• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Student who stabbed boyfriend may avoid jail as it would ‘damage her career’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

Man this thread got weird.

As for her being white doesn't help her out comments:

tenor.gif

If you live in the UK and think racism towards POC isn't much of a thing you are just blind to it.

Errr many studies also state your more likely to get harsher punishments as minority as those in the same income class.

What even is your arguement here? It makes no logical sense.

If those studies also show that greater than 50% of the time, everyone receives similar punishments regardless of race, then it's more rational to assume that race played no factor in this decision than the statistically less probable situation. I don't have the studies handy so I genuinely don't know what it says about the total data.

Trojan X

Banned
I'm not entirely against the judge's decision. Discrimation you face with a criminal record is no joke, and without all the details of the case (who provided access the the drugs, who instigated the fight) who's to say the judge didn't make a verdict you'd agree with? This student's whole life shouldn't be determined by one tiny sexy mistake she made.

giphy.gif

I am perfectly fine with this ruling. No previous history, first time offender and under influence of drugs. The fact she is white is irrelevant, a POC in the UK under the same circumstances, would have received similar treatment. The legal system is far less about punishment in other non American western countries, and is more about what is of the best benefit to society as a whole. Sure because she was more well off she could have afforded better legal representation(perhaps she didn't, as one of the more surprising things about this case to me is the lack of name suppression), but even court assigned lawyer would have been competent here.
What UK do you live in where POC are treated as well as white people? Cause I want to live in this post-racism UKtopia.

Log4Girlz

I finally made it through med school
Somehow I made it through
I'm just an intern
I still make a mistake or two

I was last in my class
Barely passed at the institute
Now I'm trying to avoid, yah I'm trying to avoid
A malpractice suit

Hey, like a surgeon
Cuttin' for the very first time

Man this thread got weird.

As for her being white doesn't help her out comments:

If you live in the UK and think racism towards POC isn't much of a thing you are just blind to it.

The racism deniers sure do enjoy pointing to Poles, etc and saying the UK isn't racist because it hates white people too.

I've seen that one trotted out with regularity since Brexit.

justjohn

Europeans still pretending as if racism is only an American thing and hoping we haven't noticed far right parties making huge gains all over the continent. Your smug days are over so please quit it.

Dazza

I'm not saying UK is racism free(which of course it isn't), I just don't think it was a factor in this case.

There really aren't any other first world countries that have similarly messed up justice system like the US

Chinner

Banned
Europeans still pretending as if racism is only an American thing and hoping we haven't noticed far right parties making huge gains all over the continent. Your smug days are over so please quit it.
The UK has rejected European values. If a unhinged, we're a mini US.

Tagyhag

I'm not saying UK is racism free(which of course it isn't), I just don't think it was a factor in this case.

There really aren't any other first world countries that have similarly messed up justice system like the US

The US justice system is indeed fucked up, but assuming that race doesn't play a part in the UK when it comes to some legal issues? Come on now.

This is the same country that allowed Brexit to happen right?

The US justice system is indeed fucked up, but assuming that race doesn't play a part in the UK when it comes to some legal issues? Come on now.

This is the same country that allowed Brexit to happen right?

People will then defend Brexit that the Polish were also targeted!

Even though posters about Brexit had imagery like this.

9b0dab20514e4f629643f00e451eff0f_18.jpg

Chris1

So first time offender under the influence and with a bread knife?

I don't really see the issue, jail time seems a bit much to me.. she didn't know what she was doing and the intent wasn't to kill going by the knife used.

Article doesn't say too much so maybe it was worse than it sounds but that's where I'm standing ATM

PnCIa

Imagine: Guy, early 20s, muslim parents, on his way to become a car mechanic, stabbed someone with a knife.

I am sure no judge would want to damage that career, would not want to take away someones future. ( :-/ )

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Well if she is such a genius she may win a nobel price due to her scientific achievements wouldn't it be better for society if she was convicted and consequently was forced to go into research rather than becoming a surgeon? Points in favour of this:
- as a surgeon, she will rescue at most one person a day, with some groundbreaking reasearch, she instead might save millions
- there are way more people who can become good surgeons than brilliant researchers truly advancing their fields
- a truly outstandinginly brilliant mind probably is not absolutely required for becoming a good surgeon
- for great research results, it is no problem if she cannot control her hands properly due to withdrawal from her drugs
So, shouldn't the judge in turn convict her for long enough that she cannot become a surgeon but still not so long that her career as a researcher is in serious trouble?

Imagine: Guy, early 20s, muslim parents, on his way to become a car mechanic, stabbed someone with a knife.

I am sure no judge would want to damage that career, would not want to take away someones future. ( :-/ )

Why car mechanic ? It could be heart surgeon like this girl and you can bet he'd make some jail time.
Heck it could also be a girl with muslim parents, bet you it'd be jail too.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why car mechanic ? It could be heart surgeon like this girl and you can bet he'd make some jail time.
Heck it could also be a girl with muslim parents, bet you it'd be jail too.

Also they're probably radical islamic terrorists.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

To be fair, the argument goes a tiny bit further than just her personal career, with a hint of "the greater good", because she is supposed to be an exceptionally clever person. If Stephen Hawkins was convicted for a serious crime, I'd think it would be more reasonable to argue he should still be able to continue his research over a car mechanic continuing doing surgeries on cars.

I don't really see the issue, jail time seems a bit much to me.. she didn't know what she was doing and the intent wasn't to kill going by the knife used.

Article doesn't say too much so maybe it was worse than it sounds but that's where I'm standing ATM

I wonder how your opinion would look like had the culprit been the boyfriend and the victim the girl.

Man with legit mental health issues use bread knife in attack and is charged with attempted murder...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/08/leytonstone-knife-attack-man-convicted-of-attempted

Woman uses bread knife along with other items to attack boyfriend...let's let her off. She didn't mean any harm.

PnCIa

To be fair, the argument goes a tiny bit further than just her personal career, with a hint of "the greater good", because she is supposed to be an exceptionally clever person. If Stephen Hawkins was convicted for a serious crime, I'd think it would be more reasonable to argue he should still be able to continue his research over a car mechanic continuing doing surgeries on cars.
Good George Orwell had this to say:

"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others."

Sure there is a point regarding the greater good, it should not be an excuse though. Its bad enough that society values some jobs more than others, in the end most of them are indispensable.

Alienfan

I know women statically get shorter prison sentences than men, but to serve no time in prison for stabbing someone? What

She must have a good lawyer

VegiHam

This thread is really interesting. I didn't realise how much the rest of the world was unaware of the UKs hideous and systemic system of class biases.

Guys, it's like this okay: all that stuff you've been saying about racism and white privilege? It's all true and correct. But in addition to that, we have classism. If she'd been a white girl with equally rich parents but grew up in Wolverhampton with an accent; and was studying at Manchester Met and not Oxford; she would be significantly more likely to face repercussions. It is also true that she's not get away with this if she were black man. But it's not exactly the same as the US, and it isn't helpful to treat it as though it is.

Morat

Banned
This thread is really interesting. I didn't realise how much the rest of the world was unaware of the UKs hideous and systemic system of class biases.

Guys, it's like this okay: all that stuff you've been saying about racism and white privilege? It's all true and correct. But in addition to that, we have classism. If she'd been a white girl with equally rich parents but grew up in Wolverhampton with an accent; and was studying at Manchester Met and not Oxford; she would be significantly more likely to face repercussions. It is also true that she's not get away with this if she were black man. But it's not exactly the same as the US, and it isn't helpful to treat it as though it is.

This is accurate. On top of other biases, the UK class system is a strange beast.

Monocle

An attractive upper class white girl? Yeah, she's playing life on easy mode.

Please tell me you're joking here. Please.

If not, let's get into it.

First, if you don't want a criminal record, you don't do criminal shit. Doctors get their licenses and work taken away for MUCH less than violent assault. Especially here in the UK, where doctors can get away with very little. There is a whole lot of accountability thanks to NICE and NHS governing bodies.

Second, she's a grown woman. She accepted the alcohol and drugs. If someone else instigated the fight, that would have been brought up in the court proceedings. But it hasn't. It sounds unprovoked here on the part of the boyfriend. We go by the evidence given, and you making up hypotheticals is useless and comes across as a blind defence of her until new information is brought up that supports your case.

Third, "tiny sexy mistake"? WTF are you saying?! What do you mean by these three words? You're calling someone stabbing a person in the leg which could've been fatal (considering the femoral artery is right there and is one the largest arteries in the body) not only a "tiny" mistake but also a "sexy" one? What does that even mean, how can someone being stabbed and violently assaulted be considered "sexy"? What was the purpose of your post of putting up a picture of her, wherever you found it from? To get more sympathy? To show she's pretty?
lol

It's not about money either. Money and race feed into class but if this girl had a regional accent she's going down no matter what colour she is or hoe much money she has.
You honestly think they? This is the UK, I understand Americans jumping in with 'must be white' because that's relative to how it works in their society (not that racial bias doesnt exist in the U.K.) however honestly this is definitely a class issue, it's nothing to do with accent but to do with an intelligent Oxford student. If someone poorly educated or from a poor background does something then 'shit, must be malicious' but because she's Oxford educated they're like 'well, she can't be all bad! Not like poor people who commit crime.' I won't make definite claims about the judge's history but given the overwhelming odds he's likely not from a poor background and is certainly well educated so he can identify with her more than a poor person which also helps her case.

Maledict

UK courts have, like almost every western country, a significant bias against black defendants with regards to sentencing. I can dig out the numbers from my presentation a few mo the ago on this topic, but you are far more likely to be sent to prison and given a harsher sentence as a black man than you are a white man for the same crime. This disproportionality is even greater for black women. Racial inequality exists at every stage of the British criminal justice system:

- more likely to be stopped by the police
- more likely to be charged by the crown prosecution service
- more likely to receive a custodial sentence by a court
- less access to training and rehabilitation programmes in prison
- less access to rehabilitation programs and support by probation when released on license

It is not a small disparity either. That's why David Lammy MP is reviewing the entire CJS for inequality.

VegiHam

Now imagine if the culprit was a black male.

Just out of interest, are we imagining a black male Oxford educated medical student stabbed his girlfriend? Or are we literally swapping her out for a black man; in which case he's be stabbing his boyfriend?

I mean he's going to jail either way, because we're still a racist country. But I feel like being gay making it better or worse is going to depend entirely on what judge you get.

Maledict

I know women statically get shorter prison sentences than men, but to serve no time in prison for stabbing someone? What

She must have a good lawyer

I'm just going to point out that whilst women might get shorter prison sentences than men, that's usually because they have mitigating factors - the majority of women who commit violent crimes that lead to prison sentences are usually also victims of violent crime (sexual assault, domestic violence, rape etc).

The criminal justice system utterly fails female offenders - its built for, and around, men, as they are by far the largest offenders. The Corsten report identified this back in 2007 - the system does not work for women. That's why the Mayor of London is pushing hard for female specific offender programs etc.

Women might get shorter sentences, but they are served worse by the prison system than men (which is slightly worrying given the state of our prisons overall!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom