• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch GOTY edition & Anniversary event confirmed

Almost 50% win/loss. Seems like good match making to me.

Yeah ofc and its so fun to chain loose like that , make us so happy to play video games...

This sh*t are so broken , really .

Chain lost are the worst crazy thing ever , make you f*cking mad , really , i have never rage like that in a game , its the first game i delete and i have played a lot of multiplayer competitive games ...

This game make me sick ...

Messi

Yeah ofc and its so fun to chain loose like that , make us so happy to play video games...

Chain lost are the worst crazy thing ever , make you f*cking mad , really , i have never rage like that in a game , its the first game i delete and i have played a lot of multiplayer competitive games ...

But it's ok to chain win 9 games? I doubt you were complaining about matchmaking when you were winning those 9.

Drek

You dont understand where is the problem...

9 and 11 games is a very small sample. If you win 9 in a row it's going to push your MMR up significantly, which often leads to a hard correction as you're suddenly playing in matches were everyone is better than you, but that won't correct for at least a comparable number of losses (maybe more if you've had a history of outperforming the rank below you).

That was basically my lot in life previously playing Overwatch. I'd hover around the silver/gold line (not very good, I know, I freelance way too much and only play solo, so constantly get trapped in 2v1 and screw my team). I'd win a bunch, be on that line where suddenly my games are at least as many gold tiers as silver tiers, get smacked back down, and as soon as I was playing all silvers again I'd take player of the game repeatedly and start climbing back up, only to repeat.

There is nothing actually wrong with Overwatch's match making, we're all just guilty of cognitive dissonance and remember our wins more fondly than our losses. Marshall Goldsmith asked a MLB batter in his book "What Got You Here Won't Get You There" what he was thinking when about to face a pitcher he's hit well and the response was "I own this guy, I hit him every time I see him". When asked about pitchers he historically fared poorly against? "I've hit better pitchers than this chump". This for a profession where great success is failing 7 out of 10 times.

N7.Angel

The matchmaking is pretty great, having 50% chance to win is great to me, chain wins and loses happen, you can't win everything, life lesson.

OneUh8

I was addicted to this game for the entire 2016 year. Really dropped off though after Christmas. After playing HOTS the past few weeks for all these bonus stuff, I think I will jump back in for this event.

CuNi

While matchmaking is fast, it's unbelievable how many idiots are in diamond. It's like you have to carry your whole team.. They honestly should make the next season not count in the last ones..

While matchmaking is fast, it's unbelievable how many idiots are in diamond. It's like you have to carry your whole team.. They honestly should make the next season not count in the last ones..

If you are in a team that carries you well, you wouldnt even need to do anything. I was playing a game yesterday where the opposing team was carried just by a genji.

Greddleok

This game make me sick ...

I don't see how a 50% w/l is broken. Sure, losing 11 times in a row sucks, but also winning 9 times in a row isn't right either.
You also didn't mention anything about those losses. I've sometimes had a crazy loss streak, but most of those games were super close. I love those kind of close games, but I only get frustrated when I'm steamrolled multiple times in a row.
There's also the issue that with a team game like Overwatch, you can be matched wiTh people who are of a similar skill level, but your team had no coordination. Their team had all mics and were winning because they could organise. From a total of 20 games, that's not an incredibly unlikely occurance.

Finally instead of raging when you're on a losing streak...just stop.

kaskade

Nice to see this pretty much confirmed. It would've been a little nicer if they just added these skins to the normal rotation though.

So are people thinking this is going to retail for a full $60? That would suck.

They need to bundle some good stuff and do an interesting package for 60$ imo a year after release.

who am i kidding. if it has different but good box art ill buy another copy already own it everywhere lol

What is there to upgrade? This is an incentive for new buyers.
So what was the incentive for buying the origins edition? I figured something called 'origins' would have some exclusive content for those who bought the game at release. Turns out that wasn't true at all. Ah well. No regrets.

This sentiment can be echo'd in literally every team based multiplayer game ever. There are lots of bad players and chances are, if you play by yourself, you're going to have to carry your team or execute your role at a high level if you want a chance at winning.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I only have 1200 coins now. I will be lucky to buy a single legendary skin for the next event. :(

Worst case scenario... I resub to WoW, convert a lot of my gold to my Blizzard balance and use that for buying loot boxes.

How expensive is a token nowadays in WoW?

Oxn

The Zarya HOTS skins are stupid terrible. With that said besides the Olympic games skin, so are the rest of her skins.

marrec

Banned
The Zarya HOTS skins are stupid terrible. With that said besides the Olympic games skin, so are the rest of her skins.

The Arctic skin is okay.

Or maybe I just think it's okay because I'm comparing it to the vomit worthy Goth skin.

I'd be surprised if the Nexus Challenge awards the event boxes and not the generic boxes they offer outside of events. Surprise me Blizzard. I dare you.

Fitz

Shit if this starts next week, it falls in with week 4 nexus challenge of 10 boxes. Now I gotta do it.

That'd certainly be an effective way of getting even more people to try HotS, which is presumably the point of the Nexus Challenge. Don't see that happening though, likely we'll just get standard loot boxes imo, even if the event has started.

mellow

I have 2500 credits and I'm at a level where I routinely get full duplicates from my boxes, hopefully we finally get a great Zarya skin, it's what I've been saving up for.

I still wish they would let us buy player icons with credits, I haven't gotten any of the ones I want since the Summer Games event last year.

Paltheos

This sentiment can be echo'd in literally every team based multiplayer game ever. There are lots of bad players and chances are, if you play by yourself, you're going to have to carry your team or execute your role at a high level if you want a chance at winning.

It's pretty evenly mixed imo. Some games I own, some games I do awful. Some games my teammates appear to be a blithering idiots who couldn't get a kill to save their lives, Other games I get completely carried and feel totally useless. And of course everything inbetween. The distribution really doesn't feel that bad.

Top Bottom