• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pach-Attack!

p01ar

GameTrailers
For those of you asking for longer and more segments per episode, we are still experimenting with the segment and that might happen in the future.

We also shoot multiple segments on the same day, we aren't going down to Pachter's office for a 2:30 segment and leaving. :lol

Fakto

TheKyle07 said:
Why does Michael Pachter keep calling me a baby? D:

126378546448955.gif

dsister44

i demand Pach dresses up for the next episode in the layton hat, zelda shirt and MW2 nightvision goggles. and that he signs off with 'stay classy san diago'.

on a more serious note, i agree it was a little short, 2 or 3 questions per episode would be really good. hopfully you will get some original questions that havnt alread been discussed to death on forums

so in general, just keep up the good work, on the pach attack and the bonus round. and keep making jokes, since they have vastly improved my opinion of you :D :D :D

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Why is Princess Peach on a Microsoft Xbox Live Facebook Page Demo???

WTF??

look at about 2:08 into the Patch Attack video

isn't this some copyright infringment? she is on a bike on the mario Kart track ffs :lol

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I think it's pretty amazing that someone like him is accessible on gametrailers instead of having to go to a place like CNN.

Not a direct quote:
"flamed by 13 year olds with a phd in engineering" :lol

Snipes424

I hope he is right about the $50.00 price point, but I still don't know.

His logic is sound that Microsoft wants to have Natal in as many homes as possible, but what about the overpriced hard drives? Couldn't you use the same logic for them? The more space people have, the more they might download things from XBL. The reason why I don't download anything from XBL anymore is because my HDD is full and I refuse to buy an overpriced laptop hardrive wrapped in plastic.

But we will probably find out at around E3 time, so let's see what happens.

Snipes424 said:
I hope he is right about the $50.00 price point, but I still don't know.

His logic is sound that Microsoft wants to have Natal in as many homes as possible, but what about the overpriced hard drives? Couldn't you use the same logic for them? The more space people have, the more they might download things from XBL. The reason why I don't download anything from XBL anymore is because my HDD is full and I refuse to buy an overpriced laptop hardrive wrapped in plastic.

But we will probably found out at around E3 time, so let's see what happens.

But Microsoft isn't pushing XBL Arcade as hard as it's pushing Natal for the mainstream. XBL Arcade is very much centered towards the hardcore with games like BF1943 or Shadow Complex, but Natal is trying to dig into that Wii casual crowd.

Honestly, the $50 seems very realistic for what Microsoft wants from this piece of hardware.

Johann said:
I disagree with him thinking that Halo Reach will be the best selling game of 2010. How could he forget about a certain Sony exclusive racing game Gran Turismo 5? A lot of people in the comments were saying Starcraft 2 as well. Oh and please don't change your prediction after reading my post :p

^^ That is IF GT5 comes out around Halo Reach it should because I think they've worked on the game long enough.

Oh and "Natal" for 50 bucks? Yeah fucking right. He's says Microsoft is going to sell it at cost or for a loss? :lol

kylej

Banned
InterMoniker said:
I disagree with him thinking that Halo Reach will be the best selling game of 2010. How could he forget about a certain Sony exclusive racing game Gran Turismo 5? A lot of people in the comments were saying Starcraft 2 as well. Oh and please don't change your prediction after reading my post :p

You really think a hardcore racing sim is going to outsell a new Halo game? Really? The Gran Turismo franchise is a relative flea compared to the Halo brand.

Balb

kylej said:
You really think a hardcore racing sim is going to outsell a new Halo game? Really? The Gran Turismo franchise is a relative flea to Halo's brand awareness.

The previous 4 Gran Turismos have outsold any Halo game. Not sure if it can happen with 5 though, so we'll see.

Dogenzaka

Banned
I was indifferent to Pachter. I thought he unnecessarily sought attention for his off-the-wall forecasts.

I watched this episode and he really humanized himself, and I think I understand him a lot better now.

Consider me a Pach fan :)

(PS: Doesn't mean I think a Wii HD is coming out this year)

kylej

Banned
Balb said:
The previous 4 Gran Turismos have outsold any Halo game. Not sure if it can happen with 5 though, so we'll see.

They also had little competition and were on the most dominant platform of their respective era.

mj1108

Pach: Well done! The first episode was alright but the second was even better.

Although I can't be the only one who thought when you said "Hello babies" in the first episode that you were talking directly to GAF. :lol

kylej said:
You really think a hardcore racing sim is going to outsell a new Halo game? Really? The Gran Turismo franchise is a relative flea compared to the Halo brand.

You are either a X360 fanboy, delusional, or both. GT franchise is a megaton compared to Halo.

Castor Krieg said:
You are either a X360 fanboy, delusional, or both. GT franchise is a megaton compared to Halo.

I don't think most people really understand how big GT is. It's never really mentioned along with other big franchises due to it being a racing game.

Dogenzaka

Banned
kylej said:

This is funny.

If I recall, the lowest-selling Grand Turismo game has still sold more than the highest-selling Halo game. :lol :lol :lol :lol

InterMoniker said:
Oh and "Natal" for 50 bucks? Yeah fucking right. He's says Microsoft is going to sell it at cost or for a loss? :lol

Well considering the "need" factor, they can get away with the high prices they charge for things like Hard Drives and Wi-Fi adapters. That "need" doesn't exist for Natal, as you'll still be able to play 360 games without it, just not Natal games. It's pretty obvious MS wants this to succeed as they believe it will allow them to tap into casual market that the Wii currently dominates. The best way to do that is by keeping the cost low enough as to be an attractive impulse buy.

My prediction is $60-70 with a pack-in game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Where did Michael get his avatar :lol

I think GT is big but I don't think it will outsell Halo. There are just too many Xboxes.

I may be in the minority here, but I've always appreciated Mr. Pachters take on the industry. I may not agree with a minority of his statements and/or predictions, but I think he's is that "outside" voice (at least in forums such as these), that you can earn to appreciate his perspective on the industry. It's nice to get his view on many subjects from time to time, and I truly respect his candid input on Gametrailers: Bonus Round.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dear Michael,

When you started at your firm however many years ago, did you one day dream that a bunch of nerds on a message board would have you photoshopped into their avatars? Is your bonus contingent upon how many animated .gifs you appear in? If so, do you employ Mama Robotnik?

michaelpachter said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-104-pach-attack/62418

A kinder, gentler me.

Appreciate all of the attention

I really liked this, found it insightful. More like this please.

Also - next time can you turn round the camera in your office, so we can see if the cool gaming stuff is everywhere, or just on your window?

Y2Kev said:
Dear Michael,

When you started at your firm however many years ago, did you one day dream that a bunch of nerds on a message board would have you photoshopped into their avatars? Is your bonus contingent upon how many animated .gifs you appear in? If so, do you employ Mama Robotnik?

He doesn't employ me, but he did offer me a ride in his Porsche for this:

(not as good as The Dark Pachter or the first Pachter GIF though).

kylej

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
That is certainly true, but it still makes his post hilarious. To illustrate my point further:

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

GT Prologue, a gimped GT5, out in 2007 aka time when PS3 sucked sold 4.65mln. GT5 will demolish Halo.

I would be stunned to see that number increase dramatically with the release of GT5. If the next Halo were to sell exactly the same as Halo 3, GT5 would have to double its Prologue numbers to eclipse it. I do not see another 4 million people waiting in the wings who care enough about a hardcore racing sim to buy it but don't care enough to buy the current GT product on PS3. I just don't see it. I don't care how many copies the original Gran Turismo sold a decade ago. The allure of pretty visuals doesn't mean as much as it once did, because in the eyes of the consumer it will look the same as Forza 3. The number of people who want to tweak their car suspension is more finite than people who want to play multiplayer shooters in this day and age.

Top Bottom