• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, AppCleaner is good. I don't need it though since I have Hazel and it's part of its package, but if you don't and want a good way to remove apps and all their stuff, AppCleaner is the way to go.

Number45

I use, uuuh, AppCleaner :lol

It's pretty good, and free!
Thanks. I thought that was the one that I had previously but the search took me to an installer that wasn't actually for App Cleaner - seemed like some kind of launcher so I stopped there and thought it best to check.

What are the must have extensions for Safari?

I heard uBlock isn't supported anymore.

I can't find The Great Suspender, Spreeder, Magic Actions for Youtube, Data Saver from Google

What are the must have extensions for Safari?
Depends on your use?

My favourites: Franker, Translate, QuickNuke, NavUpKey, Stylish, View Background Image, Quidco, Pinbar.

https://extensions.apple.com

I heard uBlock isn't supported anymore.
Where did you read this? It's still downloadable here.
https://www.ublock.org

I can't find The Great Suspender, Spreeder, Magic Actions for Youtube, Data Saver from Google
The Great Suspender - Safari does this itself as standard AFAIK since Mavericks
Spreeder - try http://www.squirt.io
Magic Actions for Youtube - try Turn of the Lights https://extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.stefanvd.turnoffthelights-PRR97757HF
Data Saver from Google - sadly no alternative

Number45

Er, how on earth do I copy a link from a Google search on Safari? If I highlight the address bar it gives me what I searched for. Example:

Code:
understanding the exposure triangle - Google Search

Share doesn't have a copy link option like iOS does. Sure I've been able to just click in the address bar and CMD+C in the past. :/

kuppy

Well, it depends were you paste the link, if it's a more simplified, not made by Apple, editor the actual link gets pasted.
Otherwise you can use Paste and Match Style, which you can access over Edit. I have it set as a Keyboard shortcut of Option+Cmd+V, which you can set under System Preferences, Keyboard, Shortcuts, App Shortcuts.

Another option is to go to the Safari Preferences, Advanced, Show full website address.

Number45

Well, it depends were you paste the link, if it's a more simplified, not made by Apple, editor the actual link gets pasted.
Otherwise you can use Paste and Match Style, which you can access over Edit. I have it set as a Keyboard shortcut of Option+Cmd+V, which you can set under System Preferences, Keyboard, Shortcuts, App Shortcuts.

Another option is to go to the Safari Preferences, Advanced, Show full website address.
Thanks.

Ambitious

Haven't done this in a while.

Here's Lil' Browser, a shitty browser for your menu bar.

lilt8ry8.png

Look at all these amazing features.

screen800x500puq26.jpeg

screen800x500-18jpxa.jpeg

screen800x500-4drqc5.jpeg

screen800x500-3gkp2j.jpeg

screen800x500-2g4qti.jpeg

You even have quick access to NeoGAF, too!

Here's Anonymous Browser Pro, a shitty browser with a preconfigured proxy. That's literally all it offers. 14 bucks.

anont9r0s.png

Here's Monochrome Browser, a shitty browser with a fixed window-size. Yup. 7 bucks.

monochrometpr05.png

Here's a shitty Browser called Browser. The session data of each window is sandboxed, so you can sign in to the same site with several accounts at once. You just need to input all your account credentials directly in Browser.

Oh, by the way: "Please Note: The current version of this app does not encrypt your username and password."

Don't forget to enter your account credentials. Like those of "popular finance websites".

browserikqdj.png

Here's a shitty Browser called Browse. It's faster than any other browser you've ever used. There's an incredible amount of features, like tabs, bookmarks and even history.

browsertr0h.png

Here's Lightning Web Browser, a shitty browser. Dunno what it does. Laughter is preventing me from reading further than the first six words.

lightningzlrl0.png

Here's a browser called Internet Browser. This is the simplest browser for your computer. Do you like speed? Download now. Please check, other cool apps of us.

ibrowserglooh.png

Here's Mono, a shitty browser for your menu bar. It supports stuff like "Go Back", "Go Forward" and even "Reload".

monoerqsp.png

Here's Air Browser, which totally sounds like you could browse and interact with nearby AirPlay devices with it. But it's actually a shitty browser for your menu bar.

airbrowser9yox3.png

Here's MultiBrowser1, a shitty browser which allows you to view several websites.. wait for it... here it comes... all at once!

multibrowserkppjy.png

Here's FastBack, the browser that doesn't reload when you go "back. It's a shitty browser that doesn't reload when you go back. That's its feature.

fastbackjpq8u.png

Gotta love the MAS.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So after finally sitting down and disabling System Integrity Protection just to delete some locked cache files in the trash, I decided to finally do something else I'd been planning on doing that Apple inexplicably doesn't want me to do....

Favicons are BACK, baby!

For now.

See how much more convenient those are, Apple?

But it seems to be buggy. They disappear from time to time. So I don't know if I'll keep it around if it causes problems. But damn they're so useful. So here's hoping.

If you want to try it out yourself it's pretty simple, but I know some steps might scare most people, but here's a link with information if anyone wants it.

Edit: Well it seems to cause ugly redundancy with pinned tabs where it overlays the favicon on top of the fancy pinned tab icon and looks like shit. I might not even bother keeping this around because of my hatred for ugly UI. Conflicted!

Any idea why I wouldn't be able to even load videos on TSN.ca and CTV.ca (owned by the same company)? Their video player won't even load, on any browser.

I can watch videos on other sites no issue. But I also can't connect to Scene.ca.

Bought this one:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/171411846641

Man, my Macbook is from 2010. Still going pretty great after 6 years. I want to upgrade when I can afford it, these babies are built like tanks and the OS still feels fast, despite some hiccups.

Actually, the battery is garbage now, which is expected. I get like 1 1/2 hours out of it max. I think Ill survive with it wired until I can afford an upgrade.

Vashetti

Banned
10.11.4 stable is releasing shortly

Edit: Out now

- Adds the ability to passcode-protect notes containing personal data in Notes
- Adds the ability to sort notes alphabetically, by date created, or date modified in Notes
- Adds the ability to import Evernote files into Notes
- Adds support for sharing Live Photos between iOS and OS X via AirDrop and Messages
- Addresses an issue that may cause RAW images to open slowly in Photos
- Adds the ability for iBooks to store PDFs in iCloud, making them available across all your devices
- Fixes an issue that prevented loading Twitter t.co links in Safari
- Prevents JavaScript dialogs from blocking access to other webpages in Safari
- Fixes an issue that prevented the VIPs mailbox from working with Gmail accounts
- Fixes an issue that caused USB audio devices to disconnect
- Improves the compatibility and reliability of Apple USB-C Multipart Adapters

Ambitious

Ooh, time for another fun round of "Guess how the newest Xcode update will fail to download".

edit: "Xcode failed to download. Use the Purchases page to try again."
This is fucking incredible.

edit 2: Some time after restarting the download, I received an "Updates are ready to install" notification. I clicked on it to open the MAS, and the download wasn't even halfway finished. Thanks, MAS.

Ok so I'm on the beta build and have uninstalled flash from my computer.

Why the hell do I still get spinning balls every other time I close out of a youtube page or do anything youtube?

When I was using the general release the computer would just freeze until i force restarted it so at least its not doing that.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
- Adds the ability for iBooks to store PDFs in iCloud, making them available across all your devices

Just updated and along with pdfs this change also applies to all non-iBooks Store epubs you have in your library. Nice.

Argh. The charger I ordered a few posts above

It's unbranded and coming from hong kong. Except the ad says genuine and has the apple logo. Im going to be pretty annoyed if its not legit

EmiPrime

Argh. The charger I ordered a few posts above

It's unbranded and coming from hong kong. Except the ad says genuine and has the apple logo. Im going to be pretty annoyed if its not legit

If the wire starts fraying and falling apart after a few months, it's genuine.

Joking. Sorta.

Memory leaks in Safari 9.1

Ok this has been a problem, on two iMacs, for some time now.
Chrome is actually just as bad, so I can't even say it is specific to Safari. Safari used to be more resistant to memory use over time but now its awful.

Here is what happens. After reboot everything is good. I can "re-open last windows" and get a bunch of tabs open. Checking Activity Monitor, I get maybe 12-16 safari processes each handling a few tabs and memory use by each rises to maybe 100mb.

then within several hours *even if I don't use them* memory use by many of these rises to 400 to 500mb. By the next day it is 800mb+ on several and I'm starting to get spinning beach ball and have to constantly quit tabs or quit safari processes (which reloads them).

No safari extensions are enabled. No Java, not even flash.

Basically I sit and watch and the Memory column of the activity monitor slowly climbs

With 16gb of physical memory what tends to happen is a lot of paging out starts to happen and then the beachball makes its appearance because no matter what tab I switch to, the OS has to page in all this useless memory.

Anyone else have this?

Here is memory use just two hours after rebooting..

PCti2XK.png

at this point the browser is already starting to stall out with micro-hangs and disk noise as it starts to juggle things around.

I don't have an ad blocker installed however I don't believe the browser should have such bad memory leaks from background javascript. It also doesn't seem to be much related to the sites visited but that is hard to tell because Process Name doesn't display all the URLs just the first one (often of several).

I don't have any mac "cleaners" installed as far as I know, no ad malware, no other bad Safari behaviour, no weird processes running. And it happens on both iMacs I have access to.

Ambitious

Just updated and along with pdfs this change also applies to all non-iBooks Store epubs you have in your library. Nice.

Too late, don't care anymore. I'm using Dropbox to sync my PDFs. Because it just works.

It's not legit. If it was it'd have the normal Apple spiel on it.

Er. What can I do? This is b.s

The buyer says it comes from California, and advertises the apple logo

It's coming from Hong Kong ..

Im really fed up with how I cant seem to buy the parts myself, and if i can, the price is like $100. For a damn wire

I only really need the wire that connects to the MAC

The actual charger I have is fine. But the wire that connects to the mac is totally chewed away and has the wires exposed and ripped out

Is it safe to mix the charger with the wire?

Number45

Yeah, deals on genuine Apple kit aside from a little off here or there is basically non-existant so anything super cheap you can immediately be suspicious of. I looked at picking up a second magsafe as a spare for my MBA but at £65 a pop I'll wait until it's basically unusable (and treat it with kid gloves in the meantime).

If it's advertised as legit and clearly not then file a complaint and get your money back. The feedback on that page while overwhelming positive... the negatives are almost all "it's not genuine".

EDIT: Reading the description it does clearly state that it's got no extension cable or original box, so if the actual charge unit itself is genuine Apple then you've got what is advertised.

One Apple 45W or 60W or 85W AC adapter Magsafe (No extension cord & original box )
One plug (According to your country, we will ship the correct plug)

Ambitious

Ooh, time for another fun round of "Guess how the newest Xcode update will fail to download".

edit: "Xcode failed to download. Use the Purchases page to try again."
This is fucking incredible.

edit 2: Some time after restarting the download, I received an "Updates are ready to install" notification. I clicked on it to open the MAS, and the download wasn't even halfway finished. Thanks, MAS.

Eh, could have been worse, I guess.

Yeah, deals on genuine Apple kit aside from a little off here or there is basically non-existant so anything super cheap you can immediately be suspicious of. I looked at picking up a second magsafe as a spare for my MBA but at £65 a pop I'll wait until it's basically unusable (and treat it with kid gloves in the meantime).

If it's advertised as legit and clearly not then file a complaint and get your money back. The feedback on that page while overwhelming positive... the negatives are almost all "it's not genuine".

EDIT: Reading the description it does clearly state that it's got no extension cable or original box, so if the actual charge unit itself is genuine Apple then you've got what is advertised.

OK, so Im not sure what's going on. The ebay pics show an apple logo...but this is coming from Hong Kong. That's a red flag.

Oh god, I should have looked at the negative feedback:

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAP...=negative&interval=365&_trkparms=negative_365

The guy seems to be pretty defensive with some posters too. I dont want to have to send this all the way back, but it seems my only other option is buying the thing from apple for $100

I dont understand how he is able to sell this while clearly lying about where the item is coming from.

I am really scared to use this because I imagine it will break easy. A poster earlier showed the innards of the genuine and fake charger, and the fake one is really cheap and poor.

Which also means I am being way overcharged.

Sorry if this is off topic, I know this is about the OS

Ok, I got an AirDrop problem, me and my sister are trying to swap holiday/family photos on our Mac's but neither of us are appearing in the other's AirDrop window in Finder. When I turn on Bluetooth on my iPhone it appears but only on my Mac.

Any suggestions?

I always like concepts of upcoming software. Some nice ideas we'll never get.

macOS: It’s time to take the next step.

When these three new developments materialize– UIKit, a new Filesystem, and a new model for people– there will be an explosion in next-generation apps across the ecosystem. This ecosystem, now drawn tightly together, will be a collection of four purpose-built operating system variants built on one common, advanced platform, one best described as Apple OS.

https://medium.com/@ajambrosino/macos-it-s-time-to-take-the-next-step-ee7871ccd3c7#.ls0g85n91

Ambitious

I always like concepts of upcoming software. Some nice ideas we'll never get.

macOS: It’s time to take the next step.

https://medium.com/@ajambrosino/macos-it-s-time-to-take-the-next-step-ee7871ccd3c7#.ls0g85n91

Saw this earlier today. It's awful. The OS X UI really doesn't need to be dumbed down any further. Like what's with that Finder concept? There's no file hierarchy at all, and that's supposed to be a good thing? Mockup designers sure love to keep claiming this nonsense.

All of a sudden my computer is having issues syncing my iMessage conversations in order. It's never had issues. When I would wake it up from sleep it would take a while to bring everything over but it was all in the right place. Now it's a total crapshoot

Ninja Dom

Ok, I got an AirDrop problem, me and my sister are trying to swap holiday/family photos on our Mac's but neither of us are appearing in the other's AirDrop window in Finder. When I turn on Bluetooth on my iPhone it appears but only on my Mac.

Any suggestions?

Have you been able to use AirDrop between the two Macs before?

mrkgoo

Any suggestions?

Turn everything on and off again, Bluetooth, restart devices etc.

My wife also had issues with airdrop. After some updates the problems were lessened. But makes sure everything is up to date etc.

If you have to you could try resetting Bluetooth preferences but that only worked temporarily. It wasn't until recent updates where everything seemed to smooth over.

Ambitious

Why are pictures taken with Photo Booth not saved to Photos.app? There's already a Selfies album, so why not put them there?

The only explanation I can think of is that there might be no API to display pictures from a specific album yet, which would prevent them from displaying the thumbnails of the taken pictures in Photo Booth as they do currently.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Why are pictures taken with Photo Booth not saved to Photos.app? There's already a Selfies album, so why not put them there?

The only explanation I can think of is that there might be no API to display pictures from a specific album yet, which would prevent them from displaying the thumbnails of the taken pictures in Photo Booth as they do currently.
Do people use Photo Booth anymore? It'll probably be sent to the same farm as Front Row eventually.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, probably.
If they ever revamp Photos and add those missing features, maybe they could just roll "Selfie" features into Photos.

I would think though most people take selfies with their superior iPhone cameras. Even the front facing camera is better than the majority of iSight cameras in the Macs. Though the camera in my 15" top of the line MacBook Pro is pretty comparable to the one in my iPhone 5C. But I'm pretty sure the ones in the Airs and rMacBook are a bit worse. At least the rMB one.

If they ever revamp Photos and add those missing features, maybe they could just roll "Selfie" features into Photos.

I would think though most people take selfies with their superior iPhone cameras. Even the front facing camera is better than the majority of iSight cameras in the Macs. Though the camera in my 15" top of the line MacBook Pro is pretty comparable to the one in my iPhone 5C. But I'm pretty sure the ones in the Airs and rMacBook are a bit worse. At least the rMB one.

They should update it on the Macs. Might as well, and there are some interesting things you could do with it. I could see it happening with the upcoming refreshes.

I just want them to fix selfies, all three of my devices tag them differently. I have iCloud Photo Library turned on, but on my phone and iPad and Mac different photos show up in the selfies folder on each one.

I found out it's because if you take a photo in the Messages app it doesn't save any metadata like if you did it with the camera app (gps, camera location) but somehow my Mac picks up on which camera was used anyway where my iPhone doesnt

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They should update it on the Macs. Might as well, and there are some interesting things you could do with it. I could see it happening with the upcoming refreshes.
Let's look at it this way. They're not going to put a camera bump on the MacBooks or iMac. So they have to use what fits in the display.

For those that moved from one Mac to another and set up the second Mac as new instead of restoring from a Time Machine backup, how long would you say it took you to get your system settings back to exactly how you liked them?

For those that moved from one Mac to another and set up the second Mac as new instead of restoring from a Time Machine backup, how long would you say it took you to get your system settings back to exactly how you liked them?
How long is a piece of string?

Really depends how many apps and settings you need to set up.

Top Bottom