• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 29, 2017

Not surprised at all by the Bandicunt's continued domination. Get used to seeing it at/around the top of the charts for a long time.

I would definitely think so. Still, the selective surprise about Crash selling so much better than Splatoon 2 in UK strikes me as an odd thing because Crash really is a big IP and is very popular in UK. From some comments made in the past few weeks you would think Crash was a minor IP.
I know plenty predicted bad numbers for Crash, which makes me scratch my head tbh
For all intents and purposes, Splatoon 2 and Crash sold the same amount (physical only). So, I don't see why it is a big deal either. Especially once you take other factors into consideration. I guess being in that number 1 position matters more for some even if the numbers make things clear enough.

Tricky. Mario is a bigger IP than Splatoon but the Rabbids part puts it squarely in spinoff territory. I would be ballsy though, I think Rabbids launches bettef than 30k honestly.
Yeah, I'm thinking the rabbids part is what will drag it down but, than again, I may be underestimating the pull of Mario. It will be interesting to see for sure.

Alright. I never consciously experienced the Activision years of Crash, where it admittedly did do a lot worse than the original games, so my thoughts always remained based on the original trilogy. I'm probably the one with a skewed perspective on this, since I based it off of the first 3 games only and didn't consider the later games, even if that turned out to be the correct perspective. I did feel Crash had much more potential in UK and a restock for Crash was bound to happen at anytime, so that's why I felt it had a good chance to land higher than Splatoon 2. Saying it's a foregone conclusion was too strong on my part, apologies for that.
No worries man, just good discussion.

Zedark

Splatoon sales seem super disappointing honestly. Crash sales are still insane
I am interested in learning what Splatoon 2 numbers you consider satisfactory, since I think being 59% up from the first game is good in its own right, and even more so when the Switch install base is still pretty small.

yea you could right. tbh I don't have much a frame of reference for FW UK sales, since I don't pay much attention to them like I said.

I could be totally wrong but I'm betting that it gets a really big marketing push. It shouldn't have trouble topping Arms and I think Mario and even the Rabbids are bigger brands.

Yeah, I'm thinking the rabbids part is what will drag it down but, than again, I may be underestimating the pull of Mario. It will be interesting to see for sure.

I think the Rabbids may help depending on the markrting. The wackiness may help draw interest from people who otherwise may not care. The game looks really good too.

I think what will drag Mario & Rabbids down more than anything else is it's genre.

This is a possibility. But I also think that this is a game where word of mouth will help it especially if it's good.

What is the Switches install base in the UK?

Honestly, these Switch launches are disappointing to me. I dunno if it's just general lack of enthusiasm or its the price but for new hardware I expexted more 40k launches.

so.. no PSVR games anywhere to be seen? that's sad :/ it's like a PS6 to me, totally awesome new way to play and the games are fantastic. feels like a massive leap that i didn't expect to experience just yet.

people in their millions apparently rather just play old ass Crash games (that were never even that great imo) than stuff like Polybius, Statik and Superhot. truly depressing. i HOPE it's just the price preventing mass adoption, but i'm not so sure. because truthfully it's not THAT expensive. PSVR+camera+a game costs the same as 4 SNES games combined back in the day (my dad paid over 720 Finnish marks equaling well over 100 euros for Aladdin alone, which i beat in one sitting).

and now i sound like some VR snob, fucking great. oh well i'll hit post anyway, no reason to hide my true form.

and YES i'm still in my honeymoon period with the shiny new device, gimme a break.

Hasney

Honestly, these Switch launches are disappointing to me. I dunno if it's just general lack of enthusiasm or its the price but for new hardware I expexted more 40k launches.

Why? It can't really be enthusiasm as the console is selling the most it can and selling out. Zelda sold slightly more than the 80,000 the Switch launched at with an over 100% attach rate. Why would many other games that aren't billed as possibly the game of the generation come close to that?

We don't know what the install base of the Switch is, but we have to assume that either the restocks are low volume or there's a rabid consumer demand to snap them all up. Evidence points more to the former.

I remember when The Order 1886's ~39K was the yard-stick used for first week bomba/success!

It was comparative to it's install base with a better flow of stock of PS4s at launch and it being 15 months down the line after release. Everything is relative.
Isn't this a full week for Crash vs 3 days (if that) for Splatoon?

Sales are super front loaded and Crash has been out a few weeks, so it doesn't really matter.

NSESN

Really sad that Splatoon 2 didn't take the top spot. But at least the number itself isn't bad, hope it takes next week.

Edit: Lol at people wanting to call bomba already. I am getting dejavu from Arms.

Why? It can't really be enthusiasm as the console is selling the most it can and selling out. Zelda sold slightly more than the 80,000 the Switch launched at with an over 100% attach rate. Why would many other games that aren't billed as possibly the game of the generation come close to that?

We don't know what the install base of the Switch is, but we have to assume that either the restocks are low volume or there's a rabid consumer demand to snap them all up. Evidence points more to the former.

Becauee the Switch is suppose to be the new hotness and major releases from Nintendo aren't really doing much on the charts. It makes you wonder if the interest in the software isnt there as much as just playing Zelda and Mario Kart.

28k isn't a great launch. Its not horrible but it still makes me wonder why the sales are so soft.

Hasney

Becauee the Switch is suppose to be the new hotness and major releases from Nintendo aren't really doing much on the charts. It makes you wonder if the interest in the software isnt there as much as just playing Zelda and Mario Kart.

28k isn't a great launch. Its not horrible but it still makes me wonder why the sales are so soft.

Well yeah, of course Zelda and Mario Kart are doing better, but it's all relative. I don't know why anyone would expect Splatoon to launch with sales close to either of those games. It's like thinking Little Big Planet should be getting the sales of Uncharted.

Takat

I wonder how Switch game do digitally. I prefer to d/l everything and have it on my Switch, it's a portable, and it kinda feels like a chore to switch carts all the time for games.

NSESN

Becauee the Switch is suppose to be the new hotness and major releases from Nintendo aren't really doing much on the charts. It makes you wonder if the interest in the software isnt there are nuch as just playing Zelda and Mario Kart

You aren't using just one country as a measure right? Switch games get the top spot in other countries all the time, and even in UK Zelda and MK8 are having good legs.

We'll see.

I wouldn't be surprised if surprised if it didn't already taking Japan into consideration.

Hasney

I wonder how Switch game do digitally. I prefer to d/l everything and have it on my Switch, it's a portable, and it kinda feels like a chore to switch carts all the time for games.

There's part of me that wouldn't be that shocked as most games are launching on the eShop at the same price as retail is mostly holding now, but then another part of me that thinks the potential is hindered by SD cards and low internal memory.

so.. no PSVR games anywhere to be seen? that's sad :/ it's like a PS6 to me, totally awesome new way to play and the games are fantastic. feels like a massive leap that i didn't expect to experience just yet.

people in their millions apparently rather just play old ass Crash games (that were never even that great imo) than stuff like Polybius, Statik and Superhot. truly depressing. i HOPE it's just the price preventing mass adoption, but i'm not so sure. because truthfully it's not THAT expensive. PSVR+camera+a game costs the same as 4 SNES games combined back in the day (my dad paid over 720 Finnish marks equaling well over 100 euros for Aladdin alone, which i beat in one sitting).

and now i sound like some VR snob, fucking great. oh well i'll hit post anyway, no reason to hide my true form.

and YES i'm still in my honeymoon period with the shiny new device, gimme a break.

It's one bloody expensive add-on for a technology that I'm still unable to even try with ease. I don't know a single person with any VR unit, so the only way to try one would be at a gaming convention/expo, or there's a gaming/arcade centre 40 miles away that has ORs in to try once you've paid the entry fee. So until I've tried one I wouldn't even consider a purchase.

Plus it has the same issue that the OG Kinect and the PS Move had: being an add-on released several years after launch, it creates a chicken and egg problem after the launch window. Devs (1st and 3rd party) are reluctant to release games solely for that add on unless sales are extraordinary (as you are marketing to a tiny fraction of (for instance) the entire PS4 userbase), so they either don't release any titles for VR, release budget titles, or make hybrid titles which please no one. With the lack of software support this inhibits uptake of the add-on and associated software (as well as reducing marketing/hype/press interest), leaving a lack of an install base/poor software sales for devs, which disincentivises software support, which inhibits software/hardware sales, which....etc etc.

I really hope it is a succes overall, but it was never going to be an easy ride to get this device off the ground.

Shiggy

Isn't the Switch doing better in Spain? And I think 3DS did too.

Based on the latest numbers we have (2015/16) and in terms of revenue:
Germany - EUR 225.7m
UK & Ireland - EUR 144.5m
Italy - EUR 72.4m

And then we have one big number for France, Spain, Portugal, Benelux, Russia: EUR 268m
Of that, France should be pretty similar to Germany. I'd be surprised if Spain was very far above Italy.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Splatoon 1 sold 4.57m. This isn't going to close.

Crash is cheap, will likely sell for years too and the PS4 has a massive userbase...we dont know how it will end up. I also think Splatoon 2 will outsell it mainly because of Japan...but its still very early.

NSESN

Germany - EUR 225.7m
Italy - EUR 72.4m

And then we have one big number for France, Spain, Portugal, Benelux, Russia: EUR 268m
Of that, France should be pretty similar to Germany. I'd be surprised if Spain was very far above Italy.
Interesting. I thought Spain would do better seeing the success of Yokai Watch.

I am interested in learning what Splatoon 2 numbers you consider satisfactory, since I think being 59% up from the first game is good in its own right, and even more so when the Switch install base is still pretty small.

I do wonder how many of those sales were console bundles helping to boost its figure. I mean if you wanted a Switch it was probably the few ways to get one, whether you wanted the game or not. The original Splatoon never had that benefit on the WiiU so it's harder to gauge exactly how much better it's done like for like.

panda-zebra

It's an expensive add-on that lends itself to digital games not discs, nobody wants to be taking it off to faff around swapping discs over, it's a pita, and most games don't release physically. Farpoint charting decently thanks to Aim bundling and launch games charting will be outliers.

With the lack of software support this inhibits uptake of the add-on and associated software (as well as reducing marketing/hype/press interest), leaving a lack of an install base/poor software sales for devs, which disincentivises software support, which inhibits software/hardware sales, which....etc etc.

I really hope it is a succes overall, but it was never going to be an easy ride to get this device off the ground.

PSVR releases are coming thick and fast - there's 4 or 5 this week. The PSVR thread is difficult to keep up with right now.

Takat

There's part of me that wouldn't be that shocked as most games are launching on the eShop at the same price as retail is mostly holding now, but then another part of me that thinks the potential is hindered by SD cards and low internal memory.

I have MK8, Splatoon 2, some 5-6 eshop games and demos, and I have 5.6G left. I wanted to buy ARMS digital too and I would have had space.

Yes, I have a 64GB SD at the ready, but I don't think it's that bother some. Also you get more My nintendo points when you buy digitally. much more.

I'm interested in Crash legs WW. I imagine it will steadily sell over the course of the generation. The OG Crash titles were consistently at the top of the PS Store best seller classics list. So, it may be possible for it to continue to sell like that through the generation.

PantsuJo

Germany - EUR 225.7m
Italy - EUR 72.4m

I'm italian and I can confirm that number.

Italy seems a Sony Land nowadays.
It seems we have returned to PS1/PS2 times here

Hasney

I have MK8, Splatoon 2, some 5-6 eshop games and demos, and I have 5.6G left. I wanted to buy ARMS digital too and I would have had space.

Yes, I have a 64GB SD at the ready, but I don't think it's that bother some. Also you get more My nintendo points when you buy digitally. much more.

But not Zelda :p That's not bad though. but don't talk to me about My Nintendo points when I can't use them on Switch things yet....

You aren't using just one country as a measure right? Switch games get the top spot in other countries all the time, and even in UK Zelda and MK8 are having good legs.

I wouldn't be surprised if surprised if it didn't already taking Japan into consideration.

Well we are specifically talking about the UK right now so yeah I am. I don't think anyone ever implied that like France or Germany were a problem for Nintendo.

Crash is cheap, will likely sell for years too and the PS4 has a massive userbase...we dont know how it will end up. I also think Splatoon 2 will outsell it mainly because of Japan...but its still very early.

I wouldn't be surprised if Crash hit 5 million worldwide when all is said and done. Having said that, I still dont think it's going to be close.

Well yeah, of course Zelda and Mario Kart are doing better, but it's all relative. I don't know why anyone would expect Splatoon to launch with sales close to either of those games. It's like thinking Little Big Planet should be getting the sales of Uncharted.

Who said close? Expecting a 40kish launch from Splatoon isn't outrageous imo.

Nice to see Crash continue to have N-Sane sales <3 Splatoon sales are up from the first game so that's pretty decent for it even if it didn't exactly set the charts on fire.

Top Bottom