• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch League bans OK sign due to perceived hate group connections

Whitesnake

Banned
The gesture predates 4chan too.

The gesture does, sure. This supposed new meaning does not.

If it is some crazy elaborate hoax then fine but it is fucking stupid because it gives the actual fuckers plausible deniability at all times. Yo dude I was just flashing it because I'm joking and you're so gullible.

They have deniability regardless. That hand gesture doesn’t mean someone is a white supremacist. This is like saying that because nazis drink water, anyone drinking water on-camera is secretly signalling to nazis.

You were told by some leftist that the okay handgesture means white power, and you believed them without putting any actual thought into it. Now that you’re getting pushback and you’re being asked to provide evidence, you’re getting flustered that your easy out to call people racist is being taken away.

Don't mind that mass murderer he is not one of us we are only showing that symbol to joke about. If that's the case fine but shit is getting real.

I have explained you numerous times that the NZ guy represents no one but himself. You would know that if you read even a bit of his manifesto. He claims to be an eco-terrorist inspired by the Navy Seals copypasta, Candace Owens, and Spyro 3. He said “subscribe to pewdiepie”. Don’t tell me you’re actually dumb enough to take those statements at face value.

I'm not even surprised he was a pewdiepie fan either because he probably saw the clothes he was selling and thought he is one too.

What are you implying?

manfestival

My mind won't be blown because I'm not an idiot and can understand context. The FBI designated some of these groups as 'extremists with ties to white nationalism'. What do you know they all really seem to like the OK sign too must just be their love for 4chan.

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/inside-miami-alt-right-and-proud-boys-chapter-10945821

Like I said it's somewhat obvious when somebody is telling you they are OK and when an actual racist is.
That is a common misconception I hear brought up about the group. A police department made the mistake and took the label away of calling them such a group. However, it got escalated(because that is what people like to do) and the mistake seems to have stuck as a fact. Granted the group did become far worse over time than it's original intent. However, people like to cling to symbols... especially if there is some irony or humor to be attained from it. I imagine the OK sign gets used ironically nowadays by these groups thinking it is stupid that people view it as "racist" and end up validating these stances. The whole thing is just wacky.

I won't read that article as I do not like to support any news publication with the words Times or Fox in it.

I'm not even surprised he was a pewdiepie fan either because he probably saw the clothes he was selling and thought he is one too.

Instead of tiptoeing around the issue at hand, tell us already if the hand-gesture in that video was racist and if Blizzard was right to use that incident as a pretext to ban it from their community. Since it's so really obvious, you shouldn't have a problem answering that question.

Three

Plausible deniability for what exactly? Selfies on Instagram?
Kind of. Of showing their racist connections and promoting racism through a symbol without any consequence because you can freely deny any association with it by saying I was just saying OK.

I mean there are links with the symbol now with real extremists and the people giving the proud boys a platform are people like
Richard Spencer which again might be some big hoax but he is not very welcoming of others and talks about peaceful ethnic cleanising of America.

When does it become real and when is it hey it's all just a big joke and anybody actually shooting or running people over are just not getting the joke.

Last edited:

Three

Instead of tiptoeing around the issue at hand, tell us already if the hand-gesture in that video was racist and if Blizzard was right to use that incident as a pretext to ban it from their community. Since it's so really obvious, you shouldn't have a problem answering that question.
No it isn't racist because I understand the idea of benefit of the doubt. However Blizzard banning it is entirely up to blizzard and it being an online game where being anonymous seems to bring out the racism in everyone if online chat is anything to go by i wouldn't be surprised if a large bunch of idiots where using it with that context hence them removing it. Just to be clear I do not support its removal still.

Last edited:

Iorv3th

What I don't understand with this being turned into a white power symbol as a joke and then the outrage comes and people believe it.

Does nobody here think that Russia might be pulling strings here and playing both sides in order to sew discontent among Americans?

If we believe in russia 'influencing the election' through manipulation of twitter accounts and doing all these other things why are we not weary of them pushing this other agenda as well?

I think this stuff is russian propaganda and i'm not falling for it.

Last edited:
What I don't understand with this being turned into a white power symbol as a joke and then the outrage comes and people believe it.

Does nobody here think that Russia might be pulling strings here and playing both sides in order to sew discontent among Americans?

If we believe in russia 'influencing the election' through manipulation of twitter accounts and doing all these other things why are we not weary of them pushing this other agenda as well?

I think this stuff is russian propaganda and i'm not falling for it.
If a person asks themselves "why should we be divided over this issue?" it's an easy way to sort out the crap from the genuine problems. I think certain ideologues are unwilling to ask that question. The cognitive dissonance would be mind-shattering.

I mean, we're 5 pages in and no one has offered a genuine explanation as to why Blizzard banning it was a reasonable decision. If the inherent racism of the symbol was so obvious, it would have already been pointed out.

No it isn't racist because I understand the idea of benefit of the doubt.

Then what the hell are you doing in this thread where people are discussing this incident and Blizzard's silly attempt at using this to stifle expression? If it's not racist, how can that incident spread racism? This overreaction by Blizzard is exactly what people are criticizing here.

However Blizzard banning it is entirely up to blizzard and it being an online game where being anonymous seems to bring out the racism in everyone if online chat is anything to go by i wouldn't be surprised if a large bunch of idiots where using it with that context hence them removing it.

Assuming that white supremacy is so prevalent among Overwatch gamers and the game's culturally diverse and global audience. Do you have any shred of evidence to back up that grandiose generalization?

Three

Then what the hell are you doing in this thread where people are discussing this incident and Blizzard's silly attempt at using this to stifle expression? If it's not racist, how can that incident spread racism? This overreaction by Blizzard is exactly what people are criticizing here.

Assuming that white supremacy is so prevalent among Overwatch gamers and the game's culturally diverse and global audience. Do you have any shred of evidence to back up that grandiose generalization?
Get lost with the constant question of what I am doing here. I already answered that question you keep asking.

I didn't say I had evidence of anything at all I said I wouldn't be surprised with Blizzard having that evidence judging by how people act in online chats. That is not making a claim of anything. Why do you keep trying to suggest I'm claiming things that I'm not?

Three

The gesture does, sure. This supposed new meaning does not.

They have deniability regardless. That hand gesture doesn’t mean someone is a white supremacist. This is like saying that because nazis drink water, anyone drinking water on-camera is secretly signalling to nazis.

You were told by some leftist that the okay handgesture means white power, and you believed them without putting any actual thought into it. Now that you’re getting pushback and you’re being asked to provide evidence, you’re getting flustered that your easy out to call people racist is being taken away.

I have explained you numerous times that the NZ guy represents no one but himself. You would know that if you read even a bit of his manifesto. He claims to be an eco-terrorist inspired by the Navy Seals copypasta, Candace Owens, and Spyro 3. He said “subscribe to pewdiepie”. Don’t tell me you’re actually dumb enough to take those statements at face value.

What are you implying?
I'm implying that the idiot probably saw the controversy regarding pewdiepies anti-semitism and shit like this and incorrectly thought oh hey he supports me:
https://represent.com/zerodeaths/pewdiepie-limited-edition-zero-deaths-shirt-and-hat

Hence why I am not surprised he said watch pewdiepie.

The idea that every racist fucker like the NZ shooter represents no one but himself can be used for anyone that's posted. it's misguided especially considering they mimick other past terrorists of the same kind and read the stupid manifestos of past killers.

Last edited:
I didn't say I had evidence of anything at all I said I wouldn't be surprised with Blizzard having that evidence judging by how people act in online chats. That is not making a claim of anything. Why do you keep trying to suggest I'm claiming things that I'm not?

So after 3 endless pages of invoking Nazis, mass shooters, Proud Boys and various other boogeymen, you end up admitting that you have no leg to stand on and are only making sh*t up as you go along. The hand sign was not racist, it is not obvious to "just know" and you have no clue whether the Overwatch community is full of white supremacists or not.

People using the :messenger_ok: in chat is in no way indicative of their world-view as evidenced by this very topic.

I'm implying that the idiot probably saw the controversy regarding piediepies anti-semitism and shit like this and incorrectly thought oh hey he supports me...

Yeah and who made up that silly conspiracy? Exactly, gullible fools like you. So congratulations, your silly rhetoric is enabling racism. Maybe it should be deplatformed too...

Kadayi

Banned
tenor.gif
0k9kocr.gif
RG0BS1U.gif
1o5nh4i.gif
:messenger_ok:

Last edited:

OldGamer

Seems like a pretty limited thing so far. The phone emojis are untouched last time I checked. The thing is, it's just too universally known to simply "OK", "alright", or "you're good to go", even in Hollywood direction. It would take something major to really supplant it truly into something evil. Doesn't effect me much because I'm more of a thumbs up guy.

In Overwatch's, I sort of see where they are coming from, but I never associated it with the "OK" gesture, but more with the similar "spicy meatball" gesture, which is really just limited to 4chan culture.

Three

Yeah and who made up that silly conspiracy? Exactly, gullible fools like you. So congratulations, your silly rhetoric is enabling racism. Maybe it should be deplatformed too...
Fuck off. I didn't make any conspiracy up. Surely that's the 4chan you keep mentioning who is actively trying to make that happen and we have at least one idiot who seems to have bought it and used it. You making guesses that hey he is just trying to piss people off is as much a guess as mine saying that individual is using it for that purpose.

Whitesnake

Banned
The idea that every racist fucker like the NZ shooter represents no one but himself can be used for anyone that's posted. it's misguided especially considering they mimick other past terrorists of the same kind and read the stupid manifestos of past killers.

Does he also represent people who are subscribed to Pewdiepie? Does he represent people who care about the ecosystem? Does he represent people who played Spyro 3? Does he represent people who post copypastas?

Are all of those things secret nazi messengers? Are all of those things secrt alt-right propaganda telling people to kill muslims?

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
Fuck off. I didn't make any conspiracy up. Surely that's the 4chan you keep mentioning who is actively trying to make that happen and we have at least one idiot who seems to have bought it and used it. You making guesses that hey he is just trying to piss people off is as much a guess as mine saying that individual is using it for that purpose.

4chan made it up, but you proudly and ignorantly spread it.

Fuck off.

If you think that telling people to "f*ck off" because you can't stand having your pseudo-arguments dismantled, you might not be the right authority on educating us about the meaning of a hand-gesture. In any case, I'd consider a hearty "f*ck off" to be a lot more hateful than this :messenger_ok:. It's funny how the mask of civility slips off once your preconceived notions are challenged.

I didn't make any conspiracy up.

Yet here you are insinuating that PewDiePie is inspiring white supremacists.

Surely that's the 4chan you keep mentioning who is actively trying to make that happen and we have at least one idiot who seems to have bought it and used it.

It's not 4chan who spread the claim that PewDiePie was enabling Nazi ideology, it was the WSJ and people like you who suspect a Nazi under every little rock gobbling that stupid stuff up... just like you're doing now with that hand-sign.

You making guesses that hey he is just trying to piss people off is as much a guess as mine saying that individual is using it for that purpose.

I'm not making any guesses, I simply don't know, which is exactly the reason why I have no issue with this hand-gesture and think that Blizzard and the people defending their decision are jumping the gun. You're the one trying to convince us how this hand-gesture is racist and must be purged from public consciousness by making strenuous allusions.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
I can see the point that since the Christchurch shooter flashed an okay sign (upside-down, btw), that gesture could now be seen as expressing solidarity with the shooter. Maybe a few people even use it that way, though I'm sure the overwhelming majority of people attending a tournament just mean "okay" or "good match" or "hey, ma, I'm on camera."

But @EvilLore is right, we're sinking deeper into Clown World every day.

This is all so ridiculous and says more about the person banning them, than those using it.
The OK sign/Circle Game has been a goddamn meme for the last year, especially on Tik-Tok/Musically:

What do you think a person at an Overwatch event is doing with the hand signal? Secret Nazi Sign? Or stupid normal kids/young adults stuff?

4chan will literally try to troll people by making anything into a hate sign, the media will blow it up and some white nationalists/white supremacists/neo-nazis will likely then use it for further trolling/attention because it's been given power. Stop giving them power.... stop thinking everyone's a nazi like we're in a retread of McCarthyism.

Kadayi

Banned

giphy.gif

Three

If you think that telling people to "f*ck off" because you can't stand having your pseudo-arguments dismantled, you might not be the right authority on educating us about the meaning of a hand-gesture. In any case, I'd consider a hearty "f*ck off" to be a lot more hateful than this :messenger_ok:. It's funny how the mask of civility slips off once your preconceived notions are challenged.

Yet here you are insinuating that PewDiePie is inspiring white supremacists.

It's not 4chan who spread the claim that PewDiePie was enabling Nazi ideology, it was the WSJ and people like you who suspect a Nazi under every little rock who gobbled that stupid stuff up... just like you're doing now with that hand-sign.

I'm not making any guesses, I simply don't know, which is exactly the reason why I have no issue with this hand-gesture and think that Blizzard and the people defending their decision are jumping the gun. You're the one trying to convince us how this hand-gesture is racist and must be purged from public consciousness by making strenuous allusions.
No I told you to fuck off because you don't represent civility. Calling someone a gullible fool or boneheaded is not civility. I only show a lack of respect to you when you show none to me.

I'm talking about the shooter and I can make my own conclusions that when he flashed it it was for a racist purpose you disagree and that's fine. You cannot call me a gullible fool for that conclusion because I can say the same to you for thinking otherwise. still want me to point out that I don't agree with it being banned by blizzard or have you got that now? Since it appears you still haven't. Also I did not call Pewdiepie racist or inciting it. I said the killer incorrectly may have thought he is "one of us" hence promoting him, but keep that hyperbole going.

Last edited:

Arkage

Banned
The OK sign has become a trolling technique for racist-lite types, especially in this context. 4chan trolls want others to think the sign means white power in order to get liberals mad when they then do the sign in a troll attempt, like say, putting it up for no reason during an interview at a videogame competition. They then backpedal and say hey, it's just a joke, be cool. Nah bro, your dumbshit racebaiting trolling has no place in a videogame broadcast.

No I told you to fuck off because you don't represent civility. Calling someone a gullible fool or boneheaded is not civility. I only show a lack of respect to you when you show none to me.

Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade. Besides, I'm not the one overly concerned with the ideological purity of others, like you are. I'd respect you a lot more if you could formulate a cohesive argument instead of flip flopping around like that.

I'm talking about the shooter and I can make my own conclusions that when he flashed it it was for a racist purpose you disagree and that's fine. Do you still want me to point out that I don't agree with it being banned by blizzard or have you got that now? Since it appears you still haven't.

Nobody gives a rat's rear end about the NZ shooter in this topic, because this isn't about him. If you want to discuss that, just go to the relevant topic. If you don't agree with Blizzard banning this hand-gesture then why are you so antagonistic with the people criticizing exactly that? What's the point other than downplaying Blizzard's stupid reaction to this hand-gesture?

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
No I told you to fuck off because you don't represent civility. Calling someone a gullible fool or boneheaded is not civility. I only show a lack of respect to you when you show none to me..

But you are a gullible fool. You took something said at face value and you didn't even have the common sense to pause and think critically about whether what you were being told was actually the case., and now you're just getting mad at people here because you've got egg on your face.

Last edited:

Three

Nobody gives a rat's rear end about the NZ shooter in this topic, because this isn't about him. If you want to discuss that, just go to the relevant topic. If you don't agree with Blizzard banning this hand-gesture then why are you so antagonistic with the people criticizing exactly that? What's the point other than downplaying Blizzard's stupid reaction to this hand-gesture?

I don't know how many times I need to repeat this and how many times you intend to keep asking it while having the answer but I came here, read the discussion and merely said to someone symbols can be appropriated and that context means everything. Are you going to ask again or are we done here?
But you are a gullible fool. You took something said at face value and you didn't even have the common sense to pause and think critically about whether what you were being told was actually the case., and now you're just getting mad at people here because you've got egg on your face.
What did I incorrectly take at face value?

Last edited:
I [...] merely said to someone symbols can be appropriated and that context means everything.

Thanks for telling us this brilliant insight, I'm sure nobody would have known otherwise. And for that it only took you 3 frikkin' pages of invoking various bogeyman only to come up empty handed on the actual focus of this discussion. Yet here you are, head-butting with people telling you that symbols can only be appropriated if you let it happen, by caving in to these silly demands like Blizzard did. Way to go!

Three

Thanks for telling us this brilliant insight, I'm sure nobody would have known otherwise. And for that it only took you 3 frikkin' pages of invoking various bogeyman only to come up empty handed on the actual focus of this discussion. Yet here you are, head-butting with people telling you that symbols can only be appropriated if you let it happen, by caving in to these silly demands like Blizzard did. Way to go!

So is this where you tell me I'm captain obvious again and we pretend we didn't cover this and move on to other subject matters already? Like being asked where was this used outside of the internet hoax and me pointing out the NZ killer flashing it?

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
So is this where you tell me I'm captain obvious again and we pretend we didn't cover this and move on to other subject matters already? Like being asked where was this used outside of the internet hoax and me pointing out the NZ killer flashing it?

I would like to point you still have yet to provide solid evidence that the gesture is tied to white supremacy.

Only fakes still use the OK symbol. We haven't use that at our monthly meetings for over a year now. Gotta keep things fresh.

I'd be careful with gross generalizations like this. I've heard the same kind of thinking before and you wouldn't be in good company.

stickkidsam

Sure, let's listen to the people who call others "human trash" over a hand symbol and ask for bans. They seem reasonable 👌

Saruhashi

Banned
How is 4chan consistently able to get people with stuff like this?

You've got just maybe a handful of internet trolls who are able to conduct these, honestly fascinating, social experiments that plug right into people's susceptibility to mass-hysteria.

You'd think that the first hint of someone complaining about the "OK" symbol would be met with "that's a 4chan troll job you idiot shut the fuck up".
Instead people somehow end up going all in.

I was stunned to find that people didn't know about that game where you look at the circle and you get 2 punches.
We were playing that when we were kids so you are going back to 80s or 90s and all through college.
So I see some guys hand appear and do that sign in the back of an interview on TV I think "haha he got me".
Yet when you explain that to people they just flat out ignore it in favor of going for the outrage. BAN HIM!

Which will surely only encourage people online to try even more elaborate stunts to see what they can get away with.

Pepe the Frog was a spectacular success to the point where Hillary Clinton condemned it publicly and the creator even tried to "kill" Pepe and that became fucking INTERNATIONAL NEWS! A goddamn character from a MySpace cartoon strip!

People fucking gobbled that shit up though and I just don't get why.
Was Pepe in a KKK outfit or Pepe dressed like a Nazi REALLY created and shared by legit KKK members and Nazis or was it trolls having a laugh?

Imagine drawing a wee Hitler mustache on Kirby for a laugh and instead of people going "haha OK" or just ignoring it outright the whole world goes "Kirby is a Nazi hate symbol".

4chan is absolutely running rings around these people and when you try to get them to snap out of it you end up feeling like they just prefer to be outraged.

Domisto

Isn't this a thing because that's how Trump does his hand gestures when he talks?
If that's true, that is the sort of psychology smart trolls use against their victims. Next they'll go after the colour orange. * looks around forum * Damn GAF, not a good look!

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
You can make you points without resorting to tell each other to "fuck off", or other forms of insults. If you need to take a break to cool down, it is encouraged to do so.

Virex

Banned
....................CLOWN.....................
👌🤡👌🤡👌🤡👌🤡👌🤡👌
....................WORLD.....................

Last edited:

CDiggity

Actually the hate group explanation is a cover up. The gesture is three fingers out with the other two making a circle. It is also a gesture for a three pointer, and what happens when you connect three points? You get a triangle. And what do we know consists of a triangle and a circle?
illuminati

Blizzard is Illuminati confirmed, and they are covering it up so they don't get exposed

Or it could be the French hand gesture for "rien", nothing. I dunno.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Seems to me that this gif perfectly embodies 4chan and their MO. The gullible idiots aren't the ones smiling just so that's clear.

Part of me hates them for the trolling because for the next year we'll have the usual circle jerk of people insisting that OK is racist, just like pepe.
Part of me loves them for it because "some people just want to watch the world burn"

If you think 👌is racist you probably need to take a break from the internet and the media

Top Bottom