• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch gets Summer Games update (new mode in Weekly Brawl, new skins/etc)

Killyoh

I think you got the wrong pic dude. This is the real one.

dead%20fish%20rio%20de%20janeiro.jpg
I'LL KEEP COMING

Nice stickers, really love them, especially Tracer and Soldier 76.

The map does really look like a Rocket League stage though.

Forkball

Finally Lucio gets a good skin. His other ones were just too goofy.

Also what's next? World Series cross over? Super Bowl? WRESTLEMANIA?

bunkitz

Golf 76 is fucking precious. Feel a little (just a really tiny bit) offended with Mei's, but ultimately fine with it. Reaper's is funny and awesome. Also really like Mercy's for some reason...

Plum

Why not make it Rio 20XX (whenever the game takes place)? Most of the characters wouldn't have even been born by now and it's not like we wouldn't know what the new content is referencing.

Still, all of those sprays and skins are perfect. Extreme BMX Reaper is the icing on the cake. Gonna start saving up some coins for some actually good Lucio/Tracer/Zarya legendaries.

ekim

The only way is with actual money? The hell?

I can understand making them available for a limited time but only making the items available with actual money seems like a shitstorm waiting to happen.

Well you can also get them from normal loot boxes by leveling up.

I can understand making them available for a limited time but only making the items available with actual money seems like a shitstorm waiting to happen.

The way I understand it, is that these Olympic lootboxes will replace regular lootboxes when leveling up. But you can't buy the new skins with credits.

If only three of them get actual skins that would be pretty lame, actually.
I really hope all of them get skins. Even if Bastion's new skin are merely Boxing Gloves. I don't care. Everyone depicting a sport would be sweet. Only three being sport-themed would be...well, lame. Especially since Lucio already has a sports themed skin.

Alista

i suspect that it's that they drop in loot boxes from levelling or purchase but you can't buy them with the in game credits so probably a lot of levelling to do to catch em all or you can gamble with loot boxes and end up with a shit ton of duplicates.

Real money for RNG loot boxes just to get the two seasonal skins I want?

Gonna hold out for a confirmation and more info because ugh.

Ertai

I think they are just added to the normal loot in the lootboxes. Buying the special lootboxes guarantees you to at least 1 summer item whereas regular lootboxes have a much smaller chance.

You just cant buy them with credits and regular lootboxes have a very small chance to contain summer items

Maximo

Found this:

If Im reading this right they will have a separate currency and lootboxes that can only be purchased to the one we already have and can only be used for Summer Games related items, AND you only get 25% of the original cost if you get a duplicate? Blizzard pls...

Syntax

If Im reading this right they will have a separate currency and lootboxes that can only be purchased to the one we already have and can only be used for Summer Games related items, AND you only get 25% of the original cost if you get a duplicate? Blizzard pls...

No. It specifically says the credits from duplicate items can only be used on non-summer loot.

Also, odds this is the business model for all future (mass) skin releases? Halloween? Christmas? etc.

duckroll

Okay here's what it sounds like:

- From today until Aug 22, you can earn Summer items via normal lootboxes or buy Summer lootboxes as microtransactions.
- Each Summer lootbox will contain at least 1 Summer themed item.
- You cannot buy these Summer items with currency.
- If your Summer item is a dupe, you get currency per normal, which cannot be used to buy Summer themed items (ie: you lost at the slot machine big time).

Ertai

Not entirely, i think that summer items are obtained ONLY through lootboxes. You get normal lootboxes through leveling regular which has a small chance to contain summer items.

Summer lootboxes guarantee you to one summer item minimum and if that is a duplicate then you get regular currency from them.

That's just my interpretation though.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm honeslty impressed that they managed to avoid pandering waifu horseshit to the extent that they have

Squishy3

It specifically says this:

*Summer Games lootboxes are available to purchase or earn in-game until 8/22 at 11:59PM PST.

If I had to guess they'd be replacing the normal loot boxes for the duration of the event?

Oh, duckroll beat me to it

ekim

Okay here's what it sounds like:

- From today until Aug 22, you can earn Summer items via normal lootboxes or buy Summer lootboxes as microtransactions.
- Each Summer lootbox will contain at least 1 Summer themed item.
- You cannot buy these Summer items with currency.
- If your Summer item is a dupe, you get currency per normal, which cannot be used to buy Summer themed items (ie: you lost at the slot machine big time).

I wouldn't be surprised if there is indeed a new gamemode that is not in the regular rotation of QM or Ranked but more something like Brawl of the Week where you can earn those boxes.

duckroll

We'll find out when an actual press release and update comes out. I'm surprised Blizzard is dropping the ball and letting it leak on PSN before they announce it!

Mr YuYu

I like the idea that these are only available for a limited time. Makes it so much more fun to actually get one of the skins in a lootbox.

Yukinari

Im not saying turn this game into TF2 but its really asinine that the only fucking way to get these promotional skins is to hope the RNG gives you what you want and no duplicates because dupes will be useless.

Let us trade, let us buy specific cosmetics we want, make every loot box guarantee you no dupes, anything would be nice.

zoukka

Im not saying turn this game into TF2 but its really asinine that the only fucking way to get these promotional skins is to hope the RNG gives you what you want and no duplicates because dupes will be useless.

Let us trade, let us buy specific cosmetics we want, make every loot box guarantee you no dupes, anything would be nice.

But blizzard wants your money, not your good will.

Auctopus

90 items? So, if you had a 100% Summer Item/No Duplicate drop rate. You'd still need at least 23 Loot boxes to have a chance of getting all of it.

It's interesting that Blizzard don't want players to have all the customisation options available. Miss out on Tracer's Rio Olympics skin? Too bad, it's never available again.

Mr YuYu

Trading would indeed be nice!

Dunfisch

Ahahahaha, what a mess. Content that's available for a limited time only, and then it's all up to RNG. I can already imagine it, people buying lootboxes in bulk and not getting whichever skin / spray they want.

Blizzard, I love your games as much as the next guy, but this is fairly dumb. Lottery baby! Well, maybe it'll be available again down the road, though I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Top Bottom