• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 29, 2017

gtj1092

Crash is a beast. Decent debut for Splatoon. Expect it to open bigger than MKD in the US. I do think the Japanese sales hype does make it come across as a bigger franchise than it actually is so I can see why some would be surprised at it's sales in the UK. Most thought it would be number one easily. Maybe next week. Judging by MK and Zelda sales I'm thinking US and Japan got most of the restock.

What would have been a great result ? ARMS on Switch outselling Tekken 7 on 3 mayor platforms ? Honest question.

Not everyone has to agree every switch game has great sales.

Zedark

Another interesting tidbit:

Christopher Dring said:
If you sold 1,000 boxed games this week, you'd have got into the Top 40 UK charts

That gives some kind of range: all games in the chart are between 29k (first place) and 1k (40th place).

Edit: Also, from the value charts, we can see Crash is over MK8D, so that means MK8D is smaller than 29k *30/50 = 17.4 k. So, MK8D < 17.4 k (which is pretty logical I think). It's more likely < 14k, though, since MK8D is perched between the two GTAV skus, which together add up to less than 28k.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Outselling zelda for June the debut month. It has everywhere else iirc

I get that, but..
Zelda is on two systems and THE system seller for the console....no one buys a Switch without Zelda here. BotW is pretty much what GTA V is on the other consoles....there are many new releases that get outsold by GTA V week in and week out because that the first game new console owners will pick up.

For all we know the difference between ARMS sales and BotW NSW/WiiU for June are in the low single digit thousands. Its hard to tell without numbers.

noshten

Splatoon 2 Amazon 2017 Rankings(games only):

37th in UK
11th in France
14th in Germany
5th in the US
14th in Canada

I honestly think nearly 30K in the UK is very promising for Splatoon 2. Should do a lot better in France & Germany. While I can see it having a similar opening in Spain.
In terms of the NA, we will definitely see a very big launch based on the Amazon ranking for the game, discounts helped even thought at one point Amazon was basically out of stock for a week.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
unbenanntgpkpe.png

ARMS didn't set the chart on fire in Germany either.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I would have hoped for more for Splatoon 2 in UK given the install base and the release schedule of the other Switch games, but this is still a pretty good result.

Mafro

I'm sort of surprised Splatoon 2 did better than the first game (even though it's on Switch vs Wii U).

I saw floods of tv ads for the first game in the UK...but I've personally yet to catch one tv ad for Splatoon 2.
I've seen a ton of them over the past few weeks. They've started showing the Mario Kart one again as well.

Not shocked it didn't reach the top spot given the price and the Switch supply problems. One of my friends at work has been after one for weeks now, missed out the last time Amazon had stock and now they're apparently not getting any more for another month.

NotLiquid

Funny how the chart basically mirrors that of Splatoon 1's release. Second place but beaten by a game that came out a couple weeks earlier (Witcher 3 in the case of the first game).

Refused

Neo Member
Splatoon 2 was a Friday release though, so decent number for one weekend. How long of a tail it'll have is much more interesting.

test_account

XP-39C²
Console is sold out so is doing as well as it possibly can hope. Third behind Zelda and MK8 isn't horrible. What do you expect?
How much has the Switch sold in the UK so far?

Doesn't include digital? I bought mine digital, I'm sure many more did due to the file size.
It doesnt, but every game in the chart is available as download too, so i dont think Splatoon 2 has any "advantage" (not sure what the best word to use is) over the other games in this regards.

Shiggy

Doesn't include digital? I bought mine digital, I'm sure many more did due to the file size.

The digital share has been incredibly small for Nintendo software. In 2015/2016, it was just about 15% in Europe. Doubtful this changed much with Switch.

Chauzu

Just because you disagree with a title selling bad doesn't mean you are part of a defense force. Can we try and be better than that?

Cool to see Crash still selling that way. Looks like Splatoon 2 had a good debut as well!

Wow at Crash. I can already see at least half a dozen of new remasters incoming.

We've had a fair bit of remasters/collection/re-releases this gen.

None, has come close to Crash, especially for a property many were quick to be dismissive about its chances.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You sure are in major defense mode in this thread.

If thats your impression - fine by me.
Im just interested to know what expectations some people had in the first place to be disappointed with the performance. Sometimes its justified other times they are just unrealistic considering the market environment.

It benefits the Sales-Gaf discussions when some users from time to time think and explain their expectation...i only asked members who post frequently in Sales-Gaf threads because their line of thought or explanation might include information i dont have. Splatoon 2 is one of the bigger release for a still newish console, so obv. as a Nintendo fan and Sales-Gaf participant im interested in its general performance.

....but sure take it as defense mode, you cant really discuss anything without being called a fanboy, port-beggar, apologist etc. here anyway so thats okay.

Edit:

Not everyone has to agree every switch game has great sales.

This has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.
If someone posts that game X underperformed or didnt meet personal expectations ....its an issue if i follow up and ask what this expectations were to begin with ?

Just because i ask about it doesnt mean that the persons opinion is wrong or has to change. Its just a discussion.

Congrats to VV. Now please remake the Spyro trilogy.

28k sounds really freaking bad I am sorry. UK is really not a viable Nintendo market outside for Mario and Zelda - at least it feels like it.

Maybe Nintendo should have priced Splatoon 2 lower than £50.

I got my copy and an amiibo but I wonder how many didn't bother just because it's overpriced

Fate/EXTELLA's Switch port can't have shifted many copies at all. It's absent from the top 40, so it's sold under 1000 copies, and it charted below Super Bomberman R and Cars 3 on Switch.

Phamit

I don't remember are games in official Bundles counted as sales for the charts in the UK?
I mean bundles like the splatoon 2 bundle, when the game is inside the box.

It's their third largest market in Europe, not too long ago it even was their strongest market in Europe.

Those were the days, makes a lot of sense when you consider that Jedward marketing campaign for Dragon Quest IX, and stuff like inviting Mr. Sakaguchi into London for The Last Story's launch.

Nintendo DS has become the biggest-selling games hardware in UK chart history, surpassing 10 million units sold, MCV can reveal.

The device hit the milestone in week 47 of this year according to GfK-ChartTrack data, taking it past the record held by Sony’s PS2.

UK unit sales of PS2 stand at 10.02 million to date, whilst DS has already hit 10.05 million – with a bountiful Christmas period yet to finish.

DS has been on the UK market for just four years, eight months, having launched in March 2005. PlayStation 2 launched nine years ago in November 2000.

Nintendo DS has sold at a rate of over 5,700 consoles per day in the UK, where almost one in six people own one of the handhelds.

MCV

I think Wii got to 8m units in the UK, so almost one in six people, or one in every 3 households (maybe). Crazy that combined install base that gen for Nintendo hardware was 18m in the UK alone.

jonno394

Fate/EXTELLA's Switch port can't have shifted many copies at all. It's absent from the top 40, so it's sold under 1000 copies, and it charted below Super Bomberman R and Cars 3 on Switch.

Can't say I'm at all surprised. RRP was far too high on this imo. Should've been a cheaper release.

EGOMON

The excuses and defense force for Splatoon 2 poor performance are getting better with every reply lol
Crash on it 4th week outselling is just hilarious.

MetalSlug

I'm sort of surprised Splatoon 2 did better than the first game (even though it's on Switch vs Wii U).

I saw floods of tv ads for the first game in the UK...but I've personally yet to catch one tv ad for Splatoon 2.

The only game I've seen advertised here in the UK this past few weeks has been 1-2 Switch.

Maybe they'll start advertising it later on.

Damn crash, was anyone expecting it to do this well?
Splatoon should have decent legs.
If thats your impression - fine by me.

....but sure take it as defense mode, you cant really discuss anything without being called a fanboy, port-beggar, apologist etc. here anyway so thats okay.

I mean... There has to be a reason why you got that tag for one.

Regarding you 2nd point, i got called a console warrior shitposter by a mod and got a 3 week ban for mocking the switch's voice chat system when it was first revealed. Another week for asking people not to discuss about the switch in the mh world thread. Thats just how it is, best learn to deal with it since ive seen you get bothered a lot by any criticism thrown at nintendo.

Splatoon 2 UK launch sales are average at best. Clearly not a bomb, but it's debut didn't set the charts on fire. Will be interesting to watch its performance over the coming months and see what kind of legs it has.

Crash sales are N-Sane. I knew it wouldo do well but this is way way beyond what I expected.

Splatoon 2 sales are meh. Arms sales overall are disappointing. The Switch seems to be stuck in the mud with these big releases. Some of it is definitely install base but I still feel like it's an under performance. I wonder if the game price has a part to do with it. 59% increase over thr first game at a higher price. Wonder if it will see a boost through promotions.

Mory Dunz

I
It benefits the Sales-Gaf discussions when some users from time to time think and explain their expectation...i only asked members who post frequently in Sales-Gaf threads because their line of thought or explanation might include information i dont have. Splatoon 2 is one of the bigger release for a still newish console, so obv. as a Nintendo fan and Sales-Gaf participant im interested in its general performance.

yea....you probably already know the difference between my type of post and something like this lol:

The excuses and defense force for Splatoon 2 poor performance are getting better with every reply lol
Crash on it 4th week outselling is just hilarious.

Top Bottom