• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pach-Attack!

Gomu Gomu

Gravijah said:
Oh really? Do you use AdBlock here?
SzCMh.jpg

michaelpachter

He speaks, and we freak
The producer of Pach Attack sent me the thread a few minutes ago, so please rest assured that he is reading these posts.

I agree about cheesy intro/outro, and think that those of you who have thoughtful suggestions can expect them to be taken seriously.

To the extent that you can offer up topics for me to discuss, differences in format, suggestions on how I can make this more effective, please feel free to do so. If you wish to send me a private message, please go ahead, and I will endeavor to reply to all. If you post serious suggestions, I think that the GTTV producers will take them to heart.

michaelpachter said:
The producer of Pach Attack sent me the thread a few minutes ago, so please rest assured that he is reading these posts.

I agree about cheesy intro/outro, and think that those of you who have thoughtful suggestions can expect them to be taken seriously.

To the extent that you can offer up topics for me to discuss, differences in format, suggestions on how I can make this more effective, please feel free to do so. If you wish to send me a private message, please go ahead, and I will endeavor to reply to all. If you post serious suggestions, I think that the GTTV producers will take them to heart.
Suggestion One: Bring back the Zelda shirt...

Suggestion Two: Do a quick rundown of where each of the big console makers stand financially 3/4 years into this gen, maybe in terms of comparing where they were last gen, and where they stand in terms of future development. Of course, frequent GAFfers know (or think they know) how these things break down, but I'm interested in knowing how analysts are breaking things down for potential investors?

Suggestion Three: Provide a detailed list of all the "shit" about which "you don't know shit" so the 14 year old fan boy critics can compare against their own ample braintrusts.

Najaf

My gosh, I cringed throughout that whole thing. What were they thinking with that outline? The big winner was the 'hardcore gamer'? I like M.Pachter because he is a market savvy analyst who speaks of our hobby in a professional and intelligent way. Hearing him spit out language like an intern at a gaming blog is amateur.

Boney

Banned
Here's a suggestion... explain to me why Nintendo would want to rush to launch an HD Wii to compete with the 360 and the PS3.

forrest

formerly nacire
I like the guy well enough, but I don't know why he just doesn't stick to being himself and leave all of that cheese out of it.

Edit just saw you posted Michael. Yes please suggest less cheese!:D

p01ar

GameTrailers
michaelpachter said:

We are definitely listening. We will also be taking user questions for the show, I will update with a link tomorrow.

Nizz

jett said:
I lol'd when I saw this on GTTV. Can't hate on the Pach, guy is just too nice. :p
Yep, that's where I saw this segment. During the Battlefield 2 episode. I'm not really into the whole "sales-age" thing here, but nothing that the Pach does offends me in any way. Pretty smart, like-able guy.

Now the intro-outtro music was a bit cheesy but besides that, cool little segment. I don't think these will be weekly, right? Either way, thumbs up. ;)

Dogenzaka

Banned
michaelpachter said:

To be honest I think you say really dumb things sometimes.
But you're too nice to be mad at.

1.) I agree in the idea that you should discuss what you think of the financial standings of the three console companies this far into the generation, and what you think their future holds for them. Same sort of idea with games, etc.

2.) I agree that you should wear more gaming paraphernalia. (Hat episode, please. Where you have a different gaming hat on in every cut.)

3.) I'm not a fan of your crazy crystal ball predictions, but you gained points for liking Heavy Rain.

4.) Wii HD. Let it go, Pach. :)

(and of course, to GT: CURSE YOU FOR MAKING ME SIT THROUGH AN AD EVERYTIME I WANT TO REPLAY A VIDEO I WATCHED MOMENTS EARLIER)

Roquentin

Some ideas:
  • prediction of sales for upcoming titles and/or analysis for recently released games
  • analysis of NPDs
  • analysis of fiscal reports from major companies
  • explain how game price is split between publisher, developer, retailer, etc. and how retail market compares to digital distribution
  • what kind of impact do used games have on prices/profits
  • platform analysis (recurring segment):
    • current price point(s) and estimated production costs
    • current trends for hw and sf sales
    • when can we expect next price cut or hardware iteration for given platform
    • how profitable are associated products and services (Xbox Live, accessories, etc.)
    • what kind of impact will upcoming stuff have on the platform (Natal, PS3 wand, long-awaited sequel)
  • just like in first episode, don't take yourself or the show too seriously

I notice NSMB Wii was omitted from the winner list. Not that there was anything remarkable about its performance from a sales analysis perspective. At all.

Last FM though, that's where it's at!!!!

fabprems

michaelpachter said:

More facts, indepth analysis of business numbers (with unpublished NPD material...), less "I think that because I think that, yeah..."

Anyway, looking forward to Pach attack of the jedi ;)

FoxSpirit

Haha, nice. Would be interesting to see more indepth analysis but for a first episode this was a great kick-off.

CTLance

Hm. I hope to all hell that the badalicious presentation is truly tongue-in-cheek stuff. I do not want to be "down with the Pach". I prefer the the "outlandish" and inconvenient snippets, presented from a sometimes alien viewpoint. A second opinion from outside, so to speak.

I won't mind either way though. Maybe this will net him something akin to the Hoff, maybe he'll carve out his own niche, maybe he'll get tainted by us. Who knows. Looking forward to see how this turns out.

That said, can we get a unique intro/outro for every episode? I'd be up for some awesome Truman show intro. I think that would work pretty well given the setting.

Random thought: "Hello Babies". Heh. I like that guy.

jay

michaelpachter said:

The cheesiness is awesome. I think it fits the lighthearted nature you give off that keeps you likable regardless of what you actually say/predict.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I think if you cut down the cheese in the intro and the ending you'd be good to go. I liked the content.

I love how Pachter started on GT wearing a suit and tie and now you're two buttons undone and so casual on the set! :lol

BiasedGamer said:
Some ideas:

* prediction of sales for upcoming titles and/or analysis for recently released games
* analysis of NPDs
* analysis of fiscal reports from major companies
* explain how game price is split between publisher, developer, retailer, etc. and how retail market compares to digital distribution
* what kind of impact do used games have on prices/profits
* platform analysis (recurring segment):
o current price point(s) and estimated production costs
o current trends for hw and sf sales
o when can we expect next price cut or hardware iteration for given platform
o how profitable are associated products and services (Xbox Live, accessories, etc.)
o what kind of impact will upcoming stuff have on the platform (Natal, PS3 wand, long-awaited sequel)
* just like in first episode, don't take yourself or the show too seriously

I like all of this. Especially the last point. You've grown on Bonus Round because you have some insightful things to say, but you're not super serious and have a great sense of self deprecation.

LosDaddie

Banned
Yes, Juniors, this is THE M. Pachter.

michaelpachter said:

Thanks for taking the time to talk to us, pachtodamus.

My only suggestion is for some in-depth NPD analysis & predictions. And probably why you are making the predictions.

Oh and try not to take a overtly serious tone.

Pociask

In addition to what others have said about more NPD analysis, I wanted to specifically add more NPD analysis outside the top ten lists. We already know how Modern Warfare 2 and Batman have done - how about telling us about games that have had surprisingly long(or short) legs?

In addition, I would second the request for some concrete info that would let us form a better picture of return on investment for different types of games. How much does a AAA 360 or PS3 game need to sell to make a profit? AAA Wii game? Shovel-ware Wii game?

I thought it was awesome. More cheese is needed if you ask me.

I checked out the Game Trailers page for this program. Even the man's glasses have the MTV CRIBS/Super Sweet Sixteen bling effect going down. It should be taking its ques from those "Your Money" shows, which it is. A stately wood background on the logo, dollar signs....how is this a bad plan.

I actually signed-up to GT and downloaded the movie so I could make a Pach-Attack animated gif for my avatar. Sadley, I was not up to the challenge.

Mako_Drug

DidntKnowJack said:
I can't believe an analyst gets so much press.

Gaming is such a wacky business. Wacky, I tell ya.

Pretty much.

Pachter doesn't normally get on my nerves but this effort to turn him into a media personality isn't to my tastes. Not that I visit Game Trailers often enough to actually be irritated by it.

cacildo

Why dont you make an all Wii analisys Pach-attack?

You gotta admit that when you talk about nintendo the crowd always listen. And there´s a lot to talk about right now.

I found it funny that 3rd parties keep the "wii hardcore games dont sell" and "we cant understand the Wii consumer" talk. If they cant understand it, means they´re not doing a good job as game publishers.

Indyana

michaelpachter said:

I have some problems understanding how the company that have sold 20 million consoles and have made 7 of the top 10 best selling games in the USA last year is not a winner.

I would like some explanation about the software drop too. In Pach Attack you said that almost all of it can be explained by the low sales of music games and Wii shovelware. But according to Gamasutra you have said that PS2 software revenues dropped around 700 millions. I think that's a significant amount of money that shouldn't be ignored.

Last but not least I find quite strange that the casual gamer is leaving the market and at the same time some of his preferred titles are among the best sellers of the year. You have more information than most of us, so please don't get trapped in a manichean speech (casual = looser, hardcore = winner).

p01ar

GameTrailers
I hope you guys like the episode. We cut down on the cheese, but we are still trying to have fun.

Make sure to submit your questions for Pachter and hopefully we will answer them in a future episode.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
What's classier than a tie and an office? Good job on cutting out the punk cuts and other garbage. Wish there was more than 1 question answered though!

p01ar

GameTrailers
Lyphen said:
What's classier than a tie and an office? Good job on cutting out the punk cuts and other garbage. Wish there was more than 1 question answered though!

As of right now we are going to do one question a week, but we might change that in the future.

Dennis

Banned
p01ar said:
I hope you guys like the episode. We cut down on the cheese, but we are still trying to have fun.

Make sure to submit your questions for Pachter and hopefully we will answer them in a future episode.
I liked it but it was really short. Two and a half minutes and one question? Come on if you are going to Pachters office and taking up his time make it at least 5 min. and two questions. I know you don't think your viewers have long attention spans but come on!

LogicStep

I don't see how it's cheesy besides some one liners he pulled. I loved it, the guy is awesome, don't get the hate...

Long live Pachter!!:D

Xater

p01ar said:

This was way better. Also nice to see Pachter in his natural habitat. :lol

I'd like them to be bit longer. At least 2 questions would be nice I think.

Top Bottom