• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter thinks NX will release in 2017, won't be very good.

Ogodei

All 3 are doing this.

4 consoles with gimmicks:

Wii: Huge success

WiiU: Flop

DS: Huge success

3DS: Moderately succesful

NX will not be a contuination of Wii/WiiU.

NX will not be a hybrid. There is not even rumour it will be a hybrid.

There actually was a recent rumor that it would be a hybrid (actually that it would be straight handheld-only with a wireless streaming to a special HDMI dongle), but this contradicts what Iwata said, which is the thing rumor-mongers keep forgetting.

jholmes

I'm sorry, but you really think pulling the plug on an unsuccessful product shortly after the arrival of the next one will be "coincidence"?

I think it'll be coincidence that the company carries out one strategy that it had carried out a decade before, yes, because Nintendo isn't just rolling out its set plans from 10 years ago, a new group of people will craft their own plan and if it resembles the one from 10 years ago, that's a coincidence. No one at Nintendo is digging through files to look at what they did with the GameCube.

Are you seriously disagreeing with me or do are you just reflexibly mad about this? I can understand seeing things differently, but the incredulity seems misplaced.

Terrell

That being said, it still is a huge uphill battle to even reach the WiiU's numbers. It's definitely no guaranteed success. Not like they're riding any momentum in the console space.

Oh no doubt, and I've never said otherwise. NX has to be a foundation to build from, something that repairs good will and mindshare, even if it only achieves a moderate bit more success from Wii U. NX is a launching pad to something they hope will be an even greater success, because even Nintendo knows they won't turn their fortunes around Wii-style in one fell swoop.

ps4 came with 8gb of GDDR ram which was pretty beastly when high end graphic cards at the time only had 2-4 gb at most and were more expensive than the ps4.

anyways nintendo have not made a console that appeal to me since the snes. why can't nintendo just make a pure gaming console without a gimmick like back in the day with the gamecube?

I did like the gamecube which i think is better than the n64, wii and wii u combined. this nx doesn't sound like a pure gaming console from nintendo. it will probably have a gimmick again.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on PSVR and Hololens.

You think it'll be a cut from the DS brand, as well?

In branding, yes. I think 2 screens will still be there, but it will not be the branding focal point.

I think it'll be coincidence that the company carries out one strategy that it had carried out a decade before, yes, because Nintendo isn't just rolling out its set plans from 10 years ago, a new group of people will craft their own plan and if it resembles the one from 10 years ago, that's a coincidence. No one at Nintendo is digging through files to look at what they did with the GameCube.

Are you seriously disagreeing with me or do are you just reflexibly mad about this? I can understand seeing things differently, but the incredulity seems misplaced.

co·in·ci·dence
kōˈinsədəns
noun
1. a remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection.

There is an apparent causal connection. Both outcomes will originate from the same cause: A console selling very poorly with new hardware on the horizon that they see a greater opportunity with.

Coincidence requires that they came to the same conclusion from an entirely different starting point. There's no difference except the people at the helm, but that alone does not facilitate a coincidence.

And looking beyond just Nintendo, it's a standard practice across the video game industry. Sega abruptly killed software support and discontinued the 32X AND the Saturn (except in Japan, where wasn't discontinued hardware-wise until well past its expiry date). Microsoft did it pretty spectacularly and blatantly with the Xbox. In both of those cases, what was the cause? Exactly the same as Nintendo's with the Wii U.

As I said in the rest of the post you didn't bother to include, it's not about playing right out of the GameCube playbook, it's about playing from the business logic handbook. Maintaining manufacturing of the console costs money better spent elsewhere, as is the bulk of software development resources, which CLEARLY aren't being dedicated to the Wii U anymore aside from Zelda, which is suspected to launch on NX alongside the Wii U release.

This is the most blatantly choreographed snuffing out of a console to make room for its successor since the GameCube. Everyone bloody knows that's what is happening, and if you're not seeing the same thing happening, when it clearly makes the most sense from a business standpoint and is something they've clearly done before for the same reasons, I really don't know what to tell you.

Just because different people are at the helm or "the industry has changed" doesn't void the use of the most basic logic to come to the same conclusion from the same starting point. And that is not "coincidence". It's quite possibly the most obvious and banal choice to make that anyone in their position would be making.

Earendil

Idk why this concept of console/handheld hybrid just clicked for me. So it would still be running on the console but streaming to your portable device? That sounds like a dream.

Saying it won't be good based on their history... idk, putting the cart before the horse? But I guess all we can learn from is experience.

This is putting the tree the cart is made from in front of the horse's mother.

jholmes

co·in·ci·dence
kōˈinsədəns
noun
1. a remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection.

There is an apparent causal connection. Both outcomes will originate from the same cause: A console selling very poorly with new hardware on the horizon that they see a greater opportunity with.

Coincidence requires that they came to the same conclusion from an entirely different starting point. There's no difference except the people at the helm, but that alone does not facilitate a coincidence.

And looking beyond just Nintendo, it's a standard practice across the video game industry. Sega abruptly killed software support and discontinued the 32X AND the Saturn (except in Japan, where wasn't discontinued hardware-wise until well past its expiry date). Microsoft did it pretty spectacularly and blatantly with the Xbox. In both of those cases, what was the cause? Exactly the same as Nintendo's with the Wii U.

As I said in the rest of the post you didn't bother to include, it's not about playing right out of the GameCube playbook, it's about playing from the business logic handbook. Maintaining manufacturing of the console costs money better spent elsewhere, as is the bulk of software development resources, which CLEARLY aren't being dedicated to the Wii U anymore aside from Zelda, which is suspected to launch on NX alongside the Wii U release.

This is the most blatantly choreographed snuffing out of a console to make room for its successor since the GameCube. Everyone bloody knows that's what is happening, and if you're not seeing the same thing happening, when it clearly makes the most sense from a business standpoint and is something they've clearly done before for the same reasons, I really don't know what to tell you.

Just because different people are at the helm or "the industry has changed" doesn't void the use of the most basic logic to come to the same conclusion from the same starting point. And that is not "coincidence". It's quite possibly the most obvious and banal choice to make that anyone in their position would be making.

Uhh cool?

I think you're trying to argue past me, not with me, so I think I'm out. Keep that dictionary handy though!

He called a $499 PSVR before Sony's conference. Clearly he's out of the loop

https://twitter.com/michaelpachter/status/709844671766384640
It's funny, I don't recall anyone ever making a thread about your predictions or better yet, mentioning it in the news. His $499 prediction is pretty much on point because the cost of the move and camera haven't been factored in yet. October was also on point. Seems like he knows what he's talking about and you don't. It's almost like he went to school for this and does it as a job...

It's funny, I don't recall anyone ever making a thread about your predictions or better yet, mentioning it in the news. His $499 prediction is pretty much on point because the cost of the move and camera haven't been factored in yet. October was also on point. Seems like he knows what he's talking about and you don't. It's almost like he went to school for this and does it as a job...

More importantly, they are predictions. I don't think he ever claims to be a super secret insider who is getting his info from a leaker within Sony/Nintendo, yet people hold him to those same standards. So many things can change up until the last minute with these announcements, you can't expect everyone to predict everything to the last detail.

Okay, so Pachter was actually right. Newsworthy?

Just kidding. Hope the only thing he correctly expected is the release date, not NX' quality...

Truth is Nintendo is becoming less and less relevant to hardcore audiences. It's not their main target group. Nothing wrong with that, it's just how it is. Nintendo fans still expect some kind of "resurrection" of the good old Nintendo but most people don't see this happening.

spookyfish

Only nintendo could make pachter right.

This is the best!

Truth is Nintendo is becoming less and less relevant to hardcore audiences. It's not their main target group. Nothing wrong with that, it's just how it is. Nintendo fans still expect some kind of "resurrection" of the good old Nintendo but most people don't see this happening.

As a Nintendo fan, I've been fairly disappointed with its recent output, specifically Mario Party 10, Mario Tennis Wii U and Animal Crossing Bored Game. They may have to actually win me over with NX.
They probably won't have to win me over.

Bolivar687

Banned
In the end, Pachter is always right, it just takes long while sometimes. Nintendo did eventually end up releasing a Wii HD and some day The Order 1886 will cross the five million units sold threshold.

atpbx

Linkle

Please keep the "Most successful console ever, confirmed" comments to yourself.

He is clueless in the most part and I have never seen him get a single thing right.

HOWEVER, I kind of agree with him on this, unless they have something radical up their sleeve, I cant see it being that successful.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Why did Pachter have to be right this time? Why did he have to be right about this?

So the next Smash Bros gets to add Nathan Drake and Crash Bandicoot to the roster? :p

the girl from Gravity Rush

the dogbird from Last Guardian

Knack

Sackboy? Is he still relevant?

Top Bottom