• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch: Year of the Rooster Event is live (Jan 24th - Feb 13), has CTF Brawl

So it's officially over now or will I have one more chance to grind arcade boxes when I get home? I never got a mei or D.va skin, but I did get a lot of cool ones so I am not going to put down money like I did for Christmas.

Got Mercy, Zen and red-Mei,

I was done for yesterday and bought Tracer.
Decided to go for one more. Got Rein.

Well, party is over, so I bought Ana and Tracer's Highlight
But hey, just got Rein, in the last day, after a whole week with nothing? Maybe odds are better in the last day.

One more!
Got Rein and Tracer in the last one. =/
Too bad, this would give the final gold for Dva

Since I can't really play today, the event is practically finished for me.
I couldn't play much during this event, just two weekends so I had limited boxes.

I bought Mercy's skin and Highlight intro with gold, along with sprays and all her other stuff (as I only got her spray from boxes) From about 15 boxes I got:

- Winston Wukong
- Red Mei (I don't remember the name)
- Junkrat's skin
- Bastion's skin

Way, way better than what I got during Halloween (only got Junkenstein), but I got way more from the Christmas event (Got Tracer about four times and the only skin I missed was Yeti Winston).

Disappointed I didn't get D.Va from the loot box. Luckily, I had enough credits from dupes to buy the skin.
I managed to get skins for Mercy, Winston, Bastion, Zen, Symmetra, Ana, and both of Mei's.

Didn't get Tracer's highlight, but it was no big deal this time.

sh1fty

Didn't do too bad considering I mainly just played 3v3 during this event for the loot boxes.

Ended up with the Zenyatta, Mei, Reinhardt, Mercy and Junkrat skins. The Zenyatta one was the only one I really wanted so I'm happy.

Exile20

Well I got Winston, Bastion, White/purple Mei, Mercy, Zen, Tracer, sym and Ana.

I bought Junkrat, Dva and some emotes and sprays.

Mendrox

I've said it before but there needs to be some government regulation on random loot boxes because they're essentially gambling at the moment. At least show us some damn percentages.
But yeah this event was a bust. Lower drop rate for good stuff, worst implementation of CTF in a video game to date, etc
But hey I finally prestiged during this event so that's something I guess.

There is...in korea. :) Blizzard is forced to show the percentages of winning some loot there afaik (it's a bit new)

They really should allow you to straight up buy skins for time-sensitive events.

Like, after the event ends? The only event you couldn't do that for was the Summer Games event. It sucked. (Also, the Origins edition stuff, I guess. And technically, the HotS stuff.)

It also kinda sucks that it's 3 times the price of the equivalent rarity tier, but hey.

Edit:
I mean buy with money. So instead of opening up boxes, I would just buy the D.VA Skin for $5 ~ $10.

Oh, I super don't want to do that.

Edit2: Particularly since that definitely assigns a value of ($5 - $10) / 3000 credits, creating a currency of 300-600OWC per USD. (I had to come up with OWC [Overwatch Credits], and even that felt dirty. Let's not create an exchange rate, is my point.)

JP_

Banned
So, lots of talk about loot boxes, but any thoughts on the CTF mode? Wondering what people think about it. I was only able to play it a few times.

So, lots of talk about loot boxes, but any thoughts on the CTF mode? Wondering what people think about it. I was only able to play it a few times.

I like the idea of the game having a CTF mode, but they need to rework it so that you can only capture a flag if your flag is still at your base, and you can't put turrets or traps within a certain radius of the flag. So Symmetra can cover the chokes for example, but she can't put 6 turrets directly on the flag itself.

Most defend strats were focused on Sym turrets (though that's the current meta, of course).

The maps were wildly different in terms of flag carry distance. On the short map, where the route was largely interior, Mei walls were super effective. (Sombra teleports with the flag seemed MAD effective, but I think I only saw this once? I might be wrong in thinking this is possible?)

The mode might be better with just the one flag shared between both teams, more of a tug-of-war.

High-speed classes are obviously preferred as carriers.

Flag capture time (and the interrupt from damage taken) is kind of weird: a good Rein / D.Va right-click will block all front-facing damage, allowing for an easy flag pick-up, though any flanking damage / damage from behind ruins this.

In conclusion, it's not SUPER balanced, but the most obvious way to balance it would be to tweak the main game's balance fairly significantly. Option B would be to cancel all ultimates for the flag-carrier, or maybe even all special abilities. It's hard.

Kalentan

Oh, I super don't want to do that.

Edit2: Particularly since that definitely assigns a value of ($5 - $10) / 3000 credits, creating a currency of 300-600OWC per USD. (I had to come up with OWC [Overwatch Credits], and even that felt dirty. Let's not create an exchange rate, is my point.)

It's far better. I don't see how making people spend even more for a chance at getting a skin is better than merely assigning a value to it.

Seriously, time-sensitive skins you can only get through loot boxes is supremely shitty. At least something like League of Legends usually has the ability to get event skins from loot boxes AND from buying them out right.

They don't need to add the ability to buy all skins with real cash, just ones for time-sensitive events.

Severance

I played a ton this event and even got my 9 wins in arcade every week. All I had to show for it is the Junkrat skin. I finally convinced myself to drop $10 for 11 boxes because there's a bunch of skins I want, and I cleaned house. I lucked out with Mercy, Symmetra, both Mei skins, Tracer and Zenyatta. I nabbed everything I wanted except D. Va, but it's all good. I don't play much D. Va anyway. It's like Blizz is trying to tell me something.. play less and buy more?

Atolm

I've got everything I wanted aside from Roadhog, Reinhardt and Zenyatta. No biggie since for those characters specifically I like more other skins like Horuyatta or Shark Roadhog anyway.

What hurted the most were the 2 duped D.Va and one duped Mei. They should give 500g at least. 200 for what costs 3.000 is ridiculous.

Game hates me. Had to buy my dva skin and still couldn't get any of the mei skins.

At least I gotten my mercy highlight intro so it's not a complete loss.

No idea if I'll make the weekly arcade goals before the event is over, so I went ahead and bought the Mei skin I was missing last night. Even if it's still going by the time I get out of class, I'll probably just save the arcade lootboxes for tomorrow, and do some quickplay. All that said, I really enjoyed the Year of the Rooster event! Aside from CTF (which I wasn't expecting much from in the first place), Blizzard did a good job with it.

iosa

In my possible last box and after almost 2 weeks (and close to 30 boxes) without a skin, I finally got one and it's D.Va.

So 6 earned skins (D.Va, Zenyatta, Winston, Mercy and Ana) and 1 bought (Tracer) in ~50 boxes

Lagamorph

Every Capture the flag match I played ended in a draw. Not once did anyone even once capture the flag, let alone get it back to their base. Just seemed like a drawn out match of attrition every single time that never really got any fun.

No idea why people were wanting such a mode in the game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Oh, so when they say it ends today, they meant after today? I guess I'll get another box...

I need to buy some boxes to either luck into the new Zenyatta or get the last 300 coins I need.

Curse you, Blizzard.

I did get Roadhog, Mercy, Junkrat, Symmetra, Tracer and others, though. The Tracer highlight intro. D.Va's bow. It was a pretty good haul.

I just really want that Zen. (And Rein, but that's not gonna happen.)

Every Capture the flag match I played ended in a draw. Not once did anyone even once capture the flag, let alone get it back to their base. Just seemed like a drawn out match of attrition every single time that never really got any fun.

No idea why people were wanting such a mode in the game.
In a lot of matches, people just turtle in their base and don't attack as a group. You need to have the whole group attack and get the flag including the base defenders need to help push for the flag. Hopefully more experience will make the mode better.

maouvin

Got zero event skins on my 16 boxes (all by playing). My reasonable 6 legendaries were 2x coins and 4 dupes.
Grabbed Zen's with coins and that's it for the event.

OmegaX

Got like 20-something free boxes and bought 50 but I didn't get the D.Va skin. Fortunately, I had just enough coins to buy it.

SoldnerKei

Got Mei, D.va, Mercy, Winston and Junkrat on pc... got almost nothing on console, whelp, seems like I should just switch to PC altogether P:

Zenyatta
Tracer
Ana
Mercy
Junkrat
Bastion
Mei red
Mei White
Tracer Intro
Mercy intro

_______

Pretty good event for me, just like the Christmas one. Feels good after getting close to nothing in the Summer and Halloween events.

Hobbes211

They need to tweak what you can and can't do when you're carrying the flag. A lot of the matches I played were a rush on the flag and just a turtlefest for the rest of the game. You either had to go all 6 of you at the flag to maybe capture it before they did the same thing to you. It's a neat mode, but I don't want to see it as part of the main game type rotation.

The first event where I didn't spend any cash on loot boxes. I feel...............free.

I just had to accept the fact that I'm not getting the D.Va skin.

The legendaries drop rate was pretty good for me. Can't remember exactly what was my level when the event started, but assuming I gained 60-70 levels, 1 free box, first win CTF, 9 from arcade, that's around 70-80 boxes. In those I got:

Event:
Winston
Roadhog x3
Mei "red" x2
Mei "white"
Zen

Regular:
currency
Genji
Dva
Torb

And I'm probably forgetting a couple. That's around 1 gold drop per 6-7 boxes. Hopefully the event doesn't end before the arcade resets, I want the D.Va and Rein skins. Not enough to spend 3000 curency though.

Maligna

Banned
The first event where I didn't spend any cash on loot boxes. I feel...............free.

I just had to accept the fact that I'm not getting the D.Va skin.

I got it in a random loot box (of maybe 10 I opened through regular level ups during the entire event), and the funny thing is I don't even like it. Wish I could gift it to you!

mollipen

I just received a blessing from the RNGoddess like I can't believe.

I knew I wasn't going to have much time to play the event—yet there was a lot of stuff I wanted in this one—so I bought 25 boxes. Mercy skin was about all I got that I cared about. Another 5, got Tracer skin. Earned about 10 boxes more through playing, still almost nothing. Still wanted/needed Mei legendary, D.Va legendary, Mercy intro, Mercy voice line, and two main Mercy sprays. Knew I didn't have close to enough credits for all of that.

Went against my better judgement and bought one final group of 11 boxes—and got every single one of those things. I just couldn't believe how many of the things I was wanting were showing up. Only downside is I got Mei's Chang'e skin instead of the Lunar one, but I'll live.

jediyoshi

aXsmJ1d.png

kill me now

Firebrand

Legendaries: Mei (red), Zenyatta, D.Va, Roadhog,
Epics: Mercy, Bastion, Ana, Symmetra, Roadhog intro, Mei emote

Bought 5 boxes, that had junk in them.

Then bought Winston + Tracer skins. Kinda wish I had gotten the Mercy intro but I had no Tracer skins.

Top Bottom