• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Factor: Michael Pachter is back with his new show. (SIFTD games)

oneils

I just watched one question/answer and yeah it's the same type of stuff from before. If you want more of that, great it's out there.

It's certainly not produced as well though. A lot less snappy, little to no edits, audio noise, and no flash. Maybe that's what they're going for? It's more lackadaisical and conversational in that regard.

That said, not worth paying money for imo. But it is free on YouTube a week later and that's fine. They should up the production if they're hoping to bring in subscribers with this.

Yeah, I didn't realize how much the editing helped the old show. It seems strange to just plop a camera in fron of him and press record.

So what happened to Marcus Beer?

Free-rolling, I guess. He has his own podcast thing going now according to his Twitter. He's been doing so many random things here and there since he left GT, which make me curious why he decided to leave GT in the first place (he wasn't laid off when restructured iirc).

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Free-rolling, I guess. He has his own podcast thing going now according to his Twitter. He's been doing so many random things here and there since he left GT, which make me curious why he decided to leave GT in the first place (he wasn't laid off when restructured iirc).
To be fair the vibe of the current gt line up seems like they pander to a slightly younger audience. He wouldn't have fit in imo.

Nokterian

He wanted to be on youtube like anyone else but he made a big mistake in the end because you can't get famous on youtube that instant.

LoveCake

I think Pach is right about Tomb Raider, i had it on order but have cancelled it now as i won't be able to put the time into it, so i may as well wait for it to drop in price & when i will have more time to play though it.

Glad Pach is is back, i think that they need to invest in some better lighting though.

Will i pay for a subscription, i dunno, not yet anyway going to see how they get on first, because some of the GT Pach's were 15-20 mins one week & then about 8-10 mins the next.

He wanted to be on youtube like anyone else but he made a big mistake in the end because you can't get famous on youtube that instant.

This is my theory. He wanted to make it big as a youtuber but failed. He had a big ego though, and I think that was folly even though I liked him on GT.

Completely gone. We are all better for it. He had no audience.

Why are we better for it? Seems like you're just irrationally hating on him by saying that.

Justinh

Is he still on SIFTD podcast [now behind paygate]?

He bailed on e3 coverage and just...never returned.
The siftd podcast is only behind a paywall for archives, btw.
The twitch stream of the podcast live obviously can just be watched by anyone.

Adam M

Oh yeah, I like this fellow baby :D

The very successful NeoGAF community love to hate him because why not but I really like him, good to see him again

foxtrot3d

Banned
I don't mind Pachter alone but him back with Satterfield and Beer?

NOPE!!

Edit: Beer left? What happened? He's like a rolling stone.

IIRC Marcus wasn't getting paid for his appearances on SIFTD's podcasts and what not but was doing it for free to help out Shane. The drive to the studio was like 45 min for him so it wasn't exactly a minor inconvenience for him. Apparently, Shane started bitching to him for not being able to make some episodes and he said "fuck this" since he was doing it all for free.

AHA-Lambda

IIRC Marcus wasn't getting paid for his appearances on SIFTD's podcasts and what not but was doing it for free to help out Shane. The drive to the studio was like 45 min for him so it wasn't exactly a minor inconvenience for him. Apparently, Shane started bitching to him for not being able to make some episodes and he said "fuck this" since he was doing it all for free.

Huh Shane is a dickhead, Quelle surprise.

Actually no. Shane had offered to pay Marcus lots of times.

Marcus refused to respond to his texts during E3 and started posting stuff on Twitter how it's great watching E3 from home. So he basically no showed their E3 coverage and never responded to his friend. I would never do that to a friend especially in the biggest week for his website.

Also watching game face he was always looking bored and I felt his interests in games was waning. Some of the stuff he came up with was random.

I have two thoughts about Vita. One, the first bit is outdated (as Shuhei Yoshida clarified the quote since this episode was first released). They are still making 1st Party Games for Vita, just not AAA ones. Also, one thing I think sort of hamstrung the Vita was a "feature" they couldn't reveal for almost a year after release. That "feature" is the fact that the Vita was designed from the ground up to work with PS4. In fact, both were developed simultaneously. Apparently Mark Cerny helped architect the Vita. Vita released in 2011 (in Japan) and early 2012 world-wide. PS4 was not unveiled until early 2013 and released later that year. I wonder if Vita would've had a little more success if it came after PS4 instead of before.

Bgamer90

Banned
exlusives don't matter? yeah..sure

If the PS4 outsells the XB1 this winter like everyone expects it to, it'll pretty much prove that to be the case.

Not really since sales will be even worse if the system didn't have exclusives (like Halo 5). Same was true for the PS3 last gen -- the gap between it and the 360 was far greater in the U.S. than the XB1 and PS4 but it was still a relevant system here due to its exclusives.

Exclusives matter but they simply aren't the "end-all be-all".

foxtrot3d

Banned
Actually no. Shane had offered to pay Marcus lots of times.

Marcus refused to respond to his texts during E3 and started posting stuff on Twitter how it's great watching E3 from home. So he basically no showed their E3 coverage and never responded to his friend. I would never do that to a friend especially in the biggest week for his website.

Also watching game face he was always looking bored and I felt his interests in games was waning. Some of the stuff he came up with was random.

Yeah, I dunno what really happened between them but it's clear both sides have beef. All in all, while I think SIFTD is an interesting idea I just don't see how it can sustain itself though a subscription service. People barely wish to subscribe to real news sites like the NYT or WashPo why would they then wish to subscribe to a premium "gaming news/discussion" site? Gaming news isn't ever exclusive which means your actual content and discussions have to be worth the subscription price and I don't see SIFTD and it's people i.e. Shane, having that draw.

SIFTD is essentially trying to create a market where none existed before, that is super hard to do successfully.

I think it might work out. Remember, he's a stock analyst who gets paid by people for his hindisight on the financial buisness part of the game industry... Meaning there's definitively someone willing to pay 30 bucks a year to have the Pach's opinion before on what's a good stock to invest in an so on... And if he's giving his suscribers early access to his "predictions", that could turn into profits for some people.

I think he'll have a small amount of suscribers, mostly people who own stocks in big game publishers and want to hear what he's thinking before making moves... Sure seems cheaper than hiring him.

This is my theory. He wanted to make it big as a youtuber but failed. He had a big ego though, and I think that was folly even though I liked him on GT.

Why are we better for it? Seems like you're just irrationally hating on him by saying that.

Marcus Beers didn't fail because of youtube, he failed because he neglected his fanbase. He had quite a few followers willing to watch his new content after he left Gametrailers, myself included.

Fans were expecting he left because he had a "master plan", kinda like when Jim Sterling left the Escapist... But no...

Marcus sat in his living room, unshaved, on a webcam with terrible sound, explaining how he sucked at editing and producing videos, then he ranted a little and updated his channel every 4 months or something. Fans complained that the production value was abysmal, that the channel lacked content or purpose, yet he didn't seem to care. He went from 20000 views to 200 views on his latest content. He's largely irrelevent. Not caring about your fanbase and not providing content does that for you.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I think it might work out. Remember, he's a stock analyst who gets paid by people for his hindisight on the financial buisness part of the game industry... Meaning there's definitively someone willing to pay 30 bucks a year to have the Pach's opinion before on what's a good stock to invest in an so on... And if he's giving his suscribers early access to his "predictions", that could turn into profits for some people.

I think he'll have a small amount of suscribers, mostly people who own stocks in big game publishers and want to hear what he's thinking before making moves... Sure seems cheaper than hiring him.

Anything you get on that show, even on SIFTD, is likely a day late and a dollar short. I'm sure you could do worse, but it's not like you're getting inside info impossible to get elsewhere.

Marcus Beer was always irrelevant. Only time I ever heard about him was when he was talking shit about Phil Fish. Just another "I'm Angry At Videogames" gamerbro with no original insight whatsoever.

gogogow

There's so much misinformation in his show.

Tomb Raider 2013 5-6 million franchise. It's 8.5 million since April 2015.

Sony released the PSP when the DS was started to decline? What?!

Justinh

Just another "I'm Angry At Videogames" gamerbro with no original insight whatsoever.
I mean...I was under the impression that he worked PR for NovaLogic and the guys who made F.E.A.R. so I thought he had some experience within the industry. I've just never really been a fan of his attitude, or maybe it was they way he talked. I dunno. I don't hate, or even dislike him, just not a fan.

I liked the show. It was exactly like Pach Attack. However, I probably will still not watch any other SIFTD content. I was not a fan of Shane's when he was on GameTrailers. When I saw SIFTD was being created a while back, I though what the heck, I'll check it out. Then, in one of the first episodes of their podcast, he went on a rant calling video game reviewers that gave Bloodborne a high score irresponsible. He claimed people would be "tricked" by the Metacritic score and would lash out at the critics for misleading them. On that episode, they had a guest from a newspaper publication who had written a review. The guy said the game is clearly not for everyone, but if a reviewer liked the game they should've given it a score they thought it deserved. Shane was having none of that and kept trying to shift the guy's opinion. I don't think the average consumer (i.e. people who don't follow the video game industry closely) rely on (or know of) Metacritic, so Shane's argument seemed very weak to me. I honestly think the general public relies mostly on television ads, newspaper ads, and the actual game boxes to learn what games are out there.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Marcus Beers didn't fail because of youtube, he failed because he neglected his fanbase. He had quite a few followers willing to watch his new content after he left Gametrailers, myself included.

Fans were expecting he left because he had a "master plan", kinda like when Jim Sterling left the Escapist... But no...

Marcus sat in his living room, unshaved, on a webcam with terrible sound, explaining how he sucked at editing and producing videos, then he ranted a little and updated his channel every 4 months or something. Fans complained that the production value was abysmal, that the channel lacked content or purpose, yet he didn't seem to care. He went from 20000 views to 200 views on his latest content. He's largely irrelevent. Not caring about your fanbase and not providing content does that for you.

Truth.

sora87

Yeah, he's been known to just say random shit that makes no sense.

Could he be thinking of PSP Go? That released in 2009. Though, at that point, I'm not sure the DS was in decline. If not, then he got things mixed up considering both systems originally launched nearly simultaneously in 2004 (PSP did not come to North America until 2005).

AHA-Lambda

Nailed it, I used to like Marcus, just gave up on him after his awful Youtube stint.

gogogow

Could he be thinking of PSP Go? That released in 2009. Though, at that point, I'm not sure the DS was in decline. If not, then he got things mixed up considering both systems originally launched nearly simultaneously in 2004 (PSP did not come to North America until 2005).

I doubt he even remembers the PSP Go or even know it exists. It seems to me he just comes up with an answer, whatever he can think of off the top of his head, without doing (much) research for his show.

That was kind of my point. He wanted to make it big on youtube. He didn't fail because of youtube. He failed because he had a big ego and thought that whatever he put out would be good enough, as if youtube is so easy he could succeed with minimal effort.

Justinh

Does he still say ' fellow babies'

Pach me in

Yes he does

Episode 2 just went up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIv8AEx5i-U

Questions for this week
Question 1
Ce1OYyq.jpg
-
What are your thoughts on Nexon (and other developers and publishers like them from South Korea and China) teaming up with western companies like BossKey and Valve? We've seen a trend towards micro-transactions and more aggressive free-to-play models offsetting what should have been the rise in cost of the average game. Will we see the death of the $60 AAA game in favor of something else?

Question 2
Ce1OYyq.jpg
-
The American shopping season is going to have the most diverse selection of pack-in game bundles in my estimation. My question is do you think the amount of choice is ultimately too confusing for the average consumer, or is the variety an overall good thing? Would a lack of desired bundles at retail cause a shopper to forego buying a console or does the standard shopper not care and buy what might be in stock?

Question 3
Ce1OYyq.jpg
-
With all the VR options about to be set loose, which one do you think will have the most success?

Question 4
wirGqq3.jpg
-
How much does bad press affect game sales?

I think the second question was a good one.

edit:sh
oo
t, too long on post screen

Top Bottom