• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opera 11 Beta released

Status
Not open for further replies.

santouras

banner-jon.jpg

Opera 11: It is almost as fun as riding a narwhal over a double rainbow.

http://www.opera.com/browser/next/

Eleven new reasons to love Opera 11

1. Tab stacking

Opera pioneered powerful tabs. In Opera 11, tab stacking lets you drag one tab over another to create a group. Now, you can keep dozens of webpages open, organized and under control.
Watch video

2. A safer address field

Opera's new address field hides the complexity of long web addresses and gives you better control of your security when browsing. Click on the badge for the website to see information about the site you are visiting. You can even get information about Opera Turbo data savings.

3. Extensions support

You can now browse Opera's extensions catalog to add new functionality easily and customize Opera just how you want it.

4. Visual mouse gestures

Mouse gestures are another Opera innovation that has been made easier-to-use with the addition of an interface that guides you. This allows new users to discover the speed and power that mouse gestures offer.

5. Better performance

Our developers have been hard at work fine-tuning our browser engine to put Opera even further ahead in a number of benchmarks. In Opera 11, pages load faster and complex applications run more smoothly.

6. Enhanced HTML5 support

Support for new standards and HTML5 technologies means that rich, dynamic web applications and multiplayer games can be supported by Opera 11.

7. Extended auto-update

A new auto-update system ensures that your extensions and Opera Unite apps are always up to date with the latest enhancements.

8. Search predictions from Google

Search suggestions predict queries as you type, making searching quicker and easier. Google search predictions are now built into Opera. When using the search field or searching from the address field with the 'g' search keyword, Google search predictions will appear.

9. Plug-ins only on demand

An option has now been added to have plug-ins such as Flash content load only when clicked. This is especially helpful to speed up browsing on computers that have difficulty handling lots of plug-in content.

10. Enhanced email in your browser

A new mail panel gives you control over the order in which your accounts and mail items show up. You can just drag items where you want them. The mail panel can also show your mail panel when you are using it and hide when you leave a mail tab.

11. Faster installation

Even with its many new features, Opera 11 is 30% smaller than Opera 10.60. That means that Opera downloads more quickly and installs in fewer steps. Getting Opera on your computer is easier than ever.

--------------------

Tab stacking is awesome if a little buggy right now. I've wanted this feature in opera for a long time now. Is really great if you're using it as an IRC client. I hate that the address field hides things after the ? but this is going to be an option in the final release apparently. The visual mouse gestures are brilliant too, and I'm sure people will appreciate the plugin "click to load" functionality.

Overall, a very solid release imo and I hope the final with a few fixes isn't too far away.

EDIT: ALSO, a great way to try out the new version without it getting too deeply embedded in your system is to click on "Options" from the first screen of the installer and choosing "Standalone USB install" which will put all its preferences and running files into one folder that can easily be deleted when new versions come along

quaere

santouras said:
6. Enhanced HTML5 support

Support for new standards and HTML5 technologies means that rich, dynamic web applications and multiplayer games can be supported by Opera 11.
Great way of putting it Opera. Cause the most important web apps "can be" supported, but in reality they aren't!

Come on, what's the use of HTML 5 when Google Docs, Google Instant, Google Image Search, Office Web Apps, all don't work correctly? Gmail works, but it still has a couple display errors here and there.

Maybe it's Google's fault, in which case Opera needs to start calling them out publicly on their web standards hypocrisy so something can get done about it. Until this gets fixed, market share will never increase.

santouras

aswedc said:
Great way of putting it Opera. Cause the most important web apps "can be" supported, but in reality they aren't!

Come on, what's the use of HTML 5 when Google Docs, Google Instant, Google Image Search, Office Web Apps, all don't work correctly? Gmail works, but it still has a couple display errors here and there.

Maybe it's Google's fault, in which case Opera needs to start calling them out publicly on their web standards hypocrisy so something can get done about it. Until this gets fixed, market share will never increase.
it's google's fault. Instant and image search work flawlessly when you identify as firefox. very, very annoying

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Loving it! (Well, except for the somewhat buggy mouse gestures, but hopefully that will be taken care of...)

Tab stacking is great, even though it needs some work (among other things, new tabs opened from links in already stacked tabs should automatically join that stack).

On a related note, the LastPass extension for Opera has finally been released: https://addons.labs.opera.com/addons/extensions/details/lastpass/?display=en

This is the one extension I've been waiting for (have used it in Chrome before). Anyone who hasn't tried it, do it! It makes password management so much easier!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So good~

I had been waiting forever to upgrade from the final 10.70 build and this thing is just working flawlessly so far. I love it. <3

santouras

yeah I'm using it as my primary browser at work right now and not experiencing many issues other than the tab stacking/cycling annoyances

OSX users (or anyone else who may know): when I 2-finger scroll up or down pages, the momentum seems a bit sensitive. Is there a way to adjust this?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
If evernote and logmein come over to opera via extensions then i could see myself being swayed back to the browser. I currently use chrome and have had no major issues but i was an opera fan before that for a number of years.

See how it all pans out. Glad to hear that the current beta is working fine for everyone though.

Foob

i dunno if anyone here would know, but is there a extension for chrome that lets me do that tab stacking thing? so good

best browser on OSX from what I can tell. it runs cooler than the Firefox Beta (or regular) and Chrome by about 10C. it's a pretty big deal.

while retaining all the speed you come to expect. I'm very impressed. Stacking is a great idea.

still wondering about the momentum scroll issue. if anyone who uses OSX and has been using Opera for awhile, I'd love some ideas. Momentum scrolling is like...on overdrive.

edit: http://my-beta.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=545891

I guess the OSX issue is a known issue. ugh. it's the only thing that makes it less than perfect. how irritating.

Swag

Wow Opera is such a good browser, amazingly feature rich.

Plus that reload page every x minute feature is AMAZING, no longer will I have to reload my neogaf Gaming / OT tabs every time I look that them.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Plywood said:
Just found an awesome extension for when you would mouse over like Chrome and the URL shows up at the bottom: https://addons.labs.opera.com/addons/extensions/details/popup-statusbar/0.4.1/?display=en

Yep, I've been using that one as well. I already had the status bar disabled before (takes up unnecessary space, if you ask me), so I had to rely on tooltips for URL info, etc. Now I use this extension instead, with tooltips disabled. Looks much better!

Another really useful extension (to me) is ImgTip, which shows images in pop-ups as you hover image links. It may not work perfectly for really large images if you want to see them in their original resolution (they get downscaled), but for quickly checking an image out without having to open it in a separate tab it's great!

Foob said:
i dunno if anyone here would know, but is there a extension for chrome that lets me do that tab stacking thing? so good

Don't think so. But I'm sure it'll be copied soon enough, like all Opera inovations (tabbed browsing (made popular by Opera), mouse gestures, speed dial, etc.).

Why not just try using Opera instead, though? Sure, it's missing quite a lot of the extensions available for Chrome so far, but the library is quickly growing. Like I posted earlier, yesterday LastPass (the single most important extension for me) was released.

Sebulon3k said:
Wow Opera is such a good browser, amazingly feature rich.

Plus that reload page every x minute feature is AMAZING, no longer will I have to reload my neogaf Gaming / OT tabs every time I look that them.

Yeah, when it comes to built-in features Opera is completely unrivaled.

hiro4

Trying it now.
I like it sofar, but some things are quite annoying when upgrading.

Like the location of my bookmarks bar got totally screwed.
Haven't find the way to correct it besides reloading my toolbar setup.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
hiro4 said:
Trying it now.
I like it sofar, but some things are quite annoying when upgrading.

Like the location of my bookmarks bar got totally screwed.
Haven't find the way to correct it besides reloading my toolbar setup.

What did you upgrade from? The "personal bar" was replaced with the bookmarks bar a while ago, maybe something happened there?

Regarding the bookmarks bar, I'd really like an option to only show it on the new tab page (speed dial), like in Chrome. I'd like quick access to bookmarks, but I don't want the bar taking up vertical space all the time. Oh well, the bookmarks panel works fine, I guess.

-----

EDIT: Another very useful extension which I use in Chrome (well, a similar one) and have been missing in Opera has been released: Gmail Checker

It's simply a button which displays the number of unread e-mails. Clicking the button opens Gmail. You can set the update interval to 1 - 30 mins. Finally, no more opening Gmail just to check if there's anything new!

Sanjuro

Alright...giving this Opera nonsense another chance. Have tried it maybe four separate times over the years and have just never liked it. So far this feels like a very polished Firefox 4, or at least where they want to be.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Alright...giving this Opera nonsense another chance. Have tried it maybe four separate times over the years and have just never liked it. So far this feels like a very polished Firefox 4, or at least where they want to be.

If you didn't like it the four previous times I doubt you'll like it now... unless you wanted extensions which Opera now has.

I don't see Standalone USB install on the options screen. I just installed it on my flash drive anyway (currently using a work computer). Will there be junk files on my work comuputer's profile?

Sanjuro

fortified_concept said:
If you didn't like it the four previous times I doubt you'll like it now... unless you wanted extensions which Opera now has.
It doesn't feel anywhere near as cluttered as some of the previous Opera builds I have used.

Sanjuro

Lyphen said:
When was Opera....ever cluttered?
Please don't give me the Opera defense force, I just never liked the browser much.

I just never could customize it quickly and have it work to anywhere near where I would want for my normal browser.

Enco

Lyphen said:
When was Opera....ever cluttered?
This.

Always been an Opera user and this is awesome news. Love testing out their betas.

Then firefox (and all other browsers) steal the awesome new features. Such as speed dial :p

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Please don't give me the Opera defense force, I just never liked the browser much.

I just never could customize it quickly and have it work to anywhere near where I would want for my normal browser.
Alright. But that isn't cluttered, so be more eloquent next time.

Signed,

Opera Defense Force

Sanjuro

Lyphen said:
Alright. But that isn't cluttered, so be more eloquent next time.

Signed,

Opera Defense Force
It was cluttered. With various toolbars on the left, top, bottom, torrents, irc, speed dial nonsense, gestures, etc.

Right now it is identical to Firefox 4, but stable and fast. Extension support is here and growing. I like it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Just admit you don't know what cluttered means so we can put this behind us and walk together into a brighter future.

SRG01

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
It was cluttered. With various toolbars on the left, top, bottom, torrents, irc, speed dial nonsense, gestures, etc.

Right now it is identical to Firefox 4, but stable and fast. Extension support is here and growing. I like it.

Uh. The default view only has a few of those, and advanced features are typically "hidden" from the user until you use them.

malsumis

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

Opera's default interface was mostly unchanged since version 8.00 or so. 8.00 happened nearly 6 years ago.

Enco

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

You do realize that Opera did that whole look first, right?

I can't believe how much they improved the engine. Every web page looks normal now (e.g. Neogaf's tabs are back). It's basically Chrome without the botnet. So how do I stack tabs?

malsumis

ChoklitReign said:
I can't believe how much they improved the engine. Every web page looks normal now (e.g. Neogaf's tabs are back). It's basically Chrome without the botnet. So how do I stack tabs?
Dude, they were broken on the new Firefox 4, on new Opera 10.50, on Chrome whateveritwasbackthen. And they finally fixed them after a rage thread by someone, in which I posted the super simple solution to fixing the tabs :p

Enco

ChoklitReign said:
That was the one issue I had (sites not displaying properly). Very glad it has now been fixed (as far as I can see).

Just drag one tab partly over another. It should go a darker shade of gray and then let go. Awesome feature.

peakish

ChoklitReign said:
To stack tabs you just release them on top of each other. Drag and drop.

SRG01

Shubit said:
I tried the same over the weekend, found it too barren. Went back to Opera.

I'd use Chrome more, but the constant lack of MRU is really grating. I've been an Opera user for close to 5+ years now.

I have some very particular preferences on how I want my browser to look, and Opera tends to give the most versatile level of configurability out there, so it gets closest to my ideal. Here's my particular ruminations on the new featureset:

Tab stacking is something we had in Firefox (via the Tree Style Tab extension), and it is probably the most useful feature for my habits that Opera was sorely lacking. The implementaiton is a little bit clumsier here than in Firefox.
* It only does two levels, compared to the arbitrary amount in Firefox (this may be okay, though, since over 90% of the time I don't need more than that).
* The master tab of the stack is always at the bottom, which is cointerintuitive to me (and as a result the expand/collapse widget moves up or down whenever you click on it).
* The tab that I drag into a stack sometimes becomes the Master of the stack, which is often the opposite of what I want to happen (if I have a "neogaf" stack, I'd want the "Gaming Discussion" page to always be the master and any individual threads I drag in to be subordinate.
* Middle-clicking on a link in the stack puts the newly created tab in the stack, but it also sometimes makes the new page the stack's master, also not what I want to happen, and it sometimes.
* It's also a little bit harder than it should be for me to determine the boundary of a tab stack, but I'm guessing this can be solved with theming (eg, changing the colour of the stack's background to be more substantially different than the tab bar's background).
* It's set in the config to "Activate the last active tab" when you close a tab, but what actually happens is that is activates the master tab of the group.

Extensions are not quite as useful as in firefox, but it does add a bunch of little things that I can use, as well as things that would have been useful years ago as widgets had they not junked the infinitely useful widget toggle key (F6, as I recall) that they had in a beta almost half a decade ago. Best part of them is that like Opera's theming, they take effect instantly instead of having to reboot the browser (Firefox still makes us do that, raaaaage!).
* The FastestTube seems to work better than any of the Firefox-based Youtube downloaders I've tried, but I think I last tried them before Youtube did that massive video conversion, so they're probably all the same by now
* ExcessKeys are really, really nice. I never use access keys because I never know if they're on the site I use. Now there's a little icon that lights up when they're active.
* Turn Off The Lights is probably useless, but I like the idea.
* Unshorten is cool -- Does it work for image references in addition to hyperlinks? I'm getting annoyed at hotlinks to "http://short.url/ebv$#5fhbnfae". We used to get more informative and useful urls, like "http://blah.com/this_obscure_image_is_from_the_classic_film_hudson_hawk.jpeg", and I'd like to take that back.
* Opera Internal Pages is probably the most useful of the lot, but it'd probably be more useful if it were just in the Tools menu.
But as with previous Operas, pretty much all the functionality I need is built in, so Extensions are mostly useless toys.

The Menu button acts like the classic Windows Start Menu, so why isn't it on the lower left? I tried moving it there and liked it a lot better in that position, but when I hit the Alt key to toggle it, the menu appears in the upper-left of the window. This is a minor issue. As for compressing all the menus into one key: I don't like it. I don't dislike it either, but I don't understand why they don't hand this functionality to the window manager. That way, if you like having menus in a bar, you set your OS to show menus. If you like having the menus compressed to a single button, you set your OS to do that. Isn't it a bit jarring when some applications force one interface at you, and other applications force an entirely different one? On one popular platform, most apps have menus across the top, but the web browsing apps have menus embedded into one button, and the productivity apps have menus embedded in a sort of tabbed toolbar interface. Consistency should be our friend, especially if it's a consistency that we can decide on our own. Eh, but I soapbox. I can take or leave this type of menu, as long as I can access the functions.

Mouse Gestures have been a requirement for me for a long time. The new gesture help, where a semitransparent guide appears if you hold down the right mouse button while in mid-gesture, is helpful without being obtrusive, because you have to hold down that button for quite a time. The gestures feel ever so slightly less responsive than in 10.63, but it was worse in the last beta build ("open in background link" didn't work at all in that one!), so they're improving as they go along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom