• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opera 10 Final(ly) Released: It Only Does Everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

malsumis

IcedTea said:
Since I'm here, there are 4 things that I really love Firefox for. I almost switched after using Firefox 3.5 but I had a hard time living without this stuff. 3.6 is so snappy that I don't think it is necessary anymore, but Opera is still a bit more lightweight.

1) Auto Pager. Anything like this for Opera?
Unfortunately no, but it could be easily done with UserJS, but nobody did it yet. Meanwhile tryout FastForward for kicks. When you are reading, just press space, and that will scroll you exactly one page, so you can continue reading. When you are at the bottom of the page, press space, Opera will scroll as down as it is possible, and then press space again, FastForward will activate, and you will be brought to the next page in series.(Try it in google, it works there for sure, but doesn't work on GAF. If you're a tinkerer, you can tweak FastForward in fastforward.ini, it's pretty easy, and a few years ago I made it work with nearly every website)

2) Gmail notifier. I have several gmail accounts and it is handy to be able to track them all without having to log in and stuff. Any solutions to track multiple gmail accounts at once?
http://widgets.opera.com/widget/9141/ - the multi-gmail widget. Or you could use Opera as your mail client. Not only you will get a notification whenever you get a message, but also you will be able to read it. Use imap, so your messages won't be deleted. The space tip works in the mails also, btw.

Oh, and on a side note, if you fire up Mail in Opera then you will notice that google took a few tips from Opera :p

3) Stylish/Greasemonkey. I know that you can define custom stylesheets per site and there is a UserJS file you can change that is mostly compatible with greasemonkey, but I tweak stuff all the time. Is it possible to install/edit custom JS and CSS files inside of the browser with a few clicks, or do you have to manually edit and reload outside files or restart the browser every time?

You drop your JS into a folder in separate files, and that's it. you only need to refresh the site, Opera will catch the updated JS or whatever on the fly when you refresh the page.
I remember having to browse the browser's install folder, find one random file to open, edit it inside a text editor, save, restart the browser, reload the page to check the tweak, repeat x1000 back in the firefox 1.0 days. Not fun.
That was years ago, no longer applies, since at least v8.5
4) Bugmenot and Trashmail. Any way to integrate these with the browser at all? Being able to create throwaway email accounts when registering for stuff, or just using a trash login and not having to register just to view one random article or forum post or whatever is so nice.
Probalby easy to do with custom menus and stuff. Heck, I had one for bugmenot for a long time. But I need to know how exactly is it working in firefox extension.

DogWelder

Antagon said:
You know that Chrome took the idea of thumbnails on tabs from Opera, right? Only difference is taht Chrome automatically fills it with the most visited sites while in Opera you have to fill them by hand.
Yes I do. I download all releases of the major browsers and test them to see which one best fits my needs. Speed dial is good, but it's just a bookmark page. My most frequented sites change weekly, Chrome automatically reflects these changes.

White Man

In good browser news, the latest dev build (apparently from Sept 1st, even) of Chrome for Mac is pretty darned usable. I'm still putting it through the gauntlet, but so far so good. The crummy aspect of this is that it really doesn't seem any faster than Safari, but that's kinda to be expected.

IcedTea

malsumis said:

Awesome, thanks. I'll look into all that when I get the chance.

Also, damn the new UI is pretty. I've messed with more browsers than I can count and Opera 10's is the first that actually looks nice.

malsumis

IcedTea said:
Awesome, thanks. I'll look into all that when I get the chance.

Also, damn the new UI is pretty. I've messed with more browsers than I can count and Opera 10's is the first that actually looks nice.

Ok, found my tuned fastforward.ini. It's tuned mostly for polish sites, but
there are some english tweaks, and it works with GAF. Just check the path for fastforward.ini in opera:config and copy the following text into fatforward.ini. Should work. Just remember that while editing any opera ini files, opera should be closed, and that all inis are utf-8. Otherwise strange things may happen.

fastforward.ini said:
Opera Preferences version 2.0
; This file is part of the Opera browser.
; This file is UTF-8 encoded.
[Fast forward]

Link element=400
Wand login=300
Show image=50
Next image=200

->=40
-->=40
==>=40
»=52
>>=40
>=55

;English
NEXT=50
Next=50
View next topic=10
Next Thread »=10
Next page = 20

;Norwegian
Neste
Neste side

;Deutsch
Nächste=500
Nächste Seite
Weiter
Vorwärts
Naechste
Naechste Seite
Vorwaerts

;Afrikaans
Volgende
Volgende bladsy
Volg
Verder

;Dutch
Volgende
Volgende pagina

;French
Suivant
Prochaine
Page suivante
Page prochaine
Suivants
Suivantes

;Italian
Successive
Pagina successiva
Succ

;Spanish
Siguiente
Página siguiente
Próxima
Próximos
Pagina siguiente

;Portuguese
Próximo
Página próximo
Página seguinte

;Esperanto
Venonta
Venonta pago
Venonta pagho
Venonta pagxo
Venonta pago

;Swedish
Nästa
Nästa sida

;Danish
Næste
Næste side

;Chinese (traditional and simplified)
下一頁
下一页

;Turkish
Sonraki

;Russian
Следующая

;Korean
다음

;Japanese
次へ

;Icelandic
Næst

;Finnish
Seuraava

;Greek
Επόμενη

;Bulgarian
Напред
Следва
Следващ
Следващ сайт
Следващо
Следваща
Следваща страница
Следващи
Следна
Пълен напред
Нататък

;Polish
Następny=50
Następna=50
Następny nowszy »=50
Dalej=50
Następne=50
Więcej=50

opera opens like 2 seconds faster than firefox for me and i'm using mac osx, awesome.

the only thing that bothers me is the missing bookmark area under the adressbar.
this :
bc0jhnww5nrofg62m.png

EDIT: ok, nevermind, found it...

Shiggie

White Man said:
Just installed it on the Mac and opened it up. The first run page wouldn't load. I closed it and opened it again. It asked if I wanted it to be the default browser. I hit no. I loaded up the neogaf front page, and it loaded none of the css. Yep, this is Opera alright. I give em a shot on every major release, and I always end up going back, running and screaming, to the status quo.
Works for me. Maybe something is wrong with your setup?

Wanace

IcedTea said:
2) Gmail notifier. I have several gmail accounts and it is handy to be able to track them all without having to log in and stuff. Any solutions to track multiple gmail accounts at once?

Why don't you have all your gmail accounts forwarded to one address and then set up your accounts so you can send mail from any account using your main login? That's what I did and I can send and receive email from 4 gmail addresses as well as my university address using my main gmail login.

Daigoro

im willing to try it.

i switched from Opera back to Firefox with the last release because Opera was running rather slow for me for some reason, and it didnt work with specific sites i needed (like my timesheet for work).

hopefully its better now, or that fix someone posted on the last page will work. id hate to have to do that for more than a few pages, but Opera was usually good for me for 99% of the rest of the pages i used.

i hope it works out for me. ive always really liked Opera. and speed dial rules. (the firefox apps for it seem to suck)

How do I activate these gestures? I didn't see it in the settings, and that's the determining factor on whether I switch from Firefox. They're not working straight from installation.

soul

weird, I'm trying to download it for Ubuntu jaunty and every location I choose to download from gives me an error - not found page.

Wraith

jonnybryce said:
How do I activate these gestures? I didn't see it in the settings, and that's the determining factor on whether I switch from Firefox. They're not working straight from installation.

That's weird, the first time you use a gesture(right-click + left, for instance) a pop up should show that says something about being a first time gesture user and do you want to leave them enabled. Anyway, the checkbox is in Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Shortcuts. Top of the list.

Antagon

jonnybryce said:

It should work straight away. If not you can turn it on in preferences->advanced->shortcuts or use opera:config

glistenm

Banned
jonnybryce said:

If it's your first install. Just do a mouse gesture, for the first time I'll give you a pop up asking if you want to continue using them.

glistenm

Banned
I'm really surprised and disappointed they didn't throw in jumplist support for 7 =(

Would love to have the speed deal accessible from there.

Crow

santouras said:
RW/FF is fantastic for navigating through sequential photo's in galleries as it usually picks up the next most logical link

I use this all the time :) My current search shortcut list...

g = Google
ga = Google Australia
n = Google News
i = Google Images
w = Wiki
y = youtube
e = ebay
p = photobucket
t = tinypic
b = Bing

It's so hard to use another browser when you can't use shortcuts for search

you can do this with Firefox. I regular use 16 different shortcuts with firefox.

Miau

Neo Member
malsumis, thank you for your "create new searches" tip. I wanted to make one for Youtube and I knew that it was possible even in previous versions, but I never bothered.:lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I hope Opera 10 Final USB comes out soon, Opera@USB + Link = everything everywhere.

Opera is beautiful, fast, and feature-filled without the bloat that Firefox seems to be growing accustomed to, and 10 is just more of the same, only better. I even managed to get two of my firefox buddies and an IE user to switch to Opera just the other day.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gotta love the Microsoft IE8 ads served through Google on this thread about Opera. Irony!

Anyways, at http://www.opera.com/browser/next they state that the next version will be 10.10 (catchy! if a bit unnecessary for the extra zero), and it will include Opera Unite built-in. I've also heard it will include Carakan, their new super-fast Javascript engine (replacing the Futhark that's been apart of Opera since 9.5), but that's currently unconfirmed. Hopefully we'll all be wowed by all the extra polish going into Unite. :D

Well i loved Opera 10 when I first tried out. Seems like they fixed it for the final release. WOOT> neogaf doesn't look so small anymore! I'll use this as my default browser for now.

Blackface

Banned
Downloaded it and I am trying it out. So far so good. It's pretty quick, not as fast as Chrome though. However it has all the features I want.

What are peoples main complaints with it?

I may switch from firefox.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DMPrince said:
On facebook I can't seem to click the link to comment on people's statuses.

The latest Facebook update (where it stretched the blue bar on top all the way across) hasn't liked Opera so well. I can comment, though sometimes I get a "transport error".

Andrex said:
The latest Facebook update (where it stretched the blue bar on top all the way across) hasn't liked Opera so well. I can comment, though sometimes I get a "transport error".

Happens on Firefox too. I get the same error. Oh well. I can live without commenting there.

Slayven

Links to different sites open in a new tab, without taking focus

Addresses from history, address bar, search bar, and bookmarks open in a new tab. Without taking focus.

Stuff like that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Slayven said:
Links to different sites open in a new tab, without taking focus

Middle Click or Ctrl+Shift+Left Click.

Slayven said:
Addresses from history, address bar, search bar, and bookmarks open in a new tab. Without taking focus.

Ctrl+Shift+Enter

Slayven said:
Stuff like that.

All of these keyboard shortcuts are customizable, too.

freshair

ganbareneopokekun said:
opera opens like 2 seconds faster than firefox for me and i'm using mac osx, awesome.

the only thing that bothers me is the missing bookmark area under the adressbar.
this :
bc0jhnww5nrofg62m.png

EDIT: ok, nevermind, found it...

How'd you manage to get it under the address bar. I'm only able to place it above the address bar. :(

santouras

glistenm said:
I'm really surprised and disappointed they didn't throw in jumplist support for 7 =(

Would love to have the speed deal accessible from there.
I've noticed only MS programs really have jumplist support. I want it in other apps like skype and winamp as well. Is it possible for end users to make up their own jumplists? It just seems weird that different software people haven't done jumplist support for an OS that is obviously going to be big and has been in open beta for a long time

I switched to Opera at version 6, I liked FF but when loading it always makes it seem it's ripping my HDD apart. Anyway liking Opera 10, finally built-in spell-checker. Also you guys should try Opera with the Chrome skin.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
malsumis said:
In what context? You mean like when you edit a forum post?

When I create new posts, if you have an Xbox.com account and are using Firefox head over and start a new post, above the text box you get the bar with font, size, color, bold, italic, etc (kind of like Neogaf), but it will only show up in Firefox and some IE.

On browsers like Safari, Chrome and Opera it is not there, and furthermore when posting it crams your post together and deletes the returns unless you enter line code.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
malsumis said:
Deadly Cylcone, if you go to xbox.com, tell the site that you are using Firefox, instead Opera. To do this, simply right click anywhere on the site, that is not an image or a link, and select "Site Preferences", then go to "Network tab" and select "Identify as Firefox" and refresh the site. You'll have the rich edit box.

What the site is doing is basically disallowing every browser to use the features the site it thinks they do not support, yet the site is wrong. This is a common case with Opera, most sites that do not work, or lack features can be fixed like this.

Woah, thanks a ton. *Heads to try it out*

EDIT: Works great. Do you know how to make it work on Chrome and Safari? Is there a similar technique?

artist

Banned
I know this is really a stupid question .. but where is the option to turn this off: I want new tabs that I open to be inactive, dont want to navigate away from the current page.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
santouras said:
I've noticed only MS programs really have jumplist support. I want it in other apps like skype and winamp as well. Is it possible for end users to make up their own jumplists? It just seems weird that different software people haven't done jumplist support for an OS that is obviously going to be big and has been in open beta for a long time

It is, the APIs were available as early as February. However, just like with Vista's drivers, even though they've had ample time, software houses just aren't interested until it's put in the hands of potential customers.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
irfan said:
I know this is really a stupid question .. but where is the option to turn this off: I want new tabs that I open to be inactive, dont want to navigate away from the current page.

Middle Click on links or hold down Ctrl and Shift when you click. You can customize it by going to Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Shortcuts -> Opera Standard -> Edit.

artist

Banned
Andrex said:
Middle Click on links or hold down Ctrl and Shift when you click. You can customize it by going to Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Shortcuts -> Opera Standard -> Edit.
TY :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
irfan said:

NP. <3

Xdrive05 said:
Is there any easy way to import my bookmarks from Chrome?

I don't think so. :/ You can try and convert the Bookmarks file under C:\Users\<YOUR NAME>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default but unfortunately Chrome doesn't offer even a single export option for its data, unlike Opera.

Edit- You can try this and see how it goes for you.

Xdrive05

Andrex said:
NP. <3

I don't think so. :/ You can try and convert the Bookmarks file under C:\Users\<YOUR NAME>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default but unfortunately Chrome doesn't offer even a single export option for its data, unlike Opera.

Edit- You can try this and see how it goes for you.

Thanks. I ended up exporting to IE8, then importing from IE8 to Opera. With a little tweaking I think I finally have everything where I need it. Thanks again though. :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Xdrive05 said:
Thanks. I ended up exporting to IE8, then importing from IE8 to Opera. With a little tweaking I think I finally have everything where I need it. Thanks again though. :D

You're welcome. :)

glistenm

Banned
santouras said:

Only foobar has windows 7 support and even that is through a plugin, I don't think devs want to throw in their work until it's official official finally out.

yoopoo

Banned
A must have to browse neogaf...a button to disable/enable gifs with one click. How can you people stand these horrible video clips turned into avatars...yuck. This you you can keep the gifs off till you want to see a funny gifs in npd or sony threads.

gif.jpg

Made with Opera button maker http://nontroppo.org/tools/buttonmaker/

You can also do it with the quick preferences button. But I like the separate gif button.

prefs.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
yoopoo, do you know how to make a keyboard shortcut to a button? Like I want Ctrl or Alt + B to open my new bookmarks button. LOVING the no-menu bar thing right now by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom