• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of control pit bulls attack man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryne

I'm not much of a dog fan, and I absolutely hate pit bulls. Wouldn't mind if they were banned at all.

Horrible. Why is it always an innocent bystander who is attacked? If only pit bulls only attacked their owners then at least we wouldn't have to feel bad for them. They knew what they signed up for.

Although maybe that's part of the problem. Maybe they don't. I've heard too many times from various dog lovers that pit bulls aren't dangerous.

But you never hear stories of cocker spaniels eating people's faces.

23qwerty

Horrible. Why is it always an innocent bystander who is attacked? If only pit bulls only attacked their owners then at least we wouldn't have to feel bad for them. They knew what they signed up for.

Although maybe that's part of the problem. Maybe they don't. I've heard too many times from various dog lovers that pit bulls aren't dangerous.

People always be like oh but chihuahuas attack more people than pitbulls

... but fail to mention that people don't die from these attacks? Pitbulls kill so many people like god.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Awful pit bull owners. Like, wtf?!
I really hope Gaf doesn't go out and blame the breed. Brought up right, these dogs are the most loyal dogs out there.

But are they safe to the general public. The answer is no. People and kids get attacked by pit bulls all the time.

Funny.

Well that's a horrible thing to watch first thing in the morning..geezuz. That was a lot of blood. Those two were out of fucking control. What a terrible owner. Hope he enjoyed them..I'm sure they've already been put down. If not, it's coming. Hopefully dude has a speedy recovery..I can only imagine the nightmares and trauma that occurs from such an attack..

Asmodai48

outside of the man being attacked, what made the video more disturbing is the fact the lady on the phone calling the police had to say her address more than 10 times on the phone. How hard is it for them to respond after giving the address? The man could of bled to death due to the semi incompetence by the dispatcher.

Yea wtf? How was she hard to understand?

Edit: Also surprised noone came out with a gun/baseball bat.

23qwerty

And even if they're loyal and well trained all it takes is one freak occurrence for the dog to do some serious damage.

Yep, the amount of small children they kill in their own home is pretty ridiculous. Where other dogs might bite a kid, a pitbull will kill.

akira28

to own a pit you should need a special dog license. Not hard to get, but you have to take a class and pass a test, because some dogs need special attention. Pits can be wonderful dogs, and they can be dangerous too. Especially if they think you're threatening their family.

zon

That's... no dude. Those people couldn't do much -- and those that DID, were also attacked by the dogs. They were out of control.

Couldn't do much? What?

It's a pitbull, not a fucking grizzly bear! Four grown men wrestling them to the ground and those mutts wouldn't be able to go anywhere. Or are you going to argue now that a pitbull can shake of 300+ pounds?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I really really dislike pitbulls and this video brings up some personal things that have happened in the passed regarding pitbulls. Every Pit owner says my dogs are my babies they wouldn't harm a soul but they are still animals and can be unpredictable at times, people can be too. I was so scared for that little girl because as a kid I seen 2 pits nearly kill my little cousin.

My exact experience, word for word. "My pits are babies". They all say it. It's even stranger that they all say "babies".

I have never met a pit owner who was not unhinged in some respect.

Incredibly defensive as well. Just like pit bulls... Ah-ha!

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I feel terrible for the old guy, Jesus fucking CHRIST he's defenseless... The people that eventually jumped in are ballsy af.

That one dog was vicious as fuck...

And even if they're loyal and well trained all it takes is one freak occurrence for the dog to do some serious damage.

That applies to all medium to large dogs. So ban all big dogs? Plenty of Labs, Rottweilers, Boxers, Huskies, Bull Mastiffs, and other big breeds attack people too and can kill.

Ferrio

Banned
Couldn't do much? What?

It's a pitbull, not a fucking grizzly bear! Four grown men wrestling them to the ground and those mutts wouldn't be able to go anywhere. Or are you going to argue now that a pitbull can shake of 300+ pounds?

Yes.

23qwerty

That applies to all medium to large dogs. So ban all big dogs? Plenty of Labs, Rottweilers, Boxers, Huskies, Bull Mastiffs, and other big breeds attack people too and can kill.

yet pitbulls account for more than half of all dog related fatalities
makes you think

Couldn't do much? What?

You want to attempt wrestling two pits to the ground who have lock jaw capabilities and a grip that can be unbreakable, ok superman. That would absolutely be the dumbest thing anyone could do.

My exact experience, word for word. "My pits are babies". They all say it. It's even stranger that they all say "babies".

I have never met a pit owner who was not unhinged in some respect.

Incredibly defensive as well. Just like pit bulls... Ah-ha!

I thought people on GAF would be a little less likely to generalize. I guess threads regarding pit bulls brings out the bunch who do generalize.

Zombine

Banned
I just want to point out that this is nuture and not nature. I've done a lot of work with the humane Society to get beautiful pitties wonderful homes, and they are gorgeous and silly animals who deserve a lot better than they get. I hate the culture behind owning them and what people assume they are for. Please give them a chance and really speak to your local humane society about the dog that is right for you. As a quick reminder, not all dogs are compatible with your lifestyle, and these pitties and all other animals at the shelter have gone through a process to filter what homes are the best fit for them. But seriously...I love these dogs and think they should be given a proper chance at a happy life with the right family.

tumblr_mvfmbmsrzL1s080geo1_400.gif

Couldn't do much? What?

This is an ignorant post. WTF....

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I thought people on GAF would be a little less likely to generalize. I guess threads regarding pit bulls brings out the bunch who do generalize.

Personal experience. All my friends that own pits constantly say that Their pit bull is a baby and would never hurt a fly.

And they are Incredibly defensive about them.

So no, not generalizing. This is my direct experience with my friends that own them.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

So you're saying a Labrador is as dangerous as a Rottweilers. Ridiculous.

yet pitbulls account for more than half of all dog related fatalities
makes you think

The reason so many attack is because people who want attack dogs, guard, or tough dogs will go to a Pit Pull because of its reputation. Many of them are raised and treated horribly or taught to attack. Pit Bulls are actually very loyal and affectionate dogs. If you ban then then another dog will become the most dangerous, just like Australia where they banned them and now arseholes buy Rottweilers and guess what breed has killed the most in Australia? Rottweilers.

Personal experience. All my friends that own pits constantly say that Their pit bull is a baby and would never hurt a fly.

And they are Incredibly defensive about them.

So no, not generalizing. This is my direct experience with my friends that own them.

I think pit bull defenders are seriously delusional.

oneils

Couldn't do much? What?

They have these things called teeth. Four dudes wrestle down while it chomps down on one of them?

Couldn't do much? What?

lol yeah sure

Ferrio

Banned
The reason so many attack is because people who want attack dogs, guard, or tough dogs will go to a Pit Pull because of its reputation. Many of them are raised and treated horribly or taught to attack. Pit Bulls are actually very loyal and affectionate dogs. If you ban then then another dog will become the most dangerous, just like Australia where they banned them and now arseholes buy Rottweilers and guess what breed has killed the most in Australia? Rottweilers.

Of course another breed will take the #1 spot if you ban it, that's kinda the point. The real question is, did the total number of attacks decrease?

Also as for Rotts, I've known quite a few very very lovable rotts. But like pits, there's a chance shit could go very wrong. My uncle had a Rott that was an absolute sweety. Yet one time when we were kids playing with her we either got her too excited or something and she started becoming defensive. Luckily our uncle was in the other room and came rushing in. It's the one and only time in the I ever saw her doing anything like that, but if my uncle hadn't been within an earshot shit could of gone bad.

I've also seen some absolutely monster rottweilers. Saw one maul a goat to death, it was pretty bad. Owner couldn't even get control of it.

Amalthea

Banned
People are always like "Don't blame the breed, blame the humans!" but the problem is that the humans really are to blame, after all a breed like that wouldn't exist naturally.

I honestly don't get why pitbulls aren't just all spayed. Let the ones that are still alive live their life happily as long as they behave but stop breeding those things.

Aiii

So not worth it
Any dog can go into attack mode. And I say this as someone who was attacked by a dog as a toddler and bitten quite a few times. It was one of those sweet dogs "that never harmed any one."

Dog owners are often misled by their dogs behavior around them into thinking their dog is a sweet thing that won't act like a dog at one point or another and that's a bad thing. Dogs are dogs and you need to train them as such, you need to train them to listen to you so that if and when they decided to attack someone, they will listen to you when you need to order them down.

I am always wary about dogs, especially when they're unleased.

Also, dog owners, not every person walking down the street appreciates it when your dog comes running up to them, even if "they just want to play." I beg you, please keep your dog to yourself unless a person invites them in.

I think dog defenders are seriously delusional.

FTFY.

They're animals and they can all be vicious, raising them right won't completely alter what they are. Shit, people can be raised well and fully comprehend concepts of morality and consequences while still being terrible. People have their hopes set way too high with their pets, it's just unrealistic. Be aware that some unfathomably complex process in your "harmless" dog's brain can cause it to want to kill you. It's rare, but it's not rare enough.

Shinypogs

Just spay and neuter every pitbull honestly. It's humane and they're responsible for the vast majority of deaths. There's nothing to be gained from letting them stick around. Just get other breeds.

You'd have to get rid of every large breed eventually. People would just move onto a different breed as evidenced by history showing them moving on from GS, dobermans and rottweilers ( though they are still popular) into the prominence of pittbulls. Hell where I live the problem dog is Huskies and they can deliver one hell of a bite and knockdown given their size and weight.

People who buy dogs for intimidation/status are always going to ruin a perfectly good dog/breed when they fail to properly train and care for it.

Even the breeds known for a gentler temperament today would eventually be corrupted by breeding the most aggressive of them together until you got lines that predictably produced the traits you wanted. You can't solve the problem of fighting and status dogs by banning breeds, you have to alter the way people think and act to change the desire and need for these sorts of animals.

bidguy

Banned
those are some ferocious fuckers damn
can anyone explain why a dog would do that ? did they feel threatened or something ?

diamount

Banned
Sure you would have. Those dogs shrug off any kick.

There needs to be tighter restriction on the breed, how the hell it would be enforceable would be the issue.

No they don't, their ribs are not stronger than any other dogs. There is a video where these cops kick the shit out of pit bulls attacking another dog and they went away scurrying and died. It's not hard to muzzle your dog if you know it's dangerous, srsly dumb as shit owners should be jailed for manslaughter.

Ex:2

I like the breed have even had a couple, but they are definitely unpredictable. I'ved mostly Shar-pei as an adult and a friend of mines pitbull destroyed the face of my shar-pei when he was a puppy, destroyed.

He's pit was like 4 years old and the pei 7 months. He has healed but his face is funny looking and part of his jaw had to be removed since the pit tore it apart. I don't trust pits now at all.

nel e nel

Folks, it's not hard to find info and studies on this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull#Dog_attack_risk

Yes, pit bulls are implicated in ~45%!of dog attacks, but there are too many variables for that to be a reliable stat:

- identifying pit bull breed variations isn't easy
- not all bites can be easily attributable to a specific breed
- most of those pit bull attacks were by UNOWNED AND FREE ROAMING dogs, and many were unneutered male dogs
- Rottweilers and German shepards are also implicated as some of the most frequent biters/attackers

There was an article we used to read and discuss with our students about a city in Canada that was trying to ban the breed outright, and a study showed that one dog owner that had been in trouble for his animals biting people was just an idiot owner that didn't understand the breed:

Left unattended all day long, tied to a post in the front yard, not fed or watered regularly, etc etc.

Yes, these dogs were bred to be hunters and fighters, but that only makes it that much more important that owners are properly educated on how to care for them. It's not uncommon to see some tough guy meathead with a wife beater, using a chain link and padlock from the hardware store as a collar, and their dog isn't neutered.

Manoko

I don't understand why the man being attacked, and everyone else besides the dog owner, seem to be so passive really.

If I got attacked by dogs that could potentially kill me, I wouldn't hesitate to use methods that will distract them from thinking I'm an easy opponent. I like dogs, but I value my own life or the life of other people more.

I don't know, punch them while they bite your arm or something, poke their eyes, anything that would really puzzle them and make them reconsider.
If you're not the one being attacked, a good kick in their ribs (even if it breaks them) should make them give up.

Anything other than the passivity displayed in this video. All these grown men can out muscle two (big) dogs easily. I couldn't bear watching someone getting bit and bleeding that much.

Reminds me of an other video from China where a dog went crazy on someone. A shop owner nearby came with a broomstick, hit the dog as hard as possible a few times, and the dog stopped biting and ran away.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't understand why the man being attacked, and everyone else besides the dog owner, seem to be so passive really.

If I got attacked by dogs that could potentially kill me, I wouldn't hesitate to use methods that will distract them from thinking I'm an easy opponent. I like dogs, but I value my own life or the life of other people more.

I don't know, punch them while they bite your arm or something, poke their eyes, anything that would really puzzle them and make them reconsider.
If you're not the one being attacked, a good kick in their ribs should make them give up.

Anything other than the passivity displayed in this video. All these grown men can out muscle two (big) dogs easily. I couldn't bear watching someone getting bit and bleeding that much.

Reminds me of an other video from China where dogs went crazy on someone. A shop owner nearby came with a broomstick, hit the dog as hard as possible a few times, and the dog stopped biting.

For one, there's two dogs, you can only attack one at a time. For another, he's hurt and on the ground because the dogs took him down. The bystanders try to help him, but when a dog goes into a rage, it will attack anyone, so naturally they're apprehensive out of fear of being attacked.

Also, these are pitbulls, they are strong ass fucking dogs, all muscle. You don't just kick it once and take it out, that takes a ton of effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom