• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekim

Blizzard should somewhat change the POTG stuff. It's currently only about damage dealt within some seconds, right? There should be a real "most valuable player" thing although the voting at the end somewhat does this job.

Also they should give players an incentive to actually play the objective and win the game. I feel like winning or losing a match doesn't really matter.

Blizzard

Banned
Level 18, got two more pinks, including a skin!

As far as I can tell, 100% of my skins have still been the lowest tier (possibly even the lowest entry in the lowest tier, not sure how it works).

Blizzard should somewhat change the POTG stuff. It's currently only about damage dealt within some seconds, right? There should be a real "most valuable player" thing although the voting at the end somewhat does this job.

Also they should give players an incentive to actually play the objective and win the game. I feel like winning or losing a match doesn't really matter.
This is not correct. Large number of eliminations can do it, since I've done gamewinning Zarya ults and gotten POTG. But large revives can also do it, since I've seen Mercy get POTG.

And why "should" there be? If it depends on player voting, they may just vote for most kills anyway. If it's computer-determined, are you suggesting it should be weighed more heavily towards objective time (which would then punish flanking and sniping classes)?

No, Mercy's get POTG all the time for resurrects, but the system is heavily biased for kills/damage so you see a lot of Reaper Death Blossoms and Bastion left clicks

I think it'd be cool if you could have duo POTG, because its such a team based game. A lot of the time I see the POTG and you can hear "Oh lets break it DOWN" in the background and the guy would've died without Lucio's help

Rokam

I kinda hope some tournaments (or all) have rules like no duplicates on the same team. Really bland to watch these games.

eek5

S76 is my favorite I think. The mechanics are really straight forward and he does pretty good dmg. I'm not great at aim but I can pop out and deal a lot of sustained dmg to everything then run away to heal which is pretty fun.

Mik317

I don't play many FPS because generally most of the time is just me getting headshotted to death all day long but the characters and hype around this was too much for me to not take a look...and well.

this is pretty dang fun. The multi role system allows scrublords like myself to at least look like I am helping which is great. My goal of at least not being the weak link seems reasonable for once. Like for example, I "helped" stop a payload with Mei walls as it was inches away from getting to its destination. I was still getting ganked by Windowmaker (she is my kryptonite for sure lol) but I was "helping" and that feels cool.

Not sure if I am going to be a lifer but this is a great pick up and play type game..which is what I needed. Can't wait to see what characters and modes they add....

Paches

I have got POTG as Mercy for a game ending 3-4 person revive to win the match in the final battle, so it is definitely not just damage. Also, sometimes it will give a title to the POTG at the bottom of the screen like "Sharpshooter" and show a Widowmaker getting 2 insane headshots in a row, etc.

Does anyone know if I can link accounts between PS4 and PC? I've been playing on PS4, but some friends got it on PC and I'm thinking of double dipping to play with them

What a feeling it is when you finally get your first POTG that feels deserved rather than "ok, I did my usual job as Mercy". Nothing impressive by normal standards, but I finally got a multi-freeze ult with Mei where I could land all the final blows.

genji is trash

he needs tracking with those shurikens to be honest--he isn't winning gunfights against most heroes due to the spread

Uhh, no he's not. His left click is really accurate and his right click you use against big dudes. That's not even taking into account his insane mobility and deflect, probably the best skill in the game. As Seagull demonstrates he is probably one of the highest skill ceiling characters as well. 2nd only to McCree as offense.

Sorral

How are you supposed to float and aim with Pharoh on the PS4?

Also, how can you tell if you are starting on offense or defense on the character select screen? Am I just blind and missing it?

If you figure it out, let me know... I've had no luck with her at all.

The jump button let's you float. I swapped my R1 and X(and L2, but I prefer to get a bit more height withy jumps), so I can float easier while keeping my right thumb on the right stick to aim around. So much better this way and now I just kept that layout on all my characters.

You can swap the buttons to anything you like without doing it from the PS4 itself. Thanks Blizzard!

Edit: Announcer says if you are defending or attacking and the start character selection screen says which on the top left corner. Some maps are always on Attack though.

R0ckman

Man sometimes it makes me mad how nobody will pick the required heroes (Lucio/Mercy and Reinhardt/Winston/Zarya. I feel like your team is much worse if a pair of that isn't around so I pretty much consider them "required") so I'm forced to. I mean I want to win but sometimes I also want to practice playing a new hero. Like I just went 5-6 defensive rounds without being able to pick Widowmaker which is a hero I want to get better at. I guess I could just pick her but I hate losing.

You are crazy. Winston's the boss in capture maps.

Winston's usefulness is conditional, he is only as useful as your team is competent. Rampaging on a point does nothing if you're teamates are funneling, too stupid to focus down characters focused on you, or too stupid to move past a choke point and pushing to the objective while the team is distracted with you.

What they really need is a simple story mode to help new players or a death match mode to funnel out morons who just want to kill things.

Kurumi

genji is trash

he needs tracking with those shurikens to be honest--he isn't winning gunfights against most heroes due to the spread

I'm sry what? Those are fighting words right there my friend.

On another note I got the abominable skin for Mei this morning! So happy.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I saw a Mercy POTG in which she finished off a Junkrat ultimate and two other players with her pistol.

POTG indeed.

Mercy's pistol and D.Va's pistol are both great weapons. Aim for the head and you'll get kills. They're extremely accurate

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The jump button let's you float. I swapped my R1 and X, so I can float easier while keeping my right thumb on the right stick to aim around. So much better this way and now I just kept that layout on all my characters.

You can swap the buttons to anything you like without doing it from the PS4 itself. Thanks Blizzard!

Edit: Announcer says if you are defending or attacking and the start character selection screen says which on the top left corner. Some maps are always on Attack though.

...or you could read the gigantic attack / defense letters in the background on the character screen (if its a attack/defense map obviously)

ekim

Playing as D.va without here Mech can be pretty rewarding. You are hard to hit and people don't really care about you and don't see you as a threat. I got a noticeable amount of kills with just her pistol by finishing off already hurt players. Lots of tanks included.

Here is my personal ranking of characters so far:
1. Junkrat. Just so much fun to get behind the enemy and mowing Reinharts and everyone he is shielding down. Also great for zoning by blind firing and clearing near turrets and bastions around a corner.

2. D.va. Her shotgun isn't really that powerful but once you get near with her you can cause a lot of trouble for the enemy. but you need a team that covers you. Also the thing I wrote above. Very versatile char and the ultimate is just so good to travel the last inch of the payload of the last few % when capturing a point. Great zoning.

3. Genji. I'm still learning to play him but the fast movement and double jumps/climbing are so much fun. I don't feel like he should play for the objective primarily but he can do a lot of good work by clearing snipers or at least distract them. Deflect is on of the best E-abilities in the game imho

ekim

Btw: I will probably start using voice chat with this game. I never heard voices though on the XB1 version. Do have to turn it on?

This always happens. As someone who plays a lot of MOBA and fighting games, nothing is funnier then someone obviously trying to ape a famous skilled player
At least they're worth laughs!

I watched this guy repeatedly trying to climb a building and shoot yesterday and I almost died (in the game!) laughing because of how ridiculous his spin shots were.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Fucking lol at that minute and half long seagul genji match

nOoblet16

In fairness, Seagull is just a beast.

He's also unfortunately spawned a thousand morons trying to copy his Hanzo play.

You mean Genji.

I believe it's just people who try to learn him and then they realise he is one of the hardest characters to play as along (and the hardest attacker to play as by quite some margin) with Zenyatta and then they move on when they die too much (game itself rates his difficulty level 3 along with Zenyatta, Hanzo and Zarya, these four are the only 3 star difficulty characters, others are lower) .

It takes a lot of time to be able to do something good with genji against a decent team, since the Bastion deflect and shuriken sniping while standing at one place doesn't work against players who know what they are doing.

Rhaknar

You mean Genji.

I believe it's just people who try to learn him and then they realise he is one of the hardest characters to play as along with Zenyatta and then they move on when they die too much (game itself rates his difficulty level 3 along with Zenyatta and Zarya, these three are the only 3 star difficulty characters, others are lower) .

It takes a lot of time to be able to do something good with genji against a decent team, since the Bastion deflect and shuriken sniping while standing at one place doesn't work against players who know what they are doing.

He means Hanzo. Before the Genji video there was a Hanzo video with a Mercy buffing him and him sniping away like he's motherfucking Green Arrow

this video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom