• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 30, 2008

Arde5643 said:
This sounds pretty awesome actually.

Should we start Nintendo-izing names of countries around the world?

it would be awesome if some one also drew a map....

the united mushroom kingdom sounds awesome

doicare

BishopLamont said:
Nintendo owns the charts in nearly every single European country, but no no no, in the UK it's because of the kids. The problem with what doicare was doing is that he stretched this "kids and holidays" theory all the way back to fucking march or something. Not only that, he hand-picked dates, instead of giving an actual period where it was occuring. It's nothing but damage control for his idiocy for the past two years. There's no two camps dude, it's Neogaf versus some idiot.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried, i haven't hand picked any dates, i've taken all the dates and shown that everytime the uk schools break up for their holidays the wii and ds get a boost in the amount of software that charts in the top 40, denial is such a terrible thing.

Arde5643

doicare said:
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried, i haven't hand picked any dates, i've taken all the dates and shown that everytime the uk schools break up for their holidays the wii and ds get a boost in the amount of software that charts in the top 40, denial is such a terrible thing.

l_b1baad815541cdccb1d491306f4064ab.gif

I'm seriously speechless here guys - the infamous master of denial and lowbrow spinning actually admitting that denial is a bad, no, a horrible thing?
Wow, and I thought I've seen it all.

Alcibiades

what's strange is the continuing perception among game journalists in the US that the Playstation is strong in Europe outside of the UK.

On bonus round and various 1up shows over the past year Europe is seen as a Sony stronghold when that is obviously no longer the case (nor was it obvious that it was still the case post-Wii launch).

I wonder how long it's going to take for that perception to change.

Neomoto

A Nintendo top 10 AND 18 / 20 ? :eek:

What is all this about kids? So now only kids buy Nintendo products? Here I thought Wii appealed to everyone. How many hundreds of thousands of kids go out and buy Wii Fit? You know, the one that is nr 1 if it's actually in stock. I guess you can attribute almost every single game on that top 40 (including competition) to games kids want, because they are accessible. Wii and DS both just cater to the mainstream and casual and non-gamer perfectly. They are for everyone, even for whole families playing a game together. That could just as likely favor boosts in times of summer. Or it could also be thanks to re-runs of marketing campaigns, or increased Wii hardware units (and Wii Fit) leading to more software bought etc.

SovanJedi said:
Haha that is actually pretty awesome.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I saw a new TV ad for Mario Kart today.
That's Nintendo's strategy for Q3/Q4: replacing new games by new ads!
And it works, they are getting richer while taking the time to work on MotionPlus titles, new disruptions and new hits. I have no doubt 2009 will be the year of the wii. And with a DS reaching a 100 million userbase, Nintendo is going to start being really rich. Insanely rich.

Alcibiades said:
what's strange is the continuing perception among game journalists in the US that the Playstation is strong in Europe outside of the UK.

On bonus round and various 1up shows over the past year Europe is seen as a Sony stronghold when that is obviously no longer the case (nor was it obvious that it was still the case post-Wii launch).

I wonder how long it's going to take for that perception to change.

Europe is considered a Sony stronghold in comparison to the 360. I don't think any game journalists are stupid enough to think that anybody but Nintendo is currently dominating the continent.

doicare said:

But you have to show that there is a relation between the 2 data.

I can say that people with bigger feet have better reading skills... this fact is true, but there is no relationship between shoe size and reading skills!!!

the fact is that babies cant read and they have small feet, adults have bigger feet and know how to read... the real relationship is between age and reading skills!!!

doicare

Starchasing said:
But you have to show that there is a relation between the 2 data.

I can say that people with bigger feet have better reading skills... this fact is true, but there is no relationship between shoe size and reading skills!!!

the fact is that babies cant read and they have small feet, adults have bigger feet and know how to read... the real relationship is between age and reading skills!!!

I already have but here's the data expanded some more:

2008:
Wk/Wii SW
30 13 - kids on summer holidays july 26th 2008
29 15 - kids breaking up for summer holidays july 19th 2008
28 14 - kids breaking up for summer holidays july 12th 2008
27 12
26 12
25 11
24 12
23 14
22 11
21 15 - kids half term may 24th 2008
20 15 - kids half term may 17th 2008
19 12
18 13
17 14
16 11
15 12
14 10
13 14 - Kids easter weekend 2008

kids on holiday average - 14.33
rest of the year - 12

Sadly for 2007 data chart track was doing a different format of charts up until the 18th of august, but what data their is shows the same thing.

2007 data:
Wk/Wii SW
34 6
33 8
32 11 - kids half term october 20th 2007
31 10 - kids half term october 13th 2007
30 8
39 7
38 8
37 8
36 8 - kids on summer holidays september 8th 2007
35 9 - kids on summer holidays september 1st 2007
34 9 - kids on summer holidays august 25th 2007
33 10 - kids on summer holidays august 18th 2007

kids on holiday average - 9.5
rest of the year - 7.5

doicare said:

Do you have any statistical background???

Im telling you that there can be a numeric relationship but yet at the same time there can be no relationship between the data

I gave you an example that show a numeric relationship. People with bigger feet can read better. That can be proved.

But that doesnt mean that people with bigger feet can read better BECAUSE they have bigger feet.

Protip: Correlation does not imply causation.

I dont think he has the background to understand that. Lor maybe he has and he is just pulling our legs

Parl

Starchasing said:
I gave you an example that show a numeric relationship. People with bigger feet can read better. That can be proved.

But that doesnt mean that people with bigger feet can read better BECAUSE they have bigger feet.
s
I think I good way of explaining it is...

People who go to sleep with their shoes on are loads more likely than people who go to sleep with their shoes off to wake up with a headache.

Quite strange that, unless you think that people who go to sleep with their shoes on are normally drunk.

doicare

Starchasing said:
Do you have any statistical background???

Im telling you that there can be a numeric relationship but yet at the same time there can be no relationship between the data

I dont think he has the background to understand that. Lor maybe he has and he is just pulling our legs

I fully understand all of this, however on gaf the average user doesn't. I know more about sales then the average person does and all you have to do is look at the usa gaf sales prediction league to see an example of this. I have stated something which in my opinion is just common sense and i have provided statistical proof to back it up. What you are saying is this not 100% conclusive proof and could just be coincidence, i agree their is a chance it is just a coincidence but i think that chance is highly unlikely, what i do ask tho is if it just a coincidence then what is the real reason for nintendo products getting sales boosts at the same time as kids breaking up from school if it is not kids buying these products?

Arde5643

Taurus said:
Makes you wonder why mods aren't doing anything...
doicare is equivalent to that lonely guy you see on Times Square or on the public park waving the handmade sign yelling "The world is ending! And I've got proof! Proof I tell ya!"

No matter what you do to him sans murder, he'll be back and do the same thing over and over again.

He's totally harmless but very annoying.

Cipherr

I just want to know why the boards shows me a box that says:

"doicares post has been hidden because he is on your ignore list" Well wow, thanks for that..... As if I didnt know? Would be nice to not even be reminded that he exists in the thread, but I guess thats a lost wish with everyone that quotes him anyway.

doicare said:
I already have but here's the data expanded some more:

2008:
Wk/Wii SW
30 13 - kids on summer holidays july 26th 2008
29 15 - kids breaking up for summer holidays july 19th 2008
28 14 - kids breaking up for summer holidays july 12th 2008
27 12
26 12
25 11
24 12
23 14
22 11
20 15 - kids half term may 17th 2008
19 12
18 13
17 14
16 11
15 12
14 10
13 14 - Kids easter weekend 2008

This would be all well and good if these were the correct dates.

Your first sample, Easter, is week 13. Schools actually broke up the week after - w/e Apr 5th - and lasted 2 weeks. So it's actually weeks 14/15. May half term kicked off week ending 24th and lasted through to the next week which would have taken in weeks 21/22 and not 20/21. And schools didn't break up for summer holiday until last week so only this week can be counted for the summer holiday. Unless kids were just getting themselves ready for the holiday in advance to avoid the rush.

Some links to government websites with the school dates to verify this information (each council sets its own dates for the school terms so I've provided a few to show that all highlight the same dates)

Sussex: http://www.westsussex.gov.uk/ccm/cms-service/stream/asset/?asset_id=3087394
Hampshire: http://www.hants.gov.uk/education/schools/holidays.php
Surrey: http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspages.nsf/LookupWebPagesByTITLE_RTF/School+term+and+holiday+dates?opendocument
Reading: http://www.reading.gov.uk/educationandlearning/schools/termdates/General.asp?id=SX9452-A78286B2
Durham: http://www.durham.gov.uk/durhamcc/usp.nsf/pws/School+Holidays+-+School+Holidays

Putting this information into the window you've picked...

2008:
Wk/Wii SW
30 13 - kids breaking up for summer holidays july 26th 2008
29 15
28 14
27 12
26 12
25 11
24 12
23 14
22 11 - kids half term may 31st 2008
20 15
19 12
18 13
17 14
16 11
15 12 - Kids easter break 2008
14 10 - Kids easter break 2008
13 14

Average on holiday - 12.2
Average not on holiday - 13

Makes the stats look a little different.

doicare

lochnesssnowman said:

What you fail to realise is each county council sets it's own dates and will be slightly different, i've seen more councils dates that match what i say then the few that you have posted. Plus for big holidays the last week of term is a muck about week where next to nothing gets done and kids will also treat this like it was their main holiday.

lochnesssnowman said:
2008:
Wk/Wii SW
30 13 - kids breaking up for summer holidays july 26th 2008
29 15 - kids skipped classes to buy games for their holidays
28 14 - kids skipped classes to buy games for their holidays
27 12
26 12
25 11
24 12
23 14 - kids skipped classes to buy games for their holidays
22 11 - kids half term may 31st 2008
20 15 - kids skipped classes to buy games for their holidays
19 12
18 13
17 14 - kids skipped classes to buy games for their holidays
16 11
15 12 - Kids easter break 2008
14 10 - Kids easter break 2008
13 14 - kids skipped classes to buy games for their holidays

Average on holiday - 12.2
Average not on holiday - 13

Makes the stats look a little different.
I done the work for him.

doicare said:
Plus for big holidays the last week of term is a muck about week where next to nothing gets done and kids will also treat this like it was their main holiday.
Yep so the kids don't study or do any work and go out and buy games instead. lol

Leezard

donny2112 said:
Wii software has been really dominating the Top 40 each week despite having about the same # of titles as DS.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/donny2112/Sales%20Numbers/UK_wk30_both.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Nice chart as always. I like the weighted one since it doesn't really make sense to count #40 as much as #1 when one is talking about sales. Something some people seem to like to do.

doicare

BishopLamont said:
I done the work for him.

:lol O dear who said anything about kids skipping class, i guess you didn't go to a school where the last week of term you very rarely did any serious work and you have no homework or a fraction of the work you would normally have.

doicare said:
:lol O dear who said anything about kids skipping class, i guess you didn't go to a school where the last week of term you very rarely did any serious work and you have no homework or a fraction of the work you would normally have.
Maybe it's like that with you and your group of friends, but that doesn't mean it's like that everywhere.

wrowa said:
Than verifiy your informations like he did.
Oh, you can't? Too bad
Everything he says is purely anecdotal, that's why he can get away with so much bullshit, even though he passes off as fact.

doicare

BishopLamont said:
Maybe it's like that with you and your group of friends, but that doesn't mean it's like that everywhere.

No that would be every single person i have ever met who has been to school in the uk in the past 15 years.

BishopLamont said:
Everything he says is purely anecdotal, that's why he can get away with so much bullshit, even though he passes off as fact.

Nope not anecdotal, just fact. When i get the chance i will look through the ENTIRE countries school council database and post the dates, the entire process is boring and nobody will care but in the next 24 hours i'll do it.

doicare said:
No that would be every single person i have ever met who has been to school in the uk in the past 15 years.
Again more anecdotal, well done.

doicare said:
Nope not anecdotal, just fact. When i get the chance i will look through the ENTIRE countries school council database and post the dates, the entire process is boring and nobody will care but in the next 24 hours i'll do it.
So you haven't checked these dates, and yet you already picked the dates in that list..More evidence you're just handpicking dates.

doicare said:
What you fail to realise is each county council sets it's own dates and will be slightly different, i've seen more councils dates that match what i say then the few that you have posted. Plus for big holidays the last week of term is a muck about week where next to nothing gets done and kids will also treat this like it was their main holiday.

I did realise that, which is why I posted 5 different councils. I can post some more if you like...

Manchester: http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=1258
Westminster - London: http://www.westminster.gov.uk/educationandlearning/schoolsandcolleges/schoolsinformation/termdates.cfm
Wiltshire - http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/school-term-date-calendar
Cornwall - Easter one week earlier so weeks 13/14 http://www.redruth.cornwall.sch.uk/content/calendar/Term%20dates%202007-8.pdf. New avg - holiday: 12.6, non holiday: 12.84
Dorset - Easter one week earlier so weeks 13/14 http://www.dorsetforyou.com/index.jsp?articleid=351463. New avg - holiday: 12.6, non holiday: 12.84
Birmingham- Easter one week earlier so weeks 13/14 http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/termdates.bcc. New avg - holiday: 12.6, non holiday: 12.84
Devon - May half term one week forward so 22/23 http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/learning/schools/termdates.htm. New avg - holiday: 12, non holiday: 13.1

Weisheit

doicare said:
What you fail to realise is each county council sets it's own dates and will be slightly different
Which, in turn, means your initial argument is on even shakier ground than before. You still haven't shown any relation whatsoever between the two sets of data. Or, does the simple act of saying something now make it fact?

doicare

BishopLamont said:
Again more anecdotal, well done.

No you saying im wrong without proof.

BishopLamont said:
So you haven't checked these dates, and yet you already picked the dates in that list..More evidence you're just handpicking dates.

No i did check the dates of several schools as well as my local school and they match the dates i put down. I've already stated that each concil sets their own dates but they are all very similar so some will be slightly different.

Neomoto

BishopLamont said:
I done the work for him.
:lol I actually laughed at the bolded parts. While we are going there anyway, why not count all the foreign kids who go on vacation in the UK and collectively buy games over there!

Leezard said:
I think every school kid would like to get a holiday whenever Nintendo sold well.
"In mother Russia, every day is a holiday!"

doicare

Weisheit said:
He doesn't need proof, you do. You're the making the ridiculous claims.

Yes i can already tell that the fanboys won't let this one go so please go ahead and live in a world where you think the last week of term in the uk less work in class and less home work after class isn't given out.

Weisheit

doicare said:
Yes i can already tell that the fanboys won't let this one go so please go ahead and live in a world where you think the last week of term in the uk less work in class and less home work after class isn't given out.
Yeah, umm, ok.:lol

doicare said:
No you saying im wrong without proof.
You really have no clue do u?

doicare said:
Yep you really don't.

Top Bottom