• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch: Year of the Rooster Event is live (Jan 24th - Feb 13), has CTF Brawl

Arthos

Got a duplicate of the D.Va skin in my last box. Might buy the Ana one, might not.

Overall not a bad event. I did buy loot boxes (I had 2 WoW tokens that I converted to $15 each) but nothing I regret.

Zomba13

Want to grind out my last loot boxed via arcade before event ends AND OF COURSE I get shitty team mates so I'm getting gold medals on the losing team for hours.

Only thing I was missing that I wanted was D.va's bow emote and Tracer's Rose skin. Got the emote with my last box (and got the trophy for having 50 items). Only had to spend gold on Tracer's skin and one D.va spray. Successful event for me.

KanameYuuki

One last Arcade win to get all my last box for the event, I will open 5 in total, Hope I can get D.Va's skin so I can use gold on something else.

Zomba13

Seriously, I can't FUCKING WIN at these stupid arcade brawls. My only friend who plays the game and is halfway decent refuses to play them with me and also hates cosmetic stuff and only plays competetive and everyone else I have on my list are just randoms that add me and then we never play again.

All I want is the fucking free loot boxes. Christ, why do people not know how to play these stupid modes. Why do people just main Hanzo and then just mash keys when forced to play a support.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
All I want is the fucking free loot boxes. Christ, why do people not know how to play these stupid modes. Why do people just main Hanzo and then just mash keys when forced to play a support.
I have best luck in CTF when playing Torb. Use smart turret placement so it is far back and also covers flank angles.

If there is no aggressive capture enemy (D.va, Winston, Tracer) and no Widow or Pharah blowing up your turret from a mile a way, move out with your team and stay on the back line or flank killing the shit out of stuff with headshots (or secondary fire if a tank rushes in close) and pumping out armor packs. If you do well enough, the enemy should all be too scared to leave, and then perhaps you'll get a point. From there you can bounce between armorer support and full defense recon.

You'll still get teams that have terrible aim or are too chicken to move in even when 4 of the enemy just died and you're already at their base, but you'll also get teams that are good enough to know how to use the benefits you're bringing. I win almost every time in Control Tower but the other two are toss ups.

Zomba13

I have best luck in CTF when playing Torb. Use smart turret placement so it is far back and also covers flank angles.

If there is no aggressive capture enemy (D.va, Winston, Tracer) and no Widow or Pharah blowing up your turret from a mile a way, move out with your team and stay on the back line or flank killing the shit out of stuff with headshots (or secondary fire if a tank rushes in close) and pumping out armor packs. If you do well enough, the enemy should all be too scared to leave, and then perhaps you'll get a point. From there you can bounce between armorer support and full defense recon.

You'll still get teams that have terrible aim or are too chicken to move in even when 4 of the enemy just died and you're already at their base, but you'll also get teams that are good enough to know how to use the benefits you're bringing. I win almost every time in Control Tower but the other two are toss ups.

Doing CTF either has us losing if I don't pick a defender or tieing if we do. 3v3 is really a mode where you need a team to coordinate picks and strategy, 1v1 isn't there right now, mystery heroes is a coin flip, No limits is just old QP and the Brawl selection is just giving me endless mystery heroes because obviously I misclicked these massive buttons and the game knows I really want mystery heroes.

I just want the fun, quick, stupid modes to play. Like the one with all Reins or other quick, stupid ones so I can grind out these loot boxes while the event is up but people seem to play worse than normal when outside their single main character.

Didn't get shit outside of the Roadhog skin. Bought Ana's and Junkrat's since I couldn't afford a legendary with coins.

Definitely the worst event for me in terms of getting anything.

Dice

Team comp isn't built to win AT ALL so I have to play D.va. Everyone is at their flag. I use ult to kill 4 of them and destroy all sentries and the turret, but myself die.... my team never moves in because 2 of enemies are still alive.

Call me when your balls drop, randoms.

I'm going to blame you for torbs building outside the door in control center. 😑
D.va + Mei ice wall. Best counter.

Dice

Sorry, that's the part I'm referring to. Everyone does it and it's instantly countered :p That chokepoint was made for blocking off.
Well I very rarely see it get countered. It's more common for a sniper to use quick pop outs to work it down.

I think I'm gonna pass on trying to get my 3rd arcade win for tonight though because my teams have been astoundingly terrible. I guess lunar D.va isn't in the cards for me.

Kalentan

Fuck 3v3. I swear my teams always can't finish it. We get to 2 to 0 and then the enemy team wins the next 3. Every. Fucking. Time.

LiK

Omg, can't even win in CTF. Got matched with a 5 stack and they're horrible. You'd think they would be able to play better together.

Zekes!

Spent $20 on loot boxes and got a bunch of shitty ones. Ended with more than enough gold to buy Wukong for Winston, so now I have all 4 of the Journey to West skins. Got Mei's red skin, Symmetra, Mercy, and Bastion during from loot boxes during the event. I'm happy.

Kalentan

After spending nearly 2 hours trying to get 1 win in 3v3 in hopes of getting the D.VA Skin... I got 3 commons and 1 rare. If I had a disc... I would snap it right about now.

Zrmi

Neo Member
Grinded about 50 boxes from level 0. I got some awesome skins but not the two I wanted :( I was hoping for Reinhardt Wujing and Roadhog Bajie. Only got too 1700 coins so I couldn't buy one of them also. So yeah this kinda sucks!

The event skins I got are:

- D.va Palanquin
- Junkrat Firework
- Tracer Rose
- Winston Wukong
- Ana Tal
- Zenyatta Sanzang

Omg, can't even win in CTF. Got matched with a 5 stack and they're horrible. You'd think they would be able to play better together.

If I ever get paired with a 5 stack I back out, 9 out of 10 times its a group of friends having fun against better players.

I bought Roadhog's skin with my 3k credits on Sunday, since I was busy all day Monday and didn't think it'd close so late. Come back home on Tuesday, got 4 loot boxes from arcade, and boom, Roadhog duplicate... T_T

Guess I should be happy I got two of the same instead of buying it too late.

Bubble

Neo Member
I buy the new Mercy POTG animation because I thought the event was over, only to find it was still going. I got one more loot box and what did I get? The same Mercy POTG.

Are you for real right now?!

SirNinja

Got every skin except D.Va's...that one just eluded me no matter what. Great event though. I like that it lasted past the weekly reset, giving everyone another chance to get more bonus boxes from the arcade.

I earned like nine boxes during the event, and the only event skin I got was Fireworks Junkrat. I did get it twice though, in all of the game's RNG kindness. It feels petty, but that terrible luck kind of put me off the game. I haven't touched the game in the past few days, and I have no real drive to turn it back on.

They don't need to add the ability to buy all skins with real cash, just ones for time-sensitive events.

I could see that working; the Origins Edition is more or less this scenario.
I'm certainly not defending anything about the loot system - it'll take thousands of hours to unlock everything without spending real money, and that's BEFORE taking into account situations like these. Even the 3x price on time-limited stuff is gross.

For me, though, that same aversion to spending real money still wouldn't get me to budge, but sure, the option would be nice.

Being able to buy the time-limited content is a good start, though, and they'll probably keep moving that way in the future.

I buy the new Mercy POTG animation because I thought the event was over, only to find it was still going. I got one more loot box and what did I get? The same Mercy POTG.

Are you for real right now?!

Thankfully I managed to buy some of the stuff I wanted at the last moment. Had to play till like 3AM though, ugh...

the RNG and salt are real. :(

Yes, because Blizzard willingly does it to take people's money. This is crap that makes business sense in a free to play game, not a paid product.

Ending up buying around 45 boxes with actual money total for the event.

Probably got another 16 through arcade weekly and lvling. So out of approximately 60 boxes I got.

Legendary:
Winston
Zenyattax2
Reinhardt

Didn't get either mei skin nor Roadhog and spent 3k gold on the D.Va one.

For epics I pretty much got everything except the symmetra and tracer skin.

I'm actually slightly bummed with what I got for the amount of money I spent. Seems like I got way more out of less for Winter Veil.

I got all the Lunar skins except for Reinhardt, red Mei and Tracer.
The last one I really wanted was Bastion, which I got in a box on the last day, and I purchased D.va 's skin with credits. I've most of the victory poses and stuff as well. Only ones of those I missed are Tracer's and Roadhog's intros. Can't complain.

I think in total I grinded about 40 levels plus free boxes from arcade and such. Didn't spend a dime.

Top Bottom