• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch League bans OK sign due to perceived hate group connections

MMaRsu

Banned
Holy fucking shit just b3cause some cunts troll the internet and use this as a hate sign now normal ppl cant use the ok symbol?

fucking blizzard

MMaRsu

Banned
Just because the origins of the hand gesture were not racist, it doesn't mean its not been adopted as a racist gesture now. It's pretty much seen now as a white power thing. But, like I said... Context. That stupid cow Zina Bash during the Kavanaugh hearings? Racist. Clear as day. It was being done for no reason at times, just because she was on camera. Don't give me the "she was asked a question" stuff either, because that's a one time excuse. You don't sit there with it on your arm for ages. The video above? Racist. Those stupid whitehouse intern on that photo? Racist. These were people that knew about the sign, knew about what it meant on both sides of the fence, and did it anyway. However, Bill Mother Fucking Clinton doing it, or Obama doing it, while talking... Not racist. Why? Because it was done before it was ever seen as a racist symbol, or hell, it was simply just the way they move their hands when talking. Why would Obama be flashing a white power symbol anyway?

Its all about the context, the use and the time. Its nothing about offended leftists, lol (thanks for showing what side of the fence you are btw), its more so about the way once something, no matter how innocent it was beforehand, is adopted for the wrong reasons... You just don't fucking do it. End of story.

Its not adopted as a racist symbol at all, fuck off with this bullshit and spreading false information

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
This is why I can talk about anything on neogaf... except politics and this left versus right shit. If you honestly can’t tell the difference when people do this versus others, then I feel bad for you. Maybe it’s an age thing, or where I was born, or what. I don’t know. But when something is said to me, I know instantly if it was a serious comment, or if it was a joke. I think the world needs to go back and remember people are allowed to laugh and joke with each other, but at the same time, it’s clearly obvious when you’re being a cunt for the sake of being a cunt. Sometimes... you just have to call a spade a spade, for example, Trump. If it walks like a duck...

Here's the way I see it. I say "oh no, you're too close to me, you're going to bum me like your dad!", because you know, in this example I'm 12, and this is what kids talk like. Its a joke, and would likely get the reply back "Fuck off, your dads the rapist not me". It's all a laugh and a joke and we all have fun and stab each other in the eyes with pencils. You know, kids stuff. This sort of comment>reply shit is common with just about anybody on the planet. You make comments with no basis in reality to get a rise, to have a laugh. No harm in it.

Then... A few weeks later. It turns out that the person in the comment line, well his dads just been arrested for raping kids. Actual, hard ass sticking in there shit.

Now then... We have an issue. Do you keep on laughing and joking with each other, because it was normal the other day? Or do you have a tiny little bit of respect for yourself and others, and maybe, just maybe, stop saying to that one kid his dads going to bum him? Granted these are kids so we know the answer, the kids got no future left. But ok, move the example to adults, because I take the piss about all sorts with my mates, and so do they me.

What in the living hell is this rambling word salad about "rapist dads" supposed to mean? Wtf...

You can tell when somebody talking and conveying emotion. You can also tell when somebody is a sack of shit and is doing it for a VERY specific reason.

No you can't. According to you, the only people who can use this sign in a non-racist manner are people that you're sympathetic to. That's purely subjective in your view and not how it works. If you're that triggered by trolls abusing that sign, they've already won because you've given them what they want... power over your means of expression.

Barnabot

Is there any real evidence of that Ok sign being white supremacist shit or they just pulled it from their own asses because they needed a new enemy?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Christ it’s like talking to the children I used to teach. And they had special needs.

The point I’m making is that you should know when it’s ok to make a joke or do a hand gesture. You just KNOW. On the flip side that should mean you also just KNOW when not to do it. You wouldn’t start telling jokes at a funeral, for example.

Are you honestly telling me this kid, who is a fan of gaming, likely of the right age to know what 4chan is, who likely understands all this more than most, stuck his hand in the air on camera in the background and did this sign.....,, to say he was ok?

Seriously?

MMaRsu

Banned
Is there any real evidence of that Ok sign being white supremacist shit or they just pulled it from their own asses because they needed a new enemy?

Its 4chan attempting to troll the 'left' and ' sjw' and for that they attempted to adopt various existing memes to fit their 'alt right' memes.

Three

No you can't. According to you, the only people who can use this sign in a non-racist manner are people that you're sympathetic to. That's purely subjective in your view and not how it works. If you're that triggered by trolls abusing that sign, they've already won because you've given them what they want... power over your means of expression.
That's not what he is saying though. He is just saying context matters and usually you can tell given the context why somebody is doing something. Not every clinched raised fist means black power, not every OK sign means white power. Given the context and situation you can tell who is doing it for what reason.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

S08fa3g.gif

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Exactly. A few years ago in the uk we had this thing people would do where you held the exact same ok sign up and had to try and make people notice it. It was an up close funny troll, and is still done now idea if it went to other places in the world.

But anyway... it’s the same hand gesture. But you know when it’s done, it’s for that reason. Blindingly obvious.

Shifty

Oh fuck off Blizzard. Quit it with the capitulation to these people that are looking everywhere for something to be offended at.

(Not that I'm super surprised, given this is the same company that patches in sexual orientation for existing characters after-the-fact to please the same subset of loons...)

d96.jpg

The Just Right meme is the most wholesome thing the internet ever made. Have some faith in people.

That's why I pulled myself out of ResetEra. Shit is full os rant everywhere. Say a single word their perfect world does not allow, HAMMER.

The world is getting boring and boring.

Barnabot

Its 4chan attempting to troll the 'left' and ' sjw' and for that they attempted to adopt various existing memes to fit their 'alt right' memes.
So it was a pulled out of one's ass thing anyways. It's just some people can't help themselves let them be mind controlled by someone else.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Of course it was pulled out of somebodies arse, everything is. But now it’s actually adopted, and you get people actively doing it to piss others off. The school shooting bloke who was on trial the other day even did it, and i doubt very much he was telling the world he was “ok”.

Last edited:

Saber

I wonder whats gonna happen when white supremacists adopts almost every sign, reaction or meme as their own.

Everything gonna be banned.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
Just because the origins of the hand gesture were not racist, it doesn't mean its not been adopted as a racist gesture now. It's pretty much seen now as a white power thing. But, like I said... Context. That stupid cow Zina Bash during the Kavanaugh hearings? Racist. Clear as day. It was being done for no reason at times, just because she was on camera. Don't give me the "she was asked a question" stuff either, because that's a one time excuse. You don't sit there with it on your arm for ages. The video above? Racist. Those stupid whitehouse intern on that photo? Racist. These were people that knew about the sign, knew about what it meant on both sides of the fence, and did it anyway. However, Bill Mother Fucking Clinton doing it, or Obama doing it, while talking... Not racist. Why? Because it was done before it was ever seen as a racist symbol, or hell, it was simply just the way they move their hands when talking. Why would Obama be flashing a white power symbol anyway?

Its all about the context, the use and the time. Its nothing about offended leftists, lol (thanks for showing what side of the fence you are btw), its more so about the way once something, no matter how innocent it was beforehand, is adopted for the wrong reasons... You just don't fucking do it. End of story.

This thing has been used in my country has a game before I was even born, if I get you too look when I make the gesture I get to punch you. Kids all around play it, now they're all white supremecists because you idiots say so? Fuck off.

Nobody here sees the gesture and thinks "white power", the only reason you do is because 4chan trolled you into it, by actually getting upset you're just giving them more power.

Last edited:
That's the most stupid of all the re-definitions done by the SJW crowd, I bet the one who had the idea is laughing pretty hard every time it comes up in the news, I mean, it had to be the work of a troll!

This is literally called the OK sigh, has been used as such for as long as I can remember, because some suspcted noenazi used to signify they liked their sandwich doesn't make it a secret call to kill all non Anglo-Saxons of the world (that would include me).

This thing has been used in my country has a game in my country before I was even born, if I get you too look when I make the gesture I get to punch you. Kids all around play it, now they're all white supremecists because you idiots say so? Fuck off.
But you can counter that, if you are fast enough to put a finger through it, then you will get punched! And you have to mark the punch area with a cross gesture!

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
This thing has been used in my country has a game before I was even born, if I get you too look when I make the gesture I get to punch you. Kids all around play it, now they're all white supremecists because you idiots say so? Fuck off.

Where did I say it did...? The mentality of some people lol. I said when it’s done, you know WHY. This mental gymnastics with you people is exhausting.

Leaving the thread and bailing. Clearly can’t have conversations with people who can’t even read. As I said, I don’t go to Gaf for politics, it seems to be far more on the right than I would even deem acceptable. But I certainly don’t go to Era for it, because they are so far to the left it’s comical.

Enjoy the soup.

RedVIper

Banned
Where did I say it did...? The mentality of some people lol. I said when it’s done, you know WHY. This mental gymnastics with you people is exhausting.

Leaving the thread and bailing. Clearly can’t have conversations with people who can’t even read. As I said, I don’t go to Gaf for politics, it seems to be far more on the right than I would even deem acceptable. But I certainly don’t go to Era for it, because they are so far to the left it’s comical.

Enjoy the soup.

So a kid doing it on a E-sports game is a problem because? Maybe hes trolling his friends? People here did it all the time in snapchat, instagram, hell people still do it on tv, I can be watching a football game and some guy will be doing it.

The only reason the symbol is associated with white power, is because you made it so, if 4chan says something and you just ignore it then it goes away, what you're doing just makes it a reality, the more people complain about the symbol the more power it gets, and I don't understand why you want 4chan to be able to decide anything.

I also don't quite understand what me talking about my home country has anything to do with right or left politics.

Three

Nobody here sees the gesture and thinks "white power", the only reason you do is because 4chan trolled you into it, by actually getting upset you're just giving them more power.

And the Swastika is a religious symbol adopted later by you know who. That doesn't mean if I see it graffitied on a wall in some racist part of town I think 'hey some Hindu must have passed here, good on you, praise the sun'. You can draw your own conclusions. You can evaluate the context.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
And the Swastika is a religious symbol adopted later by you know who. That doesn't mean if I see it graffitied on a wall in some racist part of town I think 'hey some Hindu must have passed here, good on you, praise the sun'. You can draw your own conclusions. You can evaluate the context.

Yes because hitler associating with a symbol and killing millions is totally the same as some trolls on the internet claiming that :messenger_ok: means white power.
This is more like going to a Hindu temple, see something that looks like a swastika and start complaining that they're hitler sympathizers.
What's with the you know who thing, this isn't voldemort.

Last edited:

Three

Yes because hitler associating with a symbol and killing millions is totally the same as some trolls on the internet claiming that :messenger_ok: means white power.
This is more like going to a Hindu temple, see something that looks like a swastika and start complaining that they're hitler sympathizers.
What's with the you know who thing, this isn't voldemort.

Because whether it is 'a troll' or not the true idiots have adopted it? School shooting guy being one of them.

Domisto

If people can reclaim the word nigger and buddhists continue to use the manji, I think we can resist a few bro-dudes trying to take the ok sign. This shit is laughable.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
spineless decision.

everyone gets so upset/offended over the most dumb things these days and you have these companies backing down to them.

where does it end?

BTHR Zero X

two different things

06isbs-JAPAN-SY+06isbs_manji_and_sw.jpg

RedVIper

Banned
Nope. Hindus also have the actual swastika.

The name swastika comes from Sanskrit(Devanagari: स्वस्तिक) meaning 'conducive to well being' or 'auspicious'.[7][8] In Hinduism, the symbol with arms pointing clockwise is called swastika, symbolizing surya (sun), prosperity and good luck, while the counterclockwise symbol is called sauvastika, symbolizing night or tantric aspects of Kali.[8]

Im fairly sure he meant that the swastiska and the ok hand sign are two completely different things Adblock blocked the image, ups.

Last edited:
Christ it’s like talking to the children I used to teach. And they had special needs.

Considering your general attitude to fall back on insults rather than arguments because you're quite obviously intolerant to the viewpoint of others, you shouldn't be teaching at all, especially not special needs kids. Your particular view on this hand-sign is the result of a small ideological bubble in the U.S. that keeps getting triggered by an equally small ideological bubble of trolls that get a kick out of it. As for the rest of the world, and the majority of sane people out there who don't spend every waking minute in this petty culture war of yours, it's just an "OK" sign.

The point I’m making is that you should know when it’s ok to make a joke or do a hand gesture. You just KNOW.

You just know? Your appeal to common sense is not even an argument, it's merely a fallacy. But we're the ones that are 'retarded', amirite?

And the Swastika is a religious symbol adopted later by you know who.

Yes because the national symbol of a very real totalitarian regime that was responsible for the systematic eradication of 6 million Jews is totally comparable to a couple of meaningless trolls on 4chan, who just want to rustle the jimmies of a couple of overly sensitive snowflakes that are falling for this sh*t. Get a sense of perspective, man! You are the ones giving these people power, not the other way round.

Last edited:

Three

Yes because the national symbol of a very real totalitarian regime that was responsible for the systematic eradication of 6 million Jews is totally comparable to a couple of meaningless trolls on 4chan, who just want to rustle the jimmies of a couple of overly sensitive snowflakes that are falling for this sh*t. Get a sense of perspective, man! You are the ones giving these people power, not the other way round.
How exactly have I given them power in any way?

I like the fact that we are still pretending it's just some internet trolling.
'Meaningless trolling' that has caught on with the actual crazy white supremacists

https://nypost.com/2019/03/15/suspected-new-zealand-shooter-appears-in-court/

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Please make the peace sign racist next, so millions of Asians will be confused with what to do with their hands in selfies.

Last edited:
How exactly have I given them power in any way?

By acknowledging the meaning that these trolls want you to see behind that hand-sign. And you're falling for it, hook, line and sinker. This is exactly how these minority of trolls want you to react, giving them power over your means of expression.

I like the fact that we are still pretending it's just some internet trolling.
'Meaningless trolling' that has caught on with the actual crazy white supremacists

https://nypost.com/2019/03/15/suspected-new-zealand-shooter-appears-in-court/

First the Nazis, now this. You really like your silly appeals to hyperbole in order to formulate an emotionally laden pseudo-argument. First of all, are you seriously suggesting that the people using that hand-sign are fine with the deeds of the New Zealand shooter? Second of all, the fact that this person used that hand-sign does not make it taboo for everybody else to use it. The New Zealand shooter probably also drank milk, consumed toast and liked certain music, does that imply that all other people who like these things are guilty by association?

Now you're just being silly.

badblue

Gold Member
Spray_Zenyatta_Hand.png

How long till they remove this Spray from the game?

That is not "ok" it's the Jnana Mudra one of the most common hand positions used for meditation.
The thumb represents universal consciousness, while the index finger represents individual consciousness. The unity in this gesture symbolizes the union of the divine self with the individual self, resulting in the transcendence of this world.

Top Bottom