• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch GOTY edition & Anniversary event confirmed

Arthos

Excited to throw my money at the screen. Bring on the hype skins. Zarya can still be redeemed!

I forgot where I read it but this event should be the one where Zarya gets a good skin. I believe it was in an FAQ where someone asked about that.

I'm also down for events in OW though with my growing interest in HotS and recent resub back to WoW, I'll have to find time to play through this event! Wonder when it starts. I'd assume it's after the HotS event unless the 10 loot boxes you earn there don't turn into anniversary boxes when unlocked.!

xviper

i'll never get tired of Overwatch events, love them

but truth must be told, this has got to be the worst GOTY edition of all time, it's pretty much the same as the original game plus 10 boxes, i don't care about non-Overwatch items

i'll never get tired of Overwatch events, love them

but truth must be told, this has got to be the worst GOTY edition of all time, it's pretty much the same as the original game plus 10 boxes, i don't care about non-Overwatch items

I really don't see what they could offer outside of loot boxes. 10 loot boxes is 10 bucks btw.. not a terrible deal.

They will never make a good Zar skin =(

463x-1

Really thought the 1 year anniversary would give us an event with new permanent loot availability. Guess Reins 2 skins is all we are getting.

xviper

I really don't see what they could offer outside of loot boxes. 10 loot boxes is 10 bucks btw.. not a terrible deal.

i'd say they should add, 20 boxes, new cosmetics that are exclusive to GOTY edition ( i know people will rage about this) but there is no reason to release a GOTY edition for a game that has no payed DLC, so you either offer exclusive things in the GOTY edition or don't make one at all

singhr1

i'd say they should add, 20 boxes, new cosmetics that are exclusive to GOTY edition ( i know people will rage about this) but there is no reason to release a GOTY edition for a game that has no payed DLC, so you either offer exclusive things in the GOTY edition or don't make one at all

It's replacing the normal origins edition. It allows them to justify selling a 1 yr old game at $60.

Fitz

Ending June 5th... so that means this event would begin next week? :D

That's the important information here. Afaik the events usually run for about 3 weeks, so next week would make sense, as long as they're not planning a shorter event for the anniversary.

Rafus

The GOTY edition is pretty meh, ok for people who don't already own the Origins, but doesn't have anything remarkable.
I'm always ready for a new event. They pretty much confirmed in previous interviews that they gonna give Zarya and Symmetra some legendarys, so almost sure this event will be the one, but I just want a legendary skin for Ana :p

Veelk

Banned
Don't tell me these monstrosities are the apparent "nice" Zarya HotS skins that people are always asking for.

I feel that's atleast partially because HotS deforms the characters slightly to fit it's own aesthetic. Even normal skin Zarya looks disporportioned in HotS. They'd look better in Overwatch proper.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I feel that's atleast partially because HotS deforms the characters slightly to fit it's own aesthetic. Even normal skin Zarya looks disporportioned in HotS. They'd look better in Overwatch proper.

As long as they remove the warhammer chaos spikes or whatever from her gun.

leaf_

I'm kinda of sick of seeing blizzard focusing so much on events skins and heroes because they drive the lootbox sales, while maps are left to rot just because there's no monetary incentive to do them...
One would think that with so much money, billion dollars franchise and all that, they would give some new content to the fans instead of constantly milking them for more cash.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'm kinda of sick of seeing blizzard focusing so much on events skins and heroes because they drive the lootbox sales, while maps are left to rot just because there's no monetary incentive to do them...
One would think that with so much money, billion dollars franchise and all that, they would give some new content to the fans instead of constantly milking them for more cash.

Coming soon - maps in loot boxes.

Veelk

Banned

This isn't laziness. Good and balanced maps when every player has the same basic abilities is hard. Blizzards task is many times harder than that because they have to design a map that fits the movement and abilities of 24 different kinds of characters AND they have to take measures to future proof them for when they make new characters.

In comparison, a skin is just a bunch of texture work. Not 'easy' I'm sure, but much less difficult than an entire gamespace in a game like this. Plus, they still keep delivering on new content. The last event had an entire new mode against AI. The event before that introduced Capture the Flag to the game. And before that, we just got a new character in Orisa.

I like new maps too, but the tasks you're comparing are not equal and they do provide legitimately new game content with events anyway.

Oh yeah they totally need the revenue after those official numbers. Yeah.

It's just the store item that gets you 50 lootboxes. We'll likely get only one free lootbox like the previous events.

But I wouldn't be surprised that in Jeff's grace we end up with something like five free boxes.
You have money already and still be money hungry.

They really need to update the base loot, shouldn't have to wait for events for new skins and stuff.

benzopil

Different people work on different stuff.

And yes, it's not Call of Duty where noone cares about design, chokepoints, highground and other stuff. It's much harder to develop.

Yukinari

This isn't laziness. Good and balanced maps when every player has the same basic abilities is hard. Blizzards task is many times harder than that because they have to design a map that fits the movement and abilities of 24 different kinds of characters AND they have to take measures to future proof them for when they make new characters.

In comparison, a skin is just a bunch of texture work. Not 'easy' I'm sure, but much less difficult than an entire gamespace in a game like this. Plus, they still keep delivering on new content. The last event had an entire new mode against AI. The event before that introduced Capture the Flag to the game. And before that, we just got a new character in Orisa.

I like new maps too, but the tasks you're comparing are not equal and they do provide legitimately new game content with events anyway.

You know what youre right, if getting new maps means getting more garbage like Oasis then id rather they take their time.

Would be nice to tweak other maps (hanamura) like they did for Eichenwalde.

Yarbskoo

After playing the shit outta the Halloween event and still not getting the witch skin, I just can't get excited about these events.

I refuse to pay real money for anything unless I know exactly what I'm getting, which means buying more loot boxes is totally out of the question. As long as the blind box system is the only way to get these new cosmetics, Blizzard won't be getting anything from me beyond the $60 I already gave them.

Greddleok

Its new ? Because i delete it 2 weeks ago...

This game make me so crazy , last time i won 9 games in a row and after the first lose i lost 11 game in a row and make me sick of it...

Sorry if my english are not so good , i try to improve myself . :p

Almost 50% win/loss. Seems like good match making to me.

Top Bottom