• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Factor: Michael Pachter is back with his new show. (SIFTD games)

Biggest takeaways for me was that consoles are a $12 billion a year business while mobiles are $20 billion but a lot harder to break into due to competition. Also that Vivendi is kryptonite to gaming company profits and should stay out of the business.

LoveCake

I found out a week or so ago that this was coming back.

I think Michael give a good insight on the industry, ok he has got a few things wrong, however what is he record over the long-term? [He gets paid for his insight & must get the majority right or he wouldn't be in the job that he is in.]

Glad to see him back.

I agree with pretty much all he had to say except for Activision. I just don't see the innovation there within the company and why their stocks continue to grow rapidly.

Nibel

I rarely agree with him but watched almost every Pach Attack episode; he has an interesting perspective on the industry and games in general.

Welcome back fellow baby

Oddduck

Just the other day I was thinking about how much I was missing new episodes of Pach Attack.

I know some people disagree with his opinions, but you have to admit, his show is fun and he does a good job of stirring up discussion.

I agree with pretty much all he had to say except for Activision. I just don't see the innovation there within the company and why their stocks continue to grow rapidly.

If nothing else, Skylanders started the toys-to-life initiative. That's, what, billions worth of innovation?

border

I am so glad Pachter is back.

Remember when we used to have a new thread about this guy every time he said something? He was truly the Phil Harrison of his era.

The new episode is great, and glad they kept to the old format. Having the episodes on a 1-week delay is probably going to hurt buzz/discussion though. If he's really committed to doing 50 episodes a year then $27 is a fair price for the premium subscription.

Thank you Pachter for the session. In an industry that at times seems to go to length to hide numbers and analysis it is always nice to get a better look at what is going on. Heres to hopefully many more!

Justinh

O'Reilly just called Pachter a hack.
eh...He'd probably call him a "Pinhead."

Would it be a good idea to put the questions in the OP? That wouldn't be too "spoilery" or like copy/pasting an article, would it? I mean, we're really watching it for his answers, right? Maybe even spoiler-tag them for people who don't want to see them.

Question 1
Ce1OYyq.jpg
Do you think Konami made a smart business decision when they decided to focus on mobile and scale down the AAA productions?
Question 2
Ce1OYyq.jpg
With the recent news about Sony confirming it is ceasing first-party development for the Vita do you think this is the end for it? Is the third-party support enough to keep the platform alive? Will the Vita be the last handheld made by Sony?
Question 3
wirGqq3.jpg
Would you elaborate on what Vivendi's intentions are with its purchase of a large (6%+) stake in Ubisoft?

Question 4
Ce1OYyq.jpg
Was it worth it for Microsoft to secure Rise of the Tomb Raider as a timed exclusive? Will it hurt the sales of the Tomb Raider franchise as a whole?

Something like that? Or is that a terribad idea and I should go spend some time in the "shame pit?"

FZZ

Banned
Even though I don't agree with a lot of his analysis on things having a different perspective is always appreciated and all his points are very well thought out

Checking it out right now

I always liked Pacther on GT, and I kind of like this show too, but it's not NEARLY as well produced and it really shows.

I never realized until now how much that stuff mattered in a show like this.

Zalman

I'm just amazed at how many puns you can make with his name.

Anyway, I rarely agree with him but he always has interesting perspectives that I've been missing since the last show. I watched the entire video and it's good to see him back.

You do understand that when people talk about activision stocks, they are talking about activision-blizzard right? As in, the owners of Hearthstone and all the other money making games they own fueled by innovation.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
I think Michael give a good insight on the industry, ok he has got a few things wrong, however what is he record over the long-term? [He gets paid for his insight & must get the majority right or he wouldn't be in the job that he is in.]

Well, he's a stock market analyst, so he's bound to get some right, some wrong. What he gets paid for, however, is his reasoning. He tells his clients that "I expect MS stock price to develop like this over the next five years, and here's why I think so". And the more valuable part is what follows after that.

Investors don't necessarily take his predictions at face value, but they pay for his insight.

But I'm happy he's back entertaining. Never even heard of this SIFTD site, but now I'm seriously considering becoming a premium subscriber. Which I have never been anywhere.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I haven't really heard from Patcher in a long time, so I'm curious. Have his predictions improved any since say....2009?

Chindogg

I don't agree with a lot of his assessments but I always appreciated his work. Glad to see he got another show.

Skux

Glad to have him back.

He needs a reflector shining on his face, especially with those open windows in the background.

yurinka

Nice to see him back. I'd prefer to see a Red Dead Redemption remastered and RDR2, not interested on Midnight Club at all.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I disagree with the Konami dropping AAA games development because talent is leaving while it is quite apparent that talent is leaving because Konami is dismissing AAA development/decreasing their investment in those titles.

Top Bottom