• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 12, 2013

Ehh... my nephew bought a Wii U for Monster Hunter. I really doubt he was the only one. Those Monster Hunter fans are a bit crazy.

Into

Good for MH, but i expect that is just the ultra hardcore who even know what Monster Hunter even is, the game will drop off soon enough sadly

Extrapolations, error blah blah caveat.

FIFA 13 Week 11 = <10.6K
Week 12 +32% = <14.0K

Did the Guardian stop doing their top 20 posts with platform breakdowns? EDIT: nvm, they've stopped tagging them in the series now, but they're still doing them.

flattie

If there's one thing that been shown in the past few UK charts, it's that a brand name has more of an effect on sales than anything else about a game and that's just depressing.

Lol. The UK charts have always been depressing, going back to the days of waiting for the Digitiser chart pages to cycle through on Teletext.

Xater

I can't believe so many people bought that Walking Dead shovelware shit.

Monster Hunter will most likely chart top 10 in Germany.

Wow at MH. Was not expecting it very high and certainly not expecting the WiiU version anywhere.

Lots of people have been waiting for a new one.

Durante

If there's one thing that been shown in the past few UK charts, it's that a brand name has more of an effect on sales than anything else about a game and that's just depressing.
TOP 40 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE - INDIVIDUAL FORMATS (UNITS), WEEK ENDING 2 February 2013

LW TW
NE 1 NI NO KUNI: WRATH OF THE WHITE WITCH (PS3)
?

Wow at MH. Was not expecting it very high and certainly not expecting the WiiU version anywhere.
You were not expecting what's pretty much the only significant game released on the system in months to chart anywhere on a chart that routinely goes down below 1k? Come on now.

Mon Hun generating 50% of Wii U software revenue is terrible. :/
Using last week calculations Fifa was at <13k now it rose 32% so it's <17k which means MH3 combined for 3DS+WiiU <17k
If you're using my extrapolations I believe you're using them wrong.

I have FIFA 13 All Formats at <14.0K for week 12.

Typically the 360 has held about a 48% share, the Guardian hasn't posted a breakdown yet though. But if this holds, the 360 SKU should be <6.7K, and it's above both MonHun SKUs so both will be below that number.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
You could make the argument that Studio Ghibli being involved is a large part of Ni No Kuni's success.
And even if you disregard that, it's still just one exception up against Walking Dead, Aliens and Sim City.

What other new IP released this year were you expecting to top the charts. Perhaps one of those invisible ones that hasnt been released yet?

You were not expecting what's pretty much the only significant game released on the system in months to chart anywhere on a chart that routinely goes down below 1k? Come on now.

I said highly for 3DS and yeah I didn't expect to see the WiiU version.

Durante

I said highly for 3DS and yeah I didn't expect to see the WiiU version.
I know Wii U isn't doing well in the UK, but still, there are more than 100k units out there, and at this point in its life I think a <1% attach rate for a title like MH would be really unlikely.

syllogism

How does that Simcity drop (33%) compare to, say, Sims 3? Seems very solid when compared to the vast majority of franchises.

NotLiquid

Hence MH3U seems performing well, right? given all the circumstances.

Combined sales is arguable but the Wii U version is more than likely not doing too hot in terms of pure numbers, even though it being a Wii U game on a relatively alright chart spot is impressive.

The rest of the PAL territories have yet to be discerned though.

Combined sales is arguable but the Wii U version is more than likely not doing too hot in terms of pure numbers, even though it being a Wii U game on a relatively alright chart spot is impressive.

The rest of the PAL territories have yet to be discerned though.

Usually the best territory for MH is Germany so let's wait.

expected mh wii u to be number 30ish so i'm impressed, shame nfs didnt mange to sneak in but i guess the fact hardly anywhere sold it fucked up its chances

thinking next week we will likely see 4 (shock horror) wii u games in the chart, with monhun probably dropping to 30 something, lego city maybe top 10 and nintendoland and zombiu pretty certain due to the hmv deal

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Gears did even worse (relative to 3) than I was expecting.

Also, Forza 4 where art thou.

Zero148

nice, so the WiiU simply needs games to have at least a little bit life in UK? shocking news

Lego should chart too

NotLiquid

Germany and France should be basis of analysis of MH performance.

Most certainly, but despite general performance I find it rather impressive that a Monster Hunter game, let alone a Wii U game of all things, managed to premiere at 12 on the UK chart.

I don't think I'd describe the <5.5K of MH3U as impressive. I guess ymmv. On the plus side it probably had a ~5% attach rate, which isn't that bad.

MH3U's results in the UK aren't necessairily "good", but I also would say it still charted higher than most were expecting.

Germany and France should be basis of analysis of MH performance.
I do wonder if either version will crack the top 5 in France. Nintendo really should've funded a campaign for Ultimate like they did Tri...

NotLiquid

I thought the UK market was dead/dying? Suddenly a debut at 12 is a big success? :p

I don't think anyone honestly considers it a big success. The numbers are pretty "meh" at best, it's just surprisingly higher than you'd expect of the game and it's platform, which is kind of impressive on it's own right. Which says a lot about how laughably low the bar is at this point.

Half full/empty/ymmv scenario like shinra mentioned I suppose.

7 (–) Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3DS (55) Wii U (45)

I knew the 3DS version would be the best selling SKU. I wish Wii U had a bigger install base though, it's dragging MH3U down. Hopefully it keeps growing along with the console, it's a must buy.

Anyway, get those sales.
h0kSAsu.gif

Malvingt2

7 (&#8211;) Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3DS (55) Wii U (45)

I knew the 3DS version would be the best selling SKU. I wish Wii U had a bigger install base though, it's dragging MH3U down. Hopefully it keeps growing along with the console, it's a must buy.

Anyway, get those sales.
h0kSAsu.gif

UK only numbers?

EDIT: I just saw the link... NFS: MW U 11k?

I don't think I'd describe the <5.5K of MH3U as impressive. I guess ymmv. On the plus side it probably had a ~5% attach rate, which isn't that bad.

People need something to cheer for. If what someone else said and 4 WiiU titles show up in the Top 40 list next week, people will go bananas, even though those 4 titles will probably account for < 20K.

Top Bottom