• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlander - Season 2 - Saturdays on Starz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just like the whole scottish thing more than the french thing. Feels a bit more romance novely in france than it did in scotland. (Yes, I know, I know...)

I don't know if it's the setting change or if it's their goal of trying to undermine the Stuart rebellion, but it's just not clicking with me the way S1 did.

Snake

I definitely feel like the show misses out, conceptually, by leaving Scotland, but the production has been so good this season that I can forgive that to a large extent.

Also that dogtor is a national treasure.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I just like the whole scottish thing more than the french thing. Feels a bit more romance novely in france than it did in scotland. (Yes, I know, I know...)

I definitely feel like the show misses out, conceptually, by leaving Scotland, but the production has been so good this season that I can forgive that to a large extent.

Well, it's not like they've moved over to France permanently, since we know Jamie and Claire do go back to Scotland at some point.

Also that dogtor is a national treasure.

Yes

zvw871Z.jpg

Retro

I got a tad grumbly during this episode.

JAMIE: "We should expose so-and-so at the dinner party next week!"

CLAIRE: "Yes, let's!"

CUT TO: Busy scene of servants obviously preparing a dinner party.

SUBTITLE: - One Week Later -

JAMIE: "Well, it's been a week, are we all set for the party where we're going to expose so-and-so?!"

CLAIRE: "Why yes, one week has indeed passed since we discussed exposing so-and-so. At the Dinner Party! Which we're having now! Because it's been a week, you see!

Okay, it's not quite that bad, but still... It's almost as bad as the voice over telling us the things we're obviously seeing. We can all (hopefully) understand what's from the second we see servants bustling about the dinner table and the change in setting. We can figure it out without the subtitle or the reminder of the thing you literally just said!

/grumble. Otherwise, a good episode. And yes, the simmering political intrigue of the French Court does eventually give way to a return to Scotland. That's not a spoiler, of course, since we know Claire ends up at the stones in Scotland eventually.

And Bouton is totally the pyjamas de chat.

This show doesn't shy away from graphic sex scenes, but I'll admit I was surprised by the nipple kissing. The actors must be really comfortable with each other and have very understanding significant others.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Terry Dresbach, the show's costume designer has a great site full of background on the costuming and how it's made. In those high quality photos you can fully see the amazing stuff they make.

http://www.terrydresbach.com/

AlsiVuy.jpg

Tom and Lorenzo also had an interview with her on their latest podcast. It was really interesting. Also, their Outlander Style posts are amazing and I'm waiting for the one on the most recent episode to go up.

Podcast: http://tomandlorenzo.com/2016/04/po...lutely-fabulous-the-movie-outlander-costumes/

Outlander Style: http://tomandlorenzo.com/2016/04/outlander-style-useful-occupations-and-deceptions-costumes/

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Untimely Resurrection

Jamie and Claire reunite and attempt to extinguish the fires, but Claire undertakes an unexpected change of course and their relationship is put to the test by a past event that comes back to haunt them.

C4Lukins

The last couple of episodes of season 1 killed the show for me. I watched the first couple episodes of season 2, but the series feels like rape or almost rape the show.

I thought it was great for awhile, but the show just pushed me away at a point.

Anyone else not care at all if Claire saves Frank?
This is what I learned with this week's episode: Black Jack Randall makes this show. I thought it was the move to France that had turned me off. I had almost fallen asleep watching this episode, when Black Jack walked through that lawn party.

Boom. Immediately awake. Intense scene.

And Claire's reasoning is ridiculous. If she starts changing the future, there's no telling what else will change. If they change the course of this rebellion, then all sorts of things could change. People whose family bloodlines are cut off in that rebellion may very well live to produce children who intersect with the Randall bloodline. Frank may not ever live regardless.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Catching up on the Starz app right now, only on Episode 3 of this season. I missed Scotland as the setting, but I'm warming up to France. The ridiculousness of the aristocrats and the intrigue is easing me into the new setting.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
On Episode 4. The Duke of Sandringham at this dinner party is cracking me up. I go back and forth between despising him and loving his character.

And poor Mary. She's my favorite of the new characters. 😢

The new intro is growing on me. Starting to like it more than Season 1. Blasphemous, I know.

To be fair, Claire doesn't have another 70 years worth of time traveling stories to pull from. What other popular time travel stories were there at that point besindes H.G. Wells' "The Time Machine"?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Best Laid Schemes...

Claire's medical knowledge is used to devise a plan to halt a deal that would fill the war chest, but she learns Jamie has reneged on his word, and that leads to problems for both of them.

Well, I've been expecting Frank's ancestry being wrong (or it being covered up) and that he actually descended from Jack's brother.

Grizzlyjin

I never really bought the Jack & Mary = Frank thing. That's why Claire's plan to ensure that it happens always seemed so odd. If it happened without your interference originally, pushing people together based off sketchy information is more dangerous. Plus, I can't see Mary going from in love with the brother to being with Jack within a year.

I loved the lead up to the duel. Where we hear about the events that preceded it and then follow Claire while she races to them midway through. It was a great way to keep the tension going.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I loved the lead up to the duel. Where we hear about the events that preceded it and then follow Claire while she races to them midway through. It was a great way to keep the tension going.

Agreed. I even thought it was going to be a misdirect at first, with Jaime fighting some other British officer. (btw I hope nothing bad happened to Fergus...)

Grizzlyjin

I didn't expect the France plot threads to all be resolved like that, but that about wraps it up for everything. Of course Claire and Jamie are knowingly going back into the lion's den if they head back to Scotland.

My favorite thing about this episode is that they didn't treat Claire's anger and grief like a light switch, where it could be turned on or off by having clarity of the full situation. She just focused her anger inward instead of at Jamie when she discovered the full story behind the duel.

Fergus scene was VERY hard to watch, even though they kept what was shown to a minimum. The implication was pretty obvious last week, and the fade out made it even more unsettling than actually seeing it this week.

The King is a 2 Pump Chump. Of course, nobody would ever dare tell him that. That scene had the potential to be very unsettling, but it was sorta absurdly funny. Claire's stereotypical "Think of England" line and then it being over in less than 20 seconds. I had a weird "Should I be laughing at this..." moment. Haha

And then we got a glimpse of the future, which was cool. So how many years has Claire been back at this point?

I've never read the books, but I'll ask this in spoilers:

Is that kid in the opening Claire and Jamie's? She had red hair, and then later on in the episode Claire mentions how the baby that was stillborn had beautiful copper hair. The moment she said that I was like "Ohhhhhhh"

I didn't expect the France plot threads to all be resolved like that, but that about wraps it up for everything. Of course Claire and Jamie are knowingly going back into the lion's den if they head back to Scotland.

My favorite thing about this episode is that they didn't treat Claire's anger and grief like a light switch, where it could be turned on or off by having clarity of the full situation. She just focused her anger inward instead of at Jamie when she discovered the full story behind the duel.

Fergus scene was VERY hard to watch, even though they kept what was shown to a minimum. The implication was pretty obvious last week, and the fade out made it even more unsettling than actually seeing it this week.

The King is a 2 Pump Chump. Of course, nobody would ever dare tell him that. That scene had the potential to be very unsettling, but it was sorta absurdly funny. Claire's stereotypical "Think of England" line and then it being over in less than 20 seconds. I had a weird "Should I be laughing at this..." moment. Haha

And then we got a glimpse of the future, which was cool. So how many years has Claire been back at this point?

Is that kid in the opening Claire and Jamie's? She had red hair, and then later on in the episode Claire mentions how the baby that was stillborn had beautiful copper hair. The moment she said that I was like "Ohhhhhhh"

Spot on. Great episode tonight. The malaise from the first half of the season has lifted, for me. Although again this show is too rapey.

Retro

It's not even really a book spoiler (Season 2 Spoilers):
If you remember the first episode of this season, after she comes back from the 1700s she tells Frank that she's pregnant. It's pretty clear Jamie is the father, now that we've seen she has a kid with red hair.

Grizzlyjin

It's not even really a book spoiler (Season 2 Spoilers):
If you remember the first episode of this season, after she comes back from the 1700s she tells Frank that she's pregnant. It's pretty clear Jamie is the father, now that we've seen she has a kid with red hair.

I completely forgot about that! I need to rewatch that first episode, I couldn't remember how long Claire was gone before she came back either

Retro

I completely forgot about that! I need to rewatch that first episode, I couldn't remember how long Claire was gone before she came back either

Very minor book spoilers (nothing the show hasn't already covered):
I dunno if they do the math in the show or if they stick to the same dates, but in the books she comes back in April 1948 after disappearing in May 1945, so just shy of three years. I can't find the exact dates for the show but I see no reason why they'd change it.

Edit: Wikipedia page for the show confirms those dates as well, so yep!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What a phenomenal and devastating episode of TV. Really great stuff - easily one of the better episodes they've done. Claire was really put through the ringer, and poor Fergus...

I was surprised they wrapped up so many of the storylines too. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't do more with St. Germain, but I suppose it's for the best that they didn't further escalate things, lest he become another Black Jack Randall type figure. The way his arc wrapped was pretty satisfying at any rate.

Although again this show is too rapey.

Unlike most other shows though, rape on Outlander is more than a plot device. Here it actually means something.

anaron

What a phenomenal and devastating episode of TV. Really great stuff - easily one of the better episodes they've done. Claire was really put through the ringer, and poor Fergus...

I was surprised they wrapped up so many of the storylines too. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't do more with St. Germain, but I suppose it's for the best that they didn't further escalate things, lest he become another Black Jack Randall type figure. The way his arc wrapped was pretty satisfying at any rate.

Unlike most other shows though, rape on Outlander is more than a plot device. Here it actually means something.

Exactly. I mean, it's treated for the horrible act that it is and not as a way to just torture for the sake of shock value.

People need to stop viewing the sole act of awful things in a vacuum - context, perspective and writing matters and this show treats it right.

hythloday

This episode had a little taste of the supernatural to it (I mean, it's always there, because time travel, but it's not always so obvious). Master Raymond's ability to heal Claire's sickness, and Claire's anti-poison necklace actually changing color. What on earth was going on there?

Catriona Balfe's performance was heartbreaking. I barely managed to suppress tears for most of the episode, but failed at the very last scene. It made me think of my mom, who had miscarriages before I came along.

I liked the King too, but I was getting Andrew Scott vibes for some reason this episode. I don't know why. Maybe they look a tiny bit similar, but not really?

The Comte de St. Germain... I really liked him. I think I saw a tear running down his cheek as he accepted his fate?

Poor Fergus. I just love his character.

Claire and Jaime's reunion after his release was a change from the books and I like how they did it on the show better. In the books she
stays with Louise for a few weeks instead of returning home, and Jaime gets released from the Bastille but still stays away for a while, thinking Claire would spurn him. When he finally comes to see her, they have kind of a weird sex scene with Claire feeling like she should be punished for being unfaithful to Jaime with the King. Meh.

I usually watch series again after they're finished, but... on a series re-watch of Outlander, I just might skip this episode. Incredibly well done, but too emotional.

sammex

Exactly. I mean, it's treated for the horrible act that it is and not as a way to just torture for the sake of shock value.

People need to stop viewing the sole act of awful things in a vacuum - context, perspective and writing matters and this show treats it right.

That's what makes it so hard to watch, well for me at least. It's that there is the weight of emotion behind it that makes me way more uncomfortable with the scenes than in other shows. They don't over use it, but that does not diminish the strength with which they brandish it. I can see why it'd make others uncomfortable.

I am glad they're going back to Scotland now. I did like the stuff in France but Jamie always seemed so out of place all dressed up and doing courtly stuff. I'll definitely miss Claire in some of those crazy dresses, as well as her friend Louise and Master Raymond.

Grizzlyjin

I wonder if they'll switch back to the original theme song now that they're going back to Scotland?

#TeamFrenchOpening

That is actually a good question. Doesn't the opening also include moments from future episodes as well? I think they've exhausted everything now that we have the snake moment.

Ingram

Watched GoT "The Door" before watching this weeks latest episode "Faith." Talk about some absolutely fantastic back to back television.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom