• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Student who stabbed boyfriend may avoid jail as it would ‘damage her career’

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Eh, she should have been punished, but if she's as talented as others seem to think she is, she should also not be stopped from pursuing her career. Highly talented surgeons are more important to society than the feeling of justice some might get from banning her from practicing medicine.

Beefy

Eh, she should have been punished, but if she's as talented as others seem to think she is, she should also not be stopped from pursuing her career. Highly talented surgeons are more important to society than the feeling of justice some might get from banning her from practicing medicine.

No one is saying ban her from medicine. What is being said is she deserves prison time.

She's convicted, right? So it's still going to show up in a background check. No surgical training program is going to accept her. Judge is naive to think deferring jail time would actually change that.

Some of you acting like she's one a kind, irreplaceable help to society are hilarious.

Like I said, I'd support all humans with extraordinary potential.

I believe in second chances.

And I believe that second chances are effective after the one if question has learnt a lesson.

Beefy

Only white people get away with shit, apparently. Can't be posting articles of Muslim's getting away for doing arguably worse than the girl in OP did

Coming across as petty isn't a good look. Also you do get *Muslim's aren't a race right?

Bold One

Only white people get away with shit, apparently. Can't be posting articles of Muslim's getting away for doing arguably worse than the girl in OP did

go on...

9UI8uiX.gif

Indeed, I am not arguing that.

So it's ok for someone to run somebody over as long as the driver is intelligent and rich and the pedestrian isn't is what you're saying? Cause it kinda sounds like you basically consider poor people as little more than a squirrel in the road.

E92 M3

So it's ok for someone to run somebody over as long as the driver is intelligent and rich and the pedestrian isn't is what you're saying? Cause it kinda sounds like you basically consider poor people as little more than a squirrel in the road.

Nice hyperbole, bro. Please engage in conversation again when you have something of substance to offer.

Nice hyperbole, bro. Please engage in conversation again when you have something of substance to offer.

Well you basically said it's the same as a drunk driver did you not? You also said you give priority to her because she was studying as a surgeon and generally to people with prospects like that? Show me where I'm wrong.

Lister

Banned
:: sigh:: life would be so much easier if only I had been born a pretty white girl with rich parents....

tumblr_of7cd2fzY81um6yufo1_500.gif

Dice//

Banned
Definitely dislike how generally, to all, having a criminal record will fuck you over for future careers. Definitely should not avoid jail time either.

...Justice systems suck.

Guess context doesn't matter to you guys. From what I'm reading, she seems to have had a troubled past and an abusing boyfriend. Besides that, it seems like she had a clean record going into this as well, if not a history of outstanding citizenship. And who knows, maybe she showed true remorse as well. But I guess that doesn't mean anything. This isn't a person we're talking about here after all, it's a representation of an entire demographic. She should have been sentenced because she's female, pretty and white, seeing as how we think a minority or lesser well off person would have been sentenced to jail by some other judge for having attacked someone with a bread knife in some drunken rage.

Beefy

Guess context doesn't matter to you guys. From what I'm reading, she seems to have had a troubled past and an abusing boyfriend. Besides that, it seems like she had a clean record going into this as well. And who knows, maybe she showed true remorse as well. But I guess that doesn't mean anything. This isn't a person we're talking about here after all, it's a representation of an entire demographic. She should have been sentenced because she's female, pretty and white, seeing as how we think a minority or lesser well off person would have been sentenced to jail by some other judge for having attacked someone with a bread knife in some drunken rage.

I was sexually abused as a kid, you don't see me getting high on drugs and stabbing people. She always wasn't just drunk. She stabbed a guy and deserves jail time.

I was sexually abused as a kid, you don't see me taking my anger out on people. She always wasn't just drunk.
Doesn't mean that it isn't an extenuating circumstance.

Besides, all it says is that she stabbed the guy. Nothing said about the severity, let alone what the guy did to her. But I guess that's all irrelevant information to you.

I assume she had some damn good representation to get off with such a slap on the wrist. The article doesn't specify the charges or even if she pled guilty or was found guilty through trial. You cant infer much about her through this article either, but leaving the conviction in her record might impede her career. I dunno, I don't see justice here. I see a plea deal that benefits the accusor and trashes the victim.

Like I said, I'd support all humans with extraordinary potential.

I believe in second chances.

This is extremely naive.

Plenty of people lower down the social strata have troubled backgrounds and the lower down you go the prevalent it is. And yet sentences don't seem to reflect that. Some kid from an estate is getting zero credit for being knocked around if he goes and stabs someone.

Beefy

Besides, all it says is that she stabbed the guy. Nothing said about the severity, let alone what the guy did to her. But I guess that's all irrelevant information to you.

You can't let people that have had messed up lives get away with stabbing people off with just a slap on the wrist. Her past may have lead her to go off the rails, but it didn't lead her to stabbing a dude. She chose to do it while under the influence of drugs,so deserves to do time

It would have said if she was provoked, that is the point in a article.

Prosecutor Cathy Olliver said Woodward met her ex-boyfriend on Tinder.

The pair had a row, and when he threatened to call Woodward's mother, his then-girlfriend punched him before picking up a bread knife and stabbing him in the leg.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/16/oxford-student-spared-jail-extraordinary-talent/

Shit he threatened to phone her mum, damn he deserved to get stabbed...

You can't let people that have had messed up lives get away with stabbing people off with just a slap on the wrist. Her past may have lead her to go off the rails, but it didn't lead her to stabbing a dude. She chose to do it while under the influence of drugs,so deserves to do time.

All it says is that she stabbed the guy. Nothing said about the severity, let alone what the guy did to her. But I guess that's all irrelevant information to you.

Iorv3th

Guess context doesn't matter to you guys. From what I'm reading, she seems to have had a troubled past and an abusing boyfriend. Besides that, it seems like she had a clean record going into this as well, if not a history of outstanding citizenship. And who knows, maybe she showed true remorse as well. But I guess that doesn't mean anything. This isn't a person we're talking about here after all, it's a representation of an entire demographic. She should have been sentenced because she's female, pretty and white, seeing as how we think a minority or lesser well off person would have been sentenced to jail by some other judge for having attacked someone with a bread knife in some drunken rage.

Context matters to determine if it was in self defense or not. If it wasn't in self defense no matter her background, she still stabbed someone and committed a crime.

She doesn't have to serve a year or something but she should serve some time. Even if she just had to go in on weekends or something.

Beefy

All it says is that she stabbed the guy. Nothing said about the severity, let alone what the guy did to her. But I guess that's all irrelevant information to you.

Like to just repeat the same line over and over?

Context matters to determine if it was in self defense or not. If it wasn't in self defense no matter her background, she still stabbed someone and committed a crime.

She doesn't have to serve a year or something but she should serve some time. Even if she just had to go in on weekends or something.

Read my update. He provoked her by threatening to call her mum...

Beefy

Back off, you didn't reply to that part of my previous post when I made this one.

You were the person questioning the victim in this. It wasn't hard to find a article that said what happened. Maybe before trying to blame the victim next time you look it up. Victim blaming isn't a good thing.

Like I said, if he had started it the first article would have said.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I don't actually care about jail time, I'm not a fan of jail in the first place - what bothers me is that she is explicitly getting special treatment, treatment that someone in a different ethnicity, career, class or combination of all three would not be provided. It's that inconsistency that irks me - everyone has the opportunity to give back to society in entirely unpredictable ways, and prison can severely detriment that chance. For anyone, not just her

Evidently it was determined that that wasn't what she deserved. Like Maledict said previously, articles like these are hardly ever reliable, and all of the sudden people are gonna act as if we not only can determine a person's personality through it, but that we also can determine the correct judicial decision about an occurrence we know maybe half a paragraph of details from.

This is basically a witch-hunt if you ask me. Mind you, a witch-hunt that comes from the right place. But a witch-hunt regardless. You don't fix the uneven treatment of minorities and the poor by punishing more people.

You were the person questioning the victim in this. It wasn't hard to find a article that said what happened. Maybe before trying to blame the victim next time you look it up. Victim blaming isn't a good thing.

Like I said, if he had started it the first article would have said.

That's not necessarily the case. Beside, we still don't know the severity of the wound. And again, we basically know jack-shit about the case in its entirety.

Beefy

That's not necessarily the case. Beside, we still don't know the severity of the wound. And again, we basically know jack-shit about the case in its entirety.

Read the article it says it all,she even accepted what was said. They both got drugged up then started arguing and he threatened to phone her mum, so she smacked him in the face. She grabbed a knife and stabbed him in the leg. She then threw a laptop and some other shit at him. It doesn't matter how bad the wound is , she attacked him with a knife with the intent to harm. This is no witch hunt, the girl deserves to serve time.

Unbounded

She stabbed someone with a fucking butter knife. Regardless of how serious the wound was you would have to basically be trying to kill someone for that to happen.

Read the article it says it all,she even accepted what was said. They both got drugged up then started arguing, she then smacked him in the face and he threatened to phone her mum. She grabbed a knife and slashed at him but missed, so she then stabbed him in the leg. She then threw a laptop and some other shit at him. It doesn't matter how bad the wound is , she attacked him with a knife with the intent to harm. This is no witch hunt, the girl deserves to serve time.

It really doesn't. A quick summary for the press does not constitute "it all", I don't know what to tell ya.

Here's the thing you seem to be completely missing out on. Whatever she did, it deserves a fitting punishment. HEAVY emphasis on fitting. If she would have to go to jail for a couple of months or whatever, and that would have been that, then that would be completely fine. But that's not what would happen. The entire career she worked for, while being a completely upstanding citizen, for YEARS would be basically down the drain. That is not a fitting punishment. I'm sure that if the crime would have been more severe (and this is where the severity thing comes in by the way, which in fact is relevant), like maybe she stabbed the guy multiple times, or he's now an invalid due to her attack, then maybe the judge would have found it more prudent to put her into prison, regardless of the consequences.

And yeah, she's rich, white, a pretty girl, privileged, whatever. And maybe it's unfair towards you and all poor people and minorities that she's treated more correctly than them. In fact, it is unfair. But that doesn't mean that she needs to be treated unfairly, and have her life completely altered due to a single mistake. That seems incredibly and utterly vindictive of you, and not just or even-handed in the slightest. I feel lame for going there, but what if she were a minority? Would you have even questioned it?

Besides, she's not your enemy. She seems to be working towards something to aid society in some sort of measurable way. Her and her situation is not the thing you should be getting up in arms about.

Beefy

It really doesn't. A quick summary for the press does not constitute "it all", I don't know what to tell ya.

Here's the thing you seem to be completely missing out on. Whatever she did, it deserves a fitting punishment. HEAVY emphasis on fitting. If she would have to go to jail for a couple of months or whatever, and that would have been that, then that would be completely fine. But that's not what would happen. The entire career she worked for, while being a completely upstanding citizen, for YEARS would be basically down the drain. That is not a fitting punishment. I'm sure that if the crime would have been more severe (and this is where the severity thing comes in by the way, which in fact is relevant), like maybe she stabbed the guy multiple times, or he's now an invalid due to her attack, then maybe the judge would have found it more prudent to put her into prison.

And yeah, she's rich, white, a pretty girl, privileged, whatever. And maybe it's unfair towards you and all poor people and minorities that she's treated more correctly than them. In fact, it is unfair. But that doesn't mean that she needs to be treated unfairly, and have her life completely altered due to a single mistake. That seems incredibly and utterly vindictive of you, and not just or even-handed in the slightest.

Stabbing some one isn't a mistake. I am not saying I want her career to be messed up, what I am saying is she deserves prison time. It's what I have been saying all the time. It's not my fault employers look down on people that get drugged out their head and then stab people. What are you even on about with the enemy stuff? I saw a person getting away with a crime and posted it.

Reckheim

Here's the thing you seem to be completely missing out on. Whatever she did, it deserves a fitting punishment. HEAVY emphasis on fitting. If she would have to go to jail for a couple of months or whatever, and that would have been that, then that would be completely fine. But that's not what would happen. The entire career she worked for, while being a completely upstanding citizen, for YEARS would be basically down the drain. That is not a fitting punishment. I'm sure that if the crime would have been more severe (and this is where the severity thing comes in by the way, which in fact is relevant), like maybe she stabbed the guy multiple times, or he's now an invalid due to her attack, then maybe the judge would have found it more prudent to put her into prison, regardless of the consequences.

And yeah, she's rich, white, a pretty girl, privileged, whatever. And maybe it's unfair towards you and all poor people and minorities that she's treated more correctly than them. In fact, it is unfair. But that doesn't mean that she needs to be treated unfairly, and have her life completely altered due to a single mistake. That seems incredibly and utterly vindictive of you, and not just or even-handed in the slightest. I feel lame for going there, but what if she were a minority? Would you have even questioned it?

Besides, she's not your enemy. She seems to be working towards something to aid society in some sort of measurable way. Her and her situation is not the thing you should be getting up in arms about.

What do you suggest is a Fair punishment for stabbing someone?

Stabbing some one isn't a mistake. I am not saying I want her career to be messed up, what I am saying is she deserves prison time.

Thankfully, the judge recognized that a prison sentence would have inevitably lead to that, and deemed it an unfit punishment. He made the right decision in instead trying to redeem this person, and set her back on the path that she was on for the past 7 years, which is dedicating her life to helping other people.

What do you suggest is a Fair punishment for stabbing someone?

I'm not a judge, and unlike some other people in here, I'm not going to deign to question a person who actually is one simply based on a daily mail article. I'm instead just going to defer to the person who gave the actual sentence, and accept his judgement.

Beefy

Thankfully, the judge recognized that a prison sentence would have inevitably lead to that, and deemed it an unfit punishment. He made the right decision in instead trying to redeem this person, and set her back on the path that she was on for the past 7 years, which is dedicating her life to helping other people.

And thankfully the judge is being called out for giving her a light sentence. It doesn't matter if she wants to help people in the future, this is the present were she stabbed and attacked a guy. Judges have been wrong in the past and will be wrong in the future.

daviyoung

Banned
My main problem is that the judge basically said 'under other circumstance you'll be in jail but because I like you I'll let you off.'

What kind of justice system is that?

If she was sentenced to jail there probably wouldn't be a story. If she was just given this as her final ruling there probably wouldn't be a story.

It's the arbitrary reasoning that is the problem. This is a clear example of the judge being the final arbiter of what constitutes a good society.

Falchion

There's no more rules!! But seriously what the hell? I'm all for second chances and some leniency, but not a complete lack of consequences for someone just because of their career path.

Yeoman

At least we can take solace in the fact that anyone that Googles her name from now until the end of her life will immediately be greeted by all of these charming news articles.
Her career is borderline dead now anyway.

Beefy

At least we can take solace in the fact that anyone that Googles her name from now until the end of her life will immediately be greeted by all of these charming news articles.

Sadly she can ask for Google to delete them due to a EU rule.

WhatNXt

It's not vindictive to expect people to be treated equally in the eyes of the law.

Yes, if the leniency and consideration of long-term life consequences were extended to non-rich people of all colours and creeds outside of Oxford - perhaps we would be having a different conversation, but that's not how Britain is and that's not the real world. Her wealth (likely of money as well as professional opportunity) shouldn't entitle her to more lenient treatment than anyone else. Full stop.

Stabbing someone is a serious crime and should be treated as such. Again, that is a reasonable position to take. The law should not be entirely dispassionate, but it should be even handed in stamping out and deterring violent crime. We commonly talk as though people should be cognizant of their actions and the consequences they create, I sincerely, sincerely doubt people would be as willing to play devil's advocate if the genders were reversed, or if she were from a lower class background. If you were the victim here, or you were relative to someone who had been stabbed like this, I'm sure you'd want to see justice done.

As somebody else said - what is the crime/leniency exchange rate for other promising career paths?

Keasar

Yeah, she deserves prison. I am of the type who says that former inmates should have second chances at reintegration and getting jobs etc.

However, she definitely should go to prison for fucking punching, stabbing and then assaulting with household objects.

As somebody else said - what is the crime/leniency exchange rate for other promising career paths?
"A rocket scientist? Get out of here you little scamp."
"An upcoming actor? Go on, remember to sign the guest book on your way out, might be worth something in the future."
"A lawyer? 20 years."

jm89

I think in the end she will wish she went to prison rather then this story going to mainstream media.

Sadly she can ask for Google to delete them due to a EU rule.

Yup, it's evidently all about justice for you guys. No feelings of vindictiveness here.

Well it is in the UK and 92% of the people in the country are white. This is more likely rich person privilege than generic white, considering the university she is studying at.

UK is something like 85% or below now. Seven years ago it was 87% according to the stats.

Scotland is 96% white.

UK isn't a country. If we look at England it's 85% white in 2011 and probably between 80-85% right now.

Bold One

We should all face the consequences of our actions. None should be exempt regardless of class, race or supposed potential.

I mean honestly...there is nothing vindictive about wanting Justice to be done and be seen to be done.

Beefy

Yup, it's evidently all about justice for you guys.

So her crime can't be reported on now? 😂. She committed a crime, so it deserves to be talked about and it deserves to follow her where ever she goes. It's employers that need to change their stance on ex offenders, not me. Every one deserves a second chance, even the judge that fucked up.

You need to stop jumping to conclusions.

Seems you're missing the context that she stabbed the guy after punching him in the face and hurling a laptop, jam jar, and something else at him. That is repeated counts of violent assault there. Also, you know you can be killed by a bread knife, right? She stabbed him in the leg, if it hit the femoral artery, he could easily die from the amount of blood loss from one of the biggest arteries in the body. Also, the provocation is literally he was going to call her mum, not that he was being abusive to her. Plenty of people have abusive past partners, doesn't mean we give them leeway in court for future crimes. It was her choice to be under the influence, too.

But sure, go on about a white persecution complex.

She must be white

While we're at it, let's also say she's getting leniency because she's a she. No man would get off that easy for stabbing a girl in the leg in college.

Something something conspiracy theory something white privilege something.

Non sarcastic answer: probably has a lot more to do with a wealthy family's influence than the color of her skin. (Inb4 most wealthy are white).

So goddamn sick of everything being reduced down to the race card these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom