• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch gets Summer Games update (new mode in Weekly Brawl, new skins/etc)

Do you guys know that you get a loot crate every time you level up?

I've got over 60 crates already and not spent a penny extra, it's truly amazing!

For the next month my crates will be different and have limited time items in them that once again I do not need to spend money to get! SUPER.

KarmaCow

I've got over 60 crates already and not spent a penny extra, it's truly amazing!

For the next month my crates will be different and have limited time items in them that once again I do not need to spend money to get! SUPER.

It is pretty annoying that you cannot 100% get the skin you want and instead of have to rely on the rolls on loot boxes to get them, especially when you can get duplicates that give currency that wont even help you get the summer items.

Really don't get why this post needs to exist or why it's so condescending. If you're over level 23, it takes 22k each rank just to get ONE. It's a lot of playing and playing well to get them at a decent clip for such a short period of time.

Why have in-game currency at all if you can't use it for anything other than base items?

You mean after getting LVL100 ? How long do you get faster level ups from there? Isn't it the same like going from 1-100?
Yes, I mean starting over from lvl 100. The first 22 lvls take way less xp which means faster lootboxes. From lvl 22 onwards all lvls take 22000 xp.

You mean after getting LVL100 ? How long do you get faster level ups from there? Isn't it the same like going from 1-100?
The EXP per level caps at 22.5k or something like that, but the first 20 or so levels is less, and it slowly goes up by 1000/500 so right at the start, you can level up after each game.

dity

I mean guess blizzard was correct when they said all future content would be free..they never mentioned some of the content could be for a limited time only. Really pathetic when blizzard themselves and many fans justified the games *debatable* lack of content with *All future content will be free, the crates im buying will fund future skins and Heroes!!, we only funded more ways for blizzard to nickle and dime everyone.
This is simply basing on what we know so far it could change but if its real it needs to be called out for how sleazy this is to everyone that has bought and supported this game.
We got a new hero, we're probably getting another one in the near future. Didn't come from loot crates. Loot crates only give visual content. You don't have to spend money on them, it doesn't make you better at the game.

Tenki

Getting a free loot box everytime you level up is great.

Not being able to use our ingame coins in these temporal skins because they want people to buy more boxes is greedy.

I'm sitting on ~3K coins and there's nothing I want right now. I wanted the Olympic skins, but I can't use my coins because reasons.

This is good because I'm close to lvl 100. :eek:
119...I literally done 1-19 over the last 2 days, I knew these were coming, should have waited! I have been winning a lot though so, meh.

Either way, I JUST WANT THIS GODDAMN DISCORD ORB ACHIEVEMENT!

So if I'm understanding correctly, the Summer Games Loot Box just has one Summer Games item, with the rest just the current skins/sprays/etc?

Blizzard, you could have compromised on your scummy Scrooge McDuck-ing here, we didn't have to go right to the evil cackling in a corner clutching the $100 bills tier right from the get go! I would eye roll anyway, but I wouldn't be quite so annoyed with a limited item run if you could just flat out choose the items you'd like to buy. It's still a pretty shit option, but the Summer boxes containing 100% Summer items wouldn't be quite as bad. Instead, along with duplicates, you have to compete with all the current items (with duplicates) at the chance of getting a Summer item you want all within a very short time period. You couldn't possibly play enough to unlock it all, and the money involved in trying to get everything would be absolutely ludicrous.

Yay! Limited time drops AND the shitty RNG of Overwatch AND the shitty dupe system AND not being able to buy them with currency!

Urgh, exactly. Blizzard, I'd be happy (in my own stupidity) to throw money at you for the items I'd like. The chances of getting what you want in the Summer Games Loot Box are so low, there doesn't seem to be much point in spending the money in the first place.

dity

Not being able to use our ingame coins in these temporal skins because they want people to buy more boxes is greedy.

I'm sitting on ~3K coins and there's nothing I want right now. I wanted the Olympic skins, but I can't use my coins because reasons.
You could also just play more.

Dragner

Reasons being dollars (or your local currency).

Zemm

limited time RNG loot box drops in a £40 game.......blizzard wth are you doing, this is unacceptable behaviour

Indeed, this is bad and Blizzard going down this path so soon after release is another bad signal that this'll happen more and more.

ramyeon

Really don't get why this post needs to exist or why it's so condescending. If you're over level 23, it takes 22k each rank just to get ONE. It's a lot of playing and playing well to get them at a decent clip for such a short period of time.

Why have in-game currency at all if you can't use it for anything other than base items?
To be fair it doesn't actually take that long to level up. And playing well hardly affects it at all. You can be playing badly and still level up once or twice every session.

Would anyone be up for getting 12 into quickplay and getting some achievements and speeding through games for boxes once these are live?

To be fair it doesn't actually take that long to level up. And playing well hardly affects it at all. You can be playing badly and still level up once or twice every session.

Yep it doesn't take long at all, I've hit nearly 9k XP from one game before now (with first win and group bonus)

I'm not fussed about the boxes, like the normal ones its completely optional. I bought 50 when the game released but wont be buying any of these

Edit it also looks like we'll be getting another (temporary?) game mode

TheContact

It is pretty annoying that you cannot 100% get the skin you want and instead of have to rely on the rolls on loot boxes to get them, especially when you can get duplicates that give currency that wont even help you get the summer items.

You can definitely get the skin you want by saving up gold and not having to rely on the roll chance from a loot box

Yukinari

I know you guys are invested in Overwatch, its a fun game and i too play it everyday or every other day pretty much.

But theres no need to defend a company like its your best friend and ignore the reasons people give as to why this is stupid.

Yup. Game has been out 2 months now and had zero new skins added. The game seems set out to release new skins, sprays etc rapidly yet they've done nothing with it. Makes the unlocks feel stagnant.

Either this is your first Blizzard game or you have forgot that Blizzard take their time with e v e r y t h i n g...

IvanJ

Banned
Exactly. I play about an hour a day, and I made it to level 97 so far, without much hassle. I like to think I'm an about average player, get 4 golds sometimes, and barely a bronze the next match.

Guess I picked the right time to approach prestige, I'll get about 25 guaranteed Summer items fairly quickly.
And it's not like I will try to get all 90, I don't really care. Once it's gone, it's gone, no big deal.
I actually prefer it that way, will make my items seem more special next month :)

Gattsu25

Banned
You can definitely get the skin you want by saving up gold and not having to rely on the roll chance from a loot box
For these Olympic skins? The PSN pic indicates that these skins are NOT purchasable with gold and only attainable through drops.

NotLiquid

Only way I find this justifiable is if Blizzard actually increases the likelihood of these limited items showing up in a Loot Box.

ramyeon

I'm begging anyone in the Southern Hemisphere who is on the PS4 version to please play ranked with me. Solo queue is destroying my soul. It's horrible.

Falifax

I loved Tracer skin until...
Does she have her fingernails painted in the colors of the UK flag? I know a lot of female athletes do this, but I find it disgusting, not because of being the colors of the flag, just because I find painted fingernails, and more if they are in some kind of pattern and strange colors, disgusting.

PassionateGentleElephantseal.gif

MUnited83

For you.
You could also just play more.
Considering that they are only available for a very limited time period, and apparently you dont even get a guaranteed summer item if you dont pay for the box, not really. You could play 24/24 until the end of this and not get a single thing you want. Its not a reasonable suggestion.

Zemm

The fact that Olympic items are mixed in with normal items in these boxes makes it even worse. If all items in a box were Olympic items then at least that would be less scummy than what they're currently doing since you'd have more chance of getting the items you want, especially since it's time limited. Between items being from both sets and dupes still being a thing only now it won't help you getting Olympic items because you can't buy them with gold, this Olympic set is extra scummy and Blizzard deserves being called out for shitty practices.

ViviOggi

This system is literally the worst of both worlds from Leeg & Don'ta, without any of their positives, in the 40/60€ game

If you're rushing out to buy Olympic boxes you deserve no better

AngryMoth

I'm sure this was discussed to death in the "new low in microtransactions" thread I never clicked on, but having to rely on RNG instead of being able to just by the ones you want is beyond gross to me.

KyleCross

Wait, are people just speculating a new game mode? How would a sport game work within Overwatch? The course actually a road and the ball attached to a payload?

A little bit shady but god damn this is a fucking genius way to keep people playing/make a ton of money.

If this is the compromise to keep the free content coming quickly and consistently for years on end, then go for it Blizz.

Also, thank you mods for keeping the thread updated while I slept.

Ugh, no thank you. Basically they're making the loot boxes like your typical Japanese mobile game gacha, and to top it off it's just a bunch of ugly themed Olympics crap.

Top Bottom