• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 15, 2013

I'm just saying. This is a sales thread and the focus in these threads is supposed to be laser-accurate on the region in question. It wouldn't fly in an MC thread, so it shouldn't fly in here either. You made a ton of statements that were simply not relevant to the market in question, even quoting numbers for a game that hasn't been released in this country.

The WW market has been discussed in MC. My point is your making out I've come in listing stuff in reply to PAL sales. Off topic sure but it was in reply to statements by others of no relevancy to the thread.

We do. We're ahead of the curve on smartphone / tablet adoption.

We have data on software game sales? I know their tracked in some form or another so would be really cool to see a country by country breakdown.

Denial. The numbers don't lie. The dedicated handheld market is contracting sharply.

I was discussing the country mention by the previous user. Worldwide there has been a drop off; but we are seeing the 3DS at least up yoy in Germany and France. So am still not sure why the idea its on a continual downward trajectory is held up as fact.

2013 will be a big year and has been kicked off by the big success of Luigi. It'll be interesting to see how it does across PAL this year.

End of the day we are discussing handhelds as somehow irrelevant whilst a new 3DS game is a top seller. Its daft.

m.i.s.

Banned
Well considering the 3DS has made its way to 30m units already, well in line with what the DS sold (35m units in its first 2 years IIRC), I wouldn't mind betting that it will sell a hell of a lot more than the "half the DS sales" which you guys are predicting.

The ds had this "DS lite effect" where, in combination with the redesign and key software at much lower prices, the DS just went on the up and up. The doubters were silenced, Super Gameboy just forgotten and PSP was vanquished - and eveyone jumped on the bandwagon.

The 3DS already has an "XL" revision and still isn't achieving, let alone surpassing, Nintendo's sales forecasts. That's the reason I remain cautious.

Where are we seeing this exactly?

Where we had numbers pointing this very thing out from 2011 to 2012. Worryingly for the UK it actually fell.

Didn't Amazon France discuss how popular it was in Q4? Probably mostly down to the offer but still true.

On my phone and have quoted them before so not hunting for them again. Has been discussed previously though. Think there was a thread on frances somewhere.

DrWong

France was up (3DS) last year. Don't remember/know for Germany. But it's an easy bet to anticipate the 3DS being globally up YoY when checking what's coming software wise and by the good - at least - performances of its big 2013 already released titles (LM2, FEH, MHU). And there's still the 3DS price card to be used. There's room for growth for the next 2 years. imo.

SmokyDave

The WW market has been discussed in MC. My point is your making out I've come in listing stuff in reply to PAL sales. Off topic sure but it was in reply to statements by others of no relevancy to the thread.
Fair enough. I still think your post was off-base because you misread the other guy. It doesn't really matter though.

We have data on software game sales? I know their tracked in some form or another so would be really cool to see a country by country breakdown.
I dunno. If we do, I'd like to read them. There are figures available for adoption rates, but that tells us nothing of software sales.

I was discussing the country mention by the previous user. Worldwide there has been a drop off; but we are seeing the 3DS at least up yoy in Germany and France. So am still not sure why the idea its on a continual downward trajectory is held up as fact.

2013 will be a big year and has been kicked off by the big success of Luigi. It'll be interesting to see how it does across PAL this year.
That we are even questioning if the device can manage a YoY increase in its 3rd year says it all.

End of the day we are discussing handhelds as somehow irrelevant whilst a new 3DS game is a top seller. Its daft.
I think it's pretty evident that the 3DS is much, much weaker than the DS in software sales. It barely ever troubles these charts and when it does, it's almost always 'big' first party titles. It seems that dedicated handhelds are pretty much irrelevant in the UK.

Is the handheld market becoming irrelevant or is it just returning back down to earth since the handheld market was never that big to being with. The DS is a huge outlier when it compare it to every other nintendo handheld.

SmokyDave

Is the handheld market becoming irrelevant or is it just returning back down to earth since the handheld market was never that big to being with. The DS is a huge outlier when it compare it to every other nintendo handheld.
There is that, of course. I have no idea how well GB / GBA software performed in the UK and that's an essential piece of the puzzle.

Edit: I guess 'irrelevant' is too strong a word to use anyway. 'Rapidly losing relevance, largely due to smartphones' might be a better way of putting it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

woe comes to thee that pledges total focus to the 'extended audience' market it seems, because they be fickle fucks driven purely by "the next big thing" hype.

Nintendo's future looks really pretty bleak when you start looking at the uphill struggle dedicated handhelds will have in the next decade and beyond.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
There is that, of course. I have no idea how well GB / GBA software performed in the UK and that's an essential piece of the puzzle.

IIRC, Captain Smoker posted software sales in the past, and it wasn't so good for GBA actually.

Given the previous performance of Wii U games in the UK, lego city's performance is actully quite encouraging. I doubt the restock of MH will result in a charting position.

What does worry me is that there is still no mention of Zombi U or Nintendoland in the charts,which is odd considering HMV's price cut deal.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Bioshock Infinite 1st Week - 130k
Bioshock Infinite 2nd Week - 32.5k (-75%)
Bioshock Infinite 3rd Week - 18.2k (-44%)

Tomb Raider Week 15 - 15.7k (just over 2.500 unites separating it from BI this week).

Later, reverse calculation for Tomb Raider!
Jesus, Tomb Raider still shifting 15k a week? Not bad for a single player only game.

Square Enix have gotta be pleased with tha... Ahhh, they're never happy with their western developed games.

Where we had numbers pointing this very thing out from 2011 to 2012. Worryingly for the UK it actually fell.

Didn't Amazon France discuss how popular it was in Q4? Probably mostly down to the offer but still true.

On my phone and have quoted them before so not hunting for them again. Has been discussed previously though. Think there was a thread on frances somewhere.
I have found presumably what you're referring to from the Nintendo 3rd Quarter Financial Results briefing.

19l.jpg

The system grew marginally Y/Y in 2012, but that was with a full year's sales compared to launch year; with this growth being attributed to Germany and France. The system was down 24% in the fourth calendar quarter.

For reference purposes: It was also down marginally, eyeballing this chart, Y/Y in the US.
14l.jpg

Jesus, Tomb Raider still shifting 15k a week? Not bad for a single player only game.

When we see numbers for Xbox Live user size I really question how important multiplayer is; theres been a handful of games whose popularity is down to the the online segments and even then its not like COD has ever cheapened on its single player side.

Its not single player only though.

Square Enix have gotta be pleased with tha... Ahhh, they're never happy with their western developed games.

Wada's fortune teller told him Tomb Raider would have an 86 on Metacritic upon release so he budgeted for that over its three year development. Obviously.

Mpl90

Bioshock Infinite 1st Week - 130k
Bioshock Infinite 2nd Week - 32.5k (-75%)
Bioshock Infinite 3rd Week - 18.2k (-44%)

Tomb Raider Week 15 - 15.7k (just over 2.500 unites separating it from BI this week).

Later, reverse calculation for Tomb Raider!

Here it is

Tomb Raider Week 15 - 15.7k (-43%)
Tomb Raider Week 14 - 27.54k (-34%)
Tomb Raider Week 13 - 41.7k (+45%)
Tomb Raider Week 12 - 28.8k (-44%)
Tomb Raider Week 11 - 51.4k (-72%)
Tomb Raider Week 10 (debut week) - 183k

Tomb Raider LTD - around 348k

Thanks shinra; think that is where I was getting Germany from, France/Germany seemed to react well to the XL and NSMB2.

We know in Spain software sales are up yoy (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=49856124) by 72% (not unprecedented for second year on the market so its hard to say if thats hardware growth), but still behind PSP. Portable hardware was down but its hard to know if thats the 3DS as well.

Don't think we had German numbers, think I was thinking of when I looked at the full year round up and the UK/Germany were getting very close in overall market size.

Heres the graph showing the gap between holidays 2011/2012:
18l.jpg

Mpl90

Thanks shinra; think that is where I was getting Germany from, France/Germany seemed to react well to the XL and NSMB2.

We know in Spain software sales are up yoy (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=49856124) by 72% (not unprecedented for second year on the market so its hard to say if thats hardware growth), but still behind PSP. Portable hardware was down but its hard to know if thats the 3DS as well.

Don't think we had German numbers, think I was thinking of when I looked at the full year round up and the UK/Germany were getting very close in overall market size.

Heres the graph showing the gap between holidays 2011/2012:
18l.jpg

Looking at the charts for the whole year, 3DS has been up YOY in Europe for basically every week (outside of launch), with XL having a better effect than the price cut in 2011. It only started lagging during the last 6 weeks of the year, when in 2011 there were Mario Kart and 3D Land, while last year Layton and Paper Mario + NSMB2. So, the end-of-the-year lineup caused the Holiday 2012 being worse than Holiday 2011, otherwise the dip after months of being up can't be explained.

Guardian - http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/apr/15/top-20-video-games

m.i.s.

Banned

This is just not true at all. The GBA itself sold 80 million in just four years. Regular sales agers at NPD threads will know, GBA sales were just huge (I need to get in the habit of bookmarking sales figures).

Some shrinkage in the handheld market is taking place without question. Most of it is at the expense of Sony, but even Nintendo's is declining to some extent and will get more pronounced when compared to the launch of the DS lite (which is when the DS really took off).

Durante

Here it is

Those are some very impressive legs for a core title. What happened in week 13?

Mpl90

Here it is

How Tomb Raider sold on PS3, 360 and PC

TR Week 10 360 - 91.5k (50%)
TR Week 10 PS3 - 76.9k (42%)
TR Week 10 PC - 5.5k (3%)

TR Week 11 360 - 27.76k (54%)
TR Week 11 PS3 - 22.1k (43%)
TR Week 11 PC - 1.03k (2%)

TR Week 12 360 - 15k (52%)
TR Week 12 PS3 - 12.38k (43%)
TR Week 12 PC - 1.15k (4%)

TR Week 13 360 - 20.85k (50%)
TR Week 13 PS3 - 18.77k (45%)
TR Week 13 PC - 1.25k (3%)

TR Week 14 360 - 14k (51%)
TR Week 14 PS3 - 12.12k (44%)
TR Week 14 PC - 1.1k (4%)

TR Week 15 360 - 8.6k (55%)
TR Week 15 PS3 - 6.3k (40%)
TR Week 15 PC - 628 (4%)

jvm

Gamasutra.
How Tomb Raider sold on PS3, 360 and PC

TR Week 10 360 - 91.5k (50%)
TR Week 10 PS3 - 76.9k (42%)
TR Week 10 PC - 5.5k (3%)

TR Week 11 360 - 27.76k (54%)
TR Week 11 PS3 - 22.1k (43%)
TR Week 11 PC - 1.03k (2%)

TR Week 12 360 - 15k (52%)
TR Week 12 PS3 - 12.38k (43%)
TR Week 12 PC - 1.15k (4%)

TR Week 13 360 - 20.85k (50%)
TR Week 13 PS3 - 18.77k (45%)
TR Week 13 PC - 1.25k (3%)

TR Week 14 360 - 14k (51%)
TR Week 14 PS3 - 12.12k (44%)
TR Week 14 PC - 1.1k (4%)

TR Week 15 360 - 8.6k (55%)
TR Week 15 PS3 - 6.3k (40%)
TR Week 15 PC - 628 (4%)
Something's off here.

Your weekly break-outs sum up to:
Xbox 360: 177.71K
PS3: 148.57K
PC: 10.658K

That sums to 337.938K, which isn't the 348K you posted earlier.

Also, I could be wrong. I added them up twice, and got the same results each time. But ... it is Monday and I've only had 1.5 cups of coffee....

Mpl90

Something's off here.

Your weekly break-outs sum up to:
Xbox 360: 177.71K
PS3: 148.57K
PC: 10.658K

That sums to 337.938K, which isn't the 348K you posted earlier.

Also, I could be wrong. I added them up twice, and got the same results each time. But ... it is Monday and I've only had 1.5 cups of coffee....

It's because total of percentages is not 100%: 99% aside from first week, when it was up to 95%.

jvm

Gamasutra.
It's because total of percentages is not 100%: 99% aside from first week, when it was up to 95%.
I thought it could be that, but wasn't sure.

The additional bits are special editions or something? I can't recall how they're reported here.

This is just not true at all. The GBA itself sold 80 million in just four years. Regular sales agers at NPD threads will know, GBA sales were just huge (I need to get in the habit of bookmarking sales figures).

Some shrinkage in the handheld market is taking place without question. Most of it is at the expense of Sony, but even Nintendo's is declining to some extent and will get more pronounced when compared to the launch of the DS lite (which is when the DS really took off).

My bad. I completely forgot the GBA only had 4-5 real years of real selling before the DS and it still did 81 million. Just as huge as the DS actually.

I still believe the 3DS will sell 100 million units in its lifetime. Pokemon X/Y coupled with a convient price cut could send these flying off shelves. But they are still missing that one piece of software that catches fire like Brain Age.

DrWong

It really doesn't matter if the 3DS, or Vita, sell 100 million every year, its software sales that make the console.
And as we see every week in this chart, few in the UK think that anything outside of a mario-related game is worth the insane (57x your average iOS game price) retail price.
Eventually, the publishers will just stop funding development, especially when F2P shite is making millions.

Presented like that indeed, nothing really matters.

Mpl90

I ask here: what do you expect from Fire Emblem at debut in UK? I'm starting thinking it could hit big time, something like top 5.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Luigi is killing it. I've actually seen a child cry because he wanted it and his dad had to tell him he couldn't play it on his DS

never expected it

Mpl90

DrWong

I don't think it deserves a thread. A few sales datas coming from an interview (in French) from Koch Media/Deep Silver regarding Europe and France in particular.

France represent 15% (it's up) of the European Koch Media business.
They're pleased with their PC results

Football Manager 2013 > 45K (France)
Guild Wars 2 > 170K (France but not sure, need to be confirmed)

Catherine > slightly +150K (Europe)
Sonic & All Stars Transformed > 100K (France)
Dead Island > 200K (France), 5M worldwide
Sonic & Mario aux JO de Londres > 400K (France)
Grand Galop (DS) > 60K

About the next-gen transition:

- They hope the "Wii U sales will take off because Nintendo has always been a powerful actor in our market".
- About PS4 and next Xbox: " I'm afraid the transition over these new devices will be more difficult to manage than in the past. It is likely that will coexist for some time full priced games on the current console versions and their successors (no retro-compatibility). It will indeed be impossible for us to cut ourself off the current installed base."

I don't think it deserves a thread. A few sales datas coming from an interview (in French) from Koch Media/Deep Silver regarding Europe and France in particular.

France represent 15% (it's up) of the European Koch Media business.
They're pleased with their PC results

Football Manager 2013 > 45K (France)
Guild Wars 2 > 170K (France but not sure, need to be confirmed)

Catherine > slightly +150K (Europe)
Sonic & All Stars Transformed > 100K (France)
Dead Island > 200K (France), 5M worldwide
Sonic & Mario aux JO de Londres > 400K (France)
Grand Galop (DS) > 60K

About the next-gen transition:

- They hope the "Wii U sales will take off because Nintendo has always been a powerful actor in our market".
- About PS4 and next Xbox: " I'm afraid the transition over these new devices will be more difficult to manage than in the past. It is likely that will coexist for some time full priced games on the current console versions and their successors (no retro-compatibility). It will indeed be impossible for us to cut ourself off the current installed base."

Funny everyone is like i hope the console sells better but im not making any games for it.

Mpl90

Funny everyone is like i hope the console sells better but im not making any games for it.

"We firmly believe it'll do better during the Holidays, we believe in Nintendo! Games on Wii U? We believe so much in Nintendo we don't think our contribute is needed. But don't worry: we'll come soon. Please be excited"

Moonstone

Germany:

1.SimCity - PC (3)
2.Luigi's Mansion 2 - 3DS (1)
3.StarCraft II: Heart Of The Swarm - PC (4)
4.BioShock: Infinite - PS3 (2)
5.BioShock: Infinite - PC (5)
6.Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (98)
7.StarCraft II: Wings Of Liberty - PC (19)
8.Tomb Raider - PS3 (7)
9.FIFA 13 - PS3 (8)
10.New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 3DS (11)

Crawl

How Popular is PC gaming in the UK? Has anyone noticed statistic wise or anecdotal evidence of people spending more time gaming on the PC there?

Sweden:
1) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
2) PlayStation Network Voucher 200 SEK (Card)
3) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
4) Bioshock Infinite (X360)
5) FIFA 13 (PS3)
6) Bioshock Infinite (PS3)
7) SimCity (PC)
8) Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3)
9) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (Wii)
10) Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm (PC)
11) Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS)
12) Tomb Raider (PS3)
13) FIFA 13 (X360)
14) Bioshock Infinite (PC)
15) PlayStation Network Voucher 400 SEK (Card)
16) NHL 13 (X360)
17) Tomb Raider (X360)
18) Live Points 2100 (Card)
19) NHL 13 (PS3)
20) The Sims 3: University Life (PC)

Norway:
1) Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3)
2) Bioshock Infinite (X360)
3) Bioshock Infinite (PS3)
4) Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS)
5) PlayStation Network Voucher 200 NOK (Card)
6) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
7) SimCity (PC)
8) Tomb Raider (PS3)
9) Bioshock Infinite (PC)
10) FIFA 13 (PS3)
11) PlayStation Network Voucher 400 NOK (Card)
12) New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)
13) Live Card NOK 400 (Card)
14) PlayStation Network Voucher 200 NOK (Card)
15) Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3)
16) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (Wii)
17) Far Cry 3 (X360)
18) Defiance (X360)
19) Lego City Undercover (Wii U)
20) Gears of War: Judgment (X360)

Finland:
1) Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3)
2) PlayStation Network Voucher 20 EUR (Card)
3) Live Points 12 Month (Card)
4) Kinect Rush (X360)
5) PlayStation Network Voucher 50 EUR (Card)
6) Dance Dance Revolution: New Moves-Bundle (PS3)
7) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
8) Kinect Star Wars (X360)
9) NHL 13 (PS3)
10) FIFA 13 Bonus Edition (PS3)
11) Bioshock Infinite (PS3)
12) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (PS3)
13) Bioshock Infinite (X360)
14) SimCity (PC)
15) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (Wii)
16) NHL 13: Stanley Cup Collector's Edition (PS3)
17) Tomb Raider (PS3)
18) Lego Lord of the Rings (PS3)
19) GTA IV (PS3)
20) Dance Central 2 (X360)

Denmark:
1) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (Wii)
2) SimCity (PC)
3) PlayStation Network Voucher 200 KR (Card)
4) FIFA 13 (PS3)
5) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
6) Just Dance 4 (Wii)
7) Bioshock Infinite (PS3)
8) Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3)
9) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (PS3)
10) Tomb Raider (PS3)
11) Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel (PS3)
12) Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3)
13) The Sims 3: University Life (PC)
14) Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 - Limited Edition (PS3)
15) Football Manager 2013 (PC)
16) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
17) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
18) Farming Simulator 2013 (PC)
19) Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm (PC)
20) GTA Episodes: Liberty City (PS3)

http://www.gfkhitlist.com/game.aspx

Mpl90

Germany console only preorder chart (11.04 - 17.04)

1. ( 1 ) Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS, Nintendo)
2. ( 3 ) Injustice (PS3, Warner)
3. (NEU) Tales of Xillia (PS3, Namco Bandai)
4. ( 8 ) Injustice (Xbox 360, Warner)
5. (NEU) Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS, Nintendo)
6. ( 5 ) LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins (3DS, Nintendo)
7. ( 6 ) Dragon's Dogma - Dark Arisen (PS3, Capcom)
8. ( 4 ) Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS3, Ubisoft)
9. (NEU) Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS, Nintendo)
10.(NEU) Grand Theft Auto V (PS3, Rockstar Games)

Top Bottom