• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opera 10 Final(ly) Released: It Only Does Everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
jett said:
about:cache stopped working in Opera 9.64, which annoyed me plenty. Does this work in Opera 10?

If that's what I'm thinking it is, they switched it to opera:cache as all those little commands begin with opera: now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
jett said:
about:cache stopped working in Opera 9.64, which annoyed me plenty. Does this work in Opera 10?

Yup. It redirects it to opera:cache now though.

Zyzyxxz

Yes! As much as I love Chrome I feel Opera is much more stable and at least it can load friggin images which makes browsing GAF a chore sometimes.

Also after switching to Chrome from Opera I miss the Wand, I hate having to retype my passwords into everything especially since I share a computer.

bard

Heh, I love the Firefox people who claim they "can't" use Opera because it doesn't do what their FF + 15 extensions do. Even though it does. By default. And it's still faster. :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Another question, I may try this out at work for my work browser, the one thing I loved about Firefox was the discreet Twitter ap that just put a small icon on your bottom bar, I know Opera has Twitter Apps but they all seem to have big pop up windows, any way to get it to be in the browser so when you click it opens a small timeline?

White Man said:
Just installed it on the Mac and opened it up. The first run page wouldn't load. I closed it and opened it again. It asked if I wanted it to be the default browser. I hit no. I loaded up the neogaf front page, and it loaded none of the css. Yep, this is Opera alright. I give em a shot on every major release, and I always end up going back, running and screaming, to the status quo.

Is it a recommended download for Mac users?

freshair

I have another question: Is there any way to re-order the search boxes?

2qd0j0z.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
freshair said:
I have another question: Is there any way to re-order the search boxes?

2qd0j0z.jpg

Reorder them with the appropriate ID in C:/Users/<YOU>/AppData/Roaming/Opera/Opera/search.ini

Cindres said:
Loving it so far, (though i may be biased, i've been Opera only for god knows how long).
I can't switch browsers because i'm too used to the mouse gestures anyway :lol
have opera installed on my phone and I hate it, doesn't load at least 30 percent of the sites I go to. and its the main browser for my phone so it loads when I hit internet. zoom is nice, if the site loads up.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Scottlarock said:
have opera installed on my phone and I hate it, doesn't load at least 30 percent of the sites I go to. and its the main browser for my phone so it loads when I hit internet. zoom is nice, if the site loads up.

1. Which phone?
2. Opera Mini or Mobile?

malsumis

Deadly Cyclone said:
Another question, I may try this out at work for my work browser, the one thing I loved about Firefox was the discreet Twitter ap that just put a small icon on your bottom bar, I know Opera has Twitter Apps but they all seem to have big pop up windows, any way to get it to be in the browser so when you click it opens a small timeline?
try this maybe: http://www.twitlet.com/ .

Click the big "create" button, give your credentials, and then it will prompt you to drag a link to bookmarks bar. You can drag it to any bar, just make sure that you will pres shift right before you drop the thingy onto your toolbar(after you click the link, if you hold shift while clickiing, Opera will just open it in a new tab)

Alx

Finally installed it (I was waiting for the update to be detected by the browser). It seems to have solved my problems with gmail and agenda. Yay. :)

Maybe it's not new, but did they remove the option to identify your browser as Firefox or IE ?

masud

Banned
Ok decided to give this a try. Couple of questions though.

Is there an incognito or private browsing mode?

How do you import your book marks and history from another browser?

Is there anyway to get the browser to start in full screen mode? And preferably have the bars drop down when the cursor hits the top of the screen?

malsumis

Alx said:
Finally installed it (I was waiting for the update to be detected by the browser). It seems to have solved my problems with gmail and agenda. Yay. :)

Maybe it's not new, but did they remove the option to identify your browser as Firefox or IE ?
Nope, it's in RMB, then site preferences on the network tab.

masud said:
Ok decided to give this a try. Couple of questions though.

Is there an incognito or private browsing mode?
No, but you can delete all traces by using tools -> delete private date
How do you import your book marks and history from another browser?
If they're not imported automatically, go to bookmarks -> manage bookmarks -> under file menu on the bookmarks tab
Is there anyway to get the browser to start in full screen mode? And preferably have the bars drop down when the cursor hits the top of the screen?
dunno, probably not.

Link Man

Banned
So I noticed that Opera automatically saves your session when you close, and reloads your tabs as you last left them. My question is, is there any way to have it automatically refresh those tabs on startup?

wrowa

I kinda switched to Firefox some months ago because the admin panel of a site I write for didn't work with Opera. Just now I installed Opera 10 and ... it works! YES, I can finally use my favorite browser again without the need to switch the browser every so often!

Except of this Opera 10 looks and feels exactly like Opera 9 to me, though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
MrPliskin said:
But does it do private browsing?

Not yet.

wrowa said:
I kinda switched to Firefox some months ago because the admin panel of a site I write for didn't work with Opera. Just now I installed Opera 10 and ... it works! YES, I can finally use my favorite browser again without the need to switch the browser every so often!

Except of this Opera 10 looks and feels exactly like Opera 9 to me, though.

Do you mean your UI isn't updated?

Wraith

MrPliskin said:
But does it do private browsing?

This is the feature I miss most from Opera currently. It's still my primary browser because, in reality, I would never use private browsing. Still, though...

Xdrive05

I think I'll make this my new main browser. Chrome is clearly better for usability and speed (webkit ftw) IMO, but Opera10 has a lot more features and seems more stable (no image loading issues on GAF). Also, I love the scrolling momentum and smoothness in Opera10. It's really fleshed out well now. I dig it.

DarkSloth

Opera 10 has been working great. After I upgraded I got the visual tabs, accidentally, and it scared the hell out of me. I thought I broke something. They're pretty cool. I've never had a need to use them though.

The only thing that makes me sad is that the skin that I use, dimple4, has a couple graphical glitches. I've been using it for years, and it pains me that I had to switch to Cherry.

Mooreberg

malsumis said:
Tell this to safari users whose "incredibly fast browser" is brought down by a few animated gifs.

I don't use Safari. :lol

Anyway liking this a bit more, having torrent and http downloads in the same place is convenient. Is there quicker way to delete history/cache/cookies in fell swoop like firefox? Also can the cache be increased to above 400MB without editing a configuration file or something?

yoopoo

Banned
I wasn't getting instant loading of the page when clicking back button.

Changed opera:config#UserPrefs|HistoryNavigationMode to 3, now its much better. Try it out if you get a delay when hitting back.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
I love the menu navigation button, can get rid of the menu completely:

http://i26.tinypic.com/2mow2zd.png (please ignore the fact that I use large fonts on Windows, it's easier on the eyes even if it makes me look like an elderly person)

Not sure if the other browsers can do this, I tried getting Firefoxto behave this way.

One thing I am not liking about Opera 10 is that it crashes incessantly. At least once per hour. This happened in the beta and it happens now. Going to try a fresh install.

santouras

joshcryer said:
One thing I am not liking about Opera 10 is that it crashes incessantly. At least once per hour. This happened in the beta and it happens now. Going to try a fresh install.
that is a little odd. mine is as solid as a rock over my work and home computers. This was with RC and final.

Did you upgrade from 9.x to 10? Both my current installs started out as 10 beta/RC

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
joshcryer said:
I love the menu navigation button, can get rid of the menu completely:

http://i26.tinypic.com/2mow2zd.png (please ignore the fact that I use large fonts on Windows, it's easier on the eyes even if it makes me look like an elderly person)

Not sure if the other browsers can do this, I tried getting Firefoxto behave this way.

Which grouping is that button under? Can't seem to find it.

Also yeah crashes shouldn't be happening that often. The alphas crashed on me like that, the betas maybe once every couple days, but the RC and final versions have been pretty solid. One thing though, is that if I leave it running for more than a couple hours without activity, if I return to it, it locks up. Was hoping to have that eliminated in the final code. Ah well.

equap said:
thanks to Opera for proof that windows os is better than mac os:
Windows (6.6 MB)
Mac OS X (11 MB)

Like we needed Opera to tell us that. :)

malsumis

Mooreberg said:
I don't use Safari. :lol

Anyway liking this a bit more, having torrent and http downloads in the same place is convenient. Is there quicker way to delete history/cache/cookies in fell swoop like firefox?
Also can the cache be increased to above 400MB without editing a configuration file or something?
Never said that you did. That was a general remark.

For starters: Tools -> delete private data. You can delete whatever you want in one swoop.

The second: Disk Cache configuration (just click the link)

yoopoo said:
I wasn't getting instant loading of the page when clicking back button.

Changed opera:config#UserPrefs|HistoryNavigationMode to 3, now its much better. Try it out if you get a delay when hitting back.
This. That's the old Opera way of using memory cache. Instant. They changed it for version 8.something for compatibility reasons or sth.

andrex said:
Which grouping is that button under? Can't seem to find it.
File -> show menu bar. The button will be shown automatically when you uncheck show menu bar.

mollipen

equap said:
thanks to Opera for proof that windows os is better than mac os:
Windows (6.6 MB)
Mac OS X (11 MB)

I would assume that that is because the Mac version is basically two separate applications: the PowerPC version and the Intel version.

Daigoro

is there some sort of download manager/accelerator for Opera?

i was using Download Them All with Firefox and really really liked it. it seemed to speed things up a lot.

been using Opera 10 for a few days on my home PC and like it a lot.

malsumis

Daigoro said:
is there some sort of download manager/accelerator for Opera?

i was using Download Them All with Firefox and really really liked it. it seemed to speed things up a lot.

been using Opera 10 for a few days on my home PC and like it a lot.
not in an addon style. Open up your panels(F4), and see if there is the "Links" panel. f it's not there, add it by right clicking and selecting customize. In the Appearance dialog on the panel tab enable the Links panel. While you're here, I highly recommend checking "show panel toggle at edge of the window".

In the Links panel there is a list of all links in the page. you can search and filter the links, and download them easily with "Save to download folder". You can select the download folder in advanced preferences in the downloads section.

On a side note, there is also oGet a nifty little addon that integrates Opera with 27 download managers.

Daigoro

malsumis said:
not in an addon style. Open up your panels(F4), and see if there is the "Links" panel. f it's not there, add it by right clicking and selecting customize. In the Appearance dialog on the panel tab enable the Links panel. While you're here, I highly recommend checking "show panel toggle at edge of the window".

In the Links panel there is a list of all links in the page. you can search and filter the links, and download them easily with "Save to download folder". You can select the download folder in advanced preferences in the downloads section.

On a side note, there is also oGet a nifty little addon that integrates Opera with 27 download managers.

hm. thanks for the reply.

i dunno... im missing Download The All here guys. just when i was starting to love the new Opera. :/

surazal

Just updated from 9.27 to 10 and I noticed Opera changed how files are cached. In the old version, files in the disk cache had the extensions of the filetype. In 10, the files have no extensions. Anyone know of a way to get back the old disk caching method?

Overall though, 10 is pretty nice. I'm glad they added options to remove bookmarks and context searching from the address bar. It was one of the main reasons why I didn't upgrade to 9.5.

malsumis

surazal said:
Just updated from 9.27 to 10 and I noticed Opera changed how files are cached. In the old version, files in the disk cache had the extensions of the filetype. In 10, the files have no extensions. Anyone know of a way to get back the old disk caching method?
You can't do it, but as a workaround I suggest using the opera:cache page, where every cache file and the file it is caching is listed.

Daigoro

malsumis said:
Deadly Cylcone, if you go to xbox.com, tell the site that you are using Firefox, instead Opera. To do this, simply right click anywhere on the site, that is not an image or a link, and select "Site Preferences", then go to "Network tab" and select "Identify as Firefox" and refresh the site. You'll have the rich edit box.

ok this is awesome.

the dumbass website i use for to fill out my timesheet for work does not like Opera, but i used the fix above (only i chose "mask as IE"). and it worked like a charm!

really dumb website, very cool feature!

thanks for the tip. :D

edit: i spoke to soon. it lets me log in, but i cant fill out any fields. :/

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
For some obnoxious reason, I can't access any secure sites now that I've got v10. Paperbackswap, my credit card statements, that sort of thing. All I get are "Unable to complete secure transaction" errors, but they open fine on other browsers and worked without a problem on the previous Opera releases. Is there some weird setting I don't know about here?

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Tried it, it doesn't show up in the menu bar if you hide it. The CustomButton still works though (I accidentally deleted it with it missing, so I couldn't figure out how to get the menu bar back so I had to readd it. :lol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom