• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch League bans OK sign due to perceived hate group connections

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Seems to me that this gif perfectly embodies 4chan and their MO. The gullible idiots aren't the ones smiling just so that's clear.

Part of me hates them for the trolling because for the next year we'll have the usual circle jerk of people insisting that OK is racist, just like pepe.
Part of me loves them for it because "some people just want to watch the world burn"

If you think 👌is racist you probably need to take a break from the internet and the media

I can respect 4Chan... sometimes. They have actively done more good than most SJWs with their continued persistance in shutting down Pedo rings which is beyond amazing. They also helped create Katawa Shoujo which was a pretty damn good free Visual Novel.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I get that this is pretty ridiculous and all but consider this.

If you're a person who rarely uses the ok sign and you start now just to instigate people...don't be surprised if you're confronted about it, perhaps violently.

I think it's best to just keep doing what you were doing and leave it be. Those people will sort themselves out.

Don't feed into this nonsense.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

If you're a person who rarely uses the ok sign and you start now just to instigate people...don't be surprised if you're confronted about it, perhaps violently.

I think it's best to just keep doing what you were doing and leave it be. Those people will sort themselves out.

If someone tries to act violent towards you for doing the OK handsign, then call the fuckin' cops. That is unacceptable.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If someone tries to act violent towards you for doing the OK handsign, then call the fuckin' cops. That is unacceptable.

Unnacceptable doesn't matter to you, if you're beaten into a coma because you decided to be cute.

Depends on the context...again...if you're doing it to instigate people then don't be surprised...i didn't say don't call the cops.

It's like if somebody walks up to me, starts callin me the N word...I personally wouldn't be violent because I don't allow myself to be triggered like that, but I know a lot of black people who don't have that kind of restraint and will fight you or worse.

I'm just saying, why put yourself in that kinda situation?

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Unnacceptable doesn't matter to you, if you're beaten into a coma because you decided to be cute.

Depends on the context...again...if you're doing it to instigate people then don't be surprised...i didn't say don't call the cops.

It's like if somebody walks up to me, starts callin me the N word...I personally wouldn't be violent because I don't allow myself to be triggered like that, but I know a lot of black people who don't have that kind of restraint and will fight you or worse.

I'm just saying, why put yourself in that kinda situation?

There is no comparison between a phrase that has centuries of hate and disparaging built into it, a term used to denigrate an entire people and a bloody hand sign. Trying to compare the two is mind boggling.

If *anyone* thinks it is okay to attack someone or is triggered over the OK hand sign - they need to be put into a mental ward.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Can we make clapping an alt-right symbol too? America would implode in of itself if clapping were ever banned.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
There is no comparison between a phrase that has centuries of hate and disparaging built into it, a term used to denigrate an entire people and a bloody hand sign. Trying to compare the two is mind boggling.

If *anyone* thinks it is okay to attack someone or is triggered over the OK hand sign - they need to be put into a mental ward.

You'd think that wouldn't you?

I'm saying its not OK in either case to get violent unless it's in self defense.

People get attacked over far less these days. Which is why I would take a no-risk approach to either situation at this point.

Let the fools sort themselves out. I just choose not to participate in these shenanigans.

I think there's an even larger danger though. I fear there will be a "boy cried wolf" situation over things like this...to the point to where new symbolism, whether real or fake, is going to be trivialized by this kinda action. I think there are real symbols/gestures that should be paid attention to and condemned and this kinda allows them to co-exist seemingly covertly.

xGreir

pepenazi-640x400.jpg

Say no more, darling

Psykodad

Banned
Of course it was pulled out of somebodies arse, everything is. But now it’s actually adopted, and you get people actively doing it to piss others off. The school shooting bloke who was on trial the other day even did it, and i doubt very much he was telling the world he was “ok”.
I haven't been following the whole discussion, but are you arguing in favor of or against banning things like the OK sign?

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I haven't been following the whole discussion, but are you arguing in favor of or against banning things like the OK sign?

I’m against banning a lot of things, including this? I’m saying context is key, and people should use their heads to see when something is used for reason A or reason B.

Tesseract

Banned

this is why i conceal carry a pistol

and fucking hell at the GOT EM tweet, what an absolute shit show

Last edited:
In case people are dumb enough to believe this is a white power symbol, 4Chan openly declared they planned to troll progressives on purpose with this hand-symbol all the way back in 2017.

EIynYlD.png

In case you missed it, I will reiterate that last line: "Leftists have dug so deep down into their lunacy. We must force to dig more, until the rest of society ain't going anywhere near that shit", which is what Johnny Silver Johnny Silver pointed out over here (I agree with their assessment).

What an absolute wild ride this thread has been. I remember hearing about this last year when 4chan first started it, but I haven’t heard of it since. Apparently now it’s a globally known hate symbol? That must explain why a) I haven’t heard of it in a year and b) why my oppressed minority wife laughed her ass off when I explained the overwatch situation to her. Some people need to take a break from the internet and look around at what reality actually looks like, because where I’m standing, the average person has no idea the OK sign being a hate symbol is actually happening.

Top Bottom