• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Factor: Michael Pachter is back with his new show. (SIFTD games)

PFD

You definitely can't play Hearthstone in a Starbucks line. The game is realtime, you can't just pause a match and come back to it later.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Thanks so much for posting the links. I never realize pachter was back and his insight is always fascinating

Within the first few minutes he basically says "fuck you" to everyone who's watching on youtube.

I felt no reason to continue watching at that point. What a jerk.

Hopefully they will keep Pach's show on YouTube, because I lost interest in SIFTD when Shane stopped putting his videos on YouTube and locked the content behind a paywall.

Not paying for gaming news I can get for free elsewhere. Kinda Funny went the right way by keeping their stuff in YouTube.

Justinh

Within the first few minutes he basically says "fuck you" to everyone who's watching on youtube.

What are you talking about? It's the only Siftd premium content that gets uploaded to youtube now, and he answers questions from Twitter, too. He seems to be willing to do the show for non-subscibers and subscribers alike.

Servbot24

Banned

Oh no, your feelings D:

Come on man. He was perfectly up front and courteous about it. There's not much else he could have said.

Oh no, your feelings D:

Come on man. He was perfectly up front and courteous about it. There's not much else he could have said.

He could have simply not said most of his viewers opinions are worthless because we're not directly giving him money. Ad revenue? Word of mouth? None of that matters, only subscriptions.

I just think if that's your opening, why should I give a shit? Why should I care what he has to say if hes gonna be disrespectful right out the gate? "Listen to what I have to say but idgaf what you think." No thanks.

I know people love to hate Pachter, but I loved Pach-Attack and missed it. It's rare to find any videogame related media that covers the business side of the industry from business analyst point of view. It's something you don't really see elsewhere. So I find it to be interesting, even if he isn't always right with his predictions.

I'm a bit behind on this thread as I found it today.

Also... Rockstar's next game: Midnight Club?

SegaShack

Glad to see Mr. Pachter back, I always enjoyed his Game Trailers program. I like his perspective because how different it is from a hardcore gamer or fan.

'Siftd' is a terrible name

Yup and also very weird that Pachter is on that youtube channel. He should have just made his own channel and put up a video a week. Now he's on a channel with 3000 subscribers...

I know he gets a lot of hate on Gaf, but I really like his shows, he gives insights no one else can give. Like in his last video where he explains what a publisher gets from a bundled game etc.

Wertyscp

Neo Member
Yup and also very weird that Pachter is on that youtube channel. He should have just made his own channel and put up a video a week. Now he's on a channel with 3000 subscribers...

I know he gets a lot of hate on Gaf, but I really like his shows, he gives insights no one else can give. Like in his last video where he explains what a publisher gets from a bundled game etc.

It's the channel of previous editor-in-chief of gametrailers, shane satterfield, where he had his show last time, and it seems pachter does this show mostly because of their friendship.

TheJoRu

Pachter is always funny to watch. He knows his shit (or at least concerning the things he cares about), but I always find myself heavily disagreeing with him on something every episode.

He thinks reviewers are being too hard on games and shouldn't complain about lack of originality and/or not switching things up?

giphy.gif

Pachter is always funny to watch. He knows his shit (or at least concerning the things he cares about), but I always find myself heavily disagreeing with him on something every episode.

He thinks reviewers are being too hard on games and shouldn't complain about lack of originality and/or not switching things up?

giphy.gif

Maybe he's very good in his "real" everyday job but he's not very good at all this imo, even gaming is something that he shouldn't talk that much about publicly.

He's just incompetent regarding gaming imo but I don't hate him the guy and if the show is a success it's good for him.

(I'm not saying I'm better than him... but I don't go in Internet video shows or I don't give my opinion everywhere like my name alone could give the thing more credit).

I'm going to watch the second show though for a second opinion on the thing

giphy.gif

I think the sports one is on point, I mean look at IGN FIFA reviews
14 9.1
15 8.3
16 7.8

Good shows so far. It could really use a good editor, it needs some cuts. Happy Pach is back, but he doesn't care (and never will) because I will never pay for Sifted with the current offering of original content.

Just checked and the new Marcus Beer podcast is not even on the iOS podcast app. The website says you need to download an (Android) app to get it a day later? How about making it easy for a potential listener.

Not sure why Valve was included in the first question. They had a publishing partnership with Nexon for Dota in Korea. That's all. Wasn't the same as the partnership Nexon has with BossKey or Splash Damage.

Also, 3rd question. He doesn't mention the Vive, but Magic Leap? lol

border

I will purchase a Siftd premium subscription if he ceases to use the phrase "Pach-loving". I have to cringe every time I hear it.

According to his Twitter, Pachter gave away 1000+ full-sized candy bars on Halloween:

candybars_zps92kw4z34.jpg

LoveCake

Liking these so far, there does seem to be too few questions considering the length of the show though, then again the answers have been pretty in-depth, maybe time to have a full hour show.

Sneak peek: In #3 Pachter will tackle NX and say it mustn't do a Wii U. http://www.nintendo-insider.com/201...-it-launches-without-key-third-party-support/

So in essence, they have to become the same as Sony and Microsoft, which won't work because devs don't want to add another of the same games on a platform where their games don't sell and there are bound to be unnecessary limitations...so...Nintendo's fucked?

I mean, Pachter has been waving the Nintendo is doomed flag for years, but he never seems to come up with a solution to fix it. Oh wait, go third party. Despite the fact that they have billions in the bank. Right.

Trojan

Horrible show name! But I do like Pachter, dude doesn't give a fuck and says what he thinks. There's way too much hate on him, he actually has very realistic takes on a lot of issues but people only remember his bad predictions.

Justinh

New episode is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXPpfbmIJaI

Questions this week are about the launch of Nintendo NX, Sony as a whole, the popularity and reach of esports, and Nintendo's head honcho.

That bit at the end about the call of duty e-sports, is that sponsored by PlayStation now?

I don't know. I thought that since Sony was getting all the DLC early and marketing thingies, that the esports events would be sponsored by them, too. I really don't know what's going on with it though. I don't follow the scene.
If you're referring to the xbox logo in the video, I think it's just from some old footage or something.

OH! I guess that was from this year? I don't know what's going on.
http://news.xbox.com/2015/01/09/games-call-of-duty-championship-presented-by-xbox/

Episode 4 is now up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz3axK0SI8Y

Questions this week are about chances of a third-party Nintendo, VR vs. AR, microtransactions, and how to make NX succeed.

I think he's a little misinformed about Destiny.

Wow, Pachter wasn't horribly negative towards Nintendo this time. Didn't he suggest Nintendo go third-party immediately 2 or so years back, and didn't he suggest it earlier this year after Iwata's passing? I am glad that he does see Nintendo's billions in the bank as an actual thing right now.

New episode is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXPpfbmIJaI

Questions this week are about the launch of Nintendo NX, Sony as a whole, the popularity and reach of esports, and Nintendo's head honcho.

I don't know. I thought that since Sony was getting all the DLC early and marketing thingies, that the esports events would be sponsored by them, too. I really don't know what's going on with it though. I don't follow the scene.
If you're referring to the xbox logo in the video, I think it's just from some old footage or something.

OH! I guess that was from this year? I don't know what's going on.
http://news.xbox.com/2015/01/09/games-call-of-duty-championship-presented-by-xbox/
Wow, he honestly suggested that Sony gets out of insurance (their most consistently profitable division) because it's not electronics. Wtf is he smoking? Sony needs to get out TVs and possibly films, not insurance. smfh.

Justinh

Wow, he honestly suggested that Sony gets out of insurance (their most consistently profitable division) because it's not electronics. Wtf is he smoking? Sony needs to get out TVs and possibly films, not insurance. smfh.

Yeah, that's a little strange since he even says it's very profitable, but I guess it sounds like he'd like to see the company more focused on what they're most known for and it might make them more profitable with that focus.

I dunno... he does say he's a "substantial shareholder" so I'm guessing he's educated himself about his opinion.

LoveCake

I wonder what his games room is like, he must have one? it wouldn't surprise me if he had every console in mint condition including retro ones either.

I think it is great that he does this as it gives a perspective from the other side of the industry.

I was surprised he said that and he is even a Sony shareholder, guess he doesn't like money.

Yeah, that's a little strange since he even says it's very profitable, but I guess it sounds like he'd like to see the company more focused on what they're most known for and it might make them more profitable with that focus.

I dunno... he does say he's a "substantial shareholder" so I'm guessing he's educated himself about his opinion.

FFS, he can't even use the correct terminology......in his own field!

A "substantial shareholder" is a technical term in securities law which means you control 5% or more of the total stock. Pachter does not own 5% of Sony.

Justinh

New episode is up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G-GMU3j5Fk

Questions are about Microsoft's chances(thread about this yesterday), premium mobile games, FTC involvemnt in the industry, and another NX launch date question/prediction.
Edit: Oh, I apologize, when I said prediction before, it was referring to a question/answer. Not the end of show prediction.

This dude is so full of himself, of coarse the title screen is fashioned after a dollar bill.

I mean, it's not like he's the one designing the graphics...

LoveCake

Interesting views on best selling game nov/dec that it will be CoD & not Star Wars Battlefront.

Also the Nintendo NX could Q2-Q3 2017 be the date & not Q4 2016 when it is released, if there is nothing at E3 then?

Can they have good solid games ready in 13-14 months, maybe some first party, but third parties? ports yes but new games no, but then again with the track record of third parties & Nintendo all I can see is the same sort of ports that the WiiU had, I cannot imagine they are going to pour resources into the NX.

Pach said he has a X1 as he is an "Xbot" but also he has substantial investment in Sony, so does Pach own a PS4?

Top Bottom