• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of control pit bulls attack man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musician

The dogs don't have to be put down.

They do. It's no fault of the dogs, they're just dogs after all, but they can't be trusted around people any more. Maybe you could convince me if you could arrange the best of the best dog trainer to take care of them and that they won't ever be allowed to be off leash around people again... but still...

Tagyhag

Its their popularity that is the problem. The stats look like that because of the sheer number of them out there. Those stats are not like that solely because of the breed.

By your logic, shouldnt German Shepherds and Labrador/golden retrievers have a higher killcount than pitbulls?

Damaniel

Banned
I'd be perfectly pleased if we banned pit bulls entirely. When you have a single breed responsible for half of dog bites and attacks, that's pretty good evidence that the breed is inherently dangerous.

And the dogs in questions need to be euthanized - full stop. They've been demonstrated to be vicious (pit bulls? vicious? Big surprise...); who knows when they'll attack next? Not if - when.

article got updated

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw

Francesco Bove said he was heading into Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church on Belmont Avenue and 187th Street when the dogs got off their leash and began mauling him -- an attack so violent the priest and neighbors came outside to help.

“The Father read him his last rites because he looked like he was going to die,” Bove’s son, Anthony, told the Daily News Saturday. “But the Father said he had to promise to fight through it.”

Police said the dog's owner, Cynthia Oliver, ordered the dogs to attack, but Francesco Bove said that wasn't true.

"Those dogs, they were trained to fight," Bove told the Daily News, noting he feels "pretty bad."

Bove underwent five hours of surgery Friday night after he had “two big chunks missing” from both his arms and “his ear was torn to pieces,” his son said. He also sustained multiple lacerations to his arms, legs and chest.

Bove is expected to stay in the hospital for at least a week to undergo another surgery to move a nerve from his leg into his arm, his son said.

Doctors are still working to figure out the extent of the nerve damage, which could impact “not only his way of life but his passion” – making art, Anthony Bove said.

Still, Francesco Bove has stayed positive and joked to his son that at least he hadn’t been attacked by a lion.

“He’s really, really tough,” Anthony Bove said.

But Francesco Bove, who himself owns a "lovely" pit bull named Gina, said he is worried about the fate of the dogs, who are currently in the care of Animal Control.

"I'm so sorry that they're going to put them down," Bove sai

Abounder

Banned
Pitbulls need to be in the same class as goddamn leopards. They are simply too dangerous, even in the hands of a good owner (which this perp obviously isn't)

Musician

Sorry, but they do. The asshole owner trained them to be attack dogs and attack dogs they are. You can't take out that behavior from a DOG once it's been ingrained in their minds.

No need to single out pitbulls. Almost any dog can be made into a killing machine.

I'd be perfectly pleased if we banned pit bulls entirely. When you have a single breed responsible for half of dog bites and attacks, that's pretty good evidence that the breed is inherently dangerous.

Well they're not inherently dangerous, that is a fact.

If you want to ban them based on bite statistics that's a discussion. Don't go spreading lies, though.

Kyuur

I can't believe a topic about a woman literally ordering her pit bulls to attack someone still manages to blame it on the dog.

Edit: Disregard based on update.

Sanjuro

The primary article as of now.

http://nydn.us/1UO4QKe

A 62-year-old man was nearly killed in a vicious attack by two pit bulls as neighbors frantically tried to intervene in the Bronx Friday morning, police said.

Francesco Bove said he was heading into Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church on Belmont Avenue and 187th Street when the dogs got off their leash and began mauling him -- an attack so violent the priest and neighbors came outside to help.

“The Father read him his last rites because he looked like he was going to die,” Bove’s son, Anthony, told the Daily News Saturday. “But the Father said he had to promise to fight through it.”

Police said the dog's owner, Cynthia Oliver, ordered the dogs to attack, but Francesco Bove said that wasn't true.

"Those dogs, they were trained to fight," Bove told the Daily News, noting he feels "pretty bad."

Bove, an artist who lives in Coney Island, did not know or interact with Oliver, who lives next to the church. He was in the area to look into restoring the marble at the church.

Graphic video taken from a nearby apartment shows the dogs relentlessly lunge at Bove as he twists on the ground. A good Samaritan stood over Bove to protect him as the dogs kept up their assault, even dragging him to the curb with their teeth.

“It was very clear from my father that while he was on the floor that the dogs wanted his blood, they wanted it,” Anthony Bove said. “They were licking the blood where it was sprayed on the street.”

Several neighbors soon jumped in, armed with hoses, chains and bats, to pull the dogs off. While they whipped the dogs away and blasted them with water, the pit bulls went after another good Samaritan, 46-year-old Emilio Ortiz, police said.

As the action moved off-camera, blood spread out from Bove before he got up and walked away.

“He wasn’t really all there when he got out of that pool of blood,” Anthony Bove, 35, said.

Francesco Bove and Ortiz were transported to Saint Barnabas Hospital in stable condition.

Bove underwent five hours of surgery Friday night after he had “two big chunks missing” from both his arms and “his ear was torn to pieces,” his son said. He also sustained multiple lacerations to his arms, legs and chest.

Bove is expected to stay in the hospital for at least a week to undergo another surgery to move a nerve from his leg into his arm, his son said.

Doctors are still working to figure out the extent of the nerve damage, which could impact “not only his way of life but his passion” – making art, Anthony Bove said.

Still, Francesco Bove has stayed positive and joked to his son that at least he hadn’t been attacked by a lion.

“He’s really, really tough,” Anthony Bove said.

But Francesco Bove, who himself owns a "lovely" pit bull named Gina, said he is worried about the fate of the dogs, who are currently in the care of Animal Control.

"I'm so sorry that they're going to put them down," Bove said.

Oliver, their owner, was arrested on eight counts of assault and two counts of reckless endangerment. Her bail was set at $35,000 Saturday.

By your logic, shouldnt German Shepherds and Labrador/golden retrievers have a higher killcount than pitbulls?
Like the beard pointed out its the popularity with shitty dog owners who want them. I'd think that they are the most popular bully breed out there these days.
I take back what I said about it just being their sheer number.

Sorry, but they do. The asshole owner trained them to be attack dogs and attack dogs they are. You can't take out that behavior from a Pit once it's been ingrained in their minds.

Why not? Maybe someone's willing to take them. They should be evaluated then it should be decided what to do with them.

They don't? You can't release them as if they were wild animals, they can't be trusted as pets, and it's not like there are dog prisons to send them to. What is your solution?

Evaluation then trying to find a new home if viable.

And the dogs in questions need to be euthanized - full stop. They've been demonstrated to be vicious (pit bulls? vicious? Big surprise...); who knows when they'll attack next? Not if - when.

I want Pit Bulls to be banned just to see people like you react once jerkoffs start training German Shepherds and Cane Corsos or some other dog to be the generic Dog For Assholes.

Why not? Maybe someone's willing to take them. They should be evaluated then it should be decided what to do with them.

They're dogs, you're not going to sit them down with a social worker and give them a bunch of Haldol to even them out or something lol.

Sanjuro

The evaluation is the dogs attempted to kill someone and left significant injuries. The dogs will and should be destroyed. That's just the way it is.

They're dogs, you're not going to sit them down with a social worker and give them a bunch of Haldol to even them out or something lol.

Well you speak from ignorance because you can definitely give haldol to a dog, and you can better understand the specific situation with a ethologist. Maybe the conclusion will be that they have to be put down, but I don't think we're at that point yet.

The evaluation is the dogs attempted to kill someone and left significant injuries. The dogs will and should be destroyed. That's just the way it is.

I don't think "that's just the way it is" is a good reason to do anything.

Well you speak from ignorance because you can definitely give haldol to a dog, and you can better understand the specific situation with a ethologist. Maybe the conclusion will be that they have to be put down, but I don't think we're at that point yet.

It's typically used to calm them down enough so they can be anesthetized and afaik hasn't been proven to be especially effective in treating aggression.

These dogs would have killed a human being if not for intervention. What else is there to understand? What kind of rehabilitation, especially for dogs of this size and natural aggression, could possibly be done?

How much farther past being willing to kill a human should we let a dogs behavior go? Christ.

Fusebox

Banned
She didn't. Read above.

The police said she did, maybe Francesco is confused due to the trauma.

These dogs would have killed a human being if not for intervention. What else is there to understand? What kind of rehabilitation, especially for dogs of this size and natural aggression, could possibly be done?

How much farther past being willing to kill a human should we let a dogs behavior go? Christ.

Hey, I'm sure there's a neonazi in his compound somewhere right know who would LOVE to have these dogs.

Ivan 3414

tumblr_mvfmbmsrzL1s080geo1_400.gif

Jesus, talk about tongue punching the pussy...

Sanjuro

I don't think "that's just the way it is" is a good reason to do anything.

I don't see much on your end other than placing violent animals back into society. They are pets, and treated as such. There is an overabundance of pets who haven't done anything sitting in kill shelters.

Dart

"It was very clear from my father that while he was on the floor that the dogs wanted his blood, they wanted it,” Anthony Bove said. “They were licking the blood where it was sprayed on the street.”

What the hell...

It's typically used to calm them down enough so they can be anesthetized and afaik hasn't been proven to be especially effective in treating aggression.

There are a lot of other medications to calm dogs down. I said that one because that was the one the poster mentioned as a joke, but you can actually give them to dogs.

Dogs can be trained to attack in different situations (like guard dogs, police dogs), doesn't mean that they have to be put down.

I don't see much on your end other than placing violent animals back into society. They are pets, and treated as such. There is an overabundance of pets who haven't done anything sitting in kill shelters.

I'm not talking about placing them "back into society", I'm talking about proper scientific evaluation by a professional, then studying the options available and then deciding the best course of action, which can mean putting them down.

There are a lot of other medications to calm dogs down. I said that one because that was the one the poster mentioned as a joke, but you can actually give them to dogs.

Dogs can be trained to attack in different situations (like guard dogs, police dogs), doesn't mean that they have to be put down.

I'm not talking about placing them "back into society", I'm talking about proper scientific evaluation by a professional, then studying the options available and then deciding the best course of action, which can mean putting them down.

If that were even possible, it sounds expensive and time consuming, it wouldn't happen.

Sanjuro

Welp.

There is no doggy court or professionals which will do this deed for free. I mean, humans aren't even getting proper scientific evaluations.

Can't believe that guy standing there with his kid. If one of those pitbulls ran up they would have been head height. I shudder to think of what could have happened.

No need to single out pitbulls. Almost any dog can be made into a killing machine.
My old dog looked like this
KILL jilly, kill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU2F_pTkuPk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ace9zp-84
So fierce, such feriocious growls

Guy with baseball pat pisses his pants and priest comes to say the last rights when these dogs have a shitty owner that trains them to attack:D

edit, damnit now I'm looking at more cavalier videos and I miss my doggy :( rip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFikTw2cLR4
She used to make these same noises when playing.

Wolfe

Unfortunately I feel this post will go largely overlooked as it goes against most peoples opinions on the issue.

Glad to hear the victim is being positive about the whole thing, really awful experience to have to live through.

Boss Mog

I don't care what anybody says pit bulls just don't make good pets and the other big issue is that the type of individual that specifically wants a pit bull is often the type of individual that should never be allowed to have one.

Boss★Moogle;178528064 said:
I don't care what anybody says pit bulls just don't make good pets and the other big issue is that the type of individual that really wants a pit bull is exactly the type of individual that should never be allowed to have one.
They make wonderful pets.

Fitts

My old dog looked like this
KILL jilly, kill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU2F_pTkuPk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ace9zp-84
So fierce, such feriocious growls

Guy with baseball pat pisses his pants and priest comes to say the last rights when these dogs have a shitty owner that trains them to attack:D

You joke, but while on site at a job today a client's dog that looked exactly like that walked right up to me and started growling. The owner instructed me not to acknowledge her as she could bite.

Said she was a rescue dog that has a problem with men. Was probably abused... poor thing. At any rate, she absolutely adored her (female) owner and I don't hold any ill will toward the dog. I'm glad she got the chance to find a loving home after coming from a situation that clearly negatively affected her.

Edit: my partner has a pit mix. Amazingly loving dog -- as I've known all pits to be save for two that both had terrible and neglectful owners. Go figure.

If that were even possible, it sounds expensive and time consuming, it wouldn't happen.

Welp.

There is no doggy court or professionals which will do this deed for free. I mean, humans aren't even getting proper scientific evaluations.

That is possible and that's what is done in a lot of places. In my country, Portugal, which is a lot poorer than the US the municipal veterinarian has the power to determine what to do with the animal. Animals that have shown aggressive behavior (which is clearly defined in our law) to the extent as these two have can be put down at the discretion of the veterinarian, without compensation to the owner. But putting the dogs down isn't the only option.

HarlequinDaze

Neo Member
Guns never killed anyone, PEOPLE do, that's why it's so reasonable to let people own guns. I need a ferocious weapon to protect my family! Obviously because deadly weapons are acceptable things to own.
Pit bulls are bread to be vicious and violent, just because "some aren't" doesn't make them safe. The breed was literally bread for violence. People are stupid and cruel, don't let them have weapons

Rur0ni

from the actual CDC report that people tend to link through the filter of Dogsbite.org, a site with a well-known strong bias against the breed:

*post of links and quotes*
Nice post. Dogs can be dangerous in general, especially larger powerful dogs. Socialization, training, and good breeding are necessary. It's telling what factors come into play that will make a dog more likely to bite. I won't condemn an entire breed.

Mr Swine

Banned
I've met people with nice pit bulls and those that try to jump at me while growling at me. Last time was at a grocery store, was going to my bicycle to unlock it and a pit bull sat there beside it with a harness and a muzzle watching me. As soon as I moved my bike it tried to attack me and started to bark violently. Luckily it had a harness and a muzzle otherwise it would have killed me :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom