• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of the Blue - UFO documentary in 720p

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHicks

Banned
This whole thing is popcorn-entertainment, nothing more.

THE END

this is how the debunkers operate

*highly experienced and respected pilot says he say a craft the size of a football field completely silent stalking his plane*

then you have an editor of skeptic magazine who has never left the skeptic magazine offices being contacted by a TV crew to give his opinion

skeptic magazine guy LOL's at the idea on camera
goes back to his office

any reasonable person would pick the side of the pilot and wonder "just WTF happened to the guy" instead of "lol fake"

Damnit, i thought it was something new I haven't watched yet.

I also watched that documentary about the TV station manager from Vancouver who analyzed a shit ton of footage from space shuttle missions, and found some weird anomalies. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the thing.

David Sereta? He's done several analysis of NASA footage. You can find them on YouTube. If you'd like some more stuff, go to the YouTube channel of the video in the OP. Some of the stuff they have there is pretty good, especially the South American documentary

*highly experienced and respected pilot says he say a craft the size of a football field completely silent stalking his plane*

then you have an editor of skeptic magazine who has never left the skeptic magazine offices being contacted by a TV crew to give his opinion

goes back to his office

any reasonable person would pick the side of the pilot and wonder "just WTF happened to the guy" instead of "lol fake"

Ok, maybe there are UFOs, in the sense of Unidentified Flying "Objects". But in the sense of OMG Aliens ....................NO (my opinion)

RagnarokX

goes back to his office

Pilot says something without any evidence to support it, possibly gets famous and makes money off story.

UFO believers instantly believe this new "evidence" and shut out all other possible explanations. Claim to be more open-minded.

Unexplained shit in the air is totally aliens.

For example, this
orion.jpg

is totally a man in the sky.

All the skeptics just need to connect the dots.

Teknoman

Thanks for the heads up. Is this going to stay free for awhile? Also since you're usually on top of things when it comes to the subject, have you heard anything about Raul Julia's son making some sort of Mayan alienish looking artifact documentary?

Also as far as some of these aircraft being alien in origin, i'm sure alot can be explained by conventional means, but some of what people catch on film just operate totally outside what we're current capable of, or at least what the general public thinks we're capable of. Now I dont think they are actual alien aircraft, but they could be satellites or "aerial rovers" of some sort.

MrHicks

Banned
Pilot says something without any evidence to support it, possibly gets famous and makes money off story.

UFO believers instantly believe this new "evidence" and shut out all other possible explanations. Claim to be more open-minded.

more like career ruined
your obviously not well informed about what happens to these pilots/doctors/navy/army people who come forward

NONE of them became rich
a significant amount spent the rest of their lives in obscurity and ridicule

goes back to his office

That's my problem with a lot of people on the skeptic side of things. They're always asking for credible witnesses, yet once you offer them once, they brush them off as a liar or nut.

I consider myself somewhat of a skeptic as well but I'm always willing to hear both sides of the story. I don't trust people blindly willing to believe but I equally don't trust those who are will quickly dismiss any shred of credible evidence put before them.

Blind refusal to consider evidence is just as bad as a blind willingness to believe.

akira28

When does this ever happen? Never? Yet people always assume the motivation is fame and fortune. People don't become famous, they become infamous.

Nevermind. I'm not getting involved. Back to lurking.

If you're a pilot, the last thing you want to do is say you saw alien space craft in the sky.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
lol aliens. But even putting aside that argument...

I cannot reconcile a government that is capable of both fucking up and being incompetent to the extent that it currently is, while also at the same time being advanced enough to build super duper secret ships and whatnot that nobody knows about.

Perhaps it's all just according to keikaku.

Darias

Needs more commercials, in my opinion. A commercial every 6 - 8 minutes isn't enough; I don't even feel like I am getting the commercials every 3 minutes like I do on tv!

noah111

Still Alive
I love how no body in here is actually acknowledging the fact that there were cover-ups, corroborating the government employees etc.. That's more important than what they saw actually are.

When does this ever happen? Never? Yet people always assume the motivation is fame and fortune. People don't become famous, they become infamous.

Nevermind. I'm not getting involved. Back to lurking.

If you're a pilot, the last thing you want to do is say you saw alien space craft in the sky.

So you're saying no one would ever say it for those reasons? Or want so bad to believe something like this is real that there assumption from an event will lead to UFOs as the explanation? What about all other terrible quality footage for things? Bigfoot is without a doubt real? The loch ness monster? Wouldn't they also just be ridiculed for it like you said the people claiming a UFO would? So why did they? To expose the truth? Not arguing whether UFOs are real or not but I think you're naive to say that this is some horrible offense that no one would admit so it has to be true.

I love how no body in here is actually acknowledging the fact that there were cover-ups, corroborating the government employees etc.. That's more important than what they saw actually are.

Not really since we don't have an inkling of proof about what they were trying to cover up exactly. Imagine if it was a normal human vessel that was a prototype by the army, do you think they would actually come out and say that or brush it off as nothing?

alphaNoid

Banned
I enjoyed watching this, even though it was mostly filled with content I was aware of. But it was put together and handled better than most vids.

noah111

Still Alive
Not really since we don't have an inkling of proof about what they were trying to cover up exactly. Imagine if it was a normal human vessel that was a prototype by the army, do you think they would actually come out and say that or brush it off as nothing?
Did you watch the same video I did? There are several cases where that wouldn't seem to make sense. The missiles going into no-go mode, for an example (among others).

Some of it just doesn't add up, whereas a lot of it certainly can be brushed off as POSSIBLY being advanced US aircraft testing, etc.

Did you watch the same video I did? There are several cases where that wouldn't seem to make sense. The missiles going into no-go mode, for an example (among others).

Some of it just doesn't add up, whereas a lot of it certainly can be brushed off as POSSIBLY being advanced US aircraft testing, etc.

I haven't had time to watch all 2 hours of it, I'm going to try to watch the rest tomorrow.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I love how the people who require proof that UFOs exist are "debunkers." What exactly are we debunking? You can't debunk something that doesn't exist. If there's no evidence then there's nothing to debate.

We can speculate and have fun, sure. But that's all we can do.

Real talk:

Say you saw an alien craft (not a UFO) out on a camping trip. Something blatantly alien - enormous, impossibly fast, shooting up and down, disappearing/reappearing, and you don't have time to pull out your hd camera and set up the tri-pod to get good footage of it. What do you do? Who do you tell, and how do you tell them?

I love how the people who require proof that UFOs exist are "debunkers." What exactly are we debunking? You can't debunk something that doesn't exist. If there's no evidence then there's nothing to debate.

We can speculate and have fun, sure. But that's all we can do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Air_Lines_flight_1628_incident

Oyran and Jason Raize are like Scully and Mulder in season 1 here, I just love the tension but I want them to kiss already.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Earth has the only life in the universe there is no such thing as ufo's. I will be watching this though as its free. Free entertainment for the win.

Earth has the only life in the universe there is no such thing as ufo's. I will be watching this though as its free. Free entertainment for the win.

With 120+ billion galaxies in the universe, and each universe with billions of solar systems? No, were not that special.

UFO's = aliens though, now thats garbage.

Is there someone in your life that you feel is more grounded and rational than any other person you know? Are they unlikely to ever exaggerate, or lie to you about something important? Someone whose word you trust more than any other?

Imagine they come to you excited and petrified, clearly shaken and not themselves, retelling an extraordinary encounter they've just had about a flying saucer hovering about them. Animated, they desperately try to articulate their words to best visualise what they had saw. You're left speechless.

What they describe to you isn't a vague light but rather something very close in proximity to them making it impossible to misinterpret. They are either lying or did see what they claim to have seen. But with your sceptical nature, you're reluctant to accept it.

How do you react to something like that because it's one thing to give an opinion of a stranger on the Internet describing what they saw; you don't know them or how credible they are.

I love these threads. I wish that I weren't a skeptic, and could believe these sightings were real. But come on. There wasn't anything about the Phoenix lights thing was remotely credible. The videos show a straight line of lights, where the eyewitness accounts vary from straight line, to triangular with the point leading, and others triangular with the point trailing. It really sounds like the media attention altered peoples recollection of events. Why didn't the media receiving all of these phone calls take a decent camera crew out to film it?

meppi

Anyway....
We might never know what any of this stuff is and what exactly is made up and what's not.
All that I know is that I personally witnessed this when I was around 13 years old.
The picture of the craft doesn't quite look what I saw, or at least I can't remember it having the middle light.
But the video that the one guy took is spot on, only in my case it was a lot closer to the ground and almost directly above me.
The things they state of it being able to hover without making a sound as well as speed away in a rather incredible way is something I can confirm as well.

I still have no idea what exactly it could have been, but I'm open to any possibility.
Take that as you will.

Because the government is trying to keep the lid on a top secret government project. This does not mean it is extra-terrestrial related.

Because the government is trying to keep the lid on a top secret government project. This does not mean it is extra-terrestrial related.

I love how UFO must mean aliens made it.

That conclusion can actually be traced back to the military as early as the 1940s. The phrase 'UFO', or Flying Saucer, hadn't been coined yet; they were referred to as 'interplanetary' vehicles. The reasoning for this, and one that undermines the 'classified experimental aircraft' theory, is that both the design and performance characteristics (saucer or cigar shaped, extreme acceleration in silence, impossible aerodynamics) were being displayed by these objects at a time where the air force still had squadrons using propeller planes - decades before we began putting men on missiles to reach comparable speeds to these objects. It's physically impossible for the human body to cope with the G forces involved in making instant right angle turns at thousands of miles per hour as much as it is now as it was 60 years ago.

You're right though, UFO doesn't mean extraterrestrial but you have to realise in this context, we're not just talking about any unidentified flying object (like a balloon or unrecognised light in the sky) but objects that defy known physics. This is why there is so much debate about whether or not they are even real, because if one were real then it certainly wasn't made here.

The question however shouldn't be whether all UFOs are alien in nature, but whether any of them are. Out of all the countless sightings over the decades, it need only take just one to be proven. If e.g. a typical sighting was verified to be true by scientific means then the question would be: where did it come from? The alien hypothesis would be at the most likely explanation, or at the very least, one of the most viable.

Kurdel

Banned
What they describe to you isn't a vague light but rather something very close in proximity to them making it impossible to misinterpret. They are either lying or did see what they claim to have seen. But with your sceptical nature, you're reluctant to accept it.

It is an interesting scenario, but ultimately not too difficult to resolve.

In your hypothetical situation, the most trustworthy person comes to you and details an impossible event.

We know people can have an experience indistinguishable from reality, and swear it really hapenned, when it isn't the case. Go read up on stories about physically and mentally exhausted people experiencing hallucinations, notably the "third man" or sensed presence effect. Seeing we interpret the world via our brain, it can trick us into iterpreting a personal hallucinatory state as reality.

Considering prior knowledge that the human brain is failliable and can be tricked, I would want to find out what is going on in my freinds life (seperation, job related anxiety, substance problems, health issues), in case this is a physical reaction to a degraded mental state.

Seeing your scenario is a flawed because this person actually saw this thing, and I am the one with the problem of skepticism, I would not believe the person. I am sure they feel they had an experience, but with my knowledge of how the human brain works, it is more likely to be an internal experience rather than an unexplained visitation.

My mother claims to have had a near death experience, and she is dead serious when she talks about it. Even then, we can replicate what she went though in the lab, and she did not even die. Her interpretation of a situation means nothing to me, seeing even she can be fooled by her brain.

As a skeptic, you must accept the people closest to you can have crazy beliefs, or you will end up alone, seeing nearly everyone has some wacky belief.

In your hypothetical situation, the most trustworthy person comes to you and details an impossible event.

We know people can have an experience indistinguishable from reality, and swear it really hapenned, when it isn't the case. Go read up on stories about physically and mentally exhausted people experiencing hallucinations, notably the "third man" or sensed presence effect. Seeing we interpret the world via our brain, it can trick us into iterpreting a personal hallucinatory state as reality.

Considering prior knowledge that the human brain is failliable and can be tricked, I would want to find out what is going on in my freinds life (seperation, job related anxiety, substance problems, health issues), in case this is a physical reaction to a degraded mental state.

Seeing your scenario is a flawed because this person actually saw this thing, and I am the one with the problem of skepticism, I would not believe the person. I am sure they feel they had an experience, but with my knowledge of how the human brain works, it is more likely to be an internal experience rather than an unexplained visitation.

My mother claims to have had a near death experience, and she is dead serious when she talks about it. Even then, we can replicate what she went though in the lab, and she did not even die. Her interpretation of a situation means nothing to me, seeing even she can be fooled by her brain.

As a skeptic, you must accept the people closest to you can have crazy beliefs, or you will end up alone, seeing nearly everyone has some wacky belief.

What if multiple people you knew and trusted claim to have seen the same thing at the same time?

RagnarokX

For an easily demonstrable where perception can distort reality, here is the McGurk Effect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFPtc8BVdJk

Listen to this video with your eyes closed, then listen to the video while looking at it. Report what you hear!

Kurdel

Banned
What if multiple people you knew and trusted claim to have seen the same thing at the same time?

And none of them could whip out their iPhones to film it? I would even take the blurry mess of nighttime footage from 4 cameras, that would be great! In this day and age, we can produce video and photographic proof of any phenomena, if we can at least have the 2 seconds to open the camera app.

Ultimately though, the odds they are either trolling are just too high. If they want people to believe their tall tale of unexplained weirdness, they have to reason to not have filmed it.

For an easily demonstrable where perception can distort reality, here is the McGurk Effect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFPtc8BVdJk

Listen to this video with your eyes closed, then listen to the video while looking at it. Report what you hear!

Not really comparable. "Da" and "Ba" linguistically are very similar to begin with, so the confusion is understandable. But as I've said before, in many instances there is nothing to contrast these experiences with.

And none of them could whip out their iPhones to film it? I would even take the blurry mess of nighttime footage from 4 cameras, that would be great! In this day and age, we can produce video and photographic proof of any phenomena, if we can at least have the 2 seconds to open the camera app.

Ultimately though, the odds they are either trolling are just too high. If they want people to believe their tall tale of unexplained weirdness, they have to reason to not have filmed it.

Well, lets say this happened a decade ago, it's not like there haven't been multiple person sightings prior to camera phones. Do you know a group of people that wouldn't troll about something like that? Remember this is a hypothetical scenario.

Kurdel

Banned
Not really comparable. "Da" and "Ba" linguistically are very similar to begin with, so the confusion is understandable. But as I've said before, in many instances there is nothing to contrast these experiences with.

It is still the same organ that is being tricked here.

The ba ba video is a way to illustrate how our perception of the world can be erroneous.

SiteSeer

i watched this when it first came out, years ago, some time later i heard they were making a sequel. any news on that?

Kurdel

Banned
Well, lets say this happened a decade ago, it's not like there haven't been multiple person sightings prior to camera phones. Do you know a group of people that wouldn't troll about something like that? Remember this is a hypothetical scenario.

Honestly, I don't know. I still have a tendency to think they were fooled somehow, but again, who knows?

To tell you the truth, and I am not trolling here I swear, I was part of a 7 person group that saw a UFO one night.

We live in the country, so it was normal to see lights in the far away field at night. It was maybe around 11 pm, and some friends signaled us to come see them. They said one of the lights was slowly rising into the air. So we sat on the school steps, looking at the seemingly ascending light. We waited, and after maybe 10 minutes, it started coming towards us. Slowly. Silently.

There was sort a crescendo of tension. The closer it was geting, the more obvious it was becoming. The sinking feeling that something abnormal was going on, because a plane cannot fly so low and be so silent. At this point, no one was talking. I remember sitting on a step that was half illuminated by a nearby light, and the other half cast in a shadow. Once the object was almost overhead, I slowly shifted my weight, as if I could conceal my presence from the aliens.

That is when one of the guys snapped, started screaming and running away. Immediately, we all got up and started running towards my house.

The UFO was moving in the same direction as us. We were 7 teenagers, running silently in the dead of night, with a triangular craft moving no more than 15 km per hour gliding above us at at least 100 m in the air. We could see it's undercarriage, faintly illuminated by a couple of colored lights. From that, we could clearly see it was a matte and metallic. While we took refgse in my mothers house, the craft kept on flying, towards the US border.

Going from the moment of pure terror, to this release of energy and being witness to this unbelievable sight was utter exhilaration. I went on to believe in aliens and UFOs for at least another 3 years, based on that experience.

What happened? What made me into a skeptic? I think it was a distancing from the whole thing. I decided to apply critical thinking to this experience, and decided that I could not possible conclude this was anything extraordinary, and classified it as unexplained. The point is, I can, and will probably never know what we saw that night. It was most probably some sort of glider that makes no sound at all doing an unusual nighttime run. I just don't feel comfortable saying "it was an alien UFO", even if people from that group still say that.

The moral of this story is, even when a group is face with a strange phenomena, can we really expect an objective assessment of the event? No. The feeling I felt that night were so intense, I have no doubt the others lived the same gamut as I did. I went an extra step and evaluated the experience, coming to the conclusion that it probably wasn't an alien spacecraft.

As a skeptic that has had a UFO encounter, I find myself well placed to know how these eyewitnesses feel. Knowing what know, and seeing what I been though, I cannot trust their accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom