• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch gets Summer Games update (new mode in Weekly Brawl, new skins/etc)

Auctopus

So the psn screenshot says "available to earn in-game". How are they going to let you choose loot boxes? Are we thinking a special brawl with a new game mode that earns loot boxes?

Summer Game loot boxes will most likely replace Vanilla ones for a short time. However Summer Game loot boxes will still includes Vanilla items.

Shredderi

Loot boxes are still random. There is no guarantee you'll get anything you want. So the potential cost of acquiring items through the real money slot machine could be far more expensive than $10 to $15 a skin.

The description says there are 90 Summer Games items including skins, emotes, and intros.

It's still useful to pick up items you haven't gotten through chance. And new character releases like Ana didn't have any restrictions in place as far as using in-game currency to buy all her stuff. The only limitation was placed on look boxes in that the loot is generated at the time earned, not opened. So you can't stockpile boxes and just open them when new stuff comes out.

What would be so wrong in this? It's not a F2P game. I paid good money for it and if I stockpiled on boxes it means I put the hours in the game as well (I don't buy boxes).

Plum

It's still useful to pick up items you haven't gotten through chance. And new character releases like Ana didn't have any restrictions in place as far as using in-game currency to buy all her stuff. The only limitation was placed on look boxes in that the loot is generated at the time earned, not opened. So you can't stockpile boxes and just open them when new stuff comes out.

Yeah, I know how it works. However every dedicated player has most definitely bought or received their favourite cosmetics for their most-played heroes by now. With this Blizzard isn't harbouring long-lasting dedication and community building, they're giving an objective advantage to people able to pay enough during a specific time span. If you can't play OW during the period and can't afford $50 in loot boxes then you can kiss your chances of playing with the best legendary skins for Tracer, Lucio and Zarya goodbye. In a P2P game like OW that is irredeemable money-grubbing. They aren't even giving us the option to buy a Summer loot box after the time is up for crying out loud.

Maximo

The saddest part about all of this is that I'm ready to put down a fat load of cash for this stuff. Ugh.

I mean guess blizzard was correct when they said all future content would be free..they never mentioned some of the content could be for a limited time only. Really pathetic when blizzard themselves and many fans justified the games *debatable* lack of content with *All future content will be free, the crates im buying will fund future skins and Heroes!!, we only funded more ways for blizzard to nickle and dime everyone.
This is simply basing on what we know so far it could change but if its real it needs to be called out for how sleazy this is to everyone that has bought and supported this game.

ekim

What would be so wrong in this? It's not a F2P game. I paid good money for it and if I stockpiled on boxes it means I put the hours in the game as well (I don't buy boxes).

Stockpiling wouldn't give you anything as the content of the lootbox is determined the moment you receive it.

Veldin

Scummy.

It'd honestly disturb me if Blizzard doesn't end up getting shit on for this. Have not and will not ever spend anything on their pathetic little boxes. Don't even care about the skins, I just despise business models like this.

MikeK

Neo Member
No one knows, because there is no goddamn press release yet. This is essentially a leak because some PSN stores updated earlier than others. Lol.

It's possible that during this period, ALL loot boxes are replaced with Summer ones. It's possible that you can earn them through some other mode. We don't know!

All loot boxes will be replaced by Sommer game boxes. You cant even purchase normal boxes in the store right now

Shredderi

I mean guess blizzard was correct when they said all future content would be free..they never mentioned some of the content could be for a limited time only. Really pathetic when blizzard themselves and many fans justified the games *debatable* lack of content with *All future content will be free, the crates im buying will fund future skins and Heroes!!, we only funded more ways for blizzard to nickle and dime everyone.
This is simply basing on what we know so far it could change but if its real it needs to be called out for how sleazy this is to everyone that has bought and supported this game.

Exactly. Why do they even feel like they need to do this? The game seems to be doing super well. It's not like they're bleeding out on the sidewalk. Just put the things as new skins and stuff to be there forever like all the other stuff and people can unlock them with time.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I'm honeslty impressed that they managed to avoid pandering waifu horseshit to the extent that they have

Anything can be waifu horseshit as it's almost 100% player meta.

Hell, even Roadhog in speedos could be considered sexy by someone out there, but we won't see anyone complaining about that, will we?

Forkball

I wonder if non-event skins they add to the game will be purchasable via coins. I mean they have to be right? Otherwise some hardcore players would amass every legendary and epic skin and have nothing to buy.

IvanJ

Banned

I don't understand why you think it's nickel and diming? You will still be able to play and earn loot boxes, now with a guaranteed Olympic item in each one. You don't need to spend a single cent extra on top of what you paid for the game. I have the game since day one, paid $60 then, and haven't spend anything more since, and the game never asked for my money either, everything was available, and now these new items will be available.

Rodelero

Here we go again...

We went through this whole thing when Overwatch released.

I'm still desperately struggling to get mad about cosmetic items... but I can't.

I particularly can't get irritated that there are limited time cosmetics. Who honestly thought this wouldn't happen?! Limited time stuff is great.

Syntax

Just to be clear, I'm in agreement with you. But by letting it work the way we want it to a couple of things happen:

1) Opening reserve loot boxes during new content has the potential (through RNG) to give you the item(s) you want without any additional play time or cost (either in real or in-game money). Potentially, you could get real lucky and be done getting everything right away. No incentive to play more just for the new loot.

2) If the Summer Games loot boxes will be replacing the standard loot box, when the update goes live you'll essentially circumvent their reward system and have X number of Summer Games crates in your inventory already. You'd run into the same scenario described above. No need to participate in their event.

We don't know the full details of the system so we shouldn't fly off the handle just yet. But feel free once everything's known.

Yeah, I know how it works. However every dedicated player has most definitely bought or received their favourite cosmetics for their most-played heroes by now. With this Blizzard isn't harbouring long-lasting dedication and community building, they're giving an objective advantage to people able to pay enough during a specific time span. If you can't play OW during the period and can't afford $50 in loot boxes then you can kiss your chances of playing with the best legendary skins for Tracer, Lucio and Zarya goodbye. In a P2P game like OW that is irredeemable money-grubbing. They aren't even giving us the option to buy a Summer loot box after the time is up for crying out loud.

As I said above, we don't know all the details. But that is how it will work during the event. It could very well be that we'll be able to get the Summer Games items through some other means after August 22nd.

I feel like this would be better if loot boxes were like the card packs you get on PvZ Garden Warfare. I pretty much exclusively played as Sunflower on that, and like 90% of my random unlocks I got were for that character. On Overwatch I have more items for the characters I hardly ever touch than the ones I play a lot. Also combined with the fact that I'm around level 30 and I've only had one legendary skin, which again was for a character that I hardly ever use, I'm not holding much hope at getting these skins.

Like, there's chances that I'll play as Zarya a good majority of time between now and when the event ends, but knowing my luck, on the off chance I actually do get one of the skins it'll be for one of the other two characters.

Hanmik

this is from the danish PC PSN store..

Qlz02Iz.png

jYR3WW7.png

KyleCross

I'm guessing the "at least one" in every loot box includes duplicates, so you won't even get everything after 90 lootboxes... and we only get 20 days? Fuck off, man...

JBwB

I want those tracer and zarya skins so bad. Hell, I may even fork out some money on lootboxes if I have to.

I loved Tracer skin until...
Does she have her fingernails painted in the colors of the UK flag? I know a lot of female athletes do this, but I find it disgusting, not because of being the colors of the flag, just because I find painted fingernails, and more if they are in some kind of pattern and strange colors, disgusting.

I actually prefer some of the costumes in the grafittis.

EDIT, Seems that people are trying to make this a deep meaning of me hating the game or something for just a simple "I dont like this" detail:
Thanks, you can call it I dont like it. Good you enjoy it though.
BTW Its not meant to be, I hate Overwatch because they did this, its just, i dont like that in a character design, full stop, I understand theres some people that like it, but be damned if cant state I dont like it, I will still enjoy playing the game, but I would not mind If i dont get that character skin now.

I know lot of people love painted finger nails, if they werent it would not be the normal thing for girls (and some boys to do), I just dont like it, cool your jets off people. Im sure some of you also dont like something other people like, or you have a fetish other people find repulsive.

Shredderi

And here I am with 7k gold...FU Blizzard. Give me something to spend the gold.

Lol this. I am genuinely surprised that they haven't pumped like at least 10 new legendary skins for each character already. I don't actually know how large their teams are but I just have this image in my head where their games are making a shitload of bank for them and they have an army of modellers etc. Don't wait for 6 months and release what will propably be 1 new legendary skin for every character. I want 100 new legendary skins in the game in one patch asap so I can see some real visual variety. I'm actually pleased with how much skins Naughty Dog got into UC4 MP already. Blizz if you don't have an army of modellers already then hire them.

Hanmik

this

If your Summer Games Loot Box contains an item that is already in your collection, you will instead receive credits, which can only be used to unlock non–Summer Games items.

makes it sound bad..

Yukinari

Here we go again...

We went through this whole thing when Overwatch released.

I'm still desperately struggling to get mad about cosmetic items... but I can't.

I particularly can't get irritated that there are limited time cosmetics. Who honestly thought this wouldn't happen?! Limited time stuff is great.

If we could just simply buy the cosmetics with real money or trade for them nobody would give a shit if they were limited or not. Overwatch is a game that could easily sustain an economy if handled properly.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Considering the absolute shitshow that are the Rio Olympics I'm not sure if I want to support this.

Rodelero

If we could just simply buy the cosmetics with real money or trade for them nobody would give a shit if they were limited or not. Overwatch is a game that could easily sustain an economy if handled properly.

I'm sure it could, but I still don't think that justifies the outrage in this thread and others like it. The loot system could definitely be better - it's the idea that this is some despicable act that I can't really deal with.

This really doesn't sit well with me. Instead of making lasting content that will stay in the game going forward. They make limited time items that can only be gotten through loot crates and not through coins. In a full prices game no less... I really enjoy Overwatch, but this really sours me.

If your Summer Games Loot Box contains an item that is already in your collection, you will instead receive credits, which can only be used to unlock non–Summer Games items.

Seriously like it wasn't bad enough already?

duckroll

I'm sure it could, but I still don't think that justifies the outrage in this thread and others like it. The loot system could definitely be better - it's the idea that this is some despicable act that I can't really deal with.

You work for Blizzard bro?

kulapik

Fuck the skins (not really) I'm more excited for the new map and the new game mode, which is looking to be like blastball/grifball, and that's awesome

Does she have her fingernails painted in the colors of the UK flag? I know a lot of female athletes do this, but I find it disgusting, not because of being the colors of the flag, just because I find painted fingernails, and more if they are in some kind of pattern and strange colors, disgusting.

I don't even play Overwatch but that is the nitpickiest nitpick ever!

Nibel

Is this a real post

Zomba13

Yay! Limited time drops AND the shitty RNG of Overwatch AND the shitty dupe system AND not being able to buy them with currency!

"But shut up tho, it's free and stop being entitled and saying nasty things about Blizzard when they only show you love and free stuff!"

Angel_DvA

I don't know why people are surprised... Micro-transaction, DLC, season pass, retailer exclusive etc... all of this is scummy and totally out of control, it was just a matter of time for this kind of stuff to happen.

in other hand, it's just cosmetic, you shouldn't care that much.

Top Bottom