• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

Why does OS X like to revert to a default wallpaper after I've changed it to something I've downloaded? It happens when I turn the computer off fully.

Ambitious

Why does OS X like to revert to a default wallpaper after I've changed it to something I've downloaded? It happens when I turn the computer off fully.

I believe it only stores a reference to the custom image instead of copying it, so if you rename or move the file it won't find it anymore and revert to the default wallpaper. (On my phone right now, so I can't verify it)

I believe it only stores a reference to the custom image instead of copying it, so if you rename or move the file it won't find it anymore and revert to the default wallpaper. (On my phone right now, so I can't verify it)

The only time I renamed it was when I downloaded it and saved it.

It's done this before with other downloaded wallpapers, and I wonder what it is. I see things on Mac boards from 2012, but I didn't see anything recent.

kuppy

Are you talking about the desktop wallpaper or just the wallpaper that is displayed on the log in screen when you boot? The latter doesn't get changed for me either, although I once was able to. It's also only on the boot log in screen, later sleep log in screens are with my selected wallpaper.

Ambitious

viticcib9snj.png

armentfeoqu.png

3.iCloud-it-just-works.png

Deku Tree

dougwalk: @viticci @hotdogsladies Wait!What? You didn't save while writing? I'm afraid �� you just flunked compuser101. Then trusted outta yr workflow?

viticci: @dougwalk @hotdogsladies you're right I am a computer illiterate

I think iCloud is the single worst "mass market" cloud product on the market today.... although I love photo stream. It's the best.

I wonder if Marco had someone holding the remote who pressed the buy button eight times by mistake? In any case that kind of thing will get sorted out very quickly.

No computer is flawless for sure, but my Mac's and my iOS devices sure do still "just work" the vast majority of the time. Of course they also have problems, and issues.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
- iCloud sync with iOS: not el capitan
- iTunes purchasing: not el capitan specific.
How do you know it was iOS syncing? OS X has iCloud sync too.

We need more info though. What app did he use? Did it have built-in iCloud saving? Or did he save it in the Documents part of iCloud Drive? And did it just not upload it or did the other machine just not download it? I'm sure the file still exists on the original machine. But he probably relied on it to work that he didn't take the original machine and found it not on the other machine when he needed it.

Either way, I agree. DropBox is just so much more reliable. Don't know about GoogleDrive because when I used it a while ago I found it to not sync as aggressively as DB and switched back because DB has more support. Either way, both work more reliable than iCloud I find. I just hate DropBox's app on iOS and how I can't view different folders of image files separately in the grid view. NOT ALL IMAGE FILES IN DROPBOX ARE PHOTOS YOU HACK FRAUDS! Wait, sorry, this isn't the RLM thread. But my point stands. Let me view individual folders in grid view and optionally flatten the structure at that location. StreamToMe does this right. Shame it is shit at actually being a photo streamer. (Hey, StreamToMe people. Photos are not videos! Why do we view them in a video viewer interface?) Okay this is becoming an iOS app rant.

I do agree that iCloud Photos is great though. Never have a problem with that one part of iCloud. Or the Backup part. That saved my life once. Well not literally, but it was godsend with its automaticness having just run before I made a terrible mistake.

And iTunes isn't technically specific to El Capitan yes. That should probably be in the Mac Hardware and Software thread instead.

The only time I renamed it was when I downloaded it and saved it.

It's done this before with other downloaded wallpapers, and I wonder what it is. I see things on Mac boards from 2012, but I didn't see anything recent.
Walk us through your exact routine for making a downloaded photo a desktop picture. From the point you find it on the web.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I believe this is exactly what I did:

Find picture on safe website
Right click
Save As
Put in a downloads folder
Right click
Make desktop wallpaper
So you put it in a permanent location and it still reset it? How about if you manually set it to that picture via Preferences? Maybe it's bugged.

So you put it in a permanent location and it still reset it? How about if you manually set it to that picture via Preferences? Maybe it's bugged.

It is in a permanent location. I had the same issue with another image that I did the same thing with, and it's in the same folder. I haven't been moving them around because I know not to.

These are the only two non default wallpapers I've used.

I'll try through preferences. Thanks. (I haven't turned off the computer or restarted it in a couple of days so I don't know if it was just a one off with this image or not.)

Ambitious

More Mac App Store Certificate Problems

Oh, so that's why Reeder refused to start yesterday. As mentioned in the first quote, restarting didn't help. Had to redownload it. Thanks, Apple.

I'm sure developers are happy about the truckload of angry "fix your app" emails they undoubtedly received in the last few days. Because that's what it looks like from a user's perspective: The app is broken.
I hope Reeder and all other noteworthy apps leave the MAS as soon as possible.

edit: I was just about to clean up a few old apps I don't need anymore. I'm using an app called TrashMe to find and delete related files (plists, caches), but today it refused to launch. No error message or anything, it just doesn't launch. Guess why? Well, because it's from the fucking MAS, of course.

Apple plans Siri for Mac as tentpole feature for this fall’s OS X 10.12 launch

Instead of integrating Siri as a swipe menu akin to the Mac’s Notification Center or as a full screen view like on the iPhone and even the iPad Pro, Siri for the Mac will live in the Mac’s Menu Bar. Similar to the Spotlight magnifying glass icon for search and notifications icon for Notification Center, a Siri icon in the top right corner of the menu bar will activate the voice control feature.

When a user clicks the Siri button, a dark, transparent Siri interface will appear in the top right corner of the screen, as shown in our mockup by Michael Steeber. This interface will feature colorful sound waves to indicate speech input. The interface design in testing is not finalized and may still change before the summer introduction, according to sources.

Siri on the Mac will have its own pane in System Preferences and users are said to also have the option to choose a keyboard shortcut for activating the service. Like with recent versions of iOS, users will be able to enable Siri at the first startup of OS X 10.12, according to sources. If the Mac running the new OS X version is plugged into power, a “Hey Siri” command will work much like with recent iPhone and iPad models.

http://9to5mac.com/2016/02/24/apple-siri-osx-10-12-2016/

Mockup:

Irminsul

A small area in the top-right corner to make it unobtrusive? How about putting Spotlight there as... oh.

I really hope Spotlight is put back where it belongs.

I don't have any iOS devices, but is it possible to have Siri activated but not always listening when the device is plugged in? I guess so, but it's not mentioned in that article.

A small area in the top-right corner to make it unobtrusive? How about putting Spotlight there as... oh.

I really hope Spotlight is put back where it belongs.

I don't have any iOS devices, but is it possible to have Siri activated but not always listening when the device is plugged in? I guess so, but it's not mentioned in that article.

I don't think there's any need for a Spotlight icon in the menu bar at all. why move the mouse up there when you can cmd+space.
iOS devices have a switch for Hey Siri, so likely the Mac would too.

Ambitious

So are a lot of the OS X features for me, but I think they're right in unifying OS X and iOS features, as they've been pushing for lately.

Certainly. It was long overdue.
I wonder if they will also add Control Center? It was already implemented in an early build of Yosemite.

10_10_blurrycam_1_600.jpg

jts

...hate me...
Not useless to me for sure. I think it was poor that if I was on the Mac I still had to pull my phone out to use Siri for some reason. It is a good thing to make the devices redundant for maximum convenience.

Of course, I expect more from a new OS X version than just that. Hopefully it's not a tentpole feature.

While on the subject of Siri and also Spotlight... why is Spotlight so worthless to search for songs? I can only find some if I search by artist name and then it will present me a random assortment down the search results. Any way to make it work as well as Siri or iOS Spotlight?

Number45

That's the default behaviour, you have to enable the "hey Siri" and calibrate it otherwise you activate it with a double press of the home button.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Apple better not make Siri available only on new machines just because. There's no reason it needs more than a microphone and an internet connection.

Hopefully I can set it to a Fn double-press command. I currently have Voice to Text on that key but never use it. I'd definitely get more use out of Siri.

Also, Hey Siri better actually work. Hey Siri hasn't worked on my iPhone since they made it require you to set it up. Now it doesn't even recognize my voice even if I speak exactly the same way.

Also let us change the command from Hey Siri to something else. Like "Hello Computer".

This could be a game-changer to how I use my Mac. If they build on top of the Deep Search Integration included in .11 and iOS 9, which I'm sure they will, it could be incredibly powerful.

Anyways, I hope there are some other cool features coming in OS X 10.12.

Ninja Dom

Apple better not make Siri available only on new machines just because. There's no reason it needs more than a microphone and an internet connection.

Hopefully I can set it to a Fn double-press command. I currently have Voice to Text on that key but never use it. I'd definitely get more use out of Siri.

Also, Hey Siri better actually work. Hey Siri hasn't worked on my iPhone since they made it require you to set it up. Now it doesn't even recognize my voice even if I speak exactly the same way.

Also let us change the command from Hey Siri to something else. Like "Hello Computer".

Siri currently runs on Apple Watch (without speech), iPad 4th Gen & iPhone 5. So I can't see why you would need newer hardware in order to run it. I hope that Apple don't deliberately gimp us with older hardware.

Ambitious

img_24129sskk.jpg

He's the CEO of IdeasOnCanvas, the developers of MindNode. Not sure whether he's referring to the iOS App Store or the Mac App Store, but as I'm not aware of any download issues with the former, I'm gonna assume he's talking about the latter.

Does anyone know why I wouldn't be able to connect to a certain website? Every time I try to connect to www.scene.ca (it's a movie theatre's promotions website), I get an error, and it's been that way for months.

I contacted them and they told me it's on my end. But I'm using approved and updated browsers.

I don't get it.

Here's the error:

Secure Connection Failed

The connection to www.scene.ca was interrupted while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Fuchsdh

Does anyone know why I wouldn't be able to connect to a certain website? Every time I try to connect to www.scene.ca (it's a movie theatre's promotions website), I get an error, and it's been that way for months.

I contacted them and they told me it's on my end. But I'm using approved and updated browsers.

I don't get it.

Here's the error:

Secure Connection Failed

The connection to www.scene.ca was interrupted while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Weird, works for me fine. Have you completely reset your Safari settings and trashed all your prefs and caches? Does your computer still do it when on another ISP/network?

Weird, works for me fine. Have you completely reset your Safari settings and trashed all your prefs and caches? Does your computer still do it when on another ISP/network?

I don't use Safari, but I've cleared my cache, yes.

I can't try another network.

EDIT: Safari can't connect to the website because it can't establish a secure connection.

I don't have sites blocked on Avast...

mrkgoo

I don't use Safari, but I've cleared my cache, yes.

I can't try another network.

EDIT: Safari can't connect to the website because it can't establish a secure connection.

I don't have sites blocked on Avast...

It's a long shot because it's so simple, but have you checked your clock and date? If these are wrong it messes with secure connections.

It's a long shot because it's so simple, but have you checked your clock and date? If these are wrong it messes with secure connections.

Just checked and it's still set to automatically detect date and time. I believed it was.

Thanks for the suggestion

Note that this is the only site I have an issue with.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really hate the new "rootless" feature in El Capitan, known as "System Integrity Protection". It's just causing more problems than it's preventing. Basically it makes it so you literally cannot delete certain files marked as "restricted" even if you trash them or sudo rm them or try to change their permissions or owner as sudo is programmed to not do anything on any file marked as "restricted". And the worst part is while you can move or copy a restricted file into the trash, once it's there it can't be removed so your trash is permanently full and throws up errors when you try to empty it.

In order to delete these files you must reboot into Recovery mode and turn off the feature, delete the file, then turn it on again.

I've encountered it a few times so far. Once because CrashPlan marks its binary as restricted so when the app updates and the old app is moved by my CCC backup it ends up undeletable when it comes time to prune the archives. This happened a few times. Then most recently when my QuickLook cache got fucked up and I manually cleared some caches, including some restricted files. Note that restricted files look exactly the same as other OS owned files (Red NO sign on the icon) that can be deleted with sudo without problems. It ended up being that a single file in the entire cache was restricted. So now it sits in my trash folder waiting.

Waiting why? Well if you'd been following my dilemma in the Hardware/Software thread, my keyboard is fucked up and it just happens that the T key is stuck. When I'm booted up I just unload the top case kext, but until the OS loads, the keyboard is active which means half the time rebooting causes it to go into Target Disk mode. So I end up rebooting over and over trying to bypass this problem. It works fine for rebooting into the OS, but if I try to go into Recovery mode, either via Command+R or Option, sometimes the T is also pressed which causes the combo to be wrong and I just end up booted back in. It took me an hour just to get into the Recovery partition last night just to reinstall the OS after another file got broken and caused hangs. So obviously I don't feel like fucking around trying to get into Recovery again. And I can't afford to have the keyboard replaced because of Apple's insistence on making it so I can't just replace the keyboard alone and would therefore require an entire top case (The entire aluminum casing) replacement. Probably will be a few hundred bucks for a computer I spent $2600 on.

So yeah, Rootless sucks. I understand why it exists, but it sucks. What's gonna happen when they decide to remove the ability to even temporarily disable it? Full trash can for life!

Also, I don't understand why I can restore my disk to its former glory through a reinstall and migrate or install in place, but it fucks up my LaunchPad cache so it reverts to a really fucking old version of the layout and makes me have to rearrange my icons again. Why does it do this? Why is it such an old version? And where is it storing this old version so I can go there and nuke it to hell so it never restores that version again?

/rant

Is anyone who doesn't normally look at the other Mac Community thread able to perhaps help me with a virus issue? If so, it'd be appreciated.

I should have posted it here, I guess.

Top Bottom