• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch: Year of the Rooster Event is live (Jan 24th - Feb 13), has CTF Brawl

1upsuper

Had some gold saved up so I bought D.Va's skin as well as Bastion's and Mercy's. Now I'm totally out of gold, which makes me nervous. I'm always afraid the next event will be better than the last.

I got both Mei's legendaries, 2 legendary coin chests and 3 legendaries non related to the event. Feels bad man :(

All I wanted was Zenyatta or D.va's skin.

EDIT: GOT ZENYATTA, GG BLIZZARD

Yukinari

I agree that RNG seems to be a lot tougher this time around. I bought 50 boxes and levelled up about ten times and ended up with Symmetra, D.va x2, Reinhardt, Zenyatta, Winston, Junkrat and Ana. I bought Tracer and Bastion's skins, too, because they're so damn pretty. I must say, Ana's skin is my favourite. I seemed to get quite a few more non-event legendaries this time around compared to past events, too.

I realised next year (obviously) isn't a rooster year, which means Bastion's skin might be exclusive to 2017 (or, well, Rooster years), so I felt a sudden urge to grab it.

The events are named stuff like Lunar Event or Summer Games. Its very vague naming which means theyll probably bring back all the skins but make them harder to get.

I'm still irked that I never got one of the Summer Games skins for Lucio along with the Summer Games voice line for Genji. They had better be available to get again. AND be purchasable.

Ricitor

Caved and bought 11 Boxes (was debating for the 24 but went for the lesser of two evils). Walked away with Roadhog and Winston. With that it tallies up to 4 along with Zenyatta and Bastion for Lunar skins.

I am so close to getting that complete Journey to the West set. Got about 2 more for the weekly drops and should get a level so I hope it is there.

WhyMe6

The events are named stuff like Lunar Event or Summer Games. Its very vague naming which means theyll probably bring back all the skins but make them harder to get.

Right, but this one is specifically called "Year of the Rooster" and Bastion has a rooster skin, which makes me paranoid that maybe it won't return next year in favour of a cute puppy one.

Got Winston, Mei (Luna), Ana, and Tracer skins from boxes. Ponied up the gold for Zenyatta's. Tracer and Zen were the ones I was after so a somewhat successful event for me, especially since I got mostly jack and shit from the other events.

mollipen

They def fucked with the RNG after the LNY patch dropped. Yellows were easier to get before. Can't help but feel they want more money from people like me who can't play as much as I want to.

I bought 24 + 5 loot boxes and my yellow count was two. Two. In 29 boxes. :|

opricnik

Banned
I got ana,dva,mei(red),roadhog costumes got dva duplicate again. Also have tracer highlight which is useless considering i cant play her. And bunch of dragon,logo etc

Yukinari

They def fucked with the RNG after the LNY patch dropped. Yellows were easier to get before. Can't help but feel they want more money from people like me who can't play as much as I want to.

This was pretty apparent when they changed how EXP worked and still havent fixed the credit amount that event dupes give you. Getting 200 credits for a dupe worth 3000 is insanity.

MUnited83

For you.

Yeah. Every other event I was able to basically get almost everything I had any interest in. In this one I had one single skin drop (Winston), and only a couple of emotes/highlight intros.

T_V_H

I bought 11 boxes twice and 5 once, I think I got all of the skins but Mei's. Still, spending money for skins, what's wrong with me? :/

Purchased 24 boxes and only 3 lunar new year skins including DVA

R3qfY18.jpg

I got every skin except for the ones I wanted (Junkrat skin, his end pose with the firecracker in his mouth, and some other thing I forget right now).

Oh wait, I never got Mei. Which I guess is okay I rarely use her anyway.

Wondering what the next event will be.

cuilan

Bought 11 more lootboxes and got a couple more legendaries, and again none of them were D.Va's skin. To add insult to injury, I'm still 200 credits short of being able to buy it outright.

I finally grinded for enough gold to get the DVa skin. Even got Bastion's skin in the nick of time.
Fuck you Blizzard, I didn't have to pay for your gambling boxes after all.

A while back I said I wasn't going to buy any more lootboxes, but I was a little shy of 3000 coins, and decided that since Blizzard have been doing a good job of adding content to the game, I could justify the purchase that way. I bought 11 boxes, and I now have the event skins for Mei (Red), D. Va, Ana, Bastion, Reinhardt and Symmetra.

I now have event skins for all characters except Lucio, Pharah, Genji, and Widowmaker. I'm annoyed I spent coins on Mei's Christmas skin instead of Lucio's, since Mei then got another almost immediately after.

Got Zen, Roadhog and Tracer. I would've liked Mei, but I think these events are losing their appeal because I've barely played compared to other events and I don't even want to spent money a little bit.

cuilan

After spending $30 on lootboxes, I finally accumulated enough credits to buy D.Va's event skin, and now I feel somewhat ashamed of myself. It turns out I could have gotten enough credits by only spending $25, but I wanted to play it safe. Still, that's $25 more than I would have liked to have spent.

So in the end, I got event skins for:

D.Va
Mei (both)
Zenyatta
Symmetra
Junkrat
Bastion

Plus a bunch of non-event skins.

So sad to see people dropping so much money on crates to HOPE they get the item they want.

How has this become acceptable in the gaming community?

Devs making a mug out of their players and most people keep asking for more punishment. Sad.

In terms of the event, I thought this was the weakest yet. CTF isn't very fun and the changes to the maps/outfits weren't as cool. Definitely no Halloween.

Camjo-Z

Didn't really care about most of the event stuff I got this time around, but I had enough gold for Junkrat and Bastion's skins (which are all I really wanted anyway) with 3000 to spare for the next event. Pretty good overall I'd say.

Mendrox

So sad to see people dropping so much money on crates to HOPE they get the item they want.

Devs making a mug out of their players and most people keep asking for more punishment. Sad.

In terms of the event, I thought this was the weakest yet. CTF isn't very fun and the changes to the maps/outfits weren't as cool. Definitely no Halloween.

I don't mind (first time bought boxes) cause every update in the future is for free too and content costs money and I gladly support this game after playing it for over 300 hours. Doesn't feel that unfair to me.

cuilan

I kind of agree. It's mostly my fault for not playing at the start of the event. I also decided to make an exception this time due to D.Va being my favorite character, and this being my favorite of all her skins so far.

LiK

The want outweighs the logic. I am guilty.

jax

Banned
I got nearly every skin. The girlfriend got literally 0. We play the same amount and got the same number of levels. I even grinded like 8 boxes out in the last day for her.

Her account just won't get any skins. It's like broken or something.

LiK

I got nearly every skin. The girlfriend got literally 0. We play the same amount and got the same number of levels. I even grinded like 8 boxes out in the last day for her.

Her account just won't get any skins. It's like broken or something.

Blizzard is telling you to buy her loot boxes as an early V-Day present.

I've said it before but there needs to be some government regulation on random loot boxes because they're essentially gambling at the moment. At least show us some damn percentages.
But yeah this event was a bust. Lower drop rate for good stuff, worst implementation of CTF in a video game to date, etc
But hey I finally prestiged during this event so that's something I guess.

Grisby

Managed to get rein, Ana, and zenyattas skins. Got way too many skins for them though and I wish I would have received a Winston one or something.

Got Tracers highlight and had to buy Meis Luna skin with gold, but I got them.

I guess the next event will probably be the return of the summer games.

a harpy

I've said it before but there needs to be some government regulation on random loot boxes because they're essentially gambling at the moment. At least show us some damn percentages.
But yeah this event was a bust. Lower drop rate for good stuff, worst implementation of CTF in a video game to date, etc
But hey I finally prestiged during this event so that's something I guess.

I'm still annoyed that we can get non-event legendaries during the event. I've opened well over 20 boxes and I've gotten a single vanilla legendary and no others.

In an odd twist of human emotions, it leaves me feeling more bitter about the game than if there was no event at all.

I've resigned myself to never give Blizz money for lootboxes again after buying $20 worth during Christmas event and only getting the legendary emote for Zarya. I wish I could have just bought the Tracer skin for $15.

PMS341

Got all the skins but Mei's or Zen's. Still rocking the Nutcracker skin from the last event, and I have 0 playtime as Mei anyways, so I'm not too worried. I mostly wanted the D.va skin, which I got in my last loot box, so I consider it a success. Shame about CTF though.

I
I've resigned myself to never give Blizz money for lootboxes again after buying $20 worth during Christmas event and only getting the legendary emote for Zarya. I wish I could have just bought the Tracer skin for $15.

Im not sure how long you played, but if you played long enough for 15$ you should get enough coins from lootboxes (dupes) to buy the Tracer skin. Its just 750.

is it bad i spent credits on Bastion's skin just for the rooster?

I spent all my 9700 coins on skins and stuff and the only one missing is Zenyatta. So its not bad ;)

a harpy

Im not sure how long you played, but if you played long enough for 15$ you should get enough coins from lootboxes (dupes) to buy the Tracer skin. Its just 750.

I spent all my 9700 coins on skins and stuff and the only one missing is Zenyatta. So its not bad ;)

Oh, I was talking about the Xmas event legendary for her. I eventually did end up grinding the rest of the coins I needed to buy it for 3000.

I hate limited time events in games, it makes you feel obligated to play them resulting in a burn out. It is nice that it's only cosmetics though.

I got Mei's red skin 3 times but no Rein, Hog, or Dva. Anyone know if the event ends before the free arcade box thing resets?

I hate limited time events in games, it makes you feel obligated to play them resulting in a burn out. It is nice that it's only cosmetics though.

I got Mei's red skin 3 times but no Rein, Hog, or Dva. Anyone know if the event ends before the free arcade box thing resets?

It should end with the timer of the arcade box.

Top Bottom