• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

Good work on the OP, The OT came out of nowhere. LET DO THIS.
iHFYjyz.gif

KarmaCow

Meh, those two are easy pickings as well for Mei (just predict Tracer's rewind point and icecube the hook). McCree scares the hell out of me though.

Tracer still has 3 blinks to get distance where Mei is effectively unable to do anything. Roadhog has a fuckton of health + fast heal and the hook recharges fast. 1v1, if they lose it's because they fucked up badly.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Finally, can't wait to dig into this game.

nOoblet16

Tracer still has 3 blinks to get distance where Mei is effectively unable to do anything. Roadhog has a fuckton of health + fast heal and the hook recharges fast. 1v1, if they lose it's because they fucked up badly.

Mei has an easier time against Roadhog than him against her, because of how big and slow he is. Because of his size her icicles can easily hit him even when he is on the move, she can also immediately go to cryo freeze in the slight delay Roadhog has right after hooking someone. Then there's the wall. He can heal but that's actually when he's the most vulnerable against Mei.

I actually have never lost to a Roadhog as Mei but I've killed plenty.

DasFool

That's like all she can do though. 1v1.

Let's break it down:

- She can wall off corridors and entryways with a barrier that has more health than Reinhardt's shield.
- She has a self-heal that makes her impervious to damage. It is better than both Roadhog and Bastion's self-heal AND lasts longer than Zarya's target barrier (you know, the character whose abilities are making barriers). This will also BLOCK enemies' progress on objectives. There is no way to damage this or move it.
- Her freeze takes way too little time to complete. Even dashing around as Tracer, it felt impossible to escape.
- She has both freezing AND sniping capabilities.
- Her ultimate is stronger than most other characters. Not only is it AoE, it freezes AND damages all characters within AND lasts longer than Zarya's.

I like the balance in this game, but Mei is just the stick in the mud who I always found grossly overpowered.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Mei can potentially one-shot a Tracer with a full icicle to the head, her encounters with Tracer and Reaper are down to individual skill. McCree can go High Noon himself however.

Let's break it down:

- She can wall off corridors and entryways with a barrier that has more health than Reinhardt's shield.
- She has a self-heal that makes her impervious to damage. It is better than both Roadhog and Bastion's self-heal AND lasts longer than Zarya's target barrier (you know, the character whose abilities are making barriers). This will also BLOCK enemies' progress on objectives. There is no way to damage this or move it.
- Her freeze takes way too little time to complete. Even dashing around as Tracer, it felt impossible to escape.
- Her ultimate is stronger than most other characters. Not only is it AoE, it freezes AND damages all characters within AND lasts longer than Zarya's.

I like the balance in this game, but Mei is just the stick in the mud who I always found grossly overpowered.

Self-heal isn't as useful as it is on paper. It makes the Mei into an immobile and a highly predictable target. Unless you chain it into a wall and escape afterwards, it's very easy to land a headshot or a bomb and you'll be none the better unless you use it to prolong the point contest.
The ice barrier IIRC has 500 HP. That's far less than Reinhardt's shield.
The icicle having no range falloff is probably the only real problem.

I really hope this game has a long-lasting player count on PS4. I just hope it can survive the fall onslaught of FPS games and people like the value what they're getting for and not complain about a lack of single player like with Titanfall and Battlefront.

Trago

Fucking. In.

I'm ready to start working on my Mercy. Gotta work on my support game. And of course more Mei.

What are you guys' expectations on longevity?

Depends on new content. If it stays the way it is for more than a few months, I think you'll start seeing the playerbase disperse, but if the updates come quicker and stay consistently good? Could be years and years.

edit: lol at the "dead on consoles" posts. Because no console game has ever outlasted its' PC equivalent.

Great job on the OT, Dance Inferno.

Really itching to play more Lucio, Mercy, Roadhog, and Reinhardt.

and buy all the lootboxes if that goes live in the game tomorrow

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
30GB? But the beta was 6-7GB and that was apparently the whole game.

What am i missing?

Ozium

Let's break it down:

no lies detected

remove her from the game

ZServ

Let's break it down:

When I say this, I say it coming from a place of assumption, which isn't the greatest strategy. So, if I say something stupid, call me out on it.

If you feel Mei is overpowered, play her. The ult does do damage, but not a GREAT amount. Also, I'm not positive, but while it does advance the freeze, it will (almost) never freeze someone solid who was 100% thawed beforehand (in my experience anyway, I'm not the most skilled).

Her AOE gun is VERY close quarters, her hitbox is large because of the jacket, and out-sniping a sniper will very much be a skill based kind of thing due to the inherent nature of it. I don't really feel that Mei is overpowered at all, truth be told. If she is, I find her overpowered in the same way that Soldier 76 is. I have been WRECKED by some 76s.

If you've played her and still come to those conclusions, then, my apologies, we just see things differently then.

Zomba13

Hope I get good rolls on my early level loot. In the open beta I got some nice skins like Young Genji. Hope I don't get a rare skin for one I don't like using like how I got the fancy work uniform for Symettra in my last box.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Overwatch is really popular in Japan, so I'm hoping here in the East we'll be seeing a long term interest in the game.

Some part of me wants this thread to have more pages than the Battleborn thread before the servers go live. Like some kind of final humiliation before Blizzard eats the rest of BBs lunch.

Got Tuesday off from work to play all day and normally have Wednesdays off. Can't wait.

If only I could be so lucky. Was basically in the same situation as you but when I go to put in for it my company declares that no one can take days off anymore until August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom