• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 14, 2011

zomgbbqftw said:
Actually the original wholesale price was much higher, but once pre-orders fell through at the £230 price NoE gave a rebate for a limited period, but the wholesale price will go up again at some point. Think of it as an introductory discount.

News to me. I don't suppose you can link me to a source?

The all formats chart seems bizarre to me - bizarre that there's not one 3DS title on it. I'm almost tempted to think it might be a mistake!

However, I don't think much can be expected of 3DS software sales in charts such as these just yet. There were only 900k systems in the initial shipment to the entire of Europe, 100,000 of that was mooted for the UK. So already the system's software is at a disadvantage as its competing with systems that have much larger, established userbases. You've got to imagine that people aren't going to be buying more than 2 games in the launch window, with exceptions, and that all the launch software is competing well for peoples' cash... so sales are probably split... and of course, it's early April and we're only just coming to the end of an awesome spell of warm weather. We shouldn't expect November/December sales or something...

still, I think this punctuates the need for a renewed push, and more software.

Michan

cw_sasuke said:
True, let's hope we will get soon final details on the eShop, upcoming games and so on. They can't be satisfied with those results - AR games and face raiders are a nice addition but no system sellers.
They're as much "system sellers" as any "system sellers" out there. AR Games and Face Raiders are really unique experiences that people can't help but show to friends. People see others playing them and become curious. When they understand what is going on, the system is catapulted to the forefront of their minds, and although they may not purchase their unit specifically for those products, they may have never originally considered it if not for the original experience.

Nintendo is trying to recreate the Wii Sports "wow!" factor, and although it doesn't appear to be anywhere near as influential, we'll eventually discover if their strategy has worked or not when they discuss those releases in retrospect.

Michan

Chris1964 said:
Wait until you see 3DS NPD numbers.
they will make Japan sales look huge
I don't think they'll be that bad. Some people had problems finding units, which is a better result than in the UK, where units are readily available everywhere and yet Nintendo experienced their largest hardware launch yet.

zomgbbqftw said:
Sorry, no source on that. Not on the internet anyway, I know from a retail client.

Ok I'll take your word for it for now. I still say that they wouldn't have set it any higher than £199.99 if they set the RRP. Going over £200 has a strong psychological effect on consumers that I'm sure they're aware of (and retailers don't give a shit about that, thanks to their collaborative price fixing)

Chris1964 said:
Wait until you see 3DS NPD numbers. they will make Japan sales look huge

Not possible, they've already stated that it's their biggest handheld launch ever.

Michan said:
They're as much "system sellers" as any "system sellers" out there. AR Games and Face Raiders are really unique experiences that people can't help but show to friends. People see others playing them and become curious. When they understand what is going on, the system is catapulted to the forefront of their minds, and although they may not purchase their unit specifically for those products, they may have never originally considered it if not for the original experience.

Nintendo is trying to recreate the Wii Sports "wow!" factor, and although it doesn't appear to be anywhere near as influential, we'll eventually discover if their strategy has worked or not when they discuss those releases in retrospect.

We already know they haven't. The Wii and, as you mention, Wii Sports were all over the mainstream news and media outlets. The 3DS isn't. The only coverage I have seen in MSM is about people feeling sick from the 3D effect and how the 3D effect could be hazardous to children under 8 by an optician.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Michan said:
I don't think they'll be that bad. Some people had problems finding units, which is a better result than in the UK, where units are readily available everywhere and Nintendo experienced their largest hardware launch yet.
Biggest launch day for a handheld. It doesn't mean much and you can bet Wii sold more.

Baki

3DS is definitely quite expensive in EUROLAND - accompany that with poor launch software and you get a less than impressive start for the DS successor (keyword being DS successor).

That said - portable software has always sold shit in western countries anyway. lol

Michan

Chris1964 said:
Biggest launch day for a handheld. It doesn't mean much and you can bet Wii sold more.
I'm surprised you're comparing the two, since Wii was timed perfectly for the big US sales periods: Black Friday and Christmas. Anybody expecting Nintendo 3DS to sell more than Wii in the same time period is going to be disappointed.

They intentionally placed all of the barriers between their company and consumers (high price, weak sales month, lack of flagship franchises, no release dates for other first-party titles). Despite this, Nintendo 3DS has been a hugely successful hardware launch. These barriers, which Nintendo will remove incrementally, will ensure a long life of consistently high revenue from the system.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Michan said:
I'm surprised you're comparing the two, since Wii was timed perfectly for the big US sales periods: Black Friday and Christmas. Anybody expecting Nintendo 3DS to sell more than Wii in the same time period is going to be disappointed.
If your theory stands we must expect bad sales.
WII: Nov 16 - 476k for November
3DS: March 27 - ? for March

[Nintex]

Michan said:

They intentionally placed all of the barriers between their company and consumers (high price, weak sales month, lack of flagship franchises, no release dates for other first-party titles). Despite this, Nintendo 3DS has been a hugely successful hardware launch. These barriers, which Nintendo will remove incrementally, will ensure a long life of consistently high revenue from the system.
If true that would've been the dumbest thing they could do. The problem is that Nintendo seems to think they're as 'big' as Apple and that they can get away with everything. Iwata said so himself that the 3DS was priced high because the demand was there. They delayed the launch so they had more units and launch and he also said that Nintendo is holding games back. All of those things are facepalm worthy and unexpected coming from a smart guy like Iwata. Nintendo totally messed up with their initial strategy and if they don't turn around soon it's going to be a disaster for them. Third parties aren't going to wait for sales to pick up, they'll bet on a different horse instead and no that horse is not the NGP.

Michan

Chris1964 said:
If your theory stands we must expect bad sales.
WII: Nov 16 - 476k for November
3DS: March 27 - ? for March
I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here. Anything < 476k is not necessarily bad, baring in mind 3DS has only been out for about two weeks in the US and we'll see days of sales in March's NPD.

As I said, despite all odds Nintendo 3DS has been a hugely successful hardware launch. Come NPD day, nobody is going to be blown away, but we certainly won't see your expected dire figures.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Michan said:
As I said, despite all odds Nintendo 3DS has been a hugely successful hardware launch. Come NPD day, nobody is going to be blown away, but we certainly won't see your expected dire figures.
That's where you are wrong.

Michan said:
I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here. Anything < 476k is not necessarily bad, baring in mind 3DS has only been out for about two weeks in the US and we'll see days of sales in March's NPD.

"Hugely successful" and "software sales falling off of a cliff after 3 weeks in 2/3 launch territories" aren't exactly compatible in my opinion.

If the US launch is anything like the Japanese and PAL launches, it will likely trail the DS and the 360, with only Street Fighter 4 putting up decent numbers.

Michan

[Nintex] said:
If true that would've been the dumbest thing they could do. The problem is that Nintendo seems to think they're as 'big' as Apple and that they can get away with everything. Iwata said so himself that the 3DS was priced high because the demand was there. They delayed the launch so they had more units and launch and he also said that Nintendo is holding games back. All of those things are facepalm worthy and unexpected coming from a smart guy like Iwata. Nintendo totally messed up with their initial strategy and if they don't turn around soon it's going to be a disaster for them. Third parties aren't going to wait for sales to pick up, they'll bet on a different horse instead and no that horse is not the NGP.
Not at all.

They've done a few things differently this time around. Perhaps it's because they've been learning from recent launches, or perhaps it's because they're experimenting in preparation for their next home platform's launch.

1. There are no first-party flagship franchises present. We got Pilotwings, and interestingly, an "evergreen" title. Nintendo hasn't launched with a Mario, Zelda, or equivalent. This means that when they do launch such titles, they will experience prolonged sales boosts.

This also means that third parties are free to release titles without competition from Nintendo. Just look at SSFIV, and the attention the Resident Evils are receiving.

2. They launched at a massive price. Nintendo can probably get 3 big slashes out of such a high price, which are great ways to experience temporary sales boosts.

3. They launched at a down-time for sales. They can only sell x units before they've sold them all, after all. Launching in March means they will catch the summer, which is typically a better time for handhelds than home systems. When winter rolls around, sales will be lifted. As a result, we will notice steady, consistent sales, rather than massive sales with a sudden drop-off.

This strategy also means that their hand is yet to be shown to Sony, who will likely go all-out with their launch. Nintendo will naturally experience high Christmas sales, and can trump NGP when the new year rolls around.

They know what they're doing here, and we shouldn't underestimate them.

Michan

Chris1964 said:
That's where you are wrong.
Nintendo has, more or less, released a system at a massive price with no real software available to purchase. As I've said, they have all of their cards to show, and they'll do it over time.

We'll see, in just shy of a year from now, how things have played out. At that point, if Nintendo is proved to have failed with what I believe is a longer-term strategy than a front-loaded launch, then you can call me out and I will gladly eat crow.

Barrett2

Michan said:

What are you basing this on? What do you mean 'despite all odds?'

Michan

lawblob said:
What are you basing this on?
See my post above about Nintendo's barriers, and couple it with the fact that in the UK, it was a great launch. Last month's disaster considered, it did well in Japan, too.

Michan said:
Nintendo has, more or less, released a system at a massive price with no real software available to purchase. As I've said, they have all of their cards to show, and they'll do it over time.

How is this any different to PS3? PSP?

[Nintex]

Michan said:
Not at all.

They've done a few things differently this time around. Perhaps it's because they've been learning from recent launches, or perhaps it's because they're experimenting in preparation for their next home platform's launch.

1. There are no first-party flagship franchises present. We got Pilotwings, and interestingly, an "evergreen" title. Nintendo hasn't launched with a Mario, Zelda, or equivalent. This means that when they do launch such titles, they will experience prolonged sales boosts.

This also means that third parties are free to release titles without competition from Nintendo. Just look at SSFIV, and the attention the Resident Evils are receiving.
Resident Evils that aren't out yet can't help system sales. SSFIV is getting some attention yes but it wouldn't have competed with Mario or Zelda in the first place. If Nintendo launched F-Zero against Ridge Racer and Mario 3D against Rayman 3D you might've had a point but as it stands now it's just a really poor launch line-up.

2. They launched at a massive price. Nintendo can probably get 3 big slashes out of such a high price, which are great ways to experience temporary sales boosts.
Because Iwata was always a guy in favor of dropping prices right?
lol

3. They launched at a down-time for sales. They can only sell x units before they've sold them all, after all. Launching in March means they will catch the summer, which is typically a better time for handhelds than home systems. When winter rolls around, sales will be lifted. As a result, we will notice steady, consistent sales, rather than massive sales with a sudden drop-off.
You can't get a sales drop off when you start out shitty? Who are you Jack Tretton?
This strategy also means that their hand is yet to be shown to Sony, who will likely go all-out with their launch. Nintendo will naturally experience high Christmas sales, and can trump NGP when the new year rolls around.

They know what they're doing here, and we shouldn't underestimate them.
So they shipped 4 million systems but only planned to sell half of those and they're going to make up for it with Christmas sales? Or they could've sold out everything at launch, made it the most desirable gadget around and sold a ton during the holiday season as well. I wonder if Iwata is taking notes of your spin.

hamchan said:
PS3 and PSP both launched with competitors. 3DS has a one year gap with the NGP to establish itself.

The DS is still the 3DS's biggest competitor. You are also forgetting about iDevices and even Android phones/tables.

The market is a lot more crowded than it was in 2004 when DS/PSP launched and when the PS3 launched in 2006.

Michan

[Nintex] said:
Resident Evils that aren't out yet can't help system sales. SSFIV is getting some attention yes but it wouldn't have competed with Mario or Zelda in the first place. If Nintendo launched F-Zero against Ridge Racer and Mario 3D against Rayman 3D you might've had a point but as it stands now it's just a really poor launch line-up.
This is exactly my point. Nintendo's launch lineup is terrible. But it diverts attention away to third parties, and that is a good thing for Nintendo, as its something they need to remedy. It also means that they can release their big sellers at a later date, rather than at launch, which wouldn't have done a lot to boost sales.

[Nintex] said:
Because Iwata was always a guy in favor of dropping prices right?
lol
The Wii has dropped in price on several occasions. Nintendo DS received frequent revisions, each with incremental price increases, but the original DS and Lite both received cuts at different points.

$250 is much easier to cut than $199.

[Nintex] said:
You can't get a sales drop off when you start out shitty? Who are you Jack Tretton?
It's not, though. When you factor everything in, they've managed to sell their highest-price device of recent years with no real content available at launch, at a down-time of the year (and not to mention against the iPad 2 launch), and they've experienced success in the UK.

[Nintex] said:
So they shipped 4 million systems but only planned to sell half of those and they're going to make up for it with Christmas sales? Or they could've sold out everything at launch, made it the most desirable gadget around and sold a ton during the holiday season as well. I wonder if Iwata is taking notes of your spin.
They don't need to sell out. Despite one point in its lifetime, Nintendo DS was never sold out. Over the last 3 years, Nintendo DS has experienced nice, consistent sales. It has been drip-fed content, and it has worked out for the company. Wii, on the other hand, has experienced terribly erratic sales and has gone from an extremely hot to something that has moved into second place.

Why release everything in year 1 when you can experience solid sales with little content, then avoid a drought in year 2?

Nintendo wouldn't do this without reason. They've had years to plan for this launch. Can you come up with a better explanation to all this?

[Nintex]

zomgbbqftw said:
The DS is still the 3DS's biggest competitor. You are also forgetting about iDevices and even Android phones/tables.

The market is a lot more crowded than it was in 2004 when DS/PSP launched and when the PS3 launched in 2006.
At first I figured that the Android/iPhone stuff would've been very different from the 3DS. But with Nintendo doing no '3D-only' games and publishers like Ubisoft porting over their iPhone games(Asphalt) to 3DS for a premium price they're pretty much starting to ruin traditional handheld games.

hamchan said:
PS3 and PSP both launched with competitors. 3DS has a one year gap with the NGP to establish itself.
Iphone and Android are already competitors in the handheld space, they aren't going to go away.

Saying "wait a year" is a deflection; at that point you're no longer analyzing the system launch. Any number of things could happen between now and next March (new game announcements, Sony pricing themselves out of the market, massive ipad recall) that could effect 3DS sales positively, buy they won't be relevant when comparing it to recent console launches.

The PS3 is selling okay now in Japan and the US, but I don't think anyone would argue that the launch in those two territories was anything but a complete duster.

[Nintex] said:
At first I figured that the Android/iPhone stuff would've been very different from the 3DS. But with Nintendo doing no '3D-only' games and publishers like Ubisoft porting over their iPhone games(Asphalt) to 3DS for a premium price they're pretty much starting to ruin traditional handheld games.

You do know that mobile phone ports to traditional handhelds at retail are nothing new right? The DS launched with Asphalt 1, which was a mobile phone port.

[Nintex]

Nuclear Muffin said:
You do know that mobile phone ports to traditional handhelds at retail are nothing new right? The DS launched with Asphalt 1, which was a mobile phone port.
Ype, but mobile phone gaming back then obviously wasn't as big as it is today.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Can't believe I bought into the EEDAR/Pachter/game journalists "It will be sold out for months with no games at any price" hype for 3DS, ugh.

Just like people bought into the "we can sell 10m at any price" PR from Sony. It happens.

The similarities between the 3DS launch and the PS3 launch are uncanny...

zomgbbqftw said:
Just like people bought into the "we can sell 10m at any price" PR from Sony. It happens.

The similarities between the 3DS launch and the PS3 launch are uncanny...

It will end up significantly better overall in terms of sales than PS3 because Nintendo can actually drop the price (Making money on 3DS, Sony was losing hundreds on PS3) and because they have much stronger first-party software, but it's still a poor launch.

Agreed, the outcome will probably be different, but the launch characteristics are all eerily similar.

High price, no software, no killer app, no unique experience (well not a decent one), strong competition from the previous generation (PS2, DS). It's all there.

[Nintex]

subversus said:
Crysis 2 is still going strong. Good!
Yeah, it's great to see that Crytek's investments weren't in vain. They've got multiple studios, a great engine, great talent and awesome ideas. Can't wait to see their next projects.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I think the maximum the 3DS should've been priced in retail stores is the amount I paid for online: £199 with a game (RR3D), I know a few people spent a couple of quids less, but still that would have been a fair price and it'd look like a much better deal to an increased audience. Also it needed games priced at £29 tops for b/m and £22 to £25 online. I paid PW and SFIV £26 each and I only did that to get new gams with the hardware, I'm not going to spend the same for any other game coming out from now on, beside the big hitters like kart, Mario and Resi Rev.

onQ123

if the 3DS doesn't take off it's all Nintendo's fault

because they taught the fans that it was all about the Interface & Gameplay not really about the Graphics

& now they are trying to sell them a new DS that didn't really add much to the Interface & Gameplay but added a Graphical feature as it's biggest selling point over the other DS

they added a Circle Pad & Motion Sensing but using the motion sensor kinda goes against the 3D effect

it's hard to sell someone better Graphics & a Thumb Pad when you showed them that it didn't mean much last time around when the PSP had better Graphics & a thumb pad.

3DS will do ok but it won't be because of the 3D & Circle Pad it's going to be when it's looked at as the main DS.

herod

zomgbbqftw said:
Agreed, the outcome will probably be different, but the launch characteristics are all eerily similar.

High price, no software, no killer app, no unique experience (well not a decent one), strong competition from the previous generation (PS2, DS). It's all there.

Attempting to draw conclusions from similarities between consoles and handhelds has always been folly. Sometimes the very same things that are disastrous on one are highly successful on the other.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
apana said:
Well the DS launch wasn't that great either right?
That's a poor comparison. Similar to ''PS1 wasn't so hot at the beginning either'' when PS3 launched.

Nintendo is the one that set the bar very high for 3DS. Their target is 5 million for Europe until December. So, no, everything doesn't go according to keikaku.

Danielsan

Walked into a store yesterday and saw a huge pile of 3DS systems. Figured it would be the Wii all over again, but it isn't even close. Got to play with one of the demo stations and... well I wasn't wowed. Maybe it's because my left eye is fucked and I don't wear contacts or glasses, but I messed around with the slider a bunch and I didn't get anything resembling a wow worthy 3D effect. Just some warped graphics. So yeah, add to that the lacklustre launch and I can understand the disappointing sales. I'm sure it will pick up around December though. It just needs some Mario magic.

dabra

nv4pxy.png

Ireland:
Week 14, 2011 - Entertainment Software (All Prices)

01 (02) Lego Star Wars Iii: The Clone Wars (Lucasarts)
02 (03) Tiger Woods Pga Tour 12: The Masters (Electronic Arts)
03 (01) Crysis 2 (Electronic Arts)
04 (04) Homefront (Thq)
05 (07) Pokemon Black Version (Nintendo)
06 (06) Wwe All Stars (Thq)
07 (05) Pokemon White Version (Nintendo)
08 (08) Shift 2: Unleashed (Electronic Arts)
09 (12) Zumba Fitness (505 Games)
10 (11) Fifa 11 (Electronic Arts)
11 (09) Just Dance 2 (Ubisoft)
12 (13) Call Of Duty: Black Ops (Activision Blizzard)
13 (19) Grand Theft Auto Iv (Take 2)
14 (14) Art Academy (Nintendo)
15 (17) Just Cause 2 (Square Enix Europe)
16 (16) Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision Blizzard)
17 (20) The Sims 3 (Electronic Arts)
18 (__) Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft)
19 (18) Call Of Duty: World At War (Activision Blizzard)
20 (10) Fight Night Champion (Electronic Arts)

2ziy2o3.png

Italy:
Week 13, 2011

01 (01) [PS3] Crysis 2 Limited Edition (Electronic Arts)
02 (03) [NDS] Pokemon Black (Nintendo)
03 (02) [360] Crysis 2 Limited Edition (Electronic Arts)
04 (04) [NDS] Pokemon White (Nintendo
05 (__) [PS3] Shift 2: Unleashed Limited Edition (Electronic Arts)
06 (05) [PS3] Fifa 11 (Electronic Arts)
07 (06) [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo)
08 (__) [360] Shift 2: Unleashed Limited Edition (Electronic Arts)
09 (__) [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Nintendo)
10 (07) [WII] Wii Fit Plus + Balance Board (Nintendo)

Top Bottom