• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: "PSP2 will be dead on arrival" [Update 675]

FoneBone said:
(Also FFXV on PSP2 and/or 3DS, which I don't think is impossible at this point.)

That's what I'm thinking as well. I would really like S-E to try do a main entry FF game without having to spend 5 years on HD visuals. Just take 2 years, and make the best FF game ever.

It seems unlikely though, seeing as FF is supposed to show S-E tech proficiency.

Takao

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
That's what I'm thinking as well. I would really like S-E to try do a main entry FF game without having to spend 5 years on HD visuals. Just take 2 years, and make the best FF game ever.

how long has agito been in development for? i rest my case

Takao said:
how long has agito been in development for? i rest my case

True, but that's because morons announced 3 titles at once, even if they could only work on one (+FFXIV). They really need to stop that. I wonder if they announce it so much in advance to sell Famitsu/Dengeki?

StuBurns

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
True, but that's because morons announced 3 titles at once, even if they could only work on one (+FFXIV). They really need to stop that. I wonder if they announce it so much in advance to sell Famitsu/Dengeki?
It's not the same teams.

StuBurns

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
You are telling me they have different teams on FNC games, and they still take 5 years to make them?
Yep, quite the polished pipeline they have over there isn't it?

FFXIII was the FFX team basically, the 'normal' FF mainline team.
FFVersusXIII is the main KH team.
FFAgitoXIII is the Before Crisis team I believe.
FFXIV is the FFXI team.

Something like that. There is brutal mismanagement going on over there.

Byakuya769 said:
Also, the argument of whether or not developers can find profit in the IOS environment is a non-starter; consumers show very little concern with the profitability of content providers in their purchasing patterns. I know "hardcore" portable gamers want it otherwise, but reality is moving further and further away from your positions.

If developers can't make a profit on "traditional" games why would they make them?

Byakuya769 said:
that may not even be necessary if mobile gaming habits shift towards a new paradigm better aligned with current ios/android gaming experiences.

Which will definitely happen, because a wizard will do it.

Even if mobile gaming shifts towards the iOS/Android platforms, it's not going to happen in the next 6 months.

As someone has already mentioned (blind credit), E-readers are apparently made obsolete by the iPhone and yet the Kindle is perhaps the best selling thing on Amazon ever. It's simple: if you want a product that does lots of things, you get a 'convergence' device. If you want a product to do one thing really well you get a specific device.

If you look at the penknife - by rationale knives, can openers etc should no longer be sold because everyone can buy what they need in one single device. Lo and behold people are still buying ceramic knives because they do their specific job better than a penknife can.

I sincerely doubt that Sony and Nintendo are going to struggle to find someone to sell their devices to.

Jokeropia

Byakuya769 said:
It's amazing at how frequently the fact that much if not most of the DS's success was due to its broad market appeal, which it is losing inarguably to smartphones/tablets.
DS huge sales figures, even now with it's successor closing in, do not support your argument that it's losing it's broad appeal.

I don't know if we're stubbornly holding onto our hopes that our heralded handhelds will continue to reign supreme but you have to look at the evidence. Angry Birds clearly shows us that consumer interest is moving away from Nintendo/Sony platforms to convergence devices. It makes perfect sense and will only continue to take casual players away from the DS market (a huge part of the original DS installed base).

Byakuya769 said:
He's already doing it. You're just setting yourself to have posts archived.

Well, since it's pretty unhelpful to ignore an entire thread of actual discussions of the point to just make assertions without attached arguments: what's the genesis of this shift? Why are people not going to want to play NSMB 3D? Why is the next iteration of Pokemon going to bomb? What's going to cause the market for portable RPGs (a niche, but still successful, portion of the market in the US) to dry up? In short, what's the driving force causing a dramatic sea change in interest away from the types of games currently successful on handhelds?

evilromero said:
Angry Birds clearly shows us that consumer interest is moving away from Nintendo/Sony platforms to convergence devices.

Errr, it does no such thing. A single game selling well does not establish that consumer interest is moving "away" from anything.

I mean, go back in time to 2006. Now imagine someone saying that the sales of NSMB DS "clearly shows us" that consumer interest is moving away from consoles and towards handhelds. Does this assertion make sense?

No, obviously not, because the existence of one hit game on a platform does show us that it's possible for hit games to exist on said platform but it absolutely doesn't prove anything about whether that platform is actually hurting other platforms. The success of NSMB presaged an expansion of the market, with handhelds and handheld games selling dramaticaly better while the console market continued to grow. There's a great deal of assertion that $2 iPhone games are "killing" handheld gaming, but again, the evidence so far is that they're building their own successful market next to handhelds: DS is still the best-selling hardware in November, even as smartphone gaming is getting more and more popular.

loosus

Banned
I don't think it's the so-called "convergence" angle that will hurt the PSP and DS. It's just the fact that the Android and iOS platforms are so popular that they can't help but hurt the PSP and DS in some capacity. You don't sell millions upon millions of a device -- regardless of the device's intentional use -- and have it not damage sales of similar devices.

Apple and Google don't even really have to say that the Android and iOS are for games. That's taking care of itself through brute force.

Also what nobody mentioned is that "mobile gamers" might not be a uniform group. Shift towards mobile gaming might be because people have less time, they can play while commuting to work, don't need expensive TV sets, etc. In this group there will be people who jump on 0.99$ iPhone games, but also people that want better experience, also in a portable format. 3DS is for them.

My guess is that's the reason why DS and PSP usage dropped - a group of "mobile gamers" was waiting for a device like iPhone. It's possible that in the future a large chunk of home console gamers will migrate to 3DS/PSP.

loosus said:
I don't think it's the so-called "convergence" angle that will hurt the PSP and DS. It's just the fact that the Android and iOS platforms are so popular that they can't help but hurt the PSP and DS in some capacity. You don't sell millions upon millions of a device -- regardless of the device's intentional use -- and have it not damage sales of similar devices.

But what if those million iPhone/Android have a 3/DS and they buy multiple games for that console? That's the problem with pitting mobiles against dedicated consoles. If I have a mobile and a portable I'm not going to just stop playing the portable because I have a game on the mobile.

jman2050

evilromero said:
I don't know if we're stubbornly holding onto our hopes that our heralded handhelds will continue to reign supreme but you have to look at the evidence. Angry Birds clearly shows us that consumer interest is moving away from Nintendo/Sony platforms to convergence devices. It makes perfect sense and will only continue to take casual players away from the DS market (a huge part of the original DS installed base).

Perhaps you'd like to expound on your position because, as I see it, Angry birds' success does not correlate with any of what you said.

Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
It's funny that whenever Pachter talks about handhelds dying all he ever uses is circumstantial evidence like "oh all I see is kids playing iPhone games" and never gives anything else to back it up. I mean, isn't the DS still a great seller? There has to be some reason other than "I see these kids playing iPhones now".
How many blue collar kids do think Pachter has in his vincinity? :lol

It´s probably true that the kids of his friends all have their own iPhone, so his view of reality is slightly skewed.

Zoe

painful fart said:
How many blue collar kids do think Pachter has in his vincinity? :lol

It´s probably true that the kids of his friends all have their own iPhone, so his view of reality is slightly skewed.

I've seen blue collar kids with iPhones. It's really not as uncommon as people are making it out to be.

charlequin said:
There's a great deal of assertion that $2 iPhone games are "killing" handheld gaming, but again, the evidence so far is that they're building their own successful market next to handhelds: DS is still the best-selling hardware in November, even as smartphone gaming is getting more and more popular.

yep. tons of sensationalism going round. the gaming industry is starting to sound a lot like the fake news channels that like to stir shit up. it's taken us forever to finally be able to SORT OF predict what the weather will be like with all of our fancy machines and data, but we still aren't very accurate. same with the gaming trends and sales data. there isn't enough history for analysts to be making insane bold assumptions. and that's why i let a lot of this console war shit roll of my back because it's nothing but sensationalism. it's sad that a lot of other people buy into it though and make it become true. makes me wonder what game sales would be like if there was no sales data and analysts in our faces all the time. people would be *gasp* required to think for themselves.

/rant

but yeah, this whole iphone killing consoles/handheld business is a laugh. almost all of my hardcore apple-products-only friends that buy every iteration of everything and spend tons of cash on apps and games STILL have 360's with Live accounts and talk about how fun the latest Nintendo franchised DS release is. then again, can't just take my account as fact. :D

At least Pachter is predicting the death of both handheld and console gaming. It annoys me when game journalists say that the DS and PSP are doing to die, yet laugh off people saying that console gaming could never die. They usually show off that they don't follow the handheld sector at all, play handheld games, and then use the generalization that they have an iPhone and not a DS or PSP to say that the iPhone has replaced those systems.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
At least Pachter is predicting the death of both handheld and console gaming. It annoys me when game journalists say that the DS and PSP are doing to die, yet laugh off people saying that console gaming could never die. They usually show off that they don't follow the handheld sector at all, play handheld games, and then use the generalization that they have an iPhone and not a DS or PSP to say that the iPhone has replaced those systems.

right. i think we all know that consoles won't be around forever. we'll eventually have nuclear powered thought-glasses or some shit like that but it's not going to be anytime soon, and especially with how slowly the US and other places are getting broadband implemented and widespread. hell, we can't even get our cell providers to agree on what 4G means. :lol

you're right though. analysts should be making their decisions on analyzing data, as that's their job, not what two people they know are doing.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
painful fart said:
Oh yeah? And their blue collar parents are paying the monthly fees as well?

I see people of all types on subways with iphones or touches. An itouch isn't exactly a lot of money, and no monthly fees.

Top Bottom