• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oxford student spared jail after stabbing boyfriend had two other assault charges.

g11

I blame the writers of Luther for reminding professional, white ladies they can pretty much get away with murder if they are sufficiently attractive.

/s

10 months suspended sentence for stabbing. Jesus. That'll really teach her!

I blame the writers of Luther for reminding professional, white ladies they can pretty much get away with murder if they are sufficiently attractive.

/s

10 months suspended sentence for stabbing. Jesus. That'll really teach her!

But we have to be careful we don't harm her career prospects

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
That’s some bullshit. But not surprising. Privilege is a real thing, and “open and shut” cases like this highlight that fact pretty clearly to me.

She’s dangerous, and will probably assault her future partners as well.

gun_haver

I think I had a different reaction to this when the story first came out, but I just saw the update and yeah this is a pretty sickening case of privilege, racism and sexism inherent in a justice system that can apparently just deem certain people's crimes not worthy of jail if they are white, rich, educated and possibly young and female enough for the judge. I'm not the type to advocate for prison unless it seem seems necessary - I'm not even saying she deserves it - but it's unbelievably unfair and only serves to delegitimise the UK's justice system if this kind of thing is allowed to go on.

Most kinds of people would not have gotten anything like this kind of treatment. Just pretty disgusting all around.

Mahonay

Banned
Man, attractive white women can get away with anything.
Attractive white men get away with a lot too.

But yeah, already voiced my opinion about this when it first happened. People who still insist white privilege doesn't exist are racist as far as I'm concerned. Or just insanely dense.

Ri'Orius

Attractive white men get away with a lot too.

But yeah, already voiced my opinion about this when it first happened. People who still insist white privilege doesn't exist are racist as far as I'm concerned. Or just insanely dense.

Statistically, black women get lighter sentences than white men. The criminal justice system is one of the few places where there's strong female privilege.

Mahonay

Banned
Statistically, black women get lighter sentences than white men. The criminal justice system is one of the few places where there's strong female privilege.
Really? That is really surprising to me if true.

When I think about, female criminals do appear to be treated more lightly I suppose.

Considering how lopsided the rest of the world is towards men, it's hard for me to be too upset about it.

Top Bottom