• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opera 11 Beta released

Status
Not open for further replies.
malsumis said:
opera11release_640.png

I'll just leave this here

:D

malsumis

New snapshot is out:

Download:

Changelog said:
Desktop/cross-platform
DSK-285118 Tab chrome is missing for restored tab when new tab is opened in background
DSK-319143 Opera crashes when closing certificate dialog
DSK-319515 Selecting Start with Speed Dial in crash dialog after crash on exit, opera:config#UserPrefs|StartupType is set to 4
DSK-317769 Chinese fonts on en_US locale is wrongly rendered
DSK-312495 Mouse thumb buttons for back/forward history navigation not working
DSK-320940 Underline when hovering placed at wrong position in bookmark panel
DSK-320554 "Go to Page" dialog does not honor Speed Dial shortcuts
DSK-321099 Default fonts for "unknown" language has mixed up monospace and cursive
DSK-321635 Autoupdate can start two instances of Opera
DSK-321609 Address field skin tweaks
DSK-318613 Add Speed Dial badge
DSK-321891 Selection in address field doesn't start from where you click
DSK-321725 OK/Cancel buttons missing in an enlarged save dialog
DSK-311558 Crash after leaving a page with a flash with wmode="transparent"

Tab stacking
No automatic stacking
Improvements to dragging tabs in and out of stacks
Only the active tab in collapsed stacks are part of the tab order
Fixed various tab order bugs
Various other fixes and tweaks

Extensions
DSK-320806 Extension manager not keyboard navigable
DSK-315918 Not possible to scroll extension manager when cursor is hovering over disabled extension entry
DSK-321138 JS alert on extensions preferences doesn't show extension title
DSK-321943 Update of running extension does not respect the privacy settings and applies default ones (default for update = disallow everything)
DSK-321659 Support for multi line in update notification

Core
CORE-34390 Content-Type header erased from plug-in upload requests
CORE-34799 Keyboard input related crash
CORE-35048 TLS version status for servers not saved on shutdown
CORE-27718 Cache related memory fix
CORE-34004 Improve reliability of aborting pre-flight XHR requests

Windows installer
DSK-315474 Error dialog and empty locked screen dialog when trying to upgrade Opera while in use by another Windows user
DSK-320922 Text in "Install for" help bubble is cut off at the bottom
DSK-315407 Not all running widgets are closed during upgrade
DSK-320724 New installer no longer notices that widgets are running when upgrading
DSK-318966 More space needed for localized strings in new installer
DSK-316264 No Locked File window (and error message) when trying to upgrade Opera when files in the installation folder are locked by other programs on Windows Vista
DSK-314657 Change name of international installer from "in" to "int"

Linux/FreeBSD
DSK-321500 Unix PGO fixes
DSK-321082 Wrong typeface picked when choosing default fonts from collections
DSK-321571 Crash possibly related to Geolocation
DSK-321240 Improvement to DSK-316550 (ATOK automatically turns off)

malsumis

Seriously, few hours later and they release an Opera 11 RC1. Seriously. This is apparently +4 to build number.

Download:

Changelog said:
Desktop/cross-platform
  • More detailed output for "-profilinglog": those affected by slow startup should use this to generate a new log
  • Updated Speed Dial background
  • Added background image to the find text toolbar, geolocation, and friends and another background image to the bookmarksbar
  • Translations strings updated
Tab stacking
  • DSK-321939 (With vertical Tab Bar, stacks animate out of the Tab Bar)
  • DSK-321956 (Repainting issue when stacking tabs)
  • DSK-321965 (Opera freezes when UI animations are disabled and tab is moved)
  • DSK-321971 (Cannot move tabs in the middle of a stack to another tab to create a second stack)
  • DSK-321990 (Dragging and rearranging stacks can make tabs disappear from UI)
  • DSK-321993 (Can not move rightmost tab stack to the left)
  • DSK-322020 (Dragging tab into stack can produce two expander arrows)
  • Fixed order of tabs dropped when you drop more than one from the window list into and stack or into normal tabs
  • Fixed some crashes

Mail
  • CORE-35166 (Documentedit crash when clearing the undo/redo stack after typing in Hebrew)
  • DSK-317885 (Filter icons: need to clear the alpha before painting into the bitmap)
  • DSK-320674 (Quick reply messes up body's HTML source when replying to an HTML message when you have "prefer HTML formatting" set)
  • DSK-321243 (Mail panel scrollbar doesn't always move when tabbing to out-of-view sections)
  • DSK-321295 (Clicking on collapsed section header at bottom of panel doesn't scroll section into view)
  • DSK-321296 (Clicking inside long section scrolls other sections out of view)
  • DSK-321458 (Gray out 'limit filter to messages in parent' for top-level labels (and rename to 'label'))
  • DSK-321556 (Grey out hide feeds when only feeds added to the panel)
  • DSK-321623 ([Infobar Button Skin.hover] needs image, not color)
  • DSK-321638 (Fix [Yes] in Go to Intranet toolbar)
  • DSK-321945 (Content blocker toolbar should be set to 'wrap')
  • DSK-322029 (Feed selector in mail view tab toolbar doesn't work with feeds only)
  • DSK-322030 ('Label as' list missing in feeds-only installation)
  • DSK-322048 (Problems with keyboard navigation in Mailing list panel section)
  • Added mail label menu shortcut to the 9.2 Compat keyboard shortcuts
  • Fix for broken context menu when using keyboard on accordion section headers
  • Fixed an issue with the mailto dialog missing favicons

Extensions
  • Fix for .oex file icon on Windows
  • Fixed an issue with the translation of "Extensions" in the O-Menu

Windows
  • Numerous small tweaks and fixes to the Windows installer
  • Possible fix for recreation of 'desktop.ini': we are interested to hear if this works for affected users

I am really, really impressed with the latest Opera version.

My god, this thing runs so smooth, is so fully packed with features, and is so easy on the eyes. By far my favorite browser right out of the gate. If only the community was there. Firefox just has too many little add-ons I can't do without. Which is pretty sad. :/

Omikron

Immediate impressions are impressive. Been using for Opera for ages and looks like a nice upgrade. Actually really liking the grouped tabs. :D

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
The actual browser itself provides a good experience. But Opera need to sort out their border-radius implementation. It uses no vendor-prefix but has been broken in specific cases since they first introduced it...and they've done nothing yet to fix the bugs raised against their implementation.

Opera 11 sucks. Why did they increase the minimum distance for mouse gestures? I like Opera because I can open new tabs by barely moving my hand, now I have to consciously remember to drag the mouse a good distance or nothing happens. How do I fix this shit?

Atilac

the Skin: "Ultra Glass Static 2" is the reason I can't use any other browser as my main. I fucking love transparency.

The 11 RC1 is slower than 10, too. Between these two problems and forgetting I needed to save all my bookmarks, tabs, speed dial and ad filter, I'm getting pretty pissed.

Atilac

God's Beard said:
The 11 RC1 is slower than 10, too. Between these two problems and forgetting I needed to save all my bookmarks, tabs, speed dial and ad filter, I'm getting pretty pissed.
not a user of opera unite? 11 should be installed separately from 10

santouras

RC1 kicks butt. I've upgraded my beta install and it works awesome. They fixed up some of the issues I had with tab stacking and I'll definitely be using that feature more now

Drewsky

Never used Opera before, dled this and it seems pretty good. Not sure if I can fully switch from Chrome though. I'll give it a little longer I guess.

Atilac

Drewsky said:
Never used Opera before, dled this and it seems pretty good. Not sure if I can fully switch from Chrome though. I'll give it a little longer I guess.
Try the skin "Ultra Glass Static 2". also the "menu" button has bookmarks if your don't wanna use the panels.

Drewsky

Wow, that looks awesome.

I've been using it for about an hour now and really like it. I can't seem to find how to turn off smooth scrolling though, how am I missing it?

Atilac

Drewsky said:
Wow, that looks awesome.

I've been using it for about an hour now and really like it. I can't seem to find how to turn off smooth scrolling though, how am I missing it?
crt+f12<browsing<untick smooth scrolling

yoopoo

Banned
RC 3 http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/12/15/opera-11-00-release-candidate-3

Changelog:

Desktop/cross-platform
DSK-322230 (Speed dial numbers cropped)
DSK-322060 (Occasional small address field)
DSK-322195 (Crash when clicking undo in some online HTML editors)
Increased padding on Address field badge skin

Tab Stacking
DSK-322240 (Tab stacks look wrong when wrapping to multiple lines)
DSK-322054 (Crash when dragging out stacked page thumbnail with shift-key)

Extensions
DSK-322192 (Strings are cut in Extension installer in some languages)
DSK-322206 (Clicking on notification about Extension's installation doesn't open manager)
DSK-322204 (Wide spaces between some characters in dialogs)

Windows
DSK-322193 (Crash when installing or uninstalling Opera)
DSK-322207 (Windows installer Terms of service title does not update after changing language)
New installer graphics

Mac
Added expand / collapse buttons to the OS X
Fixed positioning of the arrows
Skin fixes and tweaks

Linux/FreeBSD
DSK-322045 (Crash related to fonts)

malsumis

Enco said:
:lol

That's some seriously fast work.
Well, they at least explained how it's possible :)

Hello, my name is Ruarí and I don't have a life, other than testing Opera all day long. Luckily none of my colleagues have lives either, which means we can spend all our time making Opera better than ever.
;)

PS: @opera twitter says that 11 releases tommorow ( http://twitter.com/opera )

malsumis

Aaaaand right now Opera 11 is out. I'm going to my uni and will be back in 12 or so hours :p If anyone with more time wants to make an OT...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
woah that was fast...

I haven't tried this since the alpha...

Probably won't switch from chrome, but I'm happy as a previous Opera fanboy. Now that it has extensions IDK as long as the core extensions are there just another reason not to be using FF IMO.

santouras

God's Beard said:
Opera 11 sucks. Why did they increase the minimum distance for mouse gestures? I like Opera because I can open new tabs by barely moving my hand, now I have to consciously remember to drag the mouse a good distance or nothing happens. How do I fix this shit?
opera:config#UserPrefs|ShowGestureUI

turn off the gesture UI and it appears to react normally

USD

santouras said:
opera:config#UserPrefs|ShowGestureUI

turn off the gesture UI and it appears to react normally
They actually changed the gesture recognition. Even with the UI off, it's a lot more annoying to do gestures, to the point you have to be cautious of your gesture strokes. For example, when doing the reload gesture (Up, Down), if you don't move the mouse below your original start point, the gesture won't register, regardless of how large or small you do the gesture.

xclaw

See, even if you dislike or don't want some new addition they've added you can simply edit the config and voila "problem" fixed. This is why I love Opera and will continue to use it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
xclaw said:
See, even if you dislike or don't want some new addition they've added you can simply edit the config and voila "problem" fixed. This is why I love Opera and will continue to use it.

To be fair a lot of browsers let you tweak things that normal people don't know you can.

DieH@rd

Banned
Just installed O11.

Can someone tell me why i get nothing with Show Feeds button?
ivwef6.jpg

appearance > buttons > mail view > show feeds
I dragged that button left from my address field, and its doing absolutely nothing.

Also some sites wont load. For example http://imgur.com wont load in O11, but it loads perfectly in Chrome or Firefox. Whats up with that?

Enco

DieH@rd said:
Just installed O11.

ivwef6.jpg

I dragged that button left from my address field, and its doing absolutely nothing.

Also some sites wont load. For example http://imgur.com wont load in O11, but it loads perfectly in Chrome or Firefox. Whats up with that?
Loads fine for me. Just takes a few seconds.

xclaw said:
So you use Opera because you can do something with it that you can do in every browser.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
DieH@rd said:
Just installed O11.

That only works from inside the mail panel, as it's a preference telling the panel what to show.

DieH@rd

Banned
DieH@rd said:

After browser restart everthing started working fine.

Also i instaled few extensions, they are great [google rader, whats my ip, calculator, turn of the lights, fastest tube, youtube adsfree].

I'm trying to use the portable version on my work computer but I can't get it to detect my network settings. With Firefox, all I had to do was have it auto detect network settings and it started working fine.

I don't know what my proxy username and password is and I don't think our IT guy will tell me.

I was wondering. Is there an add-on to check yahoo mail? Right now the add-on library is very small, and a "yahoo" search doesn't bring up anything.

So I was wondering if long time Opera users had any tips.

Edit: also, is there a way to make a right-click search open in a new tab without having to use the shift button?

malsumis

Souldriver said:
I was wondering. Is there an add-on to check yahoo mail? Right now the add-on library is very small, and a "yahoo" search doesn't bring up anything.
Yeah, it's called the Opera Mail Client :p No, seriously, just add your account and set it for imap, or if yahoo does not offer imap, set it to not delete messages from server. As an added bonus you get to actually read your e-mail :p

yoopoo said:
^^ Uncheck the "reuse current tab" in the tab settings.

MyWot extension, its not on the Opera site yet. http://www.mywot.com/en/download/opera (don't use Z1-Glass skin with it)
Much appreciated, yoopoo.

malsumis said:
Yeah, it's called the Opera Mail Client :p No, seriously, just add your account and set it for imap, or if yahoo does not offer imap, set it to not delete messages from server. As an added bonus you get to actually read your e-mail :p
Thanks, but I've messed around with it already and I don't like that. It sort of defeats the purpose of an actual webmail account. I'd just like something similar to the Gmail and Yahoo! mail notifiers for FF and Chrome.

Let's hope the extension library grows quickly, cause save for a few missing extensions, I see myself jumping ship from FF indefinitely.

(Someone should make an official thread for the new release btw :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom