3G caps, for example, are a carrier thing, not Vita specific. And the device appears to be unlocked in Europe, so it may well be the case elsewhere too even if they're not advertising it as such.

This 'bad news' should also be put in perspective. The setup here isn't perfect but it's a lot better than its competitor still. One account (at a time) is better than none too!

I think the only 'bad news' of real consequence put forward above is the memory card stuff.

plainr_

Shitty news but I'm sure people will find workarounds.

Maybe a system format isn't all that bad. What could you possibly lose on the Vita itself that is important other than system settings? Everything else is stored on removable storage cards.

Durante

What positives?I am serious , what positives?Games? I missed something?
Is this a serious question?

- fantastic hardware (both efficient and high-end)
- a fucking OLED display, the best display technology ever invented for gaming
- a huge variety of input methods, all of them apparently well realized ("real" sticks, capacitive multitouch)
- region free (retail) software
- a huge -- and far above average quality wise -- launch lineup
- very good hardware value proposition (outside of memory cards)

Really, those are the very core features of a portable console. The negatives are regrettable, but to act as if there are no positives is just stupid. It really seems like some posters have no memory beyond the last 3 headlines.

Aeana

This 1 account per Vita makes ZERO sense. It's a region free device. You can buy a Japanese game, but can't buy DLC, because you have a US/EU account.

Maybe it isn't!
...Maybe Shuhei lied. (._. )

Come on Sony, let the other shoe drop already.

kaioshade

Good job Sony.
You still don't get it. And here i thought MAYBE you had gotten it through your skulls that restricting things for the sake of restricting things was a moronic thing to do. Way to prove me wrong.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Hahaha. Yeah. No Vita for me. Thank you for the extra money on my bank account, Sony.

deim0s

One thing... you can back-up the content on the Vita right either USB or PS3 (did they say anything about this?)

If so, not a big deal then. Just copy the say US content, format, copy back the JP content.

mehdi_san

初期化 means back to original setting in chinese, what does the psp manual said when changing account ?Anyone have japan psp manual?

Just tried with my PSP, and choosing 初期化 in the settings menu says it will reset:
Video, photo, system settings, theme/backrground settings, date and time, Sounds, Energy savings, display output, RSS channels, security, network, location free, remote play, internet browser, music, camera, and PSN account settings.

Basically, everything...

Are offerings really just the sum of recent news for you guys, or can you not evaluate something for what it actually is overall, rather than the run of news around a system in a given time period?

I mean, all 'the good stuff' is still there.

And FWIW news about the launch line-ups and the OS, for example, has been 'good' in the recent past. I think there's a bit of stretching going around about some of the news too - 3G caps, for example, are a carrier thing, not Vita specific. And the device appears to be unlocked in Europe, so it may well be the case elsewhere too even if they're not advertising it as such.

This 'bad news' should also be put in perspective. The setup here isn't perfect but it's a lot better than its competitor still. One account (at a time) is better than none too!

I think the only 'bad news' of real consequence put forward above is the memory card stuff.

the bad news is new, the good news is old. both still apply, but i don't know that it's really our responsibility to remind people of all the good stuff about the PSVita if something bad comes out about it.

and i don't think its our responsibility to say 'but Nintendo did something worse!' every time Sony does something bad. bad is bad. i want the Vita to be everything it can be. this is not something i wanted. it won't stop me getting one when i can afford one, but just like them taking away video out, it's a step back from the PSP, and i think it was fair not to expect any steps backwards.

Jimrpg

bit of a balls up.... its obvious why they did it, to make people buy more than one system... but don't they realise that if people are given the choice of playing for free on someone else's account or forking out $300 just to own a machine and playing on your own account, its obvious people will just play it for free for as long as they can until they get bored.... its a decision that's unlikely to make them anymore money but just frustrates users in the end.

still i can see this only hurting people who want to download DLC. its still possible to play imports, you just have to buy the physical copy.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is rather strange. We can't even log out and log in with different email/pw?

You can but you have to reset to factory settings in order to do that.

It's 'only 1 PSN account' at a time rather than 1 PSN account period. This news is about the relative hassle of switching to another account rather than not being able to do it at all.

The hassle may be small or bigger depending on how much you deviate from factory default settings on different things, I guess.

the bad news is new, the good news is old. both still apply, but i don't know that it's really our responsibility to remind people of all the good stuff about the PSVita if something bad comes out about it.

We literally had people on the prior page wondering if Vita had any positives. I mean, come on...

And bad is relative. This is bad relative to the ideal situation (i.e. something like the PS3's setup), but it's not the worst setup in the world either.

Aeana

bit of a balls up.... its obvious why they did it, to make people buy more than one system... but don't they realise that if people are given the choice of playing for free on someone else's account or forking out $300 just to own a machine and playing on your own account, its obvious people will just play it for free for as long as they can until they get bored.... its a decision that's unlikely to make them anymore money but just frustrates users in the end.

still i can see this only hurting people who want to download DLC. its still possible to play imports, you just have to buy the physical copy.

Okay.
I bought Final Fantasy Type-0 on PSN with the intent of playing it on Vita with the enhancements. I've actually done this with several games. I intended to buy Japanese Vita games on PSN, too, because it is a far cheaper solution than buying the physical version for someone outside of Japan.

This news may potentially ruin that for me. I will wait (im)patiently for Japanese launch for definitive information about this, but on paper it sounds like it ruins my particular use case pretty well.

olimpia84

It's getting harder and harder for me to like this system. I'm getting the Vita much later on (with a reduced price tag by then hopefully).

Guys, guys, guys, you're all missing the big picture, here.

PSN revamp + only one account per system = PSN will finally allow content purchases across regions with a single account!

... please?

gogogow

You can but you have to reset to factory settings in order to do that.

It's 'only 1 PSN account' at a time rather than 1 PSN account period. This news is about the relative hassle of switching to another account rather than not being able to do it at all.

The hassle may be small or bigger depending on how much you deviate from factory default settings on different things, I guess.

I see, thanks. That is indeed rather strange. Why would they do that? I understand one account for a portable device and not like what can be done on the PS3, but this, i'm not sure what they are trying to achieve. Region locking the PSN stores? Maybe they'll remove the restriction with a firmware if people make a big enough problem out of it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
clay_ghost said:
These are all old news that we already know form day one or near day one
But battery life has been known basically since day one too. As were the expensive proprietary cards, no DISC BC and no Video Out.

The only "new" piece of "bad-news" I'm aware of has been the account thing.

Aeana

But battery life has been known basically since day one too. As were the expensive proprietary cards, no DISC BC and no Video Out.

The Vita not supporting PSX games at launch was pretty bad news for me.

androvsky

One thing... you can back-up the content on the Vita right either USB or PS3 (did they say anything about this?)

If so, not a big deal then. Just copy the say US content, format, copy back the JP content.

Yeah, there's a content management program on the Vita that lets you move everything to a PS3 or PC (it's part of the PS3 4.0 firmware). With the big games and tiny, overpriced memory sticks, I get the feeling a lot of people are going to be moving stuff off and on the system a lot anyway.

It's still worse than simply activating the system with a different region account. I'm also upset that Sony appears to have screwed up content management with the PSP and PS3 in the latest PS3 firmware (it still works, but it's crap now), but that's another rant...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Aeana said:
The Vita not supporting PSX games at launch was pretty bad news for me.
Good point - I forgot about that one. Maybe I'm still in denial that they'll address that by WW launch.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I see, thanks. That is indeed rather strange. Why would they do that? I understand one account for a portable device and not like what can be done on the PS3, but this, i'm not sure what they are trying to achieve. Region locking the PSN stores? Maybe they'll remove the restriction with a firmware if people make a big enough problem out of it.

Well the philosophy on their handhelds is '1 person to each handheld' so for them they probably do not envisage people changing accounts on it too much. They probably don't mind making it relatively more hassle to switch accounts if it discourages people sharing one machine.

Of course if they wanted to garner favour among importers etc. they'd make account switching easy. But it's not a use-case they're really focused on I don't think.

PS3 is different. Home system - to be shared among a family etc. A by-product of that is that it makes digital importing easier, but it wasn't the primary intention.

And even it can be considered somewhat old since IIRC it was confirmed by Yoshida some time ago. What we didn't know is the added step of the system reset if you want to log in another account.

Also this just shows that their separation horseshit is still in full affect after all those talks of being more "integrated".

The battery life was what making me not buying vita(and 3ds) before all the new bad news.

BTW my what positive? was sarcasm , sony have way too much bad news nowadays that make it difficult for consumer to remember the good news :p
At least i do not think sony is going to price cut vita in 6 months and screw day one buyer like Nintendo

Takao

Banned
This is not surprising. Sony's always believed 1 handhend per person. Therefore, having sub-accounts wasn't an option.

Top Bottom