• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM Rumor: Halo 2 Anniversary being developed

blamite

I'd love for this to be true, even if the original's multiplayer wasn't brought back. Still the best story in a Halo game, even if the missions themselves have some rough edges. New graphics layer, tighten up some of the... less stellar segments of the campaign (keeping the story and cutscenes the same), rebalance the difficulty levels, and I'll buy it at a high price.

Ryoku

Why? Why not just port the PC version over? I mean, surely that isn't a terrible port or anything and they can check the "cross-play" box off, I guess

Shitty, outdated engine that prevents the team from upgrading much of anything beyond textures.

Referring back to the main topic: lol.

I'm fucking in if there is multiplayer. the exact same multiplayer that was in Halo 2 before..

if there isn't multiplayer, then I don't care.

Gui_PT

You guys have to understand they probably won't have the resources to work on the multiplayer and if they did, it'd just split the playerbase between halo 4 and halo 2.

That's something they definitely do not want to happen.

You guys have to understand they probably won't have the resources to work on the multiplayer and if they did, it'd just split the playerbase between halo 4 and halo 2.

then they should ditch the single player portion, haha. I probably won't buy if it doesn't at least include all of the halo 2 maps in halo 4

Loved Halo 2 tons. Still my favorite campaign and I played the MP a hell of a lot. Plus it would complete the collection of having every Halo game on 360, physically I mean.

Gui_PT

then they should ditch the single player portion, haha. I probably won't buy if it doesn't at least include all of the halo 2 maps in halo 4

They may work on map remakes for Halo 4 but I'm almost sure they won't make H2 multiplayer. It'd be a really bad decision.

They need to make a comeback with Halo 4 and dividing the population between two halos would wreck any hope of that.

*insert FyreWulff post on 343 saying they don't want to split the playerbase and doing so anyway*

pargonta

Halo 2 was the king of online shooters before CoD 4...

they need to be careful if they're going back to that game.
can't bring the multi back? then let the dead rest. leave the kings in their tombs.

BXR to the face..

dat milk

edit: sigh, since you kids want more substance. Figures, if true, that Microsoft will remake another halo game instead of investing in new franchises....

Ahhh Halo 2, I have precious memories of leaving my Xbox 360 on for about 2 weeks when they closed down Live V.1 Halo 2. Was glad to be at least part of the final 50 (last 33, just checked), until one day I came home and it was no longer on, I had a power cut at home.
Will be all over this if it has online multiplayer, relive some precious Halo 2 map memories.

Huff

Banned
COD has shown you can use an IP every year and be successful. i'm not going to bother with it though

Conor 419

Banned
God you have the worst opinions.

ODST was by far one of the best single player halo titles.

If anything damaged the brand it was reach.

You know you have a simpsons avatar right?

Care to explain your first point?

And yes, I agree. It was, I actually played through all of it yesterday. HOWEVER it was launched full price against Modern Warfare 2. It undeniably damaged the Halo brand.

ODST irreparably damaged the Halo brand, there will never be another ODST.

tumblr_m6curqoKZ71rzrs2co2_250.gif

Amazing Soundtrack
Amazing Voice Talent
Firefight was fun and challenging.
Campaign consisted of a sampling of all the best gameplay Halo had to offer.
The Sci-Fi Noir theme and overworld were a breath of fresh air for the series.

I wish Reach's campaign had been half as good as ODST's. Instead they made some kind of weird SevenFive Samurai, martyr-complex lore-rape-fest.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'd also accept a Halo Wars 2 or ODST 2 in that case. Although ODST 2 doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.
Would totally take a second of either, I quite enjoyed Halo Wars for what it was, those CG scenes were damn sweet too, Spartans kicking ass like Spartans should and not feeling a little flimsy and moving at a snails pace like previous Halo games have done.

That's bonkers. Selling it for $60 was a bad idea but the game itself is one of the better Halos.
God you have the worst opinions.

ODST was by far one of the best single player halo titles.
If anything damaged the brand it was reach.

I also thought ODST was awesome, probably enjoyed it more than Halo 3 and definitely enjoyed it more than Halo 2.

And yes, I agree. It was, I actually played through all of it yesterday. HOWEVER it was launched full price against Modern Warfare 2. It undeniably damaged the Halo brand.

How did Halo ODST damage the brand at all? Your assumption is based on NOTHING. Reach was still the biggest launch in the series and Halo 4 is gearing up to be huge.

Conor 419

Banned
tumblr_m6curqoKZ71rzrs2co2_250.gif

Amazing Soundtrack
Amazing Voice Talent
Firefight was fun and challenging.
Campaign consisted of a sampling of all the best gameplay Halo had to offer.
The Sci-Fi Noir theme and overworld were a breath of fresh air for the series.

I wish Reach's campaign had been half as good as ODST's. Instead they made some kind of weird SevenFive Samurai, martyr-complex lore-rape-fest.

Congratulations on establishing that you cannot read.

@Stalker

Biggest launch, yet it didn't meet the lifetime sales of Halo 3.

ODST was awesome. In so many ways.

It really signaled Bungie (and Halo altogether) was back on track after the terribleness of 3 and 2. Which they then continued the upswing of ODST with the great Reach.

Be advised as always, I dont play much MP so all my comments only refer to campaigns.

Congratulations on establishing that you cannot read.

What? This?

Just sounds like you're back-tracking since you never implicitly stated sales with your first comment.

By the way, Both the Halo franchise and the Call of Duty franchise have grossed roughly $3+ billion, and Microsoft felt confident enough to announce not one, but three new games in the franchise. I'm sure they're worried about its fiscal performance.

Conor 419

Banned
ODST was awesome. In so many ways.

It really signaled Bungie (and Halo altogether) was back on track after the terribleness of 3 and 2. Which they continued with the great Reach.

Be advised as always, I dont play much MP so all my comments only refer to campaigns.

Yes, I will reiterate yet again that I really really loved Halo:ODST, that still does not invalidate my statement.

Just sounds like you're back-tracking since you never implicitly stated sales with your first comment.

You could have quite easily asked

'In what sense?'

But instead, your mind presumably bellowed 'HAR HARRRRRRRR' and you went in for the kill. You are the Tom Buchanan of our time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
after loving Halo CE anniversary I will buy this, they did a great job.
Well...they did a pretty good job, but I wouldn't say great. For a remake it's pretty surprising to find that the framerate was just as unstable if not more so than the original game. It did not run smoothly at all (especially compared to Halo Reach).

How exactly?

Gui_PT

ODST damaged nothing. It's a completely wrong statement.

It brought firefight into the franchise.
Great music. great campaign. great noir theme.
only things the game did wrong was that stupid red screen when in low health and the hubworld should've been bigger as they originally announced.

and of course it didn't make as much as other halos, it didn't have an actual multiplayer.

Edit: And it also revitalized H3 MP by being launched with a disc that contained every single map.
So if anything it actually increased halo 3's population

Damaged? No way, good sir.

@Stalker

Biggest launch, yet it didn't meet the lifetime sales of Halo 3.

Its also had no where near the time halo 3 did. In fact fyrewulf calculated its on track to to come close its about 3 million away from Halo 3 after only a year of release. Halo Brand is still very strong the biggest impact on it has been Call of Duty. ODST helped the brand if anything.

Again you have no basis for the assumption that it hurt the brand. It sold 5 million that's big numbers for any game. Its only a million less than CE sold.}

What invalidates your statement is that you can not validate it.

Conor 419

Banned
Its also had no where near the time halo 3 did. In fact fyrewulf calculated its on track to to come close its about 3 million away from Halo 3 after only a year of release. Halo Brand is still very strong the biggest impact on it has been Call of Duty. ODST helped the brand if anything.

Again you have no basis for the assumption that it hurt the brand. It sold 5 million that's big numbers for any game. Its only a million less than CE sold.}

What invalidates your statement is that you can not validate it.

I'd argue that it rode on the success of Halo 3. Yes it didn't have the time, which is exactly why it shouldn't have been fully priced. I'd also argue that Reach's performance in Major Nelson's activity updates are another great example of the Halo brand being damaged on the back of ODST.

Yes, I will reiterate yet again that I really really loved Halo:ODST, that still does not invalidate my statement.

You could have quite easily asked

'In what sense?'

But instead, your mind presumably bellowed 'HAR HARRRRRRRR' and you went in for the kill. You are the Tom Buchanan of our time.

Responding to me with an ad hominem certainly wasn't the best way to make me want to hear more from you about anything.

NZNova

Yes please. Halo 2 single player wasn't that great but it'd be nice to not have it as the sole OG entry in the series anymore.

Reach failing to move as much software as halo 3 had much more to do with CODs growth in popularity and more importantly the lack of the master chief. Look at the advertising campaigns around halo 1, 2 and 3 they were all about the chief and that's what people wanted.

Not releasing a game with the chief in it has been the series problem alongside COD exploding in popularity.

I'd argue that it rode on the success of Halo 3. Yes it didn't have the time, which is exactly why it shouldn't have been fully priced. I'd also argue that Reach's performance in Major Nelson's activity updates are another great example of the Halo brand being damaged on the back of ODST.

Reachs performance in the activity lists have nothing to do with ODST. Plenty of people bought the game for it to be higher in the charts, there simply aren't enough of them compelled to keep playing the MP (like myself). That has everything to do with reach being a disappointment and nothing to do with ODST.

Your entire argument essentially boils down to reach selling poorly and blaming that on ODST with absolutely nothing to link the 2 things together (besides ODST coming out before reach).

Gui_PT

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttt

That has nothing to do with ODST. Reach's activity is like that because the game is full of problems and has very very very poor playlist management

Also CoD

Conor 419

Banned
I wouldn't deny that Halo:Reach also irreparably damaged the Halo brand either. It did, but for the opposite reason. Halo:ODST was a brilliant game which was poorly managed. Halo:Reach was a well managed game with many flaws.

I do not see either reappearing in name.

For the love of god, if true, please include multiplayer this time.

+1

Also on the subject of ODST. I think the overall package is the best $60 I spent on the series besides Halo 2. You get the best campaign besides CE, good Firefight, and the complete Halo 3 MP. I wish more games gave you that much amazing content.

Top Bottom