• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch has destroyed me

destiny 1 was my time sink. Destiny 2 is looking like it might cure me of that so maybe that's a good thing. Age of Empires 2 is my all time black hole though. So many countless hours sunk into that game.

Milennia

WoW defined other games for me in its own way, i approach games differently now but i would say its a good way of looking at things

i accomplished everything you can possibly accomplish in that game and now i feel like i can just play anything and have the discipline to see it through to the end and savor the games i play these days

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I've played Overwatch 2-3 times a week since launch, and as much as I love it, the lack of things like custom servers means it will never form the communities that led to me playing TF2 for something like 4000 hours over eight years.

Had to double take and make sure this thread wasn't necro'd and your post wasn't written a year ago. Check out the server browser in Overwatch when you get a chance. Symmetra Dodgeball, Golden gun, Random Hero Deathmatch, Zombies DM, Boss battle, Sky battles, and Street Fighters are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this stuff. People have been really creative with the tools Blizzard has given. The only things missing are surf (unless you count Lucio race) and gun game.

I‘m addicted to this game and nothing else compares. I try getting away from it by buying other games but I‘d always let them collect dust and play some OW matches instead. It‘s Action non-stop, it always demands my attention, it‘s 80% fun and I sometimes die of laughter. 300h and it doesn‘t get boring in the slightest.

Do you also have a holy grail game?

Counter Strike: Global Offensive. I just can't seem to quit it. 700+ hours and still going strong.

Overwatch is the ultimate pick up and play game. I don't play comp, I spend about 85-90% of my time playing Lockout and talking shit in between rounds. Good fun.

Community is soft though. Rare to find people that can talk shit without getting pissy about it and can give it back.

KaYotiX

Banned
I‘m addicted to this game and nothing else compares. I try getting away from it by buying other games but I‘d always let them collect dust and play some OW matches instead. It‘s Action non-stop, it always demands my attention, it‘s 80% fun and I sometimes die of laughter. 300h and it doesn‘t get boring in the slightest.

300 hrs is just a scratch.... Come back when u have years in a game (me with Wow)

I'm the same way op. Just before work or anytime really I always go back to it in a time where I'm moving away from gaming in general.

Got bored of Overwatch after a few months. Dunno what it is about it, but everytime I try to play nowadays I just get massively bored after one round and end up quitting. Doesn't matter what hero/mode, playing with friends or otherwise. Even those co-op PvE modes are just... tedious.

Last two shooters I dumped a massive amount of hours in were TF2 (vanilla) and Bad Company 2. Nothing else has managed to recapture those experiences.

Overwatch has consumed me. If I have 40 or 30 minutes to play a game ill say fuck it, couple matches. I have soooo many games to play but always just wanna chill and be a hero

Snoopycat

Banned
Overwatch is the ultimate pick up and play game. I don't play comp, I spend about 85-90% of my time playing Lockout and talking shit in between rounds. Good fun.

Community is soft though. Rare to find people that can talk shit without getting pissy about it and can give it back.

I know the first thing I look for when I want to relax after a hard day's work is a complete stranger shouting memes at me

I just hit 3250 hours in Dota 2.

Have a group of about 11 high school/college friends that all play, so we pretty much always get a 5 stack and play daily

SpokkX

Late 90-ies i went through this with the Quake games (1,2,3) - thousands of hours

After this multiplayer pvp has never really held my attention for long. Liked Halo 2 but these days i barely even try pvp

Overwatch was ”been there done that” imo - really polished though

However i have played quite a bit Splatoon 2 which i enjoyed - maybe because it almost feels like singleplayer

Mikey Jr.

Planetside 2 on PC.

I have no idea how many hours, but it has to be in the 500's.

Regardless, I only like that game in one specific condition, and that is flying the plane. I love providing support to the ground troops and doing bombing runs.

The best is when there is a stalemate, and I can fuck the other team just enough to that my guys can push.

It is exhilarating.

None. I have caned WoW, Halo, EUIV, the Civ series, and love them all to death, but no game has ruined other games for me. I am always keen on trying new things.

Coiledviper86

Neo Member
Overwatch, Bloodborne, and Nioh are this year's addiction for me. I would rotate between the three per day. Overwatch wins for the extra hours.

Hloft

Neo Member
Yeah, I used to play Tales of pirates/2 so much, too much actually, I am kinda glad it cannot be played anymore.

Rezbit

I'm kinda bored of it after about 100 hours tbh. Definitely a good game up until then, I think I just need some more diverse experiences.

phyrlord

Blizzard man, one of the extremely rare game companies where most if it's popular/active games are 5+ years old and are still competitive with the newest games.

Man, Blizzard has been SOOOO patient, I commend them. Game dev has changed SOO much since 1995. People are bored of content in a month, but Blizzard, they still don't rush things.

Yup, Overwatch too. Got burned during the New Year event, but I was back the next event. I barely played anything since last year. 200h of Overwatch, 120h of Persona 5 and the rest is fighting games.

Z6E1Z9O

Neo Member
Destiny 1 did that to me, i have more than 900 hours in that game in only 1 year, but before that it was star wars battlefront 2 in which i have more than 3000 hours in.i stopped playing destiny a year ago, but i didnt stop playing swbf2 yet...

Celegus

Heroes of the Storm for me. Have played with my wife just about every single day for the past 2 years or so, and we watch all the pro HGC stuff and are going to Blizzcon just to watch the finals live. Our house and clothing is slowly but surely all turning into Heroes / Blizzard stuff... send help?

Syf

Banned
Two of those, and they're both by Blizzard: StarCraft and WoW. 90% of my gaming time is spent on one of those two and I still love 'em.

OneUh8

Battlegrounds killed my desire to play Overwatch. Haven't touched it since. Destiny 2 will probably take me away from BG when it hits next week on PC.

Trickster

No holy grail games for me fortunately. I can get super into games and play them intensely for several weeks. But eventually I will always end up getting bored and find something else to do. Also new games will always draw me away from any game I'm played for an extended period. Always more fun to play something new compared to something you've done over and over

90% of my gaming time from 2007 to 2010 was spent playing WoW and TF2. Two incredibly addicting games at their peak and with great communities.

Dr.Phibes

My experience with Overwatch:

"We need a healer!"

30 seconds later:

"You're the worst healer I've ever seen, go kill yourself"

Good luck man. Sounds like an unhealthy addiction to me. If you enjoy it though and it's not causing health or social problems enjoy it until it stops being fun.

Overwatch
Gears of War
Rainbow Six Siege
Killer Instinct
Rocket League
Pokemon
Halo

These 7 games, or franchises. Right now nothing compares to Overwatch for me though, but I have decided to take a break upon the Mercy patch that left her stupidly over-powered. Ill get back to the game at some point though. Hopefully when i come back Mercy is fixed, and Doomfist doesnt suck majorly still

mindatlarge

WoW when it first came out through the Burning Crusade. Looking back though, I'm glad I walked away. Haven't touched a MMO or heavily focused MP game since.

Have you tried paladins? A lot of people, myself included, prefer paladins to overwatch.

It's definitely not my most-played game up to now (probably would be COD4 or Destiny 1), but Rocket League will be the one that eventually surpasses them. Recently passed 1700 games played after taking multiple long-term breaks from it, but since early summer I was averaging probably 15-20 games per week, at least until the fall rush arrived. Don't see myself ever truly quitting that game for good unless they release a sequel of some kind.

I know the first thing I look for when I want to relax after a hard day's work is a complete stranger shouting memes at me

Not shouting. Not memes. Just basic, juvenile ribbing.

Sometimes I get it better than I give it. A lot of times actually, but it's all fun and games still.

Jblanks

My experience with Overwatch:

"We need a healer!"

30 seconds later:

"You're the worst healer I've ever seen, go kill yourself"

Probably the most toxic community out there; main reason I only do placements every season, and then move onto casual quick/mystery/arcade.

Quake 2 -> Gears 1 -> TF2 / Gears 3 -> Overwatch

Each one absorbed hundreds of hours of my playtime.

The only other things that come close to Gears 1, Q2 or Overwatch would be Civ 2 or perhaps Master of Orion / Master of Orion 2 / Master of Magic as a kid.

Or Dark Souls.

Always tend to play a lot of a few games, rather than a lot of games.

In fact, besides a few hundred hours of FTL earlier this year, I feel like I haven't played much besides Overwatch or Souls games in the last couple of years. Slowly working through Dragon Quest VII on my 3DS though.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
This gen its Halo 5. Always go back to it

Overwatch did have me hooked for a while though. Lately it just doesnt do it for me. Idk. Definitely got my money's worth though.

Blubikins

Neo Member
Here is my addiction timeline

D2/SC2 - middle school to high school
TFC/Counter Strike 1.6 was my jam in high school.
TF2 Junior year through Senior year.
DOTA 2 for several years after that.
Hearthstone for several years after that.

Each of these games i've put thousands of hours into. I'm excited for the next game I become as addicted to as these games. I don't even care if its an addiction. It makes life great lol.

Valthael

Neo Member
I must have put over 1000 hours into Oblivion over various characters when it first came out. The same for Skyrim.

Then it was Destiny, and now Destiny 2. I dread to think of the hours I will lose.

While obviously others will have played more, here is my most played game stats (and yes I keep track of all evergreen games I play.)

Super Smash Bros. 4 (3DS)
10/03/14 - Present
October 2014: 100:25
November 2014: 54:51
December 2014: 8:09
January 2015: 14:23
February 2015: 9:38
March 2015: 11:52
April 2015: 32:20 (Mewtwo!)
May 2015: 15:00
June 2015: 21:11 (Lucas!! Roy!!! Ryu!!!!) (Splatoon Launch)
July 2015: 22:22 (No internet from 1st-20th)
August 2015: 43:22 (Splatoon August Update)
September 2015: 31:11
October 2015: 35:24
November 2015: 22:38 (Tri Force Heroes Launch/100%)
December 2015: 35:25 (No internet from 3rd-24th) (Cloud!!!!!)
January 2016: 30:24
February 2016: 49:52 (Corrin!!!!!!) (Bayonetta!!!!!!!)
March 2016: 28:57
April 2016: 13:05
May 2016: 14:01
June 2016: 14:27
July 2016: 7:58 (Monster Hunter Generations!)
August 2016: 3:48 (Paragon!)
September 2016: 10:19
October 2016: 15:46
November 2016: 13:12
December 2016: 3:27
January 2017: 1:26
February 2017: 1:28
March 2017: 2:39
April 2017: 4:21
May 2017: 6:24
June 2017: 4:17
July 2017: 10:06
August 2017: 2:14
September 2017: 5:36

And yearly playtimes:
Super Smash Bros. 4 (3DS)
Year One: 163:35 (Started on October 3rd 2014)
Year Two: 294:46 (2015)
Year Three: 205:16 (2016)
Year Four: 40 Hours :/ (2017)

You can see it collapsed in December 2016 and never recovered. Pokémon Moon took play away, plus BOTW, Persona 5, Arms, and Splatoon 2 this year constantly took time away. But I keep on playing and just reached 700 hours!!

It's truly amazing...however I think even that will be beat now that I have a portable version of Splatoon 2 since:

Splatoon 2 (NS)
07/21/17 - Present
July 2017: 80 Hours
August 2017: 85 Hours
September 2017: 60 Hours

And I already played 35 hours so far in October meaning that's 260 hours and counting in less than three months. Truly Insane!!

Here are my most played games of all time to see a comparison:

1: Super Smash Bros. 4 (3DS) - 704 hours
2: Splatoon (WiiU) - 345 Hours
3: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii/WiiU) - 265 Hours
4: Splatoon 2 (NS) - 260 Hours
5: Pokémon Moon (3DS) - 227 Hours
6: Pokémon X (3DS) - 187 Hours
7: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS) - 180 Hours

And I have 5 more games at over 100 Hours.

As you can see I recently moved to playing just a few titles but a lot of time into each game.

However I think Smash 4 set a bar that can only be beaten by Splatoon 2 or maybe Smash 5. Splatoon 2 could eventually even reach the fabled 1,000 hours but it could also crash hard on it as well.

Smash 4 probably won't even reach 800 hours. At this rate Smash 5 will be out before that happens. But still had so much fun with it and still have fun each month.

NBA2k series (offline stuff). Man I play this all the time. It's hard for me to do other stuff (not just playing other games). This shit is addictive.

But really there's a mix of CSGO before.

Top Bottom